Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't know how rights work. Can a Venom movie mention Spider-Man/Peter Parker by name?

It'll be like Marvel Netflix or the first season of Supergirl and they just keep talking about the friendly neighborhood guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, Sony has the rights to both characters, but for some reason Sony wants Venom to be its own separate franchise. I really have no idea why.

You don't? I think it's quite clear why. They want a franchise they get all the returns on, unlike Spider-Man. And Venom is the next most popular character they own. It's pretty simple.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I can't think of a movie or role that wouldn't be better with Tom Hardy so good news.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The problem with that line of logic is that the list of things that define Venom's core concepts are as follows:

-Looks like Evil Spider-man
-Has Spider-man's powers but stronger
-Hates Spider-man
-Knows who Spider-man is
-Is like Spider-man but if he killed people

If you take away the Spider-man connection all you're left with is a slimy guy who kills people. It's not exactly as iconic or compelling.

Not really.

Most modern versions of Venom focus on the idea of him having shapeshifting tentacles and poo poo more than webbing. The rest of his powers are fairly generic super strength/enhanced speed/etc. He doesn't have Spider-Sense (aside from the few times they hint at it.) "Shapeshifting tentacle monster" defines Venom better than "guy with Spider powers" these days.

Likewise modern Venom is defined far more by the conflict between host and symbiote, either in terms of struggling with the urges or in terms of trying to keep it under control. Spider-Man is a part of it but only because he began as a Spider-Man villain before transitioning into an anti-hero. If you begin with him as an anti-hero then you don't need the villain parts and if you do the Flash Thompson version "Iraq War Vet who loses his legs and gets given a super suit with BIG DOWNSIDES" doesn't need Spider-Man at all.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The suit is also one of those things where like almost everything about it is cool as gently caress and totally changes your lifestyle. You don't need clothes anymore! Just walk around naked and let the suit do the work! But oh right it wants to kill, or to eat your blood, or something lovely.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

You don't? I think it's quite clear why. They want a franchise they get all the returns on, unlike Spider-Man. And Venom is the next most popular character they own. It's pretty simple.

Isn't the returns thing just due to the MCU deal? They were pushing a solo Venom movie years before that.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I guess Tom Hardy being obsessed with a high school student wouldn't be a good look, either.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kaesarsosei posted:

I can't think of a movie or role that wouldn't be better with Tom Hardy so good news.

He would have made a good Wolverine I think.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't the returns thing just due to the MCU deal? They were pushing a solo Venom movie years before that.
Before ASM2 fell flat they were ready to do the Sinister Six (which I think may have had Venom), as well as a solo Venom film (which has been in development off and on for more than a decade).

Now they are ready to do a Venom film for real it seems, and the last I checked they were trying to do a Silver Sable movie which nobody is asking for.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

No one was asking for a Guardians of the Galaxy film either, but it worked out all right. I think Silver Sable done properly could be a lot of fun.

Done properly.

If Sony does it properly.

So...

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

ImpAtom posted:

Not really.

Most modern versions of Venom focus on the idea of him having shapeshifting tentacles and poo poo more than webbing. The rest of his powers are fairly generic super strength/enhanced speed/etc. He doesn't have Spider-Sense (aside from the few times they hint at it.) "Shapeshifting tentacle monster" defines Venom better than "guy with Spider powers" these days.

Likewise modern Venom is defined far more by the conflict between host and symbiote, either in terms of struggling with the urges or in terms of trying to keep it under control. Spider-Man is a part of it but only because he began as a Spider-Man villain before transitioning into an anti-hero. If you begin with him as an anti-hero then you don't need the villain parts and if you do the Flash Thompson version "Iraq War Vet who loses his legs and gets given a super suit with BIG DOWNSIDES" doesn't need Spider-Man at all.

So they're just going to make a Prototype movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Fifty-second WW action clip.

Trigger warning: That Theme Again.

e: Speaking of which: a cool remix done by, from what I understand, the lady who played it in the original BvS soundtrack.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 20, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, shut up, I don't hate it, I just think it's a bit much

Electromax
May 6, 2007

teagone posted:

He would have made a good Wolverine I think.

I wonder what Hardy's version of the Thor movies would've been like.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Electromax posted:

I wonder what Hardy's version of the Thor movies would've been like.

They'd have had even more odd camera angles to make Hardy look tall.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrianWilly posted:

Fifty-second WW action clip.

Trigger warning: That Theme Again.

e: Speaking of which: a cool remix done by, from what I understand, the lady who played it in the original BvS soundtrack.

that is so loving goddamn cool

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like the Wonder Woman theme. It's a nice tune and I find it to be pretty memorable.

Please withhold your "MEMORABLY poo poo" one liner

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaunab posted:

So they're just going to make a Prototype movie.

Honestly pretty much. Prototype was basically Venom Without Venom to begin with. The Venom-takes-over-the-city 360 game was basically Prototype to begin with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

I like the Wonder Woman theme. It's a nice tune and I find it to be pretty memorable.

I agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1rBZIzr49k

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Holy gently caress.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Roth posted:

Please withhold your "MEMORABLY poo poo" one liner

I like it too, but on the other hand it feels... modern? A little odd with the WW1 stuff.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Why does she have a shield? They couldn't think of anything better than copying Captain America's moves? Wonder Woman should be lassoing Krauts.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

kaesarsosei posted:

I hope he goes full Bronson in this movie if we are getting it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wonder Woman's had a shield since like three reboots ago. So, for about a year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was really looking forward to 21 MiB Street :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

catlord posted:

I like it too, but on the other hand it feels... modern? A little odd with the WW1 stuff.

The rest of the music isn't period anyway.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wonder Woman's had a shield since like three reboots ago. So, for about a year.

From 1947

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I can't find a single photo of the flashback Kurt Russell on the entire goddamned internet and I want to fawn over his boyish good looks.

Someone help me out here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sockser posted:

I can't find a single photo of the flashback Kurt Russell on the entire goddamned internet and I want to fawn over his boyish good looks.

Someone help me out here.

I cannot help you because he had a CG jaw that unnerved me greatly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked when Wonder Woman started having a weapon that wasn't just a rope that made you tell the truth. A ancient Greek warrior woman should have a sword and shield.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Performed by the (no lie) NBC Chorus!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

catlord posted:

That kind of helps it, I think. It distinctly doesn't fit in with the time period, in the same way Wonder Woman doesn't.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That doesn't make any sense though, it doesn't fit the period she's from either

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Music of that style wasn't around in that time period.
Neither were magical Amazons who were crafted out of clay before being given life.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Wonder Woman Theme is absolutely the style of music they play in Themysciria.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

THANK you! I thought it was just me. He looked like he'd just had his wisdom teeth out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A Venom story or adaptation doesn't necessarily require a connection to Spider-Man but it's hard to have confidence in the idea when Sony is doing it because they're not sure how to make a successful Spider-Man movie/franchise and to hoard all the money for themselves.

But Tom Hardy is a cool choice so I'll keep an open mind.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lurdiak posted:

He had a Robert Zadar look going on that's for sure

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ookay there are more and more WW clips coming out and they're getting more and more spoilery and I'ma half to self-enforce a blackout soon but I liked this one so much that I'ma link it. Basically a short dialogue scene.

Folks are gonna make a fuss if I say it but it's gonna be said at some point anyway so I'm just gonna say it: the scenes I've seen so far definitely feel more like a Marvel film than a DC film. I can maybe...maybe see this sort of banter in Suicide Squad. But there is no trace whatsoever of MoS or BvS here.

More in depth thoughts: I can definitely see the hand of both Geoff Johns and Alan Heinberg here. A scene where someone holds the lasso and is unexpectedly forced to reveal something funny or self-deprecating is all Johns; he's used the lasso for comic effect like three or four times. Meanwhile the depiction of Steve as a spy, as someone who lies naturally and instinctively, can be traced to Heinberg's use of Tom Tresser during his WW arc.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sooooo desaturated and blue.

• Locked thread