Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The Rat posted:

And a bunch of other neat poo poo, but my face is visible in those and I'd rather not post those anymore.

Just use the classic "operator" face blur. Instant badass status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I can't wait for the first "my knee keeps popping" posts.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Soulex posted:

I can't wait for the first "my knee keeps popping" posts.

I know I've got less than two dozen on my jump log, and this still applies.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

A Bad Poster posted:

I know I've got less than two dozen on my jump log, and this still applies.

I'm a dirty leg and my knees pop constantly

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sounds like y'all should've stayed in the rear like me :smug:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to the burn pit registry because my 2 mile talked by 3 minutes in 9 months.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

psydude posted:

Early Iraq must have been fun as poo poo for an 18/19 year old with no concept of mortality. Just shoot some guns in the desert, run your tank over some random cars, and steal a bunch of poo poo from one Saddam's palaces before making a getaway in your soft sided HMMWV.

In Afghanistan, you couldn't even call in indirect fire on dudes legit shooting at you without getting approval from a 2 star.

You'd think that but they still found ways to make it unfun. Like telling you a bunch of humvees got stolen and not letting anyone who's currently patrolling in on the fact that your're about to be relieved in place, no there was no right seat/left seat poo poo. Yes we nearly had a 3rd friendly fire incident.

Locals were willing to work with us real well at the start though. Families were allowed a rifle and pistol for self defense so we go clear some part of the city again and some dude has an RPG and several rounds, we let him know the rifle is cool but the RPG has to go, we'll have engineers do something about it when we come by tomorrow. He didn't have it the next day because he sawed it and the ammo for it in half and hucked it into the canal.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Syrian Lannister posted:

I'm a dirty leg and my knees pop constantly

Same. It sounds like I'm popping a fist full of bubble wrap whenever I walk down stairs.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3cbrfpVmK8

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
USASOC is another place that knows static line is stupid but does it to ensure we keep a pay check. I don't think I've spent more than 4 hours on jump, sans one toy drop. Not to mention jumping Hollywood in a MC6, from a CASA/Blackhawk/C27 with no more than 20 people out. People still get hurt, because static line is dumb, but it's substantially better than what division does. I think we had 3 serious jump related injuries last quarter. I have a buddy in one of the 82d FA BN's that has more than that ever time they jump.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
gently caress MEDPROS

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mustang posted:

gently caress MEDPROS

Did they lose your shot record?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Nothing for me, just bullshit you have to have your soldiers update at the end of the day on a Friday despite the fact that everyone is like 3 months out at least from being out of date on stuff.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

BC decided to check it at 2:00 am, and discovered that everyone is red on immunizations, so NO ONE GOES HOME UNTIL IT'S DONE.

Or somebody is due for a PHA in a month, same results.

E: or that. MEDPROS is the devil/there's at least one stupid leader in every chain

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 19, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Nothing for me, just bullshit you have to have your soldiers update at the end of the day on a Friday despite the fact that everyone is like 3 months out at least from being out of date on stuff.

While at an appointment with a dr, he was on a conference call with a bunch of other medical clinics. Doctors/managers were bitching that because commanders and 1SG's and CSMs force everyone to make appointments 90 days out, they get a ton of last minute cancellations and rescheduling.

The response from higher in the medical community was basically "yeah it sucks but good loving luck getting that to change."

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
For awhile the clinic I had to go to at polk wouldn't let you so your PHA until like a month out from your birthday, which meant you were amber. CO demanded 90 days out or even before you were amber (which would make the pha almost every 9 months instead of 12) and I had to go to the clinic and get turned away, which i was fine with, then the commander made me go back and wait again and poo poo

all because of a yellow square on ppt. Recruiting was much better about that poo poo for some reason, probably just because of less people to worry about and they tended to care less about big army poo poo and more about cold call quotas over anything else

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of the fun things when I worked at squadron was seeing the manning readiness powerpoints that always had some red marks from a couple of people that were AWOL and of course hadn't seen medical/dental on time. It chapped a few people's asses and there was frequent bitching about it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My old first sergeant's reaction to that was pretty good:

"you got enough time to bitch about a red mark, then you've got enough time to go catch them and bring them back"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I enjoy the army thread because it makes a lot of navy bullshit look tame by comparison, but also because there are so many similarities which make me smile to not have to deal with anymore.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

I had to get the Flushot three times the last year I was in because sickcall kept loving up.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Nothing concrete yet but I just found out why we're getting plussed up to 110% strength, a lot of new equipment fielding, money, crazy training optempo, and a push for admin/readiness.

Wish they would give us more, like a location and timeframe, other than post NTC obviously.

Only place I'm not expecting it to be is Korea because it seems they only send ABCTs there and it was just announced that 2nd BDE 1st CAV is going there.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Mustang posted:

Nothing concrete yet but I just found out why we're getting plussed up to 110% strength, a lot of new equipment fielding, money, crazy training optempo, and a push for admin/readiness.

Wish they would give us more, like a location and timeframe, other than post NTC obviously.

Only place I'm not expecting it to be is Korea because it seems they only send ABCTs there and it was just announced that 2nd BDE 1st CAV is going there.

Okay, so I never thought about this before, so are units are rotated in/out of Korea? I always just kinda assumed units were there permanently stationed there with people PCSing in and out.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Dude, at least wait until you're at the strip club

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah Korea is rotational, for 9 months or a year or something like that. That I know of it's been one 1st ID BDE and one 1st CAV BDE with another of their BDEs up next

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Mustang posted:

Yeah Korea is rotational, for 9 months or a year or something like that. That I know of it's been one 1st ID BDE and one 1st CAV BDE with another of their BDEs up next

Huh, never realized that. I only had one buddy go there and we lost touch forever ago

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Okay, so I never thought about this before, so are units are rotated in/out of Korea? I always just kinda assumed units were there permanently stationed there with people PCSing in and out.

units rotate, but 2-3 year tours there are certainly possible with command sponsorship.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's even weirder for us at Lewis because all the units that rotate through Korea fall under 2nd ID HQ while the 2nd ID BDE's at Lewis fall under 7th ID. 2nd ID HQ might not ever have it's BDE's under it again.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Korea used to just be a hodgepodge of people on one year orders.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Btw gently caress Korea hooah

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Mustang posted:

It's even weirder for us at Lewis because all the units that rotate through Korea fall under 2nd ID HQ while the 2nd ID BDE's at Lewis fall under 7th ID. 2nd ID HQ might not ever have it's BDE's under it again.

that sounds dumb as gently caress

but it makes sense because army

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm surprised they haven't had us switch to the 7th ID patch because all the unit heritage/history stuff we do is 7th ID related. We don't know poo poo about 2nd ID other than our BDE's obviously.

benem
Feb 15, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

units rotate, but 2-3 year tours there are certainly possible with command sponsorship.

1 ABCT, 2ID deactivated in 2015, leaving the 2ID HQ in command of the 210 FA BDE and some logistics units. Rotational ABCTs now fall in under 2ID for 9 month rotations.

210 FA, 2ID HQ, 8th Army HQ and assorted logistics units are still permanently stationed and are staffed by soldiers on PCS orders for either 1 year unaccompanied tours or 2-3 years accompanied tours.

(So you have a division HQ commanding a "division" consisting of barely 2 BDEs and an "Army" HQ commanding said division)

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Mustang posted:

I heard about this too. I'm not deployable though (until the green weenie decides otherwise).

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Why do units rotate in and out of Korea instead of stationing a unit permanently there like they do in Germany or Italy? Wouldn't it be better to have dudes who have been there for many years who are used to the climate, terrain, and culture in the event war broke out vs some dudes who got there four months ago?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Justin Tyme posted:

Why do units rotate in and out of Korea instead of stationing a unit permanently there like they do in Germany or Italy?

Probably due to agreements with the host nations or some poo poo

Edit: this is me refusing to do any googling or searching and pulling an answer out of my rear end

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
when did they switch doing the "deployments" to korea? that sounds awful. I had a few kids that I put in end up in some of those.

I just did the standard one year and was assigned to 8th Army NCO academy is was sweet

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

I heard about this too. I'm not deployable though (until the green weenie decides otherwise).

I'm hoping it's Afghanistan or something but only because I'm a slick sleeve combat arms retard

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

I'm hoping it's Afghanistan or something but only because I'm a slick sleeve combat arms retard

I hate you so much right now

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

Enjoy doing dismounted patrols or riding around in MRAPs. You'll be a several thousand miles from the nearest Stryker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

No one cares about your sleeves, sir.

They care about you covering their asses. HTH.