Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

True. I mean, the resurgence brought back a nice handful of massive games that you can lose hours to - and they also reminded the market why these things died in the first place: they're kinda tedious to play.

Imho Pillars of Eternitys biggest problem is that it's in an uncanny valley for rpgs. Almost every possible character build is viable and you can go hog wild with your characters background and how they talk. But your actual influence on the world and other characters is lacking. It's like halfway between an open world rpg and a tabletop rpg but without the benefits those styles have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Life is Stranger

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's been a while, but after a hiatus, there's a new RCRU patch!

River City Ransom Underground Patch Notes #10 posted:

Features:
Added categories to the move list (first part of several planned UI improvements)

Bug fixes:
Fixed Bruno MJ Shooting Star not unlocking when purchased
Fixed loss of control bug if a pop-up appears in the arcade restroom
Fixed Steam language choice not overwriting options language choice
Turn off dynamic respawn in movie theatre
Fixed a crash in a story script if Wes is not present

Nothing earth-shaking, but the devs say something pretty big is coming next patch and that they wanted these bugfixes implemented asap. The slight UI improvement is welcome and I can't wait for the next ones.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Life is Strange: Book of Shadows

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Life is Strange II: Jedi Knight

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tyranny was a good game brought down by the fact that isometric RPGs have always had poo poo gameplay and Tyranny is no exception

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I hope we get another shadowrun.

Same. All three new ones were good and kept getting better, with Dragonfall as my personal favorite. They also sold well for their budgets so :shrug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
actually they should do something different and new, imho

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RIP Car Boys, it's been a heck of a ride. Beam.NickGriffin will never be the same.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Good news, they are and it's a Mech Warrior tactical RPG thing with multiplayer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah so I hope they make another shadowrun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
We'll always have Spiderweb Software

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0hV3dea9g

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll ask here too in the offchance someone here might know(and it's a much livelier thread than one in SHSC)

my printer arbitrarily started doing this today:

(addresses and poo poo blanked out with green blocks)

It does this, consistently, even after replacing cartridges, for everything, when set to grayscale. When set to color, it prints a solid black sheet of ink-soaked paper. No settings have been changed, no hardware has been hosed with, and it was printing perfectly fine two days ago. What causes this? It doesn't seem to be hardware fuckery since it prints the actual label just fine, except black/magenta/yellow/cyan stripes inverted to what the printout is supposed to be. I don't want to print any more test sheets as, you can likely see, it wastes a SHITLOAD of ink.

Any help would be appreciated, I gotta ship a bunch of stuff today and this cannot continue.

edit: the printer is an Epson XP-320.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 20, 2017

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

We'll always have Spiderweb Software

vogel needs to carefully deposit avadon in the trash can and make a new geneforge instead.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Captain Invictus posted:

I'll ask here too in the offchance someone here might know(and it's a much livelier thread than one in SHSC)

my printer arbitrarily started doing this today:

(addresses and poo poo blanked out with green blocks)

It does this, consistently, even after replacing cartridges, for everything, when set to grayscale. When set to color, it prints a solid black sheet of ink-soaked paper. No settings have been changed, no hardware has been hosed with, and it was printing perfectly fine two days ago. What causes this? It doesn't seem to be hardware fuckery since it prints the actual label just fine, except black/magenta/yellow/cyan stripes inverted to what the printout is supposed to be. I don't want to print any more test sheets as, you can likely see, it wastes a SHITLOAD of ink.

Any help would be appreciated, I gotta ship a bunch of stuff today and this cannot continue.

edit: the printer is an Epson XP-320.

Get a new printer. Yours is probably hosed. Printers are cheap pieces of poo poo that are made to break down. I sell printers that literally are sold for less than the cost of ink that can go in them. Just get a new printer on sale for cheap because it will eventually break down too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I just said gently caress it and pulled the backup printer out, an old Epson stylus photo 820. It has never failed to work, but the ink used to be impossible to come by so I stopped using it. Seems like there is now multiple places that sell dirt cheap refills for it so gently caress those Epson 320s. A shame since I've still got a fair amount of ink for the 320s, oh well. Maybe I can sell the two broken ones for parts and include the ink to get a decent amount for them.

Edit: I wouldn't say all printers are cheap poo poo, but newer ones most definitely seem to be. Maybe they're going for manufactured obsolescence with newer models, the photo 820 is a tank.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I wanted to start something new last night, so I fired up one of the Shantae games, Risky's Revenge, I apparently bought on sale like 2 years ago after people 'round these parts were gushing so much about them.
And... it's dull as poo poo? I played up through the second boss and it's nicely animated but boy is the gameplay boring as hell, I was surprised to see it was made in 2010. Are the other games better? Does this one get better after a while?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Edit: I wouldn't say all printers are cheap poo poo, but newer ones most definitely seem to be. Maybe they're going for manufactured obsolescence with newer models, the photo 820 is a tank.

Please get a laser printer

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

I wanted to start something new last night, so I fired up one of the Shantae games, Risky's Revenge, I apparently bought on sale like 2 years ago after people 'round these parts were gushing so much about them.
And... it's dull as poo poo? I played up through the second boss and it's nicely animated but boy is the gameplay boring as hell, I was surprised to see it was made in 2010. Are the other games better? Does this one get better after a while?

Risky' Revenge is ok but is not the one people were gushing about. That's Pirate's Curse. The new one, 1/2 Genie Hero is pretty good too but Pirate's Curse is by far the best one.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Shantae Pirate's Curse and 1/2 Genie Hero are pretty much the only ones I halfway enjoyed playing. Bad level design and sluggish platforming plagues the entire series, I just played it for the tity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spoderman posted:

Please get a laser printer
Got any recommendations?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Uuuugh I'm pumped for the Fiesta and I wanna start playing FFV now, but I'm worried that if I do, I'll be burnt out on it when the Fiesta actually starts. (I'm not the kind of person who can play through it like 12 times.)
I might try playing FFVI for the first time instead.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Got any recommendations?

Any laser printer made by Brother is good, just choose the one with the features you need and do some serious soul searching as to whether or not you need to print in color. If you need to print in color once a month or something, just go to Kinkos, you'll save money on toner/equipment and get a higher quality print than you could ever get with a home printer. If you need to print in photo quality color every day for your job, you may be stuck with an inkjet. Otherwise, get a laser printer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The caveat to that is to buy your printer online and make sure it's a common model. I bought a brother at Staples and when I had some problems with drivers discovered that it's some bullshut limited run model with very limited support. It still prints very well, but it did not plug and play like it was supposed to.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently Tyranny underperformed, which doesn't bode well for the current resurgence of isometric RPGs.

Tyranny came out?

Well huh.

I liked PoE well enough maybe I should look at that too.

Edit: there's a poe2??

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 20, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
half-genie hero is effectively less dull as poo poo version of risky's revenge with really pretty artwork

pretty much everyone could own risky's revenge at this point cause it gets put in lots of bundles and poo poo but yeah, it has some fun bits of dialog but it and shantae 1 are pretty atrocious as actual games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Risky's Revenge has plenty of flaws but it has enough style and pizzazz that I can forgive said flaws.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it doesn't help that pirate's curse and half-genie hero have way better character art

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wouldn't call Risky's Revenge terrible but there's not any reason to play it over the later two games. Its status as the scraps of a canned episodic series shows and it manages to fit some pretty transparent padding into its short runtime.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Motto posted:

I wouldn't call Risky's Revenge terrible but there's not any reason to play it over the later two games. Its status as the scraps of a canned episodic series shows and it manages to fit some pretty transparent padding into its short runtime.

Yeah, I just had to look up where to find a boathouse I was supposed to be going to, and turns out I needed to backtrack to previous areas to find extra abilities that nobody mentioned. Nice '90s era gameplay sensibilities there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My wife, the fire emblem super fan, says the new one is different in bad ways but is similar enough that she'll beat it. She said 6/10 for a review.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
What is that in G*F* scoring

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

raditts posted:

Yeah, I just had to look up where to find a boathouse I was supposed to be going to, and turns out I needed to backtrack to previous areas to find extra abilities that nobody mentioned. Nice '90s era gameplay sensibilities there.

It's literally a Wonder Boy game. Only you get a map.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What is that in G*F* scoring

Ill have to ask her later but she said she mostly likes it because its not the worse phone game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have to respect that they remade a Fire Emblem game from before they'd really decided how Fire Emblem should work and retained all the weird "we don't know how to make Fire Emblem work yet" stuff

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I really hope blizzard adds cross region friends list to bnet before destiny 2 comes out,

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I have to respect that they remade a Fire Emblem game from before they'd really decided how Fire Emblem should work and retained all the weird "we don't know how to make Fire Emblem work yet" stuff

The srpg battle system is apparently too slow for the constant fights in dungeons to keep from getting tiresome.

I usuallu feel the same way about rpgs that try to mix in srpg mechanics. Like arc the lad and trails and others. Cant just mash x through the fodder enemies when you need to move around.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

The maps are atrocious so far but Im still enjoying it and will probably beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Why doesn't the main character of Fates wear shoes tho

• Locked thread