Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Selachian posted:

Isn't the second one Cap decapitating (ha) Baron Blood? Not so much killing as re-deadifying.

Yeah vampires are a grey area, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wanderer posted:

If I remember correctly, the "no killing" rule was one of Jim Shooter's editorial edicts, and for the non-X-Men part of the Marvel Universe, it survived into the Tom DeFalco era through plot momentum.

It got quietly put out to pasture around the time that Quesada became editor-in-chief, although it still crops up at odd times here and there.

maybe it was shooter but it definitely felt like gruenwald actually believed that and wanted to push it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lurdiak posted:

That's because marketing is laser focused on them and readers have been trained to believe they "matter" more than regular books.

Arguably they matter less because the biggest events often just reset the whole universe. It sound dramatic and all, but when the resolution is "And nothing actually changed because everything was always just this way now" then why fuss about the event in the first place, just start reading the new continuity because the big thing literally never happened. Except when it comes back for a second round.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lurdiak posted:

Jim Shooter was such a rube.

Agreed but you have to admit there was a lot of really great stuff coming out from Marvel when he was Editor in Chief. Daredevil, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Fantastic Four, New Mutants and...um...

Actually never mind cause that's about it.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The completely random and dumb thing that I remember about Operation Galactic Storm was the fight scene between some of the Avengers and the Kree... I don't remember what they were even called. The Shiar obviously have their Imperial Guard of (depending on your perspective) kind of hilarious Legion of Superheroes knock offs but the Kree never had anything like that -- they had the Accusers who were boring and like the Sentry robots who were even more boring. Someone during the course of writing that mess of a story decided that they needed a Winter Guard style team of 'Hey We Have Superheroes Too, See' Crossover fodder and so they introduced a very 90s collection of assorted superpowered Kree. One of them introduced himself as a 'Kree Eternal' which doesn't really make any kind of sense even in the extremely stretchable Marvel continuity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

The completely random and dumb thing that I remember about Operation Galactic Storm was the fight scene between some of the Avengers and the Kree... I don't remember what they were even called. The Shiar obviously have their Imperial Guard of (depending on your perspective) kind of hilarious Legion of Superheroes knock offs but the Kree never had anything like that -- they had the Accusers who were boring and like the Sentry robots who were even more boring. Someone during the course of writing that mess of a story decided that they needed a Winter Guard style team of 'Hey We Have Superheroes Too, See' Crossover fodder and so they introduced a very 90s collection of assorted superpowered Kree. One of them introduced himself as a 'Kree Eternal' which doesn't really make any kind of sense even in the extremely stretchable Marvel continuity.

How can you forget the memorable characters involved in Galactic Storm when they were immortalized in the greatest game of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpWwbcnVOQk&t=1932s

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah vampires are a grey area, but still.

Cap will kill a Vampire without a second's notice. Just ask Jubilee about that time he took her Vampire hunting.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

At the beginning of Brubaker's Cap run Cap kills several bad guys and when Sharon bitches at him about it he's all, "Oh, you mean those terrorists who were about to kill thousands with a chemical attack? Those guys?"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lurdiak posted:

How can you forget the memorable characters involved in Galactic Storm when they were immortalized in the greatest game of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpWwbcnVOQk&t=1932s

Really did not expect to see the Best Friends popping up in this thread, but very happy that they are.

Also those designs are ludicrously outdated for their time. Was this supposed to be the nineties?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What do you remember the 90s being like, because I remember a whole lot of boring Kree characters looking exactly like that.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
My sum experience of comics in the 90s was like 3 issues of Spawn and the Marvel and Batman cartoons.

And uh, Sonic The Comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The early 90s were actually even worse visually than the SPIKEGAR THE MUTILATOR stuff people love to make fun of from slightly later in the decade, because the big two combined the trending gritty overmuscular image aesthetic with leftover 80s costume tackiness, leading to pages like this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I know why there are two Captain Americas, but did they both need to bring a Rick Jones?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

NorgLyle posted:

I remember my grandma giving me a random middle chapter of Operation Galactic Storm where Iron Man fought a guy called Shatterax. Even in my giddy childhood excitement at having any new comic at all I instinctively knew that that scrub did not matter to anybody.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Ghostlight posted:

I know why there are two Captain Americas, but did they both need to bring a Rick Jones?

Everybody needs friends.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The early 90s were actually even worse visually than the SPIKEGAR THE MUTILATOR stuff people love to make fun of from slightly later in the decade, because the big two combined the trending gritty overmuscular image aesthetic with leftover 80s costume tackiness, leading to pages like this.

I can't take my eyes of Black Widow. Her head looks like it's at half-scale too her body.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The 90's were a crazy time. The drugs, the women, their heads.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Operation Galactic Storm was a million issues too long and I'm saying that as someone who read the full thing on MU. Could not imagine how interminable it would have felt reading through it as it was actually being released.

But it did have at least one bright spot. As kid I happened upon the issue where Masterson Thor fights Gladiator. That was a great fight and I would still remember it years later when I came across that kind of action in DBZ.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

But it did have at least one bright spot. As kid I happened upon the issue where Masterson Thor fights Gladiator. That was a great fight and I would still remember it years later when I came across that kind of action in DBZ.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lurdiak posted:

What do you remember the 90s being like...

Lots of cross hatching.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Lurdiak posted:

That's Nick Fury? He looks like Dirk Anger got swole. Which is kinda the point of Dirk, sure, but it's not a good look.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

I love Galactic Storm, maybe the first really great Marvel space story.

Also Monica always sucked and keeps sucking

I'd just like to point out that this is an opinion that was expressed in a universe where Nextwave exists.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So I was wrong about Galactic Storm as it is it takes place a lot later then I expected, so I was wrong about.

Monica was the worst character in Nextwave.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Counterpoint: There are no Worst Characters in Nextwave. It is perfection in comic format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Nextwave is good because there are still a few things I like about Transmetropolitan so it's nice to have a different Warren Ellis Project With the Most Insufferable Fans

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

Nextwave is good because there are still a few things I like about Transmetropolitan so it's nice to have a different Warren Ellis Project With the Most Insufferable Fans

E&C we don't always see eye to eye but on this we are as one

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well Mantis led to a really long interesting discussion. I don't think the next will do as well, but here we go.

Day 60: Gatecrasher

Recently surfacing in the new Rocket Raccoon heist series by Al Ewing (read it, it's great) we have Gatecrasher. Appearing in Excalibur, Gatecrasher was the lead of group known as Technet. Technet was a sizeable team of bounty hunters with a wide range of abilities and skills. Most of them seem to be involved in this run of Rocket Raccoon and the team seems to be split now with half still siding with Gatecrasher and half with Rocket Raccoon as they both are targeting the same score.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Love the Technet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Uh is Gatecrasher a Male or Female. I can't tell, but am kind of leaning female.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dude, look at them. Why do you think binary gender even applies in this situation?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gatecrasher is female.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Gatecrasher also did great work as the queen in Final Fantasy IX.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Gatecrasher is awesome. All those Davis villains in that Excalibur run are awesome.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I've fallen off listening to Jay & Miles Xplain the X-Men, but hell yeah I recognize a minor recurring character from the late Eighties. It turns out that's 90% of the stuff that needs Xplaining. As I recall, Technet are interdimensional bounty hunters with a frequently shifting membership and they form a rivalry with their future selves.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Gatecrasher is great, Technet is great, this is inarguable.

Alan Davis designs help a lot.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
8"3" 1111 lbs I think that was the girl who just left my place I met at the bar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm confused and slightly angry that this doesn't appear to be the same incredibly fat blue alien bounty hunter Deadpool briefly dated.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Ghostlight posted:

It took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about but only because I sadly recognize the 'Rick Jones' standing directly behind US Agent as Hercules in one of his always awful makeover attempts.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wow. That is a terrible re-design.

Who is the woman standing next to Iron Man/Or possibly War Machine, on the right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Deptfordx posted:

Wow. That is a terrible re-design.

Who is the woman standing next to Iron Man/Or possibly War Machine, on the right?

I think Sersi. I hated that costume if only because at first glance you'd think she was the scarlet witch with a black dye job.

• Locked thread