Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I both hate Jaha and love him. He has a martyr/god/Moses complex but drat if he's not right most of the time in the end.

Boris Galerkin posted:

- I really like what they did with Octavia. I think she would have made a good leader or at least have a good shot at it because she seemed to understand that you need to make hard calls sometimes even if it means murdering "your" people. Was a nice touch to show her almost crying to herself on several occasions. Plus she absolutely made the call to do it without wavering back and forth like Clark or the rest of them would do. Jesus she was about to murder all 364 or whatever people in that room :stare:.

Yeah, it's pretty cool how the show for years played it up like Clarke was the main character, and she had all the answers. Then they really played it up like she was going to be the next Commander, especially this season when she came thisclose. And as they are so good at doing, they swerved and basically Octavia is now the main character, leader, and new Commander. Next season could be a time jump where we see the Bunker in a few years as a society ruled by the iron fist of Octavia, lording up up over her Skycru slaves who keep the lights on for the Grounder elite.

OTOH it's kinda lame that even the Grounders are letting a mentally wounded child dictate the future of humanity, someone who has a chip on her shoulder about her "unfair" treatment as a child which was dictated by the laws and traditions of her society (which are no less valid or more fair than those of the Grounders).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Grounders are traditionally ruled by a child.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Astroman posted:

OTOH it's kinda lame that even the Grounders are letting a mentally wounded child dictate the future of humanity, someone who has a chip on her shoulder about her "unfair" treatment as a child which was dictated by the laws and traditions of her society (which are no less valid or more fair than those of the Grounders).

Considering that the Grounders have traditionally been led by a child who had been forced to kill all of his or her friends and then had an AI chip implanted in their neck, this probably isn't anything new for them.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So the season finale is next week?

Anyway this last episode:

- I really like what they did with Octavia. I think she would have made a good leader or at least have a good shot at it because she seemed to understand that you need to make hard calls sometimes even if it means murdering "your" people. Was a nice touch to show her almost crying to herself on several occasions. Plus she absolutely made the call to do it without wavering back and forth like Clark or the rest of them would do. Jesus she was about to murder all 364 or whatever people in that room :stare:.

I think the "Octavia makes the hard calls" thing was undercut a little by the Nyla situation. "Skaicru, hurry up and pick your survivors. Hey, stop being mean to that person who isn't one of you but is kind of my friend, now she gets one of your spots! Also my brother definitely gets one."

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Pike never would have let this poo poo happen.

Instead, a hundred years in a bunker with some dirt-farming inbreds who worship the Apple logo. I wonder if the air scrubbers are built to hand a hundred oil drum fires?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's honestly a blessing Octavia ended up in the position she did, because she's the only person who's able to command the respect of the clans while simultaneously understanding enough of the tech situation to keep them from loving things up too badly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vermain posted:

It's honestly a blessing Octavia ended up in the position she did, because she's the only person who's able to command the respect of the clans while simultaneously understanding enough of the tech situation to keep them from loving things up too badly.

Yeah, everyone is kind of hosed if O or Clarke aren't in charge, or close to who is in charge. Kane comminucates and understands the grounders fine, but those two have bloody reputations, and the grounders hold strength very highly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I feel like one of the points they are trying or should be making is that there are no more grounders anymore—there's only humanity and they are all in the same boat now.

There's absolutely no way it would have worked out without Octavia being the de facto leader of the "onecrew." She's the one that brought them altogether, and in every single of of their eyes she's clearly the strongest and most capable warrior out of all of them by virtue of beating all other 12 champions. Plus the whole title "sky ripper" or death from above is kind of saying a lot.

Without Octavia there is no "onecrew." I think that the smarter ones of the original grounders realize that they do need these skinny tech people to keep the bunker running smoothly but I think they also realize that they can either work together and cooperators or they can just enslave the people who know how to run the machinery and cull the rest. I think they could respect Kane as a statesman, but I don't know if they could respect Clark either since she's kind of their boogeyman. In fact wasn't Clark only alive in this season because Capt Vane didn't let them kill her? Can Clark even fight now that I think about it?

(Also now that I think about it some more does Octavia know how to shoot a gun? I noticed she didn't pick one up and from all I can remember she always fought with a sword. Actually the grounders picking up those rifles seems dumb too because I thought none of them knew how to shoot a gun since it's always been taboo. Wouldn't they end up hurting a bunch of friendlies from not knowing how to shoot?)

If they really do go up to space I hope they end up doing a time skip for next season. I'd rather not spend a season watching 7 people trying not to murder each other in space. It would be neat if they skipped 5 years and showed them coming back to an earth where all 1000+ people have fully assimilated into whatever new culture is gonna pop up and they're just like "Clark? Yeah we remember you but we have no use for you now so just go away okay? Seriously we've been fine and living a good live without you. We have farmers and engineers and education now. Just please go away and don't gently caress it up for us."

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 19, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Octavia is a committed paleo murderer

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Octavia should have reserved spots for all Skicru people and than shared the rest with the grounders. It would be perfectly fair:

- they found the bunker
- they offered to share it before and the grounders wanted it all for themselves
- they are the ones who knows how to operate it
- the grounders have always been assholes to them
- they won the loving thunderdome the grounders themselves demanded

But then again, she was left out by them, and would have died if wanst for her brother, and that after she fought to death for these people. So it kinda make sense that she was pissed off and didnt wanted to give skicru any more than the others had

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

(Also now that I think about it some more does Octavia know how to shoot a gun? I noticed she didn't pick one up and from all I can remember she always fought with a sword. Actually the grounders picking up those rifles seems dumb too because I thought none of them knew how to shoot a gun since it's always been taboo. Wouldn't they end up hurting a bunch of friendlies from not knowing how to shoot?)

Indra used a gun at the end of season three.

Anyway, I've obviously not seen any of season four yet, but I'm aware of the general thrust of the plot. One thing I've become curious about vis-a-vis speculation for season five is whether or not the series could continue without Clarke - from what I understand, season four has set her up for a fall, and what if it's the biggest fall of all?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I have a feeling that the very specific time set of five years before it's safe topside means we'll get a time skip. Maybe not right away, but it's happening. Assuming they don't pull a solution out their rear end in the finale.

It's been four seasons and they've only covered about a year of time, if that. A time skip would help put some space between the characters and all the crazy poo poo they've done or had happen to them, and hopefully give the people in the bunker time to actually be one crew for next season.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean, one of the greatest benefits of firearms is that you can put one in someone's hands, drill them daily, and have a reasonably competent marksman within a few weeks. Maybe not disciplined enough to join a SWAT team, but if you'd be engaged in what amounted to be gang warfare, you wouldn't need hyper advanced training with guns beyond "cushion with your shoulder, here's how to reload".

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

esperterra posted:

I have a feeling that the very specific time set of five years before it's safe topside means we'll get a time skip. Maybe not right away, but it's happening. Assuming they don't pull a solution out their rear end in the finale.

It's been four seasons and they've only covered about a year of time, if that. A time skip would help put some space between the characters and all the crazy poo poo they've done or had happen to them, and hopefully give the people in the bunker time to actually be one crew for next season.

Should be, or else we are going to have a full season where half of the characters are in a boring bunker and the other half in an almost empty station in space

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
So are we going to end up with a lone, warrior queen Genghis Clarke wandering the irradiated countryside as a nightblood for 5 years?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Well, uh. gently caress.

About that time skip.

Uh. About that other station..?

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 25, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess it was a corporation space station. That had enough prisoners to need a transport. I bet they did evil science on them because why not.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Poor spaceship. It has no idea what it just landed in the middle of. Ghengis Clarke must feed her young.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Poor spaceship. It has no idea what it just landed in the middle of. Ghengis Clarke must feed her young.

Genghis Clarke doesn't want to be fed. Genghis Clarke wants to HUNT.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What if

There was another space station up there that had no radio communications down to earth or to another space station. And this other space station was running out of oxygen and their scientists and leaders determined that the earth was probably safe enough to support life, but to make sure they send down about a hundred select teenage misfits to test the idea.

And upon landing they run into Clark who they deem a "grounder" because they found her on the ground and presumably she's been here the whole time.

And they think she's crazy because she keeps talking about a "bunker" filled with other "grounders" who are supposedly technologically advanced enough to have oxygen scrubbers and hydroponic farms and whatever. And also 11/12 of them are fierce warriors and they're all led by a young woman/commander.

🤔

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clarke, you're totally owning that hair cut.

I'd like to see Bellamy as a prison guard on that ship.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Bill Paxton, Lance Henrickson and Sigorney Weaver are all on that ship. All of next season is just Aliens as told from the other side.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loving love this show.

e: like, in a season that's kind of been about everything comin full circle for so many people, then the show also going full circle itself w/ the arkers becoming more like mt weather, then everyone finally coming together as one clan of grounders.

After that, I am fully here for a spin on season one from the opposite perspective. I've had no issue with the amount of infighting/etc between the arkers, grounders etc. After what's happened, being in the bunker 6yr, we have to move forward with them as a united people. There will prob be drama and power struggles within, w/e, but bonded through survival underground/in the sky and having a common, outside enemy.

Who knows how long into the season it will take to get the bunker dug up, or Raven ans co on the ground, though! Going to be just Clarke and her nightblood ward for a while, I'd imagine. Either way the show is shaking it up at just the right moment, imo.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 25, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Full circle... i don't like that. Sound suspiciously like good bye.

Mooners, prisoner dump, Octavia Queen of the Moles, Arkers are going to repel boarders from the Moon. HALI is in full defensive mode.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
So why are the people in the bunker still in there a year after they had to be? How did Clarke survive? Who is the girl? Will this administration ever bring The Hamburglar to justice?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She said Polis had collapsed on top of the bunker.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rocksicles posted:

She said Polis had collapsed on top of the bunker.

Good thing a ship from an asteroid mining penal colony just showed up !

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Still hoping that when they open the bunker that everyone inside is dead because they kicked out too many Arkers who knew how to repair the life support systems.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm hoping Octavia walks out with a couple hundred drug free Cannibals.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That was a pretty great episode overall, except I found it pretty ridiculous that Clarke made it.

I don't know if I can deal with a lunar colony or something like that, so I hope they just repurposed some wreckage or whatever. Will be interesting to see how they manage to pass the time there, though.

Switching between the three locations is hopefully going to make the storytelling easier so we won't linger with boring c-plots too much.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ufarn posted:

That was a pretty great episode overall, except I found it pretty ridiculous that Clarke made it.

I guess that pad might've been stocked well enough. I'm sure we'll get something approaching a proper (if silly) explanation next season.

Thumbs up to whoever guessed correctly that the asteroid mining colony would makes its appearance.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vermain posted:

I guess that pad might've been stocked well enough. I'm sure we'll get something approaching a proper (if silly) explanation next season.

Thumbs up to whoever guessed correctly that the asteroid mining colony would makes its appearance.

I'm guessing Clarke survived because she has magic nightblood. So shortly after the Praimfaya wave passed, her magic healing blood allowed her to travel out into an irradiated land before returning back to heal any radiation damage.

Although, I also agree that there is no way she should have made it back to the pad in the first place.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Well, it's less, "How did she survive the radiation?" (which was set up in advance with the nightblood) and more, "How did she survive on an Earth stripped completely and totally barren of all plant and animal life for 5 years?"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Vermain posted:

Oh I didn't even think about the food situation, too, I just meant how she was hanging close to some hellfire, and it literally bit her in the rear end as she rushed to the bunker. Just made the threat seem very ad hoc, but I guess they thought it'd add more tension.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Honestly, it's been hard to take the death wave seriously ever since they first showed it. That's the sort of thing you'd get from a reactor meltdown in the loving Doom universe, and not the (supposedly) real one they're inhabiting.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't she have a cryo-toob?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
As someone who has been pretty critical of the last 2 seasons, I have to say that this season finale was pretty cool. We had some good character moments, some nice action scenes, and it ends with a pretty good set up for future stories, even if it does feel a bit like the writers pressing the reset button because they ran out of ideas. For the first time in a long time, I'm actually kind of looking forward to the next episode of this show.

If nothing else, at least we no longer have to pretend that all of these actors in their 20s and 30s are teenagers.

Though I couldn't help but roll my eyes at how they were treating the GoSci ring air as if it wasn't breathable at all, when it really should have been, considering that Jaha was able to breathe it right up until the moment he left. Sure, he was hallucinating and possibly brain-damaged, but he didn't fall unconscious within seconds.

I was also annoyed by how, after they had some nice zero-g effects in the spaceship, after they got onboard the ring the show went back to its old habits of half the time forgetting that a ring-shaped space station actually has to, you know, spin to generate artificial gravity. All they had to do was toss in a line about how they activated the "emergency rotation thrusters" to give them gravity so that they can move around the ring easier, and then made the window view (which was computer generated anyway) spin a bit.

Vermain posted:

Well, it's less, "How did she survive the radiation?" (which was set up in advance with the nightblood) and more, "How did she survive on an Earth stripped completely and totally barren of all plant and animal life for 5 years?"

My fanwank for this is that ALIE had some kind of farm on the island. Her mutant butler had to eat something, and presumably the food would also be traded to Emori and other mutant tech scavengers, seeing as how they lived in a desert. So Clarke got the seeds and stuff from there, and even if she couldn't farm outside during the early years she could still gather up a bunch of soil from outside and then set up an indoor farm, a la Matt Damon in The Martian. The solar array would give her plenty of power, and even if she didn't have proper growlights, I'm sure that a bunch of ordinary light bulbs tied together would work okay.

But yeah, it would have been nice to address this in dialogue. And they already had Clarke giving a mini-expo dump at the end, so you'd think it would have been easy to toss in a line or two about just how she had survived all this time.

Maybe we'll get some flashbacks next season.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 25, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They've already confirmed we'll be getting flashbacks for the 3 groups.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Kane and Abby will have had a new kid in the interim to replace Clarke. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

esperterra posted:

They've already confirmed we'll be getting flashbacks for the 3 groups.

That's good. There are some really interesting potential stories there.

Also, further reflecting on the finale, it's kind of hilarious how they've set things up so that they can effortlessly write out literally any character except the lead and a character who was only introduced in this episode. All they have to do is write in a line about how the character had an accident or got cancer or something and died offscreen sometime during the 6 year time skip. I'm willing to bet that Isaiah Washington wasn't the only actor who they have had problems with in contract negotiations. That and/or they're really bitter over what happened when ACD got cast on FtWD, and want to make drat sure that it won't happen again this time.

• Locked thread