Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've only been front of house and I can't imagine putting a pressurized can of anything anywhere near the deepfry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS
I saw a lime make its way into a fryer once. It made a mess, but fortunately no one was hurt. That place was a poo poo show.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

One place I used to work had some grates over the stove top for resting sizzle platters on. Occasionally new cook hires would stick a grill lighter up there as it seems like a logical place to do it. If one of the older guys didn't catch them doing it eventually we'd be treated to the sight/sound of the lighter exploding or shooting off like a bottle rocket.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Doing a hotel opening that is not terribly interesting in most respects except for this sexy stove picture.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

infiniteguest posted:

Doing a hotel opening that is not terribly interesting in most respects except for this sexy stove picture.

What hotel?

Friend of mine just opened a new place in a hotel in Portland, OR. They spent 2mil on kitchen equipment. That's my loving wet dream. Meanwhile I'm fighting for 85k to replace our 30 year old floors.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
I'll get back to you on that after some NDA stuff expires. The budget process has been complicated, but also the equipment is pretty gangster. I'm sure we'll break it all by December. Here's a glamour shot of the guest bathroom.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

We have an outdoor patio for service. Today a door was left open, and a blue jay chased two sparrows into the dining room. One sparrow flew into a window and stunned itself, the other flew into a sitting room in the front, and the blue jay has been flying around our dining room for three hours now. It has shat on 3 tables so far. Help, a bird is menacing my customers.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Shabadu posted:

Help, a bird is menacing my customers.

Make it the GM.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

Make it the GM.

Give it partial ownership.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This weekend's shifts:

1400-2200
0800-2200
0800-2200

:suicide:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Shabadu posted:

We have an outdoor patio for service. Today a door was left open, and a blue jay chased two sparrows into the dining room. One sparrow flew into a window and stunned itself, the other flew into a sitting room in the front, and the blue jay has been flying around our dining room for three hours now. It has shat on 3 tables so far. Help, a bird is menacing my customers.

Cowboy up and swat that fucker out of there.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

iospace posted:

This weekend's shifts:

1400-2200
0800-2200
0800-2200

:suicide:

Well at least you know exactly, to the minute, when you'll be sleeping.

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

Hello industry thread. As of 3 weeks ago I have my first restaurant job and as of today I have read every page of this thread for some reason. In case anyone was curious this was my favorite part

Secret Spoon posted:

Look this is my drunk post thread and I literally don't understand why people are down on cdc. Dudes chill and likes his job. hes a professional and isn't worth dog piling. Let's get back to the heart of this thread, the dumb poo poo that drives us to drink. So we hired this new chick who said she had fine dining experience 2 weeks ago; her first night on the floor was two days ago. Her first table orders a bottle of champagne, and I guess she has only ever seen champagne opened on a rap video cause she went full twerk and shook the bottle, popping it on the customer and what not. What a night.

Secret Spoon posted:

I mean full on booty shaking hoes.

Anyway, I work in an above average Italian restaurant in San Antonio. Since I came in with zero experience I was hired for dish. After 3 shifts in dish pit I was moved to pantry. After 2 shifts of pantry I was cross trained to the pizza oven. Since then 2 cooks have quit because their hours were halved while I'm scheduled for 50+ a week. Monday I start training on sauté. Half of the remaining cooks hate me and talk poo poo about me constantly but somehow still don't realize I understand Spanish fairly well. Our chef talks to me like I'm retarded but also singles me out for 1 on 1 demos of the nightly specials to make sure things go out properly if he has to leave the kitchen for whatever reason. I don't really know how to explain why any of this is happening to me but it sure is a hell of a drama filled ride. That's my life story for the last few weeks, thanks for reading.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Jaweeeblop posted:

Hello industry thread. As of 3 weeks ago I have my first restaurant job and as of today I have read every page of this thread for some reason. In case anyone was curious this was my favorite part

Anyway, I work in an above average Italian restaurant in San Antonio. Since I came in with zero experience I was hired for dish. After 3 shifts in dish pit I was moved to pantry. After 2 shifts of pantry I was cross trained to the pizza oven. Since then 2 cooks have quit because their hours were halved while I'm scheduled for 50+ a week. Monday I start training on sauté. Half of the remaining cooks hate me and talk poo poo about me constantly but somehow still don't realize I understand Spanish fairly well. Our chef talks to me like I'm retarded but also singles me out for 1 on 1 demos of the nightly specials to make sure things go out properly if he has to leave the kitchen for whatever reason. I don't really know how to explain why any of this is happening to me but it sure is a hell of a drama filled ride. That's my life story for the last few weeks, thanks for reading.

Upscale Italian in San Antonio? Which one of Dadys shops are you at?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I only know of a handful of upscale Italian place in SA, your chef probably knows my chef.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I only know of a handful of upscale Italian place in SA, your chef probably knows my chef.

There are only a handful in San Antonio that are upscale... but there are a bunch of upper mid level, like the Aldo/Lucianno local chains.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Shabadu posted:

Man that's cool. I wish the ducks around the ponds nearby would come up and say hi once in a while.

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Upscale Italian in San Antonio? Which one of Dadys shops are you at?

Not quite, I stand by what I said about being above average but I don't think we're on that level. The place I work rates higher than his places on all the major review sites but I have to guess he is a step up from us and just gets pretentious douches leaving negative reviews due to reputation and ridiculous expectations. Never eaten at any of his restaurants but from pictures his food is plated much nicer and looks tastier than ours. i think our pizza looks nicer than his but that's about it.

I'm not going to say where I work but if you want to keep guessing I'm on the north side of town near Helotes.

In other news management rehired a sauté cook that was fired a few months ago for drinking on the job. Dude is a workhorse. Tough to gauge someone after 1 shift working together but so far he has a monster work ethic and unlike most of the other cooks he steps over to my station sometimes to show me easier ways to do things. Feels nice having someone around that wants to help me improve. Since he's back I won't be training sauté anymore but I think more time learning pantry and pizza is more beneficial than rocketing through every station anyway. Can't wait to see what this week brings my way.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Tiu Steppi's Osteria

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
So my province (Ontario) is potentially looking at a minimum wage hike to $15/hour across the board, and instituting paid sick days and vacation pay increases (currently 2 weeks a year). Facebook and the newspapers are currently a shitstorm of "This is awesome and good for people and long overdue" and "What the gently caress government this is going to destroy small businesses and gently caress X, Y, and Z industries into the ground". It's fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Naelyan posted:

So my province (Ontario) is potentially looking at a minimum wage hike to $15/hour across the board, and instituting paid sick days and vacation pay increases (currently 2 weeks a year). Facebook and the newspapers are currently a shitstorm of "This is awesome and good for people and long overdue" and "What the gently caress government this is going to destroy small businesses and gently caress X, Y, and Z industries into the ground". It's fun.

Well, everyone knows Seattle, San Francisco and Oakland had their entire restaurant industries completely and totally collapse when they increased the minimum wage.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Well, everyone knows Seattle, San Francisco and Oakland had their entire restaurant industries completely and totally collapse when they increased the minimum wage.

"But our cost of living is already so high! Other places don't have to deal with that!" <------ actual argument I got from someone

after pointing out nordic countries and san francisco to them

so

i've been arguing on the internet a lot lately and it's kind of depressing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Naelyan posted:

"But our cost of living is already so high! Other places don't have to deal with that!" <------ actual argument I got from someone

after pointing out nordic countries and san francisco to them

so

i've been arguing on the internet a lot lately and it's kind of depressing

Ahahaha. High cost of living is why you increase minimum wage, it's not the cause of it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Skwirl posted:

Exactly. It may hurt a few places that are already on the edge of going under now, but at the same time every restaurant I ever worked in always employed exactly as few people as it could get away with, so there really isn't any room for layoffs.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Current minimum is $11.40/hour so to $15 is like a 24% increase. Had some guy tell me (even after clarifying) that if we were to raise minimum that the cost of living would go up at least 24% as a result.

people are fuckin stupid man

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Naelyan posted:

Hey I'm in Alberta and we're in the process of doing that too. $15/hr by 2018.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Exactly. It may hurt a few places that are already on the edge of going under now, but at the same time every restaurant I ever worked in always employed exactly as few people as it could get away with, so there really isn't any room for layoffs.

All restaurants are constantly on the edge of going under, increasing wages across the board would probably stabilize things a bit. Can't get undercut pricewise for paying a living wage if everyones doing it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tunicate posted:

All restaurants are constantly on the edge of going under

Not even close. Restaurants that aren't smart enough to get a liquor license and have a decent bar before opening are more likely to be in that situation.

You want to make money? Be a bar that has food. Alcohol sales are how you make money. Food sales are great and all, but booze makes money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The argument that pisses me off the most is people in harder jobs that don't pay enough arguing that restaurant workers (or cashiers or whatever other minimum wage job) don't deserve the money. If an EMT is making the same as a dishwasher it doesn't mean the dishwasher is over payed, it means the EMT is under payed.

And honestly if someone thinks there life would be better if they were a dishwasher they should go be a dish washer, most places I've worked could always use a reliable dish washer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Skwirl posted:

The argument that pisses me off the most is people in harder jobs that don't pay enough arguing that restaurant workers (or cashiers or whatever other minimum wage job) don't deserve the money. If an EMT is making the same as a dishwasher it doesn't mean the dishwasher is over payed, it means the EMT is under payed.

And honestly if someone thinks there life would be better if they were a dishwasher they should go be a dish washer, most places I've worked could always use a reliable dish washer.

Bucket of crabs fallacy right there. Also, pretty much every argument gets dumpstered here: http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/heres-how-every-argument-against-a-minimum-wage-hike-is-1728874042

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not even close. Restaurants that aren't smart enough to get a liquor license and have a decent bar before opening are more likely to be in that situation.

You want to make money? Be a bar that has food. Alcohol sales are how you make money. Food sales are great and all, but booze makes money.
Yeah if you've got a bar things are definitely a lot more stable. IIRC for a pure (non-chain) restaurant the average profit margin is really slim (generally low single digit percentages), so slight overall declines in revenue can slip into a net loss fairly easily. Of course that's a bit of a selection bias since the ones that come up with a very successful formula often end up making a chain to capitalize on it.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 24, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
open a liquor store if you want to make money selling booze while paying your workers minimum wage

don't open a restaurant at all, for any reason

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
tbh though, restaurants with a brewery attached do pretty well though right? I mean yeah, food ain't gonna be where you make your money, alcohol floats everything, but when you're making your own alcohol at $15c/pint and selling it for $5-7....

dunno, please convince me not to throw all my money away and try to open a restaurant. please.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mindphlux posted:

tbh though, restaurants with a brewery attached do pretty well though right? I mean yeah, food ain't gonna be where you make your money, alcohol floats everything, but when you're making your own alcohol at $15c/pint and selling it for $5-7....

dunno, please convince me not to throw all my money away and try to open a restaurant. please.

Open a brewery and tasting room with me. That would be fun.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mindphlux posted:

Consider the regulatory overhead, depending on state. Getting a license to manufacture alcoholic beverages can be a stone bitch.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

Consider the regulatory overhead, depending on state. Getting a license to manufacture alcoholic beverages can be a stone bitch.

That's why you do it in Texas. Dead simple and cheap.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

This so much. Booze makes way more money and is way less overhead costs.

JawKnee posted:

open a liquor store if you want to make money selling booze while paying your workers minimum wage

don't open a restaurant at all, for any reason

But also this.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The west min wage hikes apparently have been a factor in pushing mediocre restaurants to close while the two extremes of cheap/good are untouched. Hope you don't work in a mediocre hellhole.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

making servers responsible for bringing in their own pens is more common than the establishment providing pens, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Trebuchet King posted:

making servers responsible for bringing in their own pens is more common than the establishment providing pens, right?

:lol: no

• Locked thread