Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

"I have more demore but mo' people be likin' you den me"

Holy poo poo. This episode is good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
575 and 576 are probably the best back to back eps in dare I say show history

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Near the end of 427 Jonathan tells Seth he will make him tell "the niacin story" in the next episode. I'm most of the way through 428 and haven't heard any such story. What is the niacin story.

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES
"If I ever win an oscar or something, I assure you that some of the words coming out of my mouth will be: 'I would also like to thank, my mother'"

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES
can't wait til jonathan wins that oscar and finally gets around to writing the album of the decade

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

H A T T A M posted:

"I have more demore but mo' people be likin' you den me"

Holy poo poo. This episode is good so far.

almost crashed my car laughing at this bit this morning. holy poo poo

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

This episode was the full Jah experience: bad writing from Young Jah, lots of stories about his weird life, and a 15 minute existential crisis to close everything out.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I feel that most people agree that lately it's been Seth oriented so this ep was so refreshing.

It's also nice to hear Ja be so self deprecating given how much dumb crap he's said lately.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Honestly if the were to stop UYD this would be the ep to do it on imho. But Jah, I have to say, your greatest contribution to this world will not be Jogger.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
It's really annoying how much Jah looks down on uyd imo.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's really annoying how much Jah looks down on uyd imo.

It's incredibly in-character for him.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It's incredibly in-character for him.

I guess so, but I end up just feeling bad for Seth. It feels like Seth has poured his entire life into this and Jah just casually shits on it whenever he feels like.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Why do you guys keep calling him Jah lol he even specifically talked about this on an old ep how he doesn't like that anymore.

And he does like the podcast otherwise why would he still be doing it 10 years later. I think it's just weird to look at a podcast as a form of artistic expression.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Anyone remember that clip where Seth was reading an article where some aging rock star (I think either Bono or Eddie Vedder) said "My best work is still ahead of me" and mocking it mercilessly? That's what Jah reminds me of.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Why do you guys keep calling him Jah lol he even specifically talked about this on an old ep how he doesn't like that anymore.

And he does like the podcast otherwise why would he still be doing it 10 years later. I think it's just weird to look at a podcast as a form of artistic expression.

but my personal possession of the show and its creators! why don't they think about me?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Alaois posted:

but my personal possession of the show and its creators! why don't they think about me?

huh?

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I guess so, but I end up just feeling bad for Seth. It feels like Seth has poured his entire life into this and Jah just casually shits on it whenever he feels like.

Well there was that quote Jonathan had fairly early into the show's run about how he was only doing UYD for Seth, since having the show to focus on helped keep him sober, and how he would immediately quit if Seth ever fell off the wagon. So it's pretty clear Jonathan doesn't care as much about the show as much as Seth does, and it's basically Jonathan doing a (long long long) favor for a friend.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I think Jah is stuck in a pubescent phase of managing the anxiety of aging by believing he isn't 'there' yet. What he doesn't know is when was reborn as a prophet he became there itself.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I think it's more that Seth is smart enough and aware enough to realize that they've achieved something few artists ever do: success. They have tens of thousands of listeners per episodes, an enormously enviable patreon, and regularly sell out shows all across America.

A big part of the "narrative" of UYD is that your dreams and fantasies will die. In your 20's you think that you're going to be the exception, that you'll be able to drive out to L.A. and become a famous actor or musician. What defines you is how you carry yourself after you realize that you're condemned to being normal. Seth and Johnathan didn't get to be what they wanted to be (just like everyone), which is why their later success in a completely unrelated field is so inspiring and relatable. It shows that there's hope on the other side of failure.

So yes, it's sad that Johnathan still doesn't fully understand that what he will be remembered for is UYD, but I think he's almost there, given that part at the end where he was piecing together that none of his favorite musicians started doing their best work at 40.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
just because johnathan never heard of mark e smith doesnt mean we can discount the fall

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

What do they make off the Patreon, roughly?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

there used to be numbers but i think that goal is set to 10k and it's at 79% so 7900 minus fees and stuff

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

speaking of patreon, lol

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Trabandiumium posted:

speaking of patreon, lol

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Trabandiumium posted:

speaking of patreon, lol

same

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Because I can never remember if it's Johnathan or Jonathan.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
Any of you making it out to the Seattle show tonight?

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Binowru posted:

Anyone remember that clip where Seth was reading an article where some aging rock star (I think either Bono or Eddie Vedder) said "My best work is still ahead of me" and mocking it mercilessly? That's what Jah reminds me of.

It was the edge from U2. I just heard it
Recently. It was early 200ish. It was even funnier thinking about it seven years later.

goferchan posted:

Because I can never remember if it's Johnathan or Jonathan.

This.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Pooky posted:

Any of you making it out to the Seattle show tonight?

Doors at 7, show at 8. Neptune Theater. I have an extra, PM me or post if you want it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pooky posted:

Doors at 7, show at 8. Neptune Theater. I have an extra, PM me or post if you want it.

I'm on the other side of the country but bless you . I had a nightmare of a time scoring tix for the last live show I went to

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

This is my 3rd show here, the crowd looks bigger than in the past. Really happy so many people bought this tickets.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Fantastic show. I even got to tell "that couple" to shut the gently caress up. I think Seth would have approved.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Pooky posted:

Fantastic show. I even got to tell "that couple" to shut the gently caress up. I think Seth would have approved.

Hero

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

If anyone else finds stories about John Srs. sobriety compelling, this is good listening : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lulyxjrKuXY

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Seattle live ep is up and it's 1h50, hell yeah

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Whatever, we're going to Napa bitches, gently caress you.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Jonathan starts watching anime for a couple months and all of a sudden thinks he can start droppin the J word

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Sweet Chris Cornell story. Jonathan's life has been so crazy.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

Matey posted:

Jonathan starts watching anime for a couple months and all of a sudden thinks he can start droppin the J word

It's okay because people shorten his name to Jon. What's the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
He's bad at multitasking. If he focuses on not using racial slurs, he forgets to not call things gay and retarded.