Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
are you all forgetting the gws mre thread? for shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAIL posted:

Constipation: The Life of a Soldier.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
That Good Cheese: Food Culture In The American Armed Forces, Operation Iraqi Freedom - Present

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GAIL posted:

Never forget.

Unfortunately I've run out of rations and the few remaining countries easily found on eBay that I haven't eaten cost up to $80 per ration after shipping, so content is about as dry as biscuits brown these past few weeks.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

bewbies posted:

Pretty much everywhere in America was pro-racism, either codified or de facto, for 80-90 years after the Civil War ended. Hanging a bunch of Confederates wasn't going to change that, nor did not hanging them enable it. All it would have done is sown the seeds for a massive insurgency and probably a far more severe backlash against southern blacks.

It still is, de facto. Maybe not pro-racism so much as doing-racism. Most white Americans still live very much apart from black Americans and treat them with a nervous mixture of fear, guilt, and resentment. It exists in different admixtures, it's expressed in different ways, and some of us try to wrestle it down because we feel bad about it, but it doesn't come out all that different and it's so pervasive that it's treated as a given anyway. The laws have changed, but the underlying attitudes and the actual level of segregation are still propping each other up.

As an American looking at documents of the "segregation era" or the "jim crow south" you can instantly recognize the racial tension. You probably see a difference in how proud of it the white people are, how openly they promote it. You see a lot of difference in policy, some in discourse, and not a ton in baseline racial feeling, from either side. And policy always has room for discretion, right? When you hear about a racist incident now it's usually the racism of someone who exercises a ton of discretion in a limited space or situation-- cops, judges, landlords, managers, loan officers, faculty.

Anyway, my guess is, if you're in the Reconstruction-era government, you won't try to solve this problem by hanging CS Army vets or ex-slaveowners, because it's not even what you were fighting them over. You won't try to solve it any other way, either, because you don't want to. In fact, it's not a problem at all, it's what you think is normal, even right, at worst a huge step forward that you won at an enormous price.

Even if you're a time traveling Leninist blogger empowered to kill all the sons of bitches and set the world to rights, as soon as that's done you're gonna start to discover that the economic disasters of racism are, for Some reason, always just a little bigger in scope than the resources you can spend on fixing them...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
oh wait, one of the big sources of niter is from piles of bird guano, which when you think about it is a nice way to catch an exotic virus

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Good thing soldiers of that era had a iron constitution for the most part. If they didn't, well the elements took care of that.

Seriously, It boggles the mind how many soldiers died of exposure and illness brought on by it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Disinterested posted:

If you're lucky!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Whats Yours Is Now In My Pot: The Napoleonic French Soldiers Guide To Forage Cookery!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Disinterested posted:

Tobasco Sauce on Everything - A Modern British Infantryman's Cookbook
Fixed it for you.

Disinterested posted:

My drill sergeant in basic said that was a feature, I personally think he was full of poo poo (:v:)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The other day when I was posting about the S-21 prison I found this amazing documentary about the mass killings during the Khmer Rouge, and also reconciliation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpaDOkI4VzQ&t=5124s

The film follows director Rithy Panh, one of few inmates to survive the prison, as he confronts and interviews his former guards. With detailed records kept on every single prisoner, daily logs for each prisoner, date of death, an absurd confession (one young girl claimed the CIA had assigned her to poo poo outside a hospital to ruin its reputation), Rithy Panh has ample material with which to confront the men. I've set the video which is the full film to start at one scene near the end where he calls them out for claiming they were just following orders, while they sullenly stare at their shoes like school boys caught smoking behind the gym. Early in the film the guards claim they too were victims of the Khmer Rouge.

And disturbingly it's hard to disagree. Some of the guards were as young as 13, and by one account seven out of ten guards would die before the fall of the Khmer regime, often in the same prisons as all the others. One recounts how all the teenage boys in his village were drafted one day to work on a pig farm. One day a Khmer Rouge cadre came and said 'you've worked hard, so we're going back home to the village!" But they weren't taken home, instead they were brought to S21, and soon they would be charged with an entirely different sort of livestock.

Not every conflict will have such an upfront reckoning with guilt and responsibility. In Indonesia, where the perpetrators of a mass killings of communists and ethnic Chinese in 1965 joined General Suharto in ruling the country for decades. There has never really been a reckoning.

The brother of one victim made this film with director Joshua Oppenheimer, where he confronts the perpetrators. Some of the encounters get pretty tense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsL5HvEB84Q

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hogge Wild posted:

imo guns made revolts more likely to succeed

has anyone researched this?

Do your own homework.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

The key things to remember about the Haitain revolution compared to the situation in the Southern states was:

1. Haiti was 90% slave/10% free, compared to around 50/50 for the Southern states
2. Haiti had both a major slave population and a mixed race middle class with access to money and education, which didn't have an equivalent in the South
3. Haiti was an ocean away from its controlling country, meaning there was a major time delay between events getting worse in Haiti and reinforcements/new orders arriving
4. There was a mountainous border region between Haiti and the Dominican Republic where slave soldiers could hang out and evade detection

IIRC Haiti was the only successful slave revolt in history, so clearly a lot of things have be set up in order to allow one to succeed. Not that that makes slave revolutions much different from regular revolutions.

You also had a long confused period at the start while the revolution was going on in France and no one was quite sure how to interpret this whole 'fraternity' business and quite how far that extended. It was a complete mess, down to African/African descended folks aligning with the royalists, a separate uprising over attempts by the National Assembly to allow freed blacks the right to vote and subsequent refusal by the colonial governor to acquiesce, and further nonsense.

You did have plenty of slave revolts that ended in arms, plenty of Maroon communities existed where the terrain allowed it.

I think we are also underplaying quite a bit of how radical the period of "radical" reconstruction really was.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
hey guyz tell me the answer to question five on Prof. Hauser's final I really need to know how gunz did a thing

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

hey guyz tell me the answer to question five on Prof. Hauser's final I really need to know how gunz did a thing

GunZ: The Duel (Korean: 건즈 온라인), or simply GunZ, was an online third-person shooting game, created by South Korean-based MAIET Entertainment.

It was free-to-play, with a microtransaction business model for purchasing premium in-game items. The game allowed players to perform exaggerated, gravity-defying action moves, including wall running, stunning, tumbling, and blocking bullets with swords, in the style of action films and anime.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Good thing soldiers of that era had a iron constitution for the most part. If they didn't, well the elements took care of that.

Seriously, It boggles the mind how many soldiers died of exposure and illness brought on by it.

Ask us about Military History Mk. III: A wave of dysentery ensued

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somebody should do a historical soldier food book.

Cuirass fried horse flank.

Liquified corned beef and kale potato mash from tins with wild hog sateh
:geert:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

the answer is in my profile's homepage section

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
It's not exactly thread related, but does anyone have a good link about life expectancy in the Middle Ages? Someone commented on the interwebs that it was up to mid 30s while I had recently heard that going up to 60s wasn't uncommon.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

JcDent posted:

It's not exactly thread related, but does anyone have a good link about life expectancy in the Middle Ages? Someone commented on the interwebs that it was up to mid 30s while I had recently heard that going up to 60s wasn't uncommon.

Isn't the thing that child mortality was really high? Lots of people dying in their first few years really drags the average lifespan down, so it ends up being like 30. However, if you make it past the first few years of life, you've got a very good shot at getting to 60.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

People often spread the myth that people at various points in history couldn't expect to live much longer than to your 30's based on not understanding that the average life expectancy would be dragged down by high infant mortality. If you survived to adulthood you could probably expect to live longer than into your 30's. Maybe 60 or more if war or disease didn't get ya.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Seems like median age would be a better metric.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grevling posted:

People often spread the myth that people at various points in history couldn't expect to live much longer than to your 30's based on not understanding that the average life expectancy would be dragged down by high infant mortality. If you survived to adulthood you could probably expect to live longer than into your 30's. Maybe 60 or more if war or disease didn't get ya.

This is true, but a lot of people also play down adult mortality due to random bullshit due to reasons of their own. IF you google it one of the first things you turn up is some guy claiming that cave men lived to 80 and the infant mortality rate is a huge red herring all as part of a way to try and sell you his paleo diet.

There are tons of sources from that era that talk about infection, in particular, being a really terrible killer and how young, healthy people would routinely die of relatively minor injuries and illnesses. So while it's not quite as grim as no one reaching their 40th, if we were to go back then and look around it would probably be fairly shocking for just how common death was in people's lives.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeah, once you get past the death bump of infancy, and after accounting for disease and childbirth and war and random accidents, you have a good chance of making to your 40 and 50s. and if those things fail to kill you, there's nothing actually stopping you from hitting 70

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't have any proof such on this, but I suspect that if you could look at life expectancy kind of by year through the middle ages, most years it wouldn't be substantially different from the early 20th century. However, every so often you have a famine or pandemic and a LOT of people die and so the overall average number is fairly bleak.

I'm not sure what the mathematical/statistical term is for that but I think it is a thing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm more interested in finding out what life was like for people naturally immune to the Bubonic Plague.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Death rate calculations for medieval times are probably going to be complicated by the fact that the lives of poor people are gonna be far more spottily recorded than the lives of the rich. I kinda doubt there's a lot of 60 year old peasants hanging around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bewbies posted:

I don't have any proof such on this, but I suspect that if you could look at life expectancy kind of by year through the middle ages, most years it wouldn't be substantially different from the early 20th century. However, every so often you have a famine or pandemic and a LOT of people die and so the overall average number is fairly bleak.

I'm not sure what the mathematical/statistical term is for that but I think it is a thing.

It's not just pandemics and famines, it's also opportunistic infections, made worse if you have some food security issues. If you're a farmer and get a decent cut on your leg while harvesting or something you could end up really, really hosed. We're also just talking about men here so far. Childbirth was much more dangerous for the mother.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Fangz posted:

Death rate calculations for medieval times are probably going to be complicated by the fact that the lives of poor people are gonna be far more spottily recorded than the lives of the rich. I kinda doubt there's a lot of 60 year old peasants hanging around.

In all honesty I would assume that the only empirically solid data on it comes from archaeology. I've seen age records from the 17th century that just plain made no sense unless you realized that people back then didn't really count their age like we do - you were 30 until you were about 40. Then you were 40 until you were pretty clearly past 50, and so on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's not just pandemics and famines, it's also opportunistic infections, made worse if you have some food security issues. If you're a farmer and get a decent cut on your leg while harvesting or something you could end up really, really hosed. We're also just talking about men here so far. Childbirth was much more dangerous for the mother.

Didn't childbirth become a lot more dangerous when they started doing it in hospitals? Back before they figured out that doctors should sanitize more to cross-contamination with all those sick people hospitals have in them..

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

In all honesty I would assume that the only empirically solid data on it comes from archaeology. I've seen age records from the 17th century that just plain made no sense unless you realized that people back then didn't really count their age like we do - you were 30 until you were about 40. Then you were 40 until you were pretty clearly past 50, and so on.

And I heard they got lost if they tried to find the next village over.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Didn't childbirth become a lot more dangerous when they started doing it in hospitals? Back before they figured out that doctors should sanitize more to cross-contamination with all those sick people hospitals have in them..

Sure, but there are a whole host of complications from childbirth that killed people back when that don't any more. It was still a major source of female mortality.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My friend just told me about some( Italian?) dude who was impervious to the plague and therefore sought employment writing peoples final wills. Apparently he's an extremely useful historical source for the period - anyone know who I'm talking about?

My guy didn't know his name or the time period, but knew some fun stories, like how a dying guy saw a relative creeping around by his gate waiting for him to die, and then had the relative written out of the will for being a dick :D

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Fangz posted:

Being a peasant isn't automatically bad. Chances are if you live somewhere fertile, the work you put in isn't insane and you don't need to dig through the hillsides for turnips.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's more common to die from hemorrhaging. Also, there's a bunch of complications that we deal with through C-sections nowadays, but in the past would be a traumatic miscarriage. Also, a bunch of stuff can happen before labour that isn't good for you.

Maternity is scary.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

dublish posted:

And I heard they got lost if they tried to find the next village over.

ah yes also the naked peasant so delightfully common in those times.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I love the tendency of this thread to take the most extreme bullshit arguments out there and present them like they're a normal stance.

Just because one dude wrote an insane book doesn't mean that life in the middle ages wasn't a hard slog full of ways to die compared to later eras.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SlothfulCobra posted:

Copying from the Wiki article on germ theory since I'm being lazy:

quote:

Ignaz Semmelweis was a Hungarian obstetrician working at the Vienna General Hospital (Allgemeines Krankenhaus) in 1847, when he noticed the dramatically high incidence of death from puerperal fever among women who delivered at the hospital with the help of the doctors and medical students. Births attended by the midwives were relatively safe. Investigating further, Semmelweis made the connection between puerperal fever and examinations of delivering women by doctors, and further realized that these physicians had usually come directly from autopsies. Asserting that puerperal fever was a contagious disease and that matter from autopsies were implicated in its development, Semmelweis made doctors wash their hands with chlorinated lime water before examining pregnant women, thereby reducing mortality from childbirth from 18% to 2.2% at his hospital. Nevertheless, he and his theories were rejected by most of the contemporary medical establishment.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Quoting from notes of mine from years ago:

[In the UK]:

quote:

Expectation of life at birth, which averaged only 32.4 years in the 1670’s and 1680’s at the start of the ‘long’ eighteenth century [1700-1820's], had risen to an average of 38.7 years in the 1810’s and 20’s. The increase was smooth and unbroken from the 1730’s. Those in early 1680’s and 1720’s did however suffer particularly high death rates. Life expectancy, then, grew around 6 years in the long 18th century.

Fertility, in gross reproduction rate, increased from 1.98 to 2.94. Average crude birth rate rose from 30.7 to 39.6 and death rate fell from 30.7 to 24.5.

What is the relative importance of death rate vs mortality rate?. In 1670’s-80’s intrinsic growth rate was -.0013. In a century this would cause a fall in population of 12%. In the 1810’s and 20’s the rate averaged .0167, a level sufficient to cause a population rise of 424% if maintained for a century. Fertility rise contributed two and a half times more than mortality drop.

quote:

The last serious famine in Britain was in Scotland in 1697-9, in France there were 16 nation-wide famines between 1700-1789, and a serious subsistence crisis as late as 1819. In 19th century France, the survival of small farms was at the expense of rigid controls on fertility in order to prevent pressure on resources, so that there was virtually no population growth; and food prices were maintained by tariffs.

Virtually every increase in life expectancy in the same period (which did rise) came from infant mortality reduction.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 20, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, at least this lady posits that archeological data shows life in Wales not to have been long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ignaz Semmelweis

In case you wondered about whether we lived in a just and fair world, as his reward for discovering one of the major causes of death in birthing mothers at the time, Ignaz was ostracized by the medical community, rendered penniless and eventually beaten to death by guards at the age of 47 after having been committed to a mental asylum.