Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Xinder posted:

Seconding this. Obviously a lot of it (probably most of it) is completely garbage, but you don't have to look too hard to find something good and useful in my experience.

One of the very few SCP entries I remember clearly is the one where it's a book with an alternate history written in it that retroactively changes reality to make its history real, and describes some sort of quasi-supernatural Mongol Horde analogue. When blood is spilled on the pages of the book, it absorbs it and writes more history, making the civilization creep closer and closer to present historical context.

I mostly remember it because, when I read it, I thought it would be an excellent way to present a manifestation of the Prince of 100,000 Leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Daeren posted:

One of the very few SCP entries I remember clearly is the one where it's a book with an alternate history written in it that retroactively changes reality to make its history real, and describes some sort of quasi-supernatural Mongol Horde analogue. When blood is spilled on the pages of the book, it absorbs it and writes more history, making the civilization creep closer and closer to present historical context.

I mostly remember it because, when I read it, I thought it would be an excellent way to present a manifestation of the Prince of 100,000 Leaves.

This one?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Yep, that'd be the one.

I spent a lot of time perusing SCP some years back but as stated most of them are utter garbage so you really need to be ready to cherry pick the good horror ideas. If I recall correctly they even had to do a site-wide reboot after a point to purge everybody's terrible OCs and researcher/administrator fanfiction.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Daeren posted:

Yep, that'd be the one.

I spent a lot of time perusing SCP some years back but as stated most of them are utter garbage so you really need to be ready to cherry pick the good horror ideas. If I recall correctly they even had to do a site-wide reboot after a point to purge everybody's terrible OCs and researcher/administrator fanfiction.

Didn't they keep the ones staff members of the site had? Which included things like Probably Satan, Man who resurrects by magic necklace replacing your mind with his, A Dog, APPLESEEDS, and the butterfly one?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
you can sort SCPs by rating, might be a good start

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The only good SCP story on that god-forsaken site.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Unless you're making a distinction between SCP STORIES and SCP ARTICLES then we're going to have an argument here, given that http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1981 exists.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Apparently he was some kind of low-gen dressed up like the Prince to act as a decoy. But the Anarchs didn't know that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Apparently he was some kind of low-gen dressed up like the Prince to act as a decoy. But the Anarchs didn't know that.

I'll be honest, that he created the circumstances that allowed this to happen is a point in favor of Swedracula.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
story idea: why does this policy exist

https://twitter.com/gunmouth/status/865371397392138240

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Because Visa hates me personally, obviously.

I'll just have to start using bitcoin to sell my Vampiric Spanking Paddles made of Pressed Opium and Shell Casings.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

In Today's Mage Game: I sit back and watch my Gnosis 1 Mages struggle to open a puzzle box using magic.

"We sit in a room staring intensely at a box. Occasionally we yell or poke at it."

"When in doubt, throw lightning at it"

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 19, 2017

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/nasa-space-weather-earth-cocoon-van-allen Turns out we may or may not have shoved the van allen belts and Earth's magnetic field further out into space than it should naturally be thanks to our radio emissions.

Everything is proceeding to the God Machine/Technocracy's plans!

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

cptn_dr posted:

In Today's Mage Game: I sit back and watch my Gnosis 1 Mages struggle to open a puzzle box using magic.

"We sit in a room staring intensely at a box. Occasionally we yell or poke at it."

Bleeding on it worked too!

thegoatgod_pan
Apr 23, 2013

Io Pan! Io Pan Pan! Io Pangenitor! Io Panphage!

cptn_dr posted:

Hah, I did that in my current campaign (school for mages, cliche but fun archetype, especially since eight months in, I am still keeping them confused if it is a Guardians of the Veil school or an Seers of the Throne school) to introduce the newbies to Mage sight: they stared at something covered in a baking pan for a while, getting info like "your Life sight shows it is primarily plant matter and glucose" and "Your space sight shows a complex surface of round, circular, fluffy shapes embedded in a solid support."

The first person to say "muffins!" got in game muffins and an xp beat.

thegoatgod_pan fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 19, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

That's actually interesting. What is the best way to open a puzzle box with only magic?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ZeroCount posted:

That's actually interesting. What is the best way to open a puzzle box with only magic?

Mind control someone into opening the puzzle box.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ZeroCount posted:

Especially at Gnosis 1, which limits your options quite a bit. I think it cuts off most of the stuff like "whip up a telekinesis spell and use that to solve it the normal way".

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Zereth posted:

Especially at Gnosis 1, which limits your options quite a bit. I think it cuts off most of the stuff like "whip up a telekinesis spell and use that to solve it the normal way".

Depends on how much paradox you're willing to risk and if you're being restricted to the written spell list or not.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You use Matter or Space 1 to get a perfect mental map of how the box fits together and then go at it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mors Rattus posted:

There's a reason why my Mastigos has no rote attack spells. Because why bother killing your opponents when you can have them kill themselves for you?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Use Time magic to look into the past and see how it was put together.

Use Fate magic so you just give it a good shake and drop it and it pops open.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Mors Rattus posted:

No. It is not hands that call us.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Obviously you take a hammer to the box to open it, both displaying your capacity for destruction and not revealing anything about your magical capabilities to all the potential rivals in the room.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The correct answer is to leak the location of the puzzle box around occult circles and kill anyone that shows up. Nobody that spends their time hunting down and opening mystic puzzle boxes is good for the health of the universe.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mulva posted:

The correct answer is to leak the location of the puzzle box around occult circles and kill anyone that shows up. Nobody that spends their time hunting down and opening mystic puzzle boxes is good for the health of the universe.

GuardiansoftheVeil.txt

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mulva posted:

You. I like you.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Mulva posted:

They gotta have something good in them eventually!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ZeroCount posted:

They gotta have something good in them eventually!

I see that and I picture the quiet and normally straight laced researcher of esoteric threats that is just screaming at the top of their lungs for like 5 minutes while trying to beat you into a fine paste. Someone tries to remind them that they could use magic to give you an aneurysm or something, and all they can say is they want to feel you die. I imagine most people would get that way at, and this is at most, the third magic puzzle box clean up.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Mulva posted:

I see that and I picture the quiet and normally straight laced researcher of esoteric threats that is just screaming at the top of their lungs for like 5 minutes while trying to beat you into a fine paste. Someone tries to remind them that they could use magic to give you an aneurysm or something, and all they can say is they want to feel you die. I imagine most people would get that way at, and this is at most, the third magic puzzle box clean up.

seersofthethrone.txt

(or at least how they try to portray themselves)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mulva posted:

maybe... maybe the problem isn't the puzzle boxes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I want you to imagine literally anything, and then I want you to tell me how it is improved by adding a magic puzzle box to the equation. Or lets narrow that down, imagine something undeniably positive and how the inclusion of having to break into a magic puzzle box enhances the process of getting it to people. Like wow, here is the ultimate weapon to combat the Exarchs.....I don't know, why don't you just use it and not put it in a puzzle box? Amazing, you developed the cure for all human illness.....and can only maintain an erection when you imagine the sheer futility of hundreds of generations of people failing to break the insane security you put around it? It's like a rule, nobody good puts unnecessary speed bumps in the way of something simple and useful. If they are locking it away with byzantine security it either deserves to be locked away or they are a sadistic bastard, and either way it's unlikely to be particularly fun opening the thing up.

Magic puzzle boxes: Not even once

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

By that logic you should be against underpants and nuclear power.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mulva posted:

I want you to imagine literally anything, and then I want you to tell me how it is improved by adding a magic puzzle box to the equation. Or lets narrow that down, imagine something undeniably positive and how the inclusion of having to break into a magic puzzle box enhances the process of getting it to people. Like wow, here is the ultimate weapon to combat the Exarchs.....I don't know, why don't you just use it and not put it in a puzzle box? Amazing, you developed the cure for all human illness.....and can only maintain an erection when you imagine the sheer futility of hundreds of generations of people failing to break the insane security you put around it? It's like a rule, nobody good puts unnecessary speed bumps in the way of something simple and useful. If they are locking it away with byzantine security it either deserves to be locked away or they are a sadistic bastard, and either way it's unlikely to be particularly fun opening the thing up.

Magic puzzle boxes: Not even once
Yeah but have you tried it, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The entire concept of "things man was not meant to know" is a boondoggle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A puzzlebox is the mystical equivalent of literacy tests for voting.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A puzzlebox is the mystical equivalent of literacy tests for voting.

That's actually pretty much how it happens in my game. The Silver Ladder keep a store room of them to throw at new Cabals who think they're clever. Something something, hubris is a coward's word.
Edit: When you get to the middle, you get a congratulatory certificate (and some arcane beats, I'm not a monster)

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 21, 2017

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Reading the Dark Osprey books kind of makes me want a version for WoD, as bizarre as that is.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Well someone has to solve these puzzle boxes! A new one falls out of the screaming portal to the Abyss in the second-floor basement every week and they're really starting to pile up and just be, I don't know, generically inscrutable everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

By that logic you should be against underpants and nuclear power.

I am.