Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not a show with full length episodes, but how much does it cost to make a season of Teekyuu?

*opens up wallet*

Wow, I'm pretty broke! I barely have enough to fund three seasons of Teekyuu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not a show with full length episodes, but how much does it cost to make a season of Teekyuu?

shin itagaki's yearly salary divided by two

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

though gakuen handsome was funded for ~$18.5k and that was basically BL teekyu

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

That'd be legitimately awesome

Crowdfund all the violence

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
stretch goals:
1 dollar: one blood spray
10 dollars: ten blood sprays
1000 dollars: one thousand blood sprays
10000 dollars: the blood looks even more like strawberry jam
100000 dollars: geist is naked for the entire ova

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember how WB was pursuing Jordan Peele to direct Akira?

Well, he turned it down in favor of working on a Lovecraftian HBO drama .

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Waffleman_ posted:

i think, that is the better move

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm glad he's doing that instead of the Akira remake starring Keanu Reeves. (If that's the one you're talking about.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm glad he's breaking the cycle of "New director makes successful low budget movie and is immediately tasked with helming a big budget tentpole blockbuster."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he got into filmmaking to make weird movies nobody's made before so i'm honestly not surprised he turned down making a dumb live-action american version of a classic manga to pursue an original series

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

original premises, like keanu

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Akira manga is a lot bigger than the movie, right? So an American adaptation that draws from the stuff that wasn't included in the original movie could be interesting.

Or they could just bolt imagery from the movie onto a stock plot and call it good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Colonel posted:

he got into filmmaking to make weird movies nobody's made before so i'm honestly not surprised he turned down making a dumb live-action american version of a classic manga to pursue an original series

The series is an adaptation of a novel, but it still follows because it's a Lovecraftian story set in Jim Crow Chicago, which seems like a logical step after Get Out.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

stretch goals:
1 dollar: one blood spray
10 dollars: ten blood sprays
1000 dollars: one thousand blood sprays
10000 dollars: the blood looks even more like strawberry jam
100000 dollars: geist is naked for the entire ova

Any rules?

Only one... spend!!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

Crowdfund all the violence

American Akira with Johnny Tetsuo but all the riot scenes are just footage from Berkeley run through a hundred gray filters in post.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 18, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The series is an adaptation of a novel, but it still follows because it's a Lovecraftian story set in Jim Crow Chicago, which seems like a logical step after Get Out.

That sounds potentially cool, I hope it's good.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Watched the first episode of Tsukigakirei. Seems to be a good show if you're into nervous kids talking softly to each other. Rendering style is kind of nice, I think.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is anyone else watching suka suka? I took a chance with it and the world building is pretty neat. It has a bit of a fatalist claymore vibe to it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Is anyone else watching suka suka? I took a chance with it and the world building is pretty neat. It has a bit of a fatalist claymore vibe to it.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm not entirely convinced it's smart enough to stick the landing like I want it to, and it could probably use more episodes than it has, but it's got a good shot at being my AOTS. It's a reasonably pretty show and I quite like its tone and character work.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I like that the main dude has pretty much given up on saving the world and just wants to make some doomed people's lives better :gbsmith:

The designs are extremely boring and parts of the story are poorly explained, so I have pretty low expectations. But I enjoy the characters and like each episode, so I'll stick with it.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

There Bias Two posted:

Two episodes in, I quite like it. Seems like a decent fantasy anime with some really​ likeable characters, and not as aggressively bland as say, Granblue.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I'm not too sure about the pace they've chosen though.
They're doing 3 episodes per volume of source material. That worked fine for the first three episodes because nothing too important was skipped, but episodes 4-6 felt a lot more compressed.
It also means they're going to end this at the end of volume 4 (of 5 volumes in total). That's a really mean place to stop at, unless they're planning to do the final volume as 4 OVA episodes or a movie (it's longer than the other volumes).
Slowing down to 4 episodes per novel would have left them with enough material to finish things up with a 10 episode season 2, possibly more if they also take some content from the side story novel.

Also, the anime opened with a scene near the end of volume 3, so it would have made sense for that to be the final episode

Tamba fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 19, 2017

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A movie for the end might be nice, then (except for us not getting to see it for a year).

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqoYr68QgSk

or a movie for chuu2s

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

That's about the last thing I expected. Hope it's good like S1 instead of bad like S2.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last third of S1 is also pretty bad.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo that voiceover is perfect

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

make a sequel to something good instead!!!!

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

holy poo poo, was not expecting more chuunibyou to ever happen! this made my day.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

make a sequel to something good instead!!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's still just the guy who directed the show on it so i guess it's not like they're pulling away time from other people working on good shows

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Colonel posted:

it's still just the guy who directed the show on it so i guess it's not like they're pulling away time from other people working on good shows

there are many other things I'd rather Tatsuya Ishihara make!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Colonel posted:

It's Kyoani, so we wouldn't have to worry about that anyway.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

die

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

an actual dog posted:

there are many other things I'd rather Tatsuya Ishihara make!!

:pray:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Kyoani is good

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

maybe stair will get his dream of new amagi after all

but haruhi is dead forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Parallax posted:

maybe stair will get his dream of new amagi after all

but haruhi is dead forever
That's my dream too!!

Haruhi post-Disappearance is pretty mediocre so probably better it stays dead tbh.

• Locked thread