Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ER used to win so many Emmys it was ridiculous. It also had a character with AIDS treated respectfully and I never forgot that, remember this was in the early 90s. Also, George Clooney!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that all of Season 3 of 12 Monkeys will air this weekend with episodes Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.

4 episodes tonight, 3 each on Saturday and Sunday. Also it looks like no commercials for tonight?

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 19, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mu Zeta posted:

ER used to win so many Emmys it was ridiculous. It also had a character with AIDS treated respectfully and I never forgot that, remember this was in the early 90s. Also, George Clooney!

ER did some pretty dope stuff early on. It had that Tarantino episode (Between that and his two CSI episodes, I wish he'd do a bit more TV), the start of the world loving George Clooney (And his bobbing head), complicated medical jargon and Eriq La Salle doing some sort of kung-fu move in the opening credits.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I do need to finish Continuum, I had a really hard time trying to get back inti the final season.

I quit drinking again, so I find a lot of the shows I used to watch really boring...

Edit:

Is The Last Kingdom actually good?

That's a good list, I've watched quite of few of those.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe it's just me but it really felt like for the final season of Continuum that they had started writing the episodes before they found out they were canceled and then just kind of went with it anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Without saying too much: The general concept behind Kimmy Schmidt 303 is fudging brilliant and Tina Fey and her writers are gosh darn geniuses for finding a way to milk any humor out of it.

I was pretty amazed at the line where Kimmy calls the Reverend a coward who rapes people.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Continuum is a show that I can only stand to watch because I love scifi and time travel. It's actually really loving terribly written and the most like, shallow and bland concepts for each episode. Like it might be a step above Dark Matter.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

ER liked to tackle things like that, there was also the whole bundle of issues with Dr. Weaver being gay, disabled, and wanting to have a child. I want to say Dr. Benson(?) who had a deaf kid and they went through the whole cochlear implants debate. And the nurses poor working conditions.

But at its heart it was a soap opera where stupid poo poo like vengeful helicopters happened.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

IRQ posted:

ER liked to tackle things like that, there was also the whole bundle of issues with Dr. Weaver being gay, disabled, and wanting to have a child. I want to say Dr. Benson(?) who had a deaf kid and they went through the whole cochlear implants debate. And the nurses poor working conditions.

But at its heart it was a soap opera where stupid poo poo like vengeful helicopters happened.

The plan was always for the show to start with Carter as a medical student and then end when he becomes an attending physician. At some point though that changed and the show started really stretching itself with trips to the congo and helicopter drama.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Snak posted:

Oh, definitely.

But does scandal have like, clones and stuff? That might make me start watching it.

You can get everything worthwhile out of Scandal by just looking for Rowan/Eli's monologues​ on YouTube

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

These "violent redneck gets a weird power" X-files episodes are so boring.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not if you're a violent redneck.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ShakeZula posted:

You can get everything worthwhile out of Scandal by just looking for Rowan/Eli's monologues​ on YouTube

Well, that and this bit, which shows a presidential candidate doing a little casual debate prep a few weeks after she murdered someone in a crime of passion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVBKBT5WhE

I loving love this show that I no longer watch.

BTW, ER is responsible for "Hell or High Water," one of the best episodes of television ever produced. When people say that ER made George Clooney, they're talking about that episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Wrong.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

It had that Tarantino episode (Between that and his two CSI episodes, I wish he'd do a bit more TV)

Tarantino played a recurring villain in Alias, and that show was so weird that it probably doesn't even enter the upper tier of weird things they did on it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrVenkman posted:

The plan was always for the show to start with Carter as a medical student and then end when he becomes an attending physician. At some point though that changed and the show started really stretching itself with trips to the congo and helicopter drama.

ER doesn't get stupid until after maybe the sixth or seventh season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw one of the later episodes where I didn't recognize any of the characters except Carter and it was a straight up Breakfast Club homage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

Tarantino played a recurring villain in Alias, and that show was so weird that it probably doesn't even enter the upper tier of weird things they did on it.

The annoying thing is that he was the villain in a pretty good two-part episode and he's arrested at the end, and that could've been the end of the character, but instead they bring him back for a one-off appearance and suggest he's high up in the villainous conspiracy, then after that, nothing, because Quentin Tarantino's a busy guy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DivisionPost posted:

BTW, ER is responsible for "Hell or High Water," one of the best episodes of television ever produced. When people say that ER made George Clooney, they're talking about that episode.

That episode was so powerful, like some kind of televised singularity, that I saw it during its original broadcast despite never watching the show before or for many, many years afterward. I hadn't even seen an ad or anything to pique my interest, I was simply...compelled, at age 11, to say "Huh wonder what's going on tonight on ER."

(Fast forward eight seasons, the episode that got me to start watching ER? Romano's second encounter with the helicopter. No clue why I watched it, but then I was in. "This is compelling...and ridiculous. And it's got Donal Logue!")

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

GreenNight posted:

Not if you're a violent redneck.

Snak posted:

Wrong.

I knew it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
By the way Rarity, Xan is back in Kimmy Schmidt and she is on loving fire. (306) BUS LYFE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New season of 12 Monkeys is loving nuts.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

muscles like this! posted:

New season of 12 Monkeys is loving nuts.

My schedule for this weekend is clear. Im'a binge the poo poo out of Season 3.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm on the second to last episode of Timeless and I only now just realized they named a character "Rufus Carlin"

I can't decide if that's awesome or eye-rolling

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks for the heads up re: Outcast. It wasn't even on my radar but the pilot was real good (had no idea Wingard was involved).

Does it stay good/get better or is this another Kirkman Show where things start great and get rapidly worse?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's only got better. The story starts off slow, it continues to build though. I'm half way through what has aired of season 2

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm on the second to last episode of Timeless and I only now just realized they named a character "Rufus Carlin"

Not to mention Lucy Preston and Wyatt Logan

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

If you can't appreciate Eli Bly as an illiterate Appalachian witch doctor I don't know what to tell you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldSenileGuy posted:

There's B&T references in every episode.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

ShakeZula posted:

Not to mention Lucy Preston and Wyatt Logan

:wth:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Breaking up the 12 Monkeys binge into separate chunks was a good idea on Syfy's part. TBS has also experimented with the binge but they just ran the whole thing in a row, which is just exhausting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is it streamable on anything yet?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Timeless has the benefit of being one of the few shows where I was absolutely hoping the "Bad guy" would win somehow.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mulva posted:

Timeless has the benefit of being one of the few shows where I was absolutely hoping the "Bad guy" would win somehow.

It really needs to take a Legends of Tomorrow-style turn into embracing the absurd.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was a bit disappointed they weren't making massive changes to the timeline like the pilot implied they'd be doing, but I liked some of the stuff they did towards the end, where they started doing things like teaming up with Harry Houdini to save Thomas Edison and take down HH Holmes. More of that would be great.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Snak posted:

Is The Last Kingdom actually good?

It's a solid Vikings-lite show and unintentionally hilarious how much the main characters stubbornness get's him into trouble.

precision posted:

Thanks for the heads up re: Outcast. It wasn't even on my radar but the pilot was real good (had no idea Wingard was involved).

Does it stay good/get better or is this another Kirkman Show where things start great and get rapidly worse?

It's a good slow-burn and things continue to pick up. I'm a few episodes into season 2 and should catch up.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Argue posted:

I was a bit disappointed they weren't making massive changes to the timeline like the pilot implied they'd be doing, but I liked some of the stuff they did towards the end, where they started doing things like teaming up with Harry Houdini to save Thomas Edison and take down HH Holmes. More of that would be great.

I know, right? I was waiting for all those changes to accumulate until one time they'd come back and America was founded by the French in the 1720s and stretched from the Missouri River to Hudson Bay or some insane thing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mulva posted:

I felt the same way about Continuum for a long time.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
There was a hint at a seriously different timeline in the finale with that brief flash...forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

That episode was so powerful, like some kind of televised singularity, that I saw it during its original broadcast despite never watching the show before or for many, many years afterward. I hadn't even seen an ad or anything to pique my interest, I was simply...compelled, at age 11, to say "Huh wonder what's going on tonight on ER."

(Fast forward eight seasons, the episode that got me to start watching ER? Romano's second encounter with the helicopter. No clue why I watched it, but then I was in. "This is compelling...and ridiculous. And it's got Donal Logue!")

Thanks to Sepinwall for reminding me, but 'Love's Labor Lost' from S1 is an outstanding hour of television. It's just Dr Greene having an increasingly lovely day.

• Locked thread