Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The gmail app just started suggesting responses to emails for me. I'm not sure whether to be amazed at how convenient that is, or worried that it is paying that much attention to my conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

The gmail app just started suggesting responses to emails for me. I'm not sure whether to be amazed at how convenient that is, or worried that it is paying that much attention to my conversations.

Huh it suggested a response to this post too: "go back to GBS"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm sorry that was mean

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

You got a screenshot or anything? Sounds quite interesting but I don't think I'm seeing it yet

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
hail satan

Whoa, gmail is scary good

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Does anyone have 1Password and Apple Watch? I can't understand the point of the watch app. Wouldn't all your devices have the 1pass extension or app, and, on top of that wouldn't your pass be so long and tedious, because of 1pass, to type while reading off your wrist? Do I not get this app?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GoldfishStew posted:

Does anyone have 1Password and Apple Watch? I can't understand the point of the watch app. Wouldn't all your devices have the 1pass extension or app, and, on top of that wouldn't your pass be so long and tedious, because of 1pass, to type while reading off your wrist? Do I not get this app?

I suppose if you wanted to log into something on a friend's machine?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

GoldfishStew posted:

Yeah, I've never found a use for the watch app. Then again I rarely use any Watch apps so ymmv.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GoldfishStew posted:

It's for occasions where you have your watch and not your phone. It's not incredibly useful, but there have been a few times that I took advantage of it. If you always have your phone and it never runs out of battery, I don't think it will be useful to you.

Change your passphrases to word-based and the second concern disappears.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GoldfishStew posted:

The watch app seems more useful if you want to have some information on hand in case of an emergency, like your passport info or credit card info maybe

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Is there an app I can use on my iPhone that mimics the Apple Watch Nightstand mode?

Would like something that I can just tap my nightstand and it lights up with the time instead of having to find the screen, button, etc?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a way to increase the volume of audio directions from the google maps app? I'm listening via Bluetooth headphones and the directions are really quiet compared with my music.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there a way to increase the volume of audio directions from the google maps app? I'm listening via Bluetooth headphones and the directions are really quiet compared with my music.

Hit the side menu, click settings and click Navigation settings
There should be an option called Guidance volume that you can change to "Louder"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Any way to lower the threshold of the "storage almost full" warnings? The remaining storage is adequate for what I need and I'm tired of this drat message popping up and stealing focus every time I'm in the middle of doing something. I really hope that in future models they add an SD slot but I'm sure corporate greed will prevent that from ever happening.

Also, I've seen apps that supposedly offer finer volume control than what's built into the OS but they don't seem to work with the actual hardware buttons. It's a little aggravating; it seems like I can never get the volume to a good level. My choices are either way too soft or ear-splittingly loud. Any suggestions?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm getting occasional reboots and haven't updated in a while which I've read could be the cause. Im trying to update, problem is I get stuck on "verifying update" for like 20 minutes before it errors out. Any ideas how to get it to work?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

...! posted:

Any way to lower the threshold of the "storage almost full" warnings? The remaining storage is adequate for what I need and I'm tired of this drat message popping up and stealing focus every time I'm in the middle of doing something. I really hope that in future models they add an SD slot but I'm sure corporate greed will prevent that from ever happening.

Also, I've seen apps that supposedly offer finer volume control than what's built into the OS but they don't seem to work with the actual hardware buttons. It's a little aggravating; it seems like I can never get the volume to a good level. My choices are either way too soft or ear-splittingly loud. Any suggestions?

You're way off. The storage is used for vastly more than your data, and a SD slot wouldn't make anything cheaper because of the performance requirements.

There's a reason why Android has less SD support now than it could have, and using Windows Phone with a SD card is an unpredictable nightmare.

All you can do is deal with it, there's no way it could be changed for the better. On the sound issue, better headphones.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Email chat!

Since a recent update Spark has been really slow for me. What's the current goon approved email client? I'd like something with smart sorting and bulk archive/read functionality.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I like Email from EasilyDo.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i like mail.app

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Outlook owns

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
ProtonMail

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I switch back and forth between Outlook and Spark.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is there an audiobook player that has something like Overcast's Smart Speed settings?

I know I could technically set up a "podcast" with my audiobook files and listen that way, but if there's already an app that can do this I'd like to get my hands on it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What's the best (and safe) 3rd party instagram app that works with an iPad? Kind of a shame the app looks like garbage at this size.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

What's the best (and safe) 3rd party instagram app that works with an iPad? Kind of a shame the app looks like garbage at this size.

You can make a home page shortcut for Instagram.com and get an adequate-ish experience. It's absolutely bonkers Instagram has an Apple Watch version and a Windows 10 tablet/desktop version but no iPad client.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Yeah, Instagram.com seems to get new features fairly regularly and is decent for browsing. You can't post photos but I don't think any of the 3rd party apps (if they're still around) let you do that either? Might be wrong, I've not checked in ages. I do keep the official app installed in a folder on the off-chance I want to post anything from my iPad but browsing is all from a home page shortcut.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You can definitely post photos on the mobile instagram site. I just did it late last week.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

endlessmonotony posted:

You're way off. The storage is used for vastly more than your data, and a SD slot wouldn't make anything cheaper because of the performance requirements.

There's a reason why Android has less SD support now than it could have, and using Windows Phone with a SD card is an unpredictable nightmare.

All you can do is deal with it, there's no way it could be changed for the better. On the sound issue, better headphones.

OK, you're going to have to explain this. There's no reason that the OS needs to use an SD card for "vastly" more than data. You're making the OS sound like malware. If you're referring to the OS overhead for the internal storage, then yes, I'm aware of that. It already reserves that part of the storage and never even pretends to make it available for data. Since it has its own reserved storage, there's no sane reason for it to claim dominion over any part of the rest. It just thinks it knows what I want to store in the drat thing better than I do.

If you think there would be some kind of enormous overhead if Apple were to add SD slots to their products, you've been drinking the Kool-Aid. The reason Apple doesn't add SD slots and Android products are starting to remove theirs is $$$$$. They want you to buy their more expensive products with outrageously priced internal storage. That's it.

...! fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 31, 2017

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Expandable storage would add a lot of complication to the OS. It would have to add the ability to decide what goes where and the ability to move things between both spots, and would have to deal with the user rebooting and yanking the SD card out. The OS would also have to deal with the user getting some lovely knock-off SD card on Amazon that is incredibly slow, but then putting all their pictures on it and wondering why it takes forever for them to load.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Expandable storage sucks and is for people who didn't stump for extra storage when they bought their devices.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

Expandable storage would add a lot of complication to the OS. It would have to add the ability to decide what goes where and the ability to move things between both spots, and would have to deal with the user rebooting and yanking the SD card out. The OS would also have to deal with the user getting some lovely knock-off SD card on Amazon that is incredibly slow, but then putting all their pictures on it and wondering why it takes forever for them to load.

You mean it would have to perform the basic functions of a filesystem? Sounds pretty rough, this is uncharted territory!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Android has support SD cards since it was created and they still haven't managed to figure out a good system for them. It's at least *better* now that manufacturers have decide that putting barely enough internal storage for the OS and forcing consumers to buy an SD card is not really a great way to go about things, but you still run into things like apps not being able to access the SD card, having to mess around with where things go, and SD just generally being noticeably slower than internal NAND.

All that said, it's not really worth discussing because lol if you think Apple is suddenly going to start including an SD card slot.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Android has support SD cards since it was created and they still haven't managed to figure out a good system for them. It's at least *better* now that manufacturers have decide that putting barely enough internal storage for the OS and forcing consumers to buy an SD card is not really a great way to go about things, but you still run into things like apps not being able to access the SD card, having to mess around with where things go, and SD just generally being noticeably slower than internal NAND.

All that said, it's not really worth discussing because lol if you think Apple is suddenly going to start including an SD card slot.

Since Marshmallow, Android has been able to adopt SD storage as internal, merging the two, and handling where things get stored. It's not ideal, but it's a better solution than the alternative of "here's an SD card, hope users and devs can figure out how it works." Nobody has to support anything, it just exists. Doesn't stop people from using poo poo SD cards, but IIRC good SD cards have pretty good random read speeds. Also doesn't stop Samsung from just straight up removing that feature despite putting SD card slots in their phones again.

Also yes, Apple is not going to start throwing SD card slots in their phones.

\/\/
They're sticklers about experience (for the most part) and they make a killing on storage upgrades!

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 31, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would imagine Apple's biggest problem with an SD slot is space, they can't even fit a camera in their phone without stupid bulges anymore.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Since Marshmallow, Android has been able to adopt SD storage as internal, merging the two, and handling where things get stored.

Even a good SD card is still slower than internal NAND, and adopting an SD card as internal storage slows down the whole phone. It sucks and phone manufacturers are right to disable that feature.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

...! posted:

...! posted:

OK, you're going to have to explain this. There's no reason that the OS needs to use an SD card for "vastly" more than data. You're making the OS sound like malware. If you're referring to the OS overhead for the internal storage, then yes, I'm aware of that. It already reserves that part of the storage and never even pretends to make it available for data. Since it has its own reserved storage, there's no sane reason for it to claim dominion over any part of the rest. It just thinks it knows what I want to store in the drat thing better than I do.

If you think there would be some kind of enormous overhead if Apple were to add SD slots to their products, you've been drinking the Kool-Aid. The reason Apple doesn't add SD slots and Android products are starting to remove theirs is $$$$$. They want you to buy their more expensive products with outrageously priced internal storage. That's it.

I don't think Apple products are for you, ...!

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

iOS doesn't even have native file browsing, their concept of storage is 50% cloud based, 50% magic.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

...! posted:

iOS doesn't actually reserve all the filesystem space it needs at all times, it leaves that free for other applications to also use it as cache / scratch space. If you don't have any cache / scratch space free, apps fail to work and the App Store starts loving up. It very clearly knows what you want to store better than you, because doing it your way would make your phone an unusable piece of poo poo.

And SD card readers don't come free, not from a space perspective, not from a power perspective and especially not from a reliability perspective. Making a not-rear end filesystem for a SD card that can handle the removable nature (including filth and occasional problems with it bumping loose and the SD cards breaking down) without breaking down everything means you're putting a fair chunk of processor time - and by extension, battery life - into making it behave acceptably, because you have to verify at every turn the SD hasn't suddenly started acting like rear end. SD cards are also so much slower than internal memory and this leads to some software working much worse with them, which would require Apple to segment it into its own category, and you try explaining people why their SD card doesn't mean they can install more apps and why they're getting memory low warnings with 20gb free on their SD card. And a decent quality SD reader in the size required would add a substantial chunk to the initial cost you could instead spend on more memory.

Your idea that SD cards are a good answer here is just Dunning-Kruger in action. Your audio problems have to do with impedance of your headphones.