Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Pokemon series could use more pirates. So far we've had Team Aqua and Neo Team Plasma, but a regular pirate trainer class could be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I thought becoming the Hokage was a joke :psyduck: what the gently caress

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The evolved form of the gunslinger pistol shrimp should look more cowboyish, not less. :mad:

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Hah! The kosher joke made my beer go down the wrong pipe.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Tsukinami town is stupid

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Didn't the official games already have a pistol shrimp pokemon with Clawitzer? Also how does holding a gun make something a fire type? I'm beginning to think this fan game wasn't well thought out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Because you can fire a gun. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That would make Pangoro a steel type.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Vorpal Cat posted:

Didn't the official games already have a pistol shrimp pokemon with Clawitzer?

Yeah, but it wasn't literally holding a handgun.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
Shrimp with a gun goes so far against what Pokemon would do it's not even funny.
What's worse is that X and Y made a better version in Crawlauncher that not only makes more sense but looks so much cooler

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This game came out in 2016.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Waffleman_ posted:

This game came out in 2016.
But it was in development hell for 500 years, so it's okay. Making an editing pass to make sure there wasn't stupid poo poo left over from years-old writing? Why would you do that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It started development in 2009, right? I think even by then, the whole pirates vs ninjas shtick was passe.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Waffleman_ posted:

It started development in 2009, right? I think even by then, the whole pirates vs ninjas shtick was passe.

It had a 9 year development and came out last year, so 2007.

Naruto and One Piece had just made it big in America.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay yeah.

But like....come on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

krilvolver elevates that agumon holding a gun someone posted earlier from funny joke to prophetic

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

raisamike3 posted:

Shrimp with a gun goes so far against what Pokemon would do it's not even funny.
What's worse is that X and Y made a better version in Crawlauncher that not only makes more sense but looks so much cooler

Comparing the two makes the difference in quality really obvious. Not to say it wasn't before, but now we have two ideas directly based on the same core concept.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I presume Haagross is supposed to be a hagfish Pokemon? Not a well-designed one, mind you, but... Uranium.

I honestly kind of approve of Uranium going whole hog on eels and eel-oids. I have no idea why, but it's at least slightly interesting, unlike "black and green Nuclear types" or "shrimp with a gun." (The first evo of gumshrimp having a deputy pun and the second one not having a sheriff pun sort of bugs me, although it's not nearly as bad as the general design decisions behind gunshrimp.)

EDIT: Also, Swabone not being an alternate evolution of Cubone that drowns its sorrows by escaping into the maritime life makes me kind of sad, even though Cubone isn't even in this game.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

Is that supposed to be a hydrothermal vent Pokemon? That's a neat idea I guess but "eel sticking out of a hole" is definitely not the way to realize it.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I startled my cat laughing when I saw the shrimp gun.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

LAY-ZX posted:

Is that supposed to be a hydrothermal vent Pokemon? That's a neat idea I guess but "eel sticking out of a hole" is definitely not the way to realize it.

Tube worms that live in hydrothermal vents.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The guy there is an underwater trainer, and he has some sort of worm sticking out of a hole. Lavent is... Lavent. Fire/Dragon.
I think this may be my new favorite pokemon

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 20, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would argue that pokemon sage even does the idea better than uranium since it's not just 'shrimp holding a gun'

craliber

crawglock

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Okay, Craliber is cute and those names are both brilliant.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It's a pistol shrimp with a bullet face. I like it.

Edit: it even has the hinge-like construction on its claw 'thumb' that a real bullet shrimp does, though IIRC on them it's the bigger portion that moves rather than the smaller.

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 20, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Johnny Joestar posted:

i would argue that pokemon sage even does the idea better than uranium since it's not just 'shrimp holding a gun'

craliber

crawglock

That's better but it's still not very good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ometeotl posted:

That's better but it's still not very good.

the official version is definitely way better than both of these sets, but it always amazes me how much uranium fucks up simple designs in comparison

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Haagross is some sort of eel. Posion/Electric, uses Goodra's hidden ability and Scolipede's sprite.
Specifically, a Hagfish, known for producing a "slime" that rapidly expands when exposed to water; it does this when threatened to disorient predators or even outright prohibit the use of their mouths or gills. I don't think they produce electricity, but at least a unique typing is better than another water/poison.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

hey girl you up posted:

Tube worms that live in hydrothermal vents.

That is what I meant, but there's still definitely a better way to do it.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'd like to make sure nobody misses this.

So this game, right? It makes fun of mandatory HM usage despite having so much of it, and gives you stuff to circumvent HMs eventually?

THEY ADDED AN UNDERWATER-ONLY ROCK SMASH.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

And like the actual Rock Smash, it's a TM, not an HM

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ahahahahahhha

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Angelure isn't in the game. It isn't the location of the one gym that remains. It was planned for that, but then ninjas happened.

It's ostensibly planned, but the main team disbanded after the C&D and the new guys are more focused on bugfixes and quality of life improvements.

How did the developers miss that when the actual correct location of the last gym is mentioned later in the same conversation? How?

Also, wasn't it a DMCA or something like that rather than a C&D? I remember their big announcement talking about multiple takedown notices but not having been contacted directly.

Redeye Flight posted:

I'd like to make sure nobody misses this.

So this game, right? It makes fun of mandatory HM usage despite having so much of it, and gives you stuff to circumvent HMs eventually?

That's not even as dumb as the fact that it's a water type version of Psyshock, the psychic type move that is literally only beaten out in usefulness by legendary-only signature moves (Psycho Boost and Psystrike, and the latter is literally just a better Psyshock). The one thing that balances Psyshock out is that Psychic isn't that great of an attacking type, while water is one of the most popular types in the entire game.

Literally the only three special attack water moves that Coral Break would be worse than in actual Pokemon would be Scald (varying on the Pokemon), Water Spout if it's at ultra high power, and Steam Eruption. Maybe Origin Pulse as well.

GeneX posted:

Tsukinami town is stupid

From when I watched the TieTuesday LP of this, this is when the game just completely goes off the deep end, both in terms of quality and in terms of feeling even remotely like an actual Pokemon game.

Everything from this update forward in terms of main game progression was added in the 1.0 release, so my guess is they tried rushing it out the door as fast as possible to try and release the full* game before Pokemon Sun/Moon came out (and thus take advantage of the hype building up for those to get a ton of downloads)

:magical: sums up my reaction for here on out, pretty much.

*postgame not included

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I'm somewhat disappointed that Nep-Nep's Mega Evolution doesn't keep the Nuclear color-scheme. On one hand, I expected them to make a Nuclear Mega-Gyarados but on the other hand, I expect them to be too lazy to actually make a sprite.

It's probably the latter to be honest.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pyro Jack posted:

I'm somewhat disappointed that Nep-Nep's Mega Evolution doesn't keep the Nuclear color-scheme. On one hand, I expected them to make a Nuclear Mega-Gyarados but on the other hand, I expect them to be too lazy to actually make a sprite.

It's probably the latter to be honest.

Nep-Nep is a normal Gyarados. Nuke-Nuke is the rad one. They're two different beings. Nuclear Mega Gyarados does have a palette swap sprite.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Nep-Nep is a normal Gyarados. Nuke-Nuke is the rad one. They're two different beings. Nuclear Mega Gyarados does have a palette swap sprite.

Missed opportunity not to send out both during the double battles.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

help, my sides

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Put the poffins in the loving bag and no one gets hurt!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Krilvolver Ocelot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
So... close...

• Locked thread