Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

n4 posted:

What? No you don't. You're not forced into using any mods.

Hell, you don't even have to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

3Romeo posted:

which got me to play Metro 2033 and Last Light again for the first time in a few years. I'd forgotten how good they were.

I was wondering what to play next, and this is a great idea.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I was wondering what to play next, and this is a great idea.

Metros are good. You could always replay Dead Space 1+2, or hell even System Shock 2 with balance and graphic update mods.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Waittt, I never even considered graphical upgrades for SS2 :eyepop: all those are very good suggestions.

I'm almost due a replay of the original Deus Ex.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
So I was floating around outside the station, and I came upon a derelict shuttle. Underneath it some ways looked to be a nightmare. I gloo gunned it a bunch and it floated off past the rad barrier where I can't follow. Is that bad? Does that matter at all?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You only need 1 water pressure regulator right? I somehow ended up with 2 and just want to make sure before I recycle it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RatHat posted:

You only need 1 water pressure regulator right? I somehow ended up with 2 and just want to make sure before I recycle it.

You only need one. On my second playthrough of the game during that quest, I grabbed the extra regulator from the Arboretum greenhouse before I met the chef and he told me the water was broken. If you do, he has special dialogue asking how you knew he would need it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi everyone. I just started playing. If I have a bunch of stuff I want to store, can I just drop it in my office or will it disappear forever if I leave the area + come back? I'm on PC.

I ask because I recycled some stuff and now I want to leave it at the fabricator.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I used the office as a base, and kept all my loot in the safe. It didn't despawn.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah I can confirm the desk drawers are also safe storage, stayed safe all game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Waittt, I never even considered graphical upgrades for SS2 :eyepop: all those are very good suggestions.

I'm almost due a replay of the original Deus Ex.

Original DX holds up shockingly well with a high res texture mod.

Which is good because we aren't getting any more in a hurry, if ever.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Electronic old men, running the world.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was re-entering the hardware bay? the place with 3 hostile bots and a machine that deploys bots from the airlock, and I got wrecked by a game crash.

Question: I'm playing this on hard. I'm barely hanging on like I was in SS2. Is that fine? Do I get more powerful later? Or, does the game get even harder? I'm playing on the couch with a keyboard and a ball mouse so I'm not Mr. Hardcore and I'm reloading often, but it is fun.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You will become much more powerful later. The last few hours of the game are pretty much about choosing how you want to instakill whatever is in front of you.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Was thinking about the ending and it occurred to me the fat guy mentioned in the psi eval in the intro is about your fat brother. On whether or not you would sacrifice him or not to save the people or the "train".

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
No, that question is a classic morality test in psychology (fun fact: psychopaths will push the fat guy, normal people will not push).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I liked this article relating to the trolley problem.

wired posted:

the researchers asked people if they’d buy one of these greater good-doing cars for themselves. Not a chance. People want cars that protect them and their passengers at all costs. They think it’s great if everyone else drives an ethical car, but they certainly don’t want one for their family.

PEOPLE WANT SELF-DRIVING CARS THAT SAVE LIVES. ESPECIALLY THEIRS

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 19, 2017

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Is metabolic boost worth the investment? It's only 2 mods, so it's not a huge deal but medkits seem plentiful enough and not having to carry around a bunch of food seems better, inventory management-wise.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Is metabolic boost worth the investment? It's only 2 mods, so it's not a huge deal but medkits seem plentiful enough and not having to carry around a bunch of food seems better, inventory management-wise.

I was never ever ever so desperate for healing that I was wishing my food went farther. I finished the game with like 30 medkits. Played on Hard. I didn't carry food around much, it either went into the recycler or I just ate it then and there like Bioshock guy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kurzon posted:

No, that question is a classic morality test in psychology (fun fact: psychopaths will push the fat guy, normal people will not push).

Yes but there is an achievement related to that so it works both ways.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Finished this game, liked it a lot. I wasn't into the combat at first but it gets better as you gain more abilities. I initially invested into typhon powers which were definitely strong, but when I ran out of useful typhon skills to buy I picked up the health/weapon damage/weapon upgrade/speed. Folks saying it turns you into Doomguy are totally right.

I maxed out hacking eventually too and I've gotta say, exploring is more fun when you can't hack and need to find a more obtuse way in. Having to stack crates/desks, drop a baseball glove out of your inventory on top of the crates, turn into the baseball glove, and then jump through a small gap is a lot more entertaining than walking up to the front door and playing a hacking minigame.

I'd say the main criticism I have is that the environments and enemies are very plain. Also, GUTS sucks nuts. Still had a blast though, and I hope this game sells well. I had 0 interest until reading this thread title, even as someone who thought the original Prey was okay.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I feel like GUTS would have benefited from better visual cues on what leads to where, the map was pretty useless.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The worst part was trying to find the dude for the Blackbox sidequests who was floating under the huge pipe

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd say that this game might just have the worst map ever made for a game that actually uses a map.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just thought it was my total lack of body sense in zero-g when you have six degrees of freedom, glad it wasn't just me having problems

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My biggest issue with it is just the flight controls being non-rebindable. Hours of elite and sublevel zero have made me very used to certain ascend and descend buttons, which do not happen to be the jump and crouch buttons I use in FPSs, which this game repurposes for ascend/descend.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Just completed it. Best FPS I've played since like....Half Life 2 maybe? It's the game I wanted Bioshock, Deus Ex: HR, and Dishonored to all be.

I just wish the difficulties were a little bit better balanced. Making the Level 3 Neuromods cost a lot more would have helped - the first 50% of the game was amazingly tense and I never felt powerful but by the last 1/3rd I was an unstoppable death god - combat focus 3 and fully upgraded shotgun made the game feel more like DOOM than System Shock.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I feel like GUTS would have benefited from better visual cues on what leads to where, the map was pretty useless.

Did you miss the signs on the wall? I guess they could be bigger

Lakbay posted:

The worst part was trying to find the dude for the Blackbox sidequests who was floating under the huge pipe

gently caress that part though. I flew up and down the length of the corridor and even looked for another way into GUTS before I just got lucky and slipped around the right way.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I gushed earlier in the thread about how the artwork of Fatal Fortress was a big old reference to Arx Fatalis but I only just released that the word Arx is an old word for fortress. Arkane :allears:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It's too bad there was no game within a game like the SS2 game boy thing. That little RPG was fun and you even got a cyber mod for beating it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Vargs posted:

I maxed out hacking eventually too and I've gotta say, exploring is more fun when you can't hack and need to find a more obtuse way in. Having to stack crates/desks, drop a baseball glove out of your inventory on top of the crates, turn into the baseball glove, and then jump through a small gap is a lot more entertaining than walking up to the front door and playing a hacking minigame.

The hacking minigame is terrible. The mods that one guy is working on to create more challenging playthroughs is good, but what I really want is one that makes hacking instantaneous as long as you have the required skill level.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Love this game while also rolling my eyes once a night when I am forced to revisit a previously cleared area filled with harder enemies, my turrets were all magically broken, and the game hard crashes.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The hacking minigame is terrible. The mods that one guy is working on to create more challenging playthroughs is good, but what I really want is one that makes hacking instantaneous as long as you have the required skill level.

It's good actually, but it's a bit weird how level 1-2 hacks are way harder than 3-4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I think it's just a case of it being too simple. If it had a bit more complexity to it, even a little, it'd be way better. Also, I still like the idea I posited a while back about the game auto-succeeding hacks that you are one level or more above in rank.

Palpek posted:

I'd say that this game might just have the worst map ever made for a game that actually uses a map.

I don't think I ever looked at the map a single time on my first playthrough. The areas are so compact and they're all so hard to get lost in that I didn't really ever need it!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The hacking mini game is not great but at least you don't have to play it every 30 seconds like in pipedreamshock

Prey also doesn't do the dumb thing the new deus ex games do either, where they make hacking something objectively better than just using the code/password you found, which means the mini game is old before you're even through the third level

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 19, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game is insanely hard. I might drop down to Easy because I don't really have the patience to figure my way out around everything.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Digirat posted:

Prey also doesn't do the dumb thing the new deus ex games do either, where they make hacking something objectively better than just using the code/password you found, which means the mini game is old before you're even through the third level

I spent a lot of time in the recent Deus Ex hacking things even if I already had the code or there was a huge hole in the wall right next to the door. Tying experience to a successful hack was a bad decision.

The hacking game in Prey is infrequent and simple enough that it's generally not grating, I just thought it showed a complete lack of effort. Between the first two Bioshock games, all three Dead Space games, the recent Deus Ex games, and Prey, I think this is the worst one. Bioshock 2 is probably the best of the lot surprisingly, since it had a clear design with risks and rewards and could be over in a second if you did it right. Prey's is incredibly basic and can get tedious, especially towards the end where the military operators show up and the most effective way of dealing with them is disabling a group and then doing several level 4 hacks in a row.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Pollyanna posted:

This game is insanely hard. I might drop down to Easy because I don't really have the patience to figure my way out around everything.

Maybe it's the product of playing way too much of Deus Ex, System Shock and Dishonored but even Hard difficulty wasn't that hard once I realized that almost every fight in the game is a cakewalk with stealth + shotgun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mirarant posted:

Maybe it's the product of playing way too much of Deus Ex, System Shock and Dishonored but even Hard difficulty wasn't that hard once I realized that almost every fight in the game is a cakewalk with stealth + shotgun.

Yeh. The game was difficult on Hard exactly up until the point where I found the shotgun, which I found even before I found a Pistol.
After that it was pretty easy on Hard even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bioshock 2 definitely had my favorite mini game yes. Keeping it 5-seconds-long simple but making you do it in real time where you could still control your character was a great decision