Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Watching something like Mizzteq guides for the content you're going to be going into will let you know mostly anything you're going to need to know (she plays tank primarily too so it'll be helpful on that front for you as it will be as if it's from your POV and she knows tank play) and she keeps things mostly brief.

She's not like Mr. Happy who's going to take a good 18 minutes to tell you 10 minutes of info (on a alex/baha video. It's like 5 minutes for a dungeon).

e: beaten dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I use/used video guides on youtube in addition to browsing wikis etc. MTQCapture seems to cover most things, though same as written guides they aren't entirely up to date. So you may go into runs expecting to deal with mechanics that are now bypassed (killing adds against the Queen in Cutter's Cry, opening doors against Diabolos in Amdapor City etc)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Another point against MrHappy: he has the personality of drywall with the restraint of a honey badger.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I think the only time I've had to resort to a MrHappy guide was when I wanted some idea of what PvP was like. Everything else was either mizzteq or some random person who was the only one bothering to make guides for hard primals.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd say for dungeons, just go in blind. As long as you're paying attention you should be able to figure them all out, and there's nothing so extreme that a single failure should result in a death.

Trials and stuff can get a bit more complicated, but for the regular 4-mans you shouldn't run into anything you can't improvise out of.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dogsicle posted:

I use/used video guides on youtube in addition to browsing wikis etc. MTQCapture seems to cover most things, though same as written guides they aren't entirely up to date. So you may go into runs expecting to deal with mechanics that are now bypassed (killing adds against the Queen in Cutter's Cry, opening doors against Diabolos in Amdapor City etc)

You're totally right, but the MTQCapture (That's Mizzteq for the new player here) videos are so concise that it doesn't hurt to know the right way to do it and never do it than sitting through overlong diatribes you can't skip around because you won't know that he's talking about something not relevant beforehand.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
I've been reading the wiki entry for each dungeon before I head it. It gives a quick explanation of boss mechanics with nice little bullet points. So far, so good.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'd say for dungeons, just go in blind. As long as you're paying attention you should be able to figure them all out, and there's nothing so extreme that a single failure should result in a death.

Trials and stuff can get a bit more complicated, but for the regular 4-mans you shouldn't run into anything you can't improvise out of.

Also, remember to use your cooldowns, even on trash (Dark Dance is very good against trash since you're getting hit more often), and once you get Dark Passenger at level 40 you can use Dark Arts Dark Passenger to blind enemies for 15 seconds as a pseudo-cooldown.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mizzteq is very good and concise; the only failings I have with her are that she doesn't seem to do videos for story trials half the time (and I'm an insecure enough player that I could use them), and she takes a few days to get her videos online, so if you're looking for a guide on a brand-new dungeon, she won't have one.

I mean, if a dungeon is that new, then everyone's gonna be figuring it out at the same time and nobody should expect you to have "watched a guide so I don't gently caress it up" level competence, but still.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

vOv posted:

Also, remember to use your cooldowns, even on trash (Dark Dance is very good against trash since you're getting hit more often), and once you get Dark Passenger at level 40 you can use Dark Arts Dark Passenger to blind enemies for 15 seconds as a pseudo-cooldown.

This is really good advice in general. Defensive abilities all generally have pretty short cooldowns, especially when you line them up with boss abilities.

If you are doing a boss blind and he starts doing something you don't recognise, just pop a shadowskin or whatever. If you're doing big pulls in a dungeon, keep the cooldowns flowing. They'll be up in a pull or two anyways, and it'll make it easier on everyone. Hell, even if you're not doing big pulls, it gives the healer a big buffer of time that they don't need to heal you and can help out.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

vOv posted:

Except Dark Arts is a freaking Level 45 ability. I *sorta* get why they put it there as you get to learn how the abilities interact *without* it, but it's such a huge part of the class that it feels strange to wait that long.

Needless to say, sitting at 37 as I am, PotD has given me a pretty good preview in practice (as opposed to what I read in guides) on how Dark Arts will eventually factor into things. Initially, I was like "Why do people even say that this class has to manage mana."

And now we know.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Once you get into HW the encounter design "language" is pretty set so you should be able to figure out what's happening after you see it once.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

hobbesmaster posted:

Once you get into HW the encounter design "language" is pretty set so you should be able to figure out what's happening after you see it once.

Yeah, it's mostly a few dungeons that I only did once while going up the chain to 50, like Dzamael Darkhold, that had a decent amount of WTF without much explanation as we ran through it, that I just want refreshers on. For the most part, the dungeons in ARR don't worry me on tanking so much as going into Crystal Palace blind (as I never got my Summoner in there) or trying some of the Hard and Extreme Trials as a tank.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Just got Scholor unlocked! Now i can enjoy those sweet,sweet healer Queue times! How necessary is it to micromanage the pet? Should i generally be sticking with the heal pet as opposed to the silencing one?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You're totally right, but the MTQCapture (That's Mizzteq for the new player here) videos are so concise that it doesn't hurt to know the right way to do it and never do it than sitting through overlong diatribes you can't skip around because you won't know that he's talking about something not relevant beforehand.

Yeah, I still think they're a great resource and my only complaints are super specific to my own dungeon runs and it being a bit disorienting when you're not on the same page as everyone else. Or when you don't realize you're not the only newbie, and people are actually loving up instead of doing new strats. :v:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Just got Scholor unlocked! Now i can enjoy those sweet,sweet healer Queue times! How necessary is it to micromanage the pet? Should i generally be sticking with the heal pet as opposed to the silencing one?

You don't need to micromanage them much, but it's better to keep them on obey rather than sic. They'll use their basic heal regardless, but they'll use their cooldowns at dumb times. None of them require targets either, so when its time to use a cooldown just hit the button.

The only other thing to watch for is their placement, or movement. If you move around a lot and they're following you, they can't heal. You can place them in a specific location to cover people for you, and they won't move. Their target acquisition range seems kinda low, so if you're max range from the tank it might not help heal either. Just keep an eye on things and you'll learn the how to manage position.

Which you use is up to you. Eos gets an AOE heal over time and +heal buff, among other things. Selene gets an AOE cleanse (before you get your cleanse spell) and an attack speed buff.

I prefer Eos because the healing strength lets me stay in combat longer, but Selene has advantages too.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 19, 2017

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Emalde posted:

Finally got this dumb edgehorse for my edgelord. Now to get a floor200 clear that doesn't have a glass pumpkin :negative:

:gary::respek::yarg:

It's all Glass pumpkins for my group too.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Memnaelar posted:

Except Dark Arts is a freaking Level 45 ability. I *sorta* get why they put it there as you get to learn how the abilities interact *without* it, but it's such a huge part of the class that it feels strange to wait that long.

Oh god I forgot about that. I really don't understand their thought process for when jobs get skills. Like, I feel like Dragoon should get TVF, then HT, then IDC, with oGCDs mixed in there whatever (though thematically I guess you'd want to keep the jumps post-30 when you become a dragoon).

vOv fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 19, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Selene on sic is best for content where you don't really need to do much. Selene should only be on obey if you need the interrupt or cleanse for something specific.

Eos should never be on sic. Rouse+uh, medica ii (whispering dawn?) is really really good but is best used only in savage. The divine seal cooldown is great too and buffs the other healer too.

I really should use that magic defense up one more. I think I only used it to good effect in sophex.

If you leave Eos on sic she'll use everything on cooldown which is not usually what you want to do.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I always just referenced the dungeon readthroughs before tanking a new dungeon/trial here: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons

Between that and just letting the party know, "Hey, first time tanking here, so if you have any tips, let me know," I've been fine. Note the readthroughs there are not great for savage/ex content, but for most regular stuff it should do you fine if you hate tutorial videos like me.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

YamiNoSenshi posted:

I've been reading the wiki entry for each dungeon before I head it. It gives a quick explanation of boss mechanics with nice little bullet points. So far, so good.

This kinda stops working at a point when the mechanics for each boss take up a whole page. When that starts happening the videos become the better way to learn about the duty.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Marathanes posted:

I always just referenced the dungeon readthroughs before tanking a new dungeon/trial here: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons

Between that and just letting the party know, "Hey, first time tanking here, so if you have any tips, let me know," I've been fine. Note the readthroughs there are not great for savage/ex content, but for most regular stuff it should do you fine if you hate tutorial videos like me.

Oh yeah, if you're going to do synced savage/ex then you definitely want to watch a video or at least look up a real guide written by serious raiders and not the randos on the wiki. Unsynced content varies from 'what am mechanics' (Ultima, Odin) to 'the only thing that will kill you is DPSing too hard' (Leviathan, Ifrit) to 'actually still kinda hard' (T9).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As long as you have even a shred of situational awareness and the ability to learn from your mistakes, you should never need a guide for a dungeon.

hihifellow posted:

This kinda stops working at a point when the mechanics for each boss take up a whole page. When that starts happening the videos become the better way to learn about the duty.

There really aren't any dungeon fights that are that complicated, it's just that people who write the wikis tend to overexplain things. 99% of the mechanics boil down to killing adds and not standing in bad.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Does anyone have that gif of the dramatic cutscene with the person in the ghost costume?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
yeah you really don't need to watch/read guides for anything that is non-savage/extreme/coil.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You're not wrong but I'm not gonna discourage someone that wants to prepare if its going to alleviate their tank stress

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It also alleviates my uh..dps stress? And a few times I ended up being the only person who knew how to do a run. It may not be necessary but I also wouldn't discourage it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm just saying there's very few little tricks to any particular dungeon that cannot be explained by someone in the instance in 2-3 sentences. Basically, don't sweat tanking. It isn't that hard. Use your cooldowns. Grab big packs. Ask if there's anything specific you need to know/do when you start and you'll do fine.

Likewise just queue with goons and really not have to worry since you can complete every dungeon in the game without a tank.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I hope this can alleviate your stress - outside of some trials and any savage/extreme content, tanks are basically superfluous. You'll do fine!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best way to alleviate tank stress is to just grab a bunch of friends, gently caress up a lot, and have fun.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There are only three rules that you need to know as a DPS that covers > 90% of all encounters:

a) Don't stand in the stupid
2) Kill the most important target first.
iii) Kill the freaking adds.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

The best way to alleviate tank stress is to just grab a bunch of friends, gently caress up a lot, and have fun.

This is the best way to play this game.

With voice chat, too. They really should integrate that!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Die Sexmonster! posted:

They really should integrate that!

please god no

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

They really should integrate that!

How about no.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Die Sexmonster! posted:

No. Noooo.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I would rather chew each individual digit off my hands and feet.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Call of Duty Quest no thanks.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Nahrix posted:

Call of Duty Quest no thanks.

do it like eve where you have to opt into it by joining the voice channel for your fc/party/raid/etc.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:eng101: blizzard implemented in-game voice chat in wow in patch 2.2 as part of some sound engine rewrite and no one ever, ever used it, even once, because why the gently caress would you? given how heavensward's development arc has been treading a similar path to burning crusade, it's a hopeful sign that yoship and company noticed how it's a bad idea with no payoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

:eng101: blizzard implemented in-game voice chat in wow in patch 2.2 as part of some sound engine rewrite and no one ever, ever used it, even once, because why the gently caress would you? given how heavensward's development arc has been treading a similar path to burning crusade, it's a hopeful sign that yoship and company noticed how it's a bad idea with no payoff

For reference, this was almost 10 years ago.

• Locked thread