Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW if you think that Zack Snyder fans can get a little hyperbolic well I've got some news for you:

edit: please do not engage with this person or that thread.

man it's been over a year and this thread goes over it all the time and i still don't feel any closer to understanding the ridic hyperbole surrounding any discussion of that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In that goofball's defense he didn't say you were a racist because you enjoyed BvS, simply that you were the moral equivalent of one.

It would really be cool and good if these type of people actually explained what's so morally repugnant about BvS. Maybe I'm too busy tending to my Zack Snyder shrine in my closet to notice problematic things in the movie.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 19, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vintersorg posted:

It's like people who identify as gamers. This schtick is their entire being. Their entire reason to wake up. It's pathetic.

Yeah.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

'Batman v Superman' is 'The Last Temptation of Christ' of superhero films. Zack Snyder has blasphemed against their secular Christ figures and must therefore be excommunicated from comicbook nerdom.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That is still pretty fascinating because people are apparently using "Christ" as a stand-in for "generic good guy".

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Snyder in those reviews is similar to how weird some people used to be about Joss Whedon around here, IMO. Conversations would quickly shift from the movies they directed to "Whedon is fat lol" and "Snyder lifts weights lol" and then people decide to respond to THAT instead of the movie discussion part, and then it spirals into a weird argument about a person instead of a movie. To a lesser extent it happens with critics like that lady up there or (more usually) that Farachi guy.

I spose it's bound to happen since we can't actively watch the movies at work or whatever. But sometimes those convos do go in weird directions.

(I would've casually answered I'm a gamer if people asked because I like to play PS4 for a couple hours before bed a few nights a week, but apparently I should probably stop if it carries that much baggage)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A lot of people around here usually take umbrage with Whedon's portray of women, which the industry seems to decide is the standard despite being garbage.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Harry Knowles Blade 2 review has found its leather-clad femdom match.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jimbot posted:

A lot of people around here usually take umbrage with Whedon's portray of women, which the industry seems to decide is the standard despite being garbage.

It was great back in the Buffy days when there was nothing even remotely like it, but his schtick never really evolved beyond that. He became a huge cult favorite due to cool stuff like Firefly and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, but the transition from getting most of his network shows cancelled after a season or two to directing a massive tentpole mega-blockbuster like Avengers was kind of baffling. Was it mainly because of the success of Cabin in the Woods?

I would love to see the dude go back to smaller stuff (and maybe catch up on some modern feminist lit) but I'm glad he is not involved with future Marvel stuff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Tom Hardy is Eddie Brock in Sony's Venom movie with Ruben Fleischer directing

http://www.tracking-board.com/tom-hardy-to-star-in-venom-movie-ruben-fleischer-to-direct-sony-tentpole/

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Who is this meme meant to support?

edit: yeah Tom Hardy is the actor to use to nail yourself to the MCU, Sony, but isn't part of Venom's gimmick that he's a guy who hates Peter Parker? Why would a grown buffman hate twinky teen Tom Holland?

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 19, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dacap posted:

Tom Hardy is Eddie Brock in Sony's Venom

please do a voice please do a voice please do a voice

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That is still pretty fascinating because people are apparently using "Christ" as a stand-in for "generic good guy".

That still barely describes Silver Age Superman, who was a massive oval office.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Mameluke posted:

Who is this meme meant to support?

edit: yeah Tom Hardy is the actor to use to nail yourself to the MCU, Sony, but isn't part of Venom's gimmick that he's a guy who hates Peter Parker? Why would a grown buffman hate twinky teen Tom Holland?

Apparently it has nothing to do with the MCU.

quote:

Venom is not being developed as a Spider-Man spinoff, but rather a standalone feature from Sony’s Marvel Universe —

Hell if I know what that actually means.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jaime Fox is hosting a show called Beat Shazam, but they won't reveal which universe it takes place in or who they cast as Shazam or Billy Batson.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
If you think this Venom movie will ever actually be filmed before Sony crashes, you are delusional.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In all reality, it'll probably end with a Peter Parker/Spider-Man tease at the the end.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SleepCousinDeath posted:

quote:

Venom is not being developed as a Spider-Man spinoff, but rather a standalone feature from Sony’s Marvel Universe —

Hell if I know what that actually means.

The character's comics origin is intrinsically linked to Spider-Man but Spider-Man won't feature in the movie at all.

Just like the Catwoman film didn't feature Batman at all, or the Steel movie didn't feature Superman. It's a surefire recipe for success!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The character's comics origin is intrinsically linked to Spider-Man but Spider-Man won't feature in the movie at all.

Just like the Catwoman film didn't feature Batman at all, or the Steel movie didn't feature Superman. It's a surefire recipe for success!!

It worked for G-Men From Hell!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Get Hardy to write it too. After Taboo I want to see more of his passion projects.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/SonyPictures/status/865629713225572352

He seems passionate about it at least.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

It worked for G-Men From Hell!

Mystery Men was a Flaming Carrot spinoff that totally ditched Flaming Carrot but that was also a terrible box office flop

I still really like it though. Buck up li'l film, we still love you.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 19, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Jaime Fox is hosting a show called Beat Shazam, but they won't reveal which universe it takes place in or who they cast as Shazam or Billy Batson.

He's actually playing a genie that comes out of a boombox.
Also it's Berenstine Bears now.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
we will finally get to see Venom's dick

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Spider-Man licencing deal was bizarre to start with and it just keeps getting weirder. Now Sony are desperate to cash in on the expected success of the MCU tie-in but they also want to distance themselves from the MCU so they're doing a Spider-Man universe story which will apparently separate itself completely from Spider-Man. And most of the other character are burned (Rhino was used up in ASM2, can't do the Aunt May super spy movie now that she's young, the MCU film will use up the better Sinister Six characters) so they're left with a character that most movie goers will only know as That Character Who Briefly Turned Up At The End Of the Emo Spider-Man Movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Spider-Man licencing deal was bizarre to start with and it just keeps getting weirder. Now Sony are desperate to cash in on the expected success of the MCU tie-in but they also want to distance themselves from the MCU so they're doing a Spider-Man universe story which will apparently separate itself completely from Spider-Man. And most of the other character are burned (Rhino was used up in ASM2, can't do the Aunt May super spy movie now that she's young, the MCU film will use up the better Sinister Six characters) so they're left with a character that most movie goers will only know as That Character Who Briefly Turned Up At The End Of the Emo Spider-Man Movie.

Sony's film division was almost completely shuttered and sold off last year.

The President of Sony Entertainment managed to delay it on the basis of:

- The Emoji movie will be a billion-dollar film that costs next to nothing to make. We can spin it off into franchises like minions.
- The MCU is more popular than ever and we still have the Spider-Man rights in perpetuity. If we let Marvel popularize Spider-Man, then we can take him back and use it to get another billion-dollar franchise and spin-offs.
- Once we have billions from those two movies succeeding, then we can expand and invest in releasing other movies.

That's literally their entire business plan to save the studio.

If the Emoji movie isn't a huge success and the Spider-Man cinematic Universe isn't able to hitch onto the MCU's success, then Sony Entertainment is probably gone in 2019.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

lessthankyle posted:

we will finally get to see Venom's dick

You already have. That's not his tongue.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

uh venom's a pretty well-known character dude

like sony's definitely made some weird moves but 'solo venom film' isn't that up there

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brother Entropy posted:

uh venom's a pretty well-known character dude

like sony's definitely made some weird moves but 'solo venom film' isn't that up there

Note that I said "most movie goers". The general public have no loving idea who he is.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Note that I said "most movie goers". The general public have no loving idea who he is.

you probably wouldn't have to look that hard to find a venom shirt or two at your local walmart

and even then the 'but no one's heard of [x]' nonsense was kinda laid to bed two gotg movies ago

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This is getting increasingly proven to not matter though. Prior to the current glut of superhero films the general public knew Superman, Batman, Spider-Man maybe and possibly like various characters who had appeared in prior film and television, like Hulk and Wonder Woman. Nobody knew Iron Man as anything other than the Black Sabbath song, nobody knew poo poo about Deadpool or Guardians. Or any of the Netlix heroes or Thor except from Adventures in Babysitting, etc, etc. They might have known the X-Men existed and were hated or whatever.

I think the more important factor moving forward is like, did these characters have popular stories that resonated in the comics and cemented their "classic" status among fans into the modern era, and can they translate that formula in film. Like they might not bother with someone like Crimson Fox or whatever, but characters like Venom or Captain Marvel or Shazam are good bets, not because the general public knows anything about them but because their formula worked extremely well in the past and has elements that will work really well in a blockbuster.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

weee are venom

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brother Entropy posted:

you probably wouldn't have to look that hard to find a venom shirt or two at your local walmart

and even then the 'but no one's heard of [x]' nonsense was kinda laid to bed two gotg movies ago

I'd have to travel several thousand kilometres to get to my closest Walmart. :v:

GotG heavily relied on the MCU brand but it also had a cute furry talking animal, a wisecracking Han Solo-type etc and fun hijinx. Venom isn't exactly known for his sparkling charisma or charming wisecracks.

Guy A. Person posted:

I think the more important factor moving forward is like, did these characters have popular stories that resonated in the comics and cemented their "classic" status among fans into the modern era, and can they translate that formula in film. Like they might not bother with someone like Crimson Fox or whatever, but characters like Venom or Captain Marvel or Shazam are good bets, not because the general public knows anything about them but because their formula worked extremely well in the past and has elements that will work really well in a blockbuster.

Venom worked extremely well as a Spider-Man villain which is exactly the angle they're not taking with it, apparently.

Edit: I'm not saying that the film wont work or it won't be popular, I'm just saying that it'll be an uphill battle without Spider-Man.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 19, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Venom worked extremely well as a Spider-Man villain which is exactly the angle they're not taking with it, apparently.

I thought he also worked well as an anti-hero who was kind of related to Spider-Man but did his own thing? Sort've like Deadpool to the X-Men (who actually admittedly appeared in his film).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'what if spider-man was bigger and rowdier and played by tom hardy' isn't that complicated of a subject to sell to people who don't already know venom

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I posted this in the other thread, but I am really curious how they are going to sell the concept of:

"Man gets an alien symbiote that puts a giant spider symbol on his chest and gives him all of Spider-Man's powers, BUT THIS IS NOT AT ALL RELATED TO SPIDER-MAN IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Guy A. Person posted:

I thought he also worked well as an anti-hero who was kind of related to Spider-Man but did his own thing? Sort've like Deadpool to the X-Men (who actually admittedly appeared in his film).

No, the Venom comic where he played an anti-hero was pretty bad. I used to be a big-time Venom fan in the 90s and bought it off the newstand. I didn't like it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 19, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I posted this in the other thread, but I am really curious how they are going to sell the concept of:

"Man gets an alien symbiote that puts a giant spider symbol on his chest and gives him all of Spider-Man's powers, BUT THIS IS NOT AT ALL RELATED TO SPIDER-MAN IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM."

That's why they get paid the big bucks and you get to post on the forums.

They'll figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

That's why they get paid the big bucks and you get to post on the forums.

They'll figure it out.

You're placing a remarkable amount of faith in Sony's ability to not gently caress up the Spider-Man franchise despite copious historical evidence to the contrary. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 19, 2017

• Locked thread