Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

are normal humans one of my choices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DuckConference posted:

Worry not, in time you will perceive everything around you as normal.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DuckConference posted:

my man have you considered fintech

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

my man have you considered fintech

Lmao

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

ADINSX posted:

Nothing I've heard about working at Google sounds appealing; it sounds like most teams work on boring corporate bullshit except instead of doing it with relatively normal people, you do it with the sort of people that can pass those interviews (dorks)

the figgies are pretty good

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
if u want to repeatedly reinvent text messaging, google might be for you

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Nothing I've heard about working at Google sounds appealing; it sounds like most teams work on boring corporate bullshit except instead of doing it with relatively normal people, you do it with the sort of people that can pass those interviews (dorks)

There are far more people than work to do so it's a lot of rewriting the same middleware layers over and over, with a sprinkling of insane turf wars over keeping projects in teams

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

ADINSX posted:

sometimes it's kinda cool tho because you're working with those dorks for a while before discovering they wrote the design & implementation of SSL/TLS or some poo poo

Progressive JPEG posted:

insane turf wars over keeping projects in teams

when i joined, a team was consulting my team on our area of expertise. I didn't really understand what was happening, but a few months later we were in charge and they left the project. Later I think my boss leveraged our progress into getting us a shitload more headcount.

also the figgies are extremely good. I would have to be wayy more senior at another company to be making these figgies. if you post in yospos and can avoid saying chome for while you can probably pass the interviews & everyone should apply

Illusive Fuck Man fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 19, 2017

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Management posted:

jfc after 6 weeks of conversations and interviews and bullshit they loving lowball me. argh, so mad. I told the recruiter that she's not even close.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

the figgies are pretty good

Oh they're insanely good; thats the only reason I could think of applying. Which means I never can, because I can't lie convincingly about why I want to work someplace

(not to mention they'd never take me, that ship sailed when I passed on the opportunity to join when they bought the startup I worked at)

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 19, 2017

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
google and amazon only seem to have android dev here in Austin and fb some customer integrations shite or w/e. tech market fail. I want more money

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Flat Daddy posted:

google and amazon only seem to have android dev here in Austin and fb some customer integrations shite or w/e. tech market fail. I want more money

the magic words are "yes I will relocate to the Bay area"

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

amazon recently reached out for a boston-based security role which i would absolutely find intriguing provided figgies comparable to nyc. anyone familiar with their interview process?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cold calling recruiter update: i made it into a third interview round

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

should be the final one and i cant wait for them to lowball me since i asked for a lot of figgies

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

low balling at least you feel like "yeah gently caress you too"

the strangest feeling is after getting exactly what you asked for. like "could I have gotten more? did I screw up and low ball myself?"

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
one time I had two simultaneous offers where one was 2x the other for the same role. to be fair one was contract, but still w-2

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

low balling at least you feel like "yeah gently caress you too"

the strangest feeling is after getting exactly what you asked for. like "could I have gotten more? did I screw up and low ball myself?"

This is so true. I remember when I got the negotiation phase of my bay area job with HR, in the middle of the on prem interview that was going really well, I had done some research and cost of living adjustment said 115k would be equivalent of my new orleans salary. I asked for that and she immediately said "sounds good" and I thought "poo poo"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you just never ever ever be the first one to say a number

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

St Evan Echoes posted:

Yeah, and anyone who is tempted to use a cost of living calculator when moving to an expensive city: take it with a grain of salt.

Buying a house in New Orleans on 70k? Very easy. A house in the bay area on 115k? lol (that was the conversion in 2013 anyway)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i was asked for a figure both by the recruiter and by the potential boss. to either i replied with hopefully careful "i would be delighted to see this discussion start from 18k", which is 50% above local average, and about 30% under highest junior computer touching salary here that i have heard of - apparently our computer salaries compare with other sectors like silicon valley does with rust belt

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

last time i gave a number first they said "no way" and offered slightly less so im p satisfied w/ how that went

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

last time i gave a number first they said "no way" and offered slightly less so im p satisfied w/ how that went
recruiter didn't bat an eye and the potential boss was visually reliefed after i specified "before tax"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

this is a good rule if you're a new grad or have no idea what an industry or location pays, or really even its a generally good idea

not a rule tho, once you get some years and some figgies, you know what you're worth (more so) and setting the anchor is good (also stops you from wasting your time interviewing somewhere thats gonna offer you 50% of your min)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

cis autodrag posted:

im also not stupid and im not going to blow out my colon with potentially extreme spices in an unfamiliar place before 10 hours of flights and airports. i have never poo poo on a plane and i don't intend to start now.

making GBS threads on airplanes is great you get to take your pants off at 35000 ft, its like science fiction

also you make the flight a little bit worse for everybody else, its like dystopian science fiction

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I told places what my actual, honest minimum was with a "I have some room to be flexible if it's the right position" and people didn't respond well so maybe don't do that [or tack 10-15k onto your real minimum]

they seemed to think "we'll offer 15k less than that then talk about 'total compensation' a lot" was a good approach

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 19, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

making GBS threads on airplanes is great you get to take your pants off at 35000 ft, its like science fiction

also you make the flight a little bit worse for everybody else, its like dystopian science fiction

sometimes you make the flight a lot worse by making GBS threads

quote:

According to French and German prosecutors, the crash was deliberately caused by the co-pilot, Andreas Lubitz. Brice Robin said Lubitz was initially courteous to Captain Sondenheimer during the first part of the flight, then became "curt" when the captain began the mid-flight briefing on the planned landing. Robin said when the captain returned from a probable toilet break and tried to enter the cockpit, Lubitz had locked the door.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525#Cause_of_crash

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

sometimes you make the flight a lot worse by making GBS threads

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525#Cause_of_crash

Automotive Insanity Aeronautical Insanity: The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, I got locked out

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

amazon recently reached out for a boston-based security role which i would absolutely find intriguing provided figgies comparable to nyc. anyone familiar with their interview process?

Mine was a one hour phone interview, half general stuff and half the standard "write some data structure/sorting/whatever code in a shared document" thing that everyone does now.

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
They gave me more money and comp than I asked for at this place so I am quite sure I lowballed myself

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

pretty sure the only way i'm leaving this place is if it's via a headhunter who opens the discussion with their offering to get my attention

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Diva Cupcake posted:

yeah what do you want to know?

phone screen is standard. if you get the on-site it is an all day deal. You meet with members of the team and some management. They all have different competencies they are interviewing for which line up with the company "values" for developers. Be sure to explain what you are doing and why. Ask questions. Dig into the interview question if you feel it is vague.

Amazon is an okay place to work, highly dependent on the team/your direct manager. I can answer any questions you have about working for the company.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sweeper posted:

yeah what do you want to know?

phone screen is standard. if you get the on-site it is an all day deal. You meet with members of the team and some management. They all have different competencies they are interviewing for which line up with the company "values" for developers. Be sure to explain what you are doing and why. Ask questions. Dig into the interview question if you feel it is vague.
That's pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks. I may hit you up if it progresses in any meaningful manner.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My boss sent me a friend request on Facebook. Lmbooooooooooooooooo NOPE.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I looked at the market again, and I could be making 5-10% more.

loving :effort: tho and the new place is a loving hoot. And pays for shittons of certs.

What I'm saying is job hunting is garbo.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
5-10% is not worth switching jobs for unless you're already unhappy and looking anyway. i'm good at my job and people respect me and let me do basically whatever i want, but i had to work hard to establish that position when i joined, and i'm not looking to restart that process with another employer unless we're talking 25%+ more money

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

JewKiller 3000 posted:

5-10% is not worth switching jobs for unless you're already unhappy and looking anyway. i'm good at my job and people respect me and let me do basically whatever i want, but i had to work hard to establish that position when i joined, and i'm not looking to restart that process with another employer unless we're talking 25%+ more money

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
whelp, the recruiter said he would try to get back to me by the end of yesterday but now so much as an email. time for my impostor syndrome to find every reason im totally awful and cant possibly get a yes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

whelp, the recruiter said he would try to get back to me by the end of yesterday but now so much as an email. time for my impostor syndrome to find every reason im totally awful and cant possibly get a yes.

if you were terrible they probably would have told you pretty quickly. so either it's still up in the air, or more likely, bureaucracy is slow.

oh, and the second attempt from my lowball offerer was supposed to arrive by today but now we're waiting until Monday because they take forever to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

google waited a week and then called me to let me know that I didn't pass the phone screen. I feel like that's something you can email

• Locked thread