Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I rage quit for the first time just now.

A green elf deck that also had Opposition. He could just keep all my land tapped indefinitely. Saw no point in continuing the game. Guess I'll have to start playing best of 3 and actually using a sideboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

A green elf deck that also had Opposition. He could just keep all my land tapped indefinitely. Saw no point in continuing the game. Guess I'll have to start playing best of 3 and actually using a sideboard.

Quitting when you can't win is just conceding.

Uhhh also yeah what are you playing that's one game and no sideboards

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you can choose to play best of ones in the just for fun rooms

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Now that you've gotten your feet wet what have you been playing/brewing?

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

... For example, Ray of Command and Swords to Plowshares are solid on their own and also work really well together. ...

I remember losing a match to Ray of Command + Swords to Plowshares way back in the day (97 or 98).

What made it memorable (and frankly, I never thought this memory would ever resurface) was that the guy I lost to was named Ray. He was probably in his late-30's, had super thick glasses, bleach blond hair, and the kicker - always wearing cutoff jean shorts (think Tobias Funke).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tortilla Maker posted:

I remember losing a match to Ray of Command + Swords to Plowshares way back in the day (97 or 98).

What made it memorable (and frankly, I never thought this memory would ever resurface) was that the guy I lost to was named Ray. He was probably in his late-30's, had super thick glasses, bleach blond hair, and the kicker - always wearing cutoff jean shorts (think Tobias Funke).

Ray sounds really cool.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GerryT FTW

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I was rooting for Gerry in the finals, and now I'm extra glad I did.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
That's how you do it!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I can't wait to win a PT trophy with a $12 bid.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

I can't wait to win a PT trophy with a $12 bid.

Its embarrassing how bad the pt trophies are.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I'm honestly surprised they get to take the trophy home, and it's not some sorta weird MTV Movie Awards situation where they just recycle the poo poo later.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Soul Glo posted:

I'm honestly surprised they get to take the trophy home, and it's not some sorta weird MTV Movie Awards situation where they just recycle the poo poo later.

They get the topper, the base with all the names stays with wizards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone seen the Chris Fennell/Lingering Souls BW Zombies against Marvel decks? How do they sideboard? I feel like there's not much it can do besides with Unmake the Marvel or the Ulamogs it casts.

I've also not figured out what the Scrapheap Scroungers are for in the board. Just to go more aggressive against slower decks? Never figured out what to drop.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone seen the Chris Fennell/Lingering Souls BW Zombies against Marvel decks? How do they sideboard? I feel like there's not much it can do besides with Unmake the Marvel or the Ulamogs it casts.

I've also not figured out what the Scrapheap Scroungers are for in the board. Just to go more aggressive against slower decks? Never figured out what to drop.
Transgress the Mind and Anguished Unmaking vs marvel, presumably cutting Fatal Pushes since they don't really hit anything in that deck.

Scrapheap Scrounger would replace removal in the matchups where you want them.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Cactrot posted:

They get the topper, the base with all the names stays with wizards.

:lol: Oh, of course. I was right to be surprised, at least.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tales of Woe posted:

Transgress the Mind and Anguished Unmaking vs marvel, presumably cutting Fatal Pushes since they don't really hit anything in that deck.

Scrapheap Scrounger would replace removal in the matchups where you want them.

Yeah, I think I drew badly against Marvel, thats what I did.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Yeah I'd probably try to sell that to help out Planned Parenthood too. There's no way I'd be showing that off on my mantle. GerryT is gas.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, some guy posted an actually pretty good takedown of Amonkhet's graphic design, and how the design has been kinda lacking in general as the years go by.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Veyrall posted:

So, some guy posted an actually pretty good takedown of Amonkhet's graphic design, and how the design has been kinda lacking in general as the years go by.

He had me up until he said Mouth is a dumb name for a card, and now we have a blood feud.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I disagree with most of that video. The cards look better than ever, even if some of the Amonkhet art is not quite to my taste.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I hope they get rid of the black border and just print art all the way to the edge. If Invocations are legal with a glittering gold top edge, it should be find to print borderless cards.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

The Marvel match up is good, but my sideboard had 4 transgress and 2 dispossess. sounds excessive but I only boarded in 3 transgress vs Marvel (and both dispossess) and I needed more hand disruption because I boarded out all the removal except Salvation. Having 4 Transgress vs UR, which is a less than stellar match up, is important.

I didn't find old scrappy to actually be very good, at anything, and it doesn't work with cryptbreaker and will make diregraf colossus smaller. I'd honestly just have the 6 cards I mentioned, some Never // Return, a couple Declaration in stone, and 3-4 Gideon.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Hellsau posted:

I hope they get rid of the black border and just print art all the way to the edge. If Invocations are legal with a glittering gold top edge, it should be find to print borderless cards.

Legality isn't the problem there, it's that then you'd have no margin of error at all for cutting the cards correctly. You'd see all sorts of horrible art bleed. You already see cards that are noticeably off-center, but because of the border there isn't anything visible from other cards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So on MTGO if you have a Vampiric Tutor in hand and a Skirge Familiar in play, you can click the Tutor to try to cast it, then discard it to the Familiar to make the black mana you needed. The Tutor won't get cast, you won't get a mana, and you get this error.

quote:

1:13 AM: ??bug?? Vampiric Tutor tried to move from limbo to 1001728

Good times. Also you get shunted into the combat step apparently? Because I didn't hit F2. At least you don't lose the 2 life for the Tutor.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
anyone have experience using Manatraders or another card renting service for modo? they on the level? i'd like to play standard without pants on and without spending 300+ on digital pieces of cardboard (at one time)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Hellsau posted:

So on MTGO if you have a Vampiric Tutor in hand and a Skirge Familiar in play, you can click the Tutor to try to cast it, then discard it to the Familiar to make the black mana you needed. The Tutor won't get cast, you won't get a mana, and you get this error.

Good times. Also you get shunted into the combat step apparently? Because I didn't hit F2. At least you don't lose the 2 life for the Tutor.

Is THAT how you go to combat????

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
How does the New Perspectives//Approach the Second Sun go off without Weirding Wood? You can only generate 12 Mana (4-2+4-2+4-2+4-2) plus any basics put into play via Sheffet Monitor. Is the hope really to hit all 4 viziers, all 4 Shadow of the Grave, and at least 2 lands?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My new favorite thing in Magic is watching my opponents pour two single-target removal spells into my Torrential Gearhulk just to kill it. Then I follow it up with another one.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DangerDongs posted:

U/R Emerge folk, how can Mardu beat you unplayable draws aside?

Yeah I'm suprised that UR emerge didn't have a stronger showing recently. It seems well positioned.

Edit: Holy poo poo Gerry, that loving rules.

Double Edit: Is there a way to withdraw from a MTGO league queue and get your product back? If you hit cancel it doesn't look like you get it back...

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 20, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I just went 3-0 with the worst deck in the Gauntlet, Mono-Red Land Destruction, due to my opponents getting laughably unlucky. Feels nice beating Academy with two Chills in play because you attacked them from 20 to 8 with a loving Mogg Fanatic, then two more attacks with it and a Ghitu Encampment plus one Cursed Scroll activation while the opponent does nothing, then winning the last game because the opponent didn't know that Intuition could get three of the same card!

Combo Winter Gauntlet power rankings:

Tier 1: Jar
Tier 2: Bargain, Academy
Tier 3: Tinker
Tier 4: Replenish, lovely Black Deck with heavy modifications to the maindeck, Wildfire
Tier 5: Red Land Destruction, lovely Morphling Deck, Stompy

The powerlevel between the decks take MASSIVE steps downward between the tiers. Jar is insanely good, hard to stop, and it plays three Megrim as part of its gameplan - Bargain and Academy cannot win with a Megrim in play and have zero maindeck answers. Tinker is too slow to beat Jar/Bargain/Academy, but basically cannot lose to a bunch of the shittier decks. Replenish is inconsistent as all hell, it's slow, and it can't do anything to stop the opponent from comboing, but I guess it can't lose with Opalescence + Parallax Wave + Parallax Tide in play. lovely Black Deck is so stupidly built - Engineered Plague in particular does literally nothing except against Stompy which can't ever beat you - so move the garbage out of the maindeck to fit all the discard you can and just hope to strip your opponent of all resources and kill them before they draw out of it. The Morphling deck is useless without an early Grim Monolith powering some threat out, and it just folds over to Skittering Skirge + discard which is just sad.

Are they really forced to include completely useless decks? They're stretching across multiple different formats, from Tempest block + Saga, to Tempest block + Legacy, to a bunch of lovely underpowered decks using cards from Masques. The sideboards also make no sense, like what the gently caress is Massacre doing there? Why is the LD Red deck using Scald instead of Pyroblast, Sixth Edition didn't come out to replace Fifth until Urza's Legacy. Stompy I guess is the true example of there being no fail rate on Grizzly Bears, but that's not much fun to play. I'd kind of be down for Stompy, Monoblack, Monored, some lovely White Weenie deck and some lovely Morphling deck battling it out, but throwing that poo poo up against Jar is ludicrous.

Also why the hell is the LD deck not running Mox Diamond, like jesus christ.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PJOmega posted:

How does the New Perspectives//Approach the Second Sun go off without Weirding Wood? You can only generate 12 Mana (4-2+4-2+4-2+4-2) plus any basics put into play via Sheffet Monitor. Is the hope really to hit all 4 viziers, all 4 Shadow of the Grave, and at least 2 lands?

I imagine the idea is that you're cycling a lot, so you can find a Weirding Wood. Alternatively, I feel like you can probably engineer a situation against a lot of decks where you Second Sun and then pass with 2 mana up and cycling fog in hand. I don't play standard, though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

So I just went 3-0 with the worst deck in the Gauntlet, Mono-Red Land Destruction, due to my opponents getting laughably unlucky. Feels nice beating Academy with two Chills in play because you attacked them from 20 to 8 with a loving Mogg Fanatic, then two more attacks with it and a Ghitu Encampment plus one Cursed Scroll activation while the opponent does nothing, then winning the last game because the opponent didn't know that Intuition could get three of the same card!

Combo Winter Gauntlet power rankings:

Tier 1: Jar
Tier 2: Bargain, Academy
Tier 3: Tinker
Tier 4: Replenish, lovely Black Deck with heavy modifications to the maindeck, Wildfire
Tier 5: Red Land Destruction, lovely Morphling Deck, Stompy

The powerlevel between the decks take MASSIVE steps downward between the tiers. Jar is insanely good, hard to stop, and it plays three Megrim as part of its gameplan - Bargain and Academy cannot win with a Megrim in play and have zero maindeck answers. Tinker is too slow to beat Jar/Bargain/Academy, but basically cannot lose to a bunch of the shittier decks. Replenish is inconsistent as all hell, it's slow, and it can't do anything to stop the opponent from comboing, but I guess it can't lose with Opalescence + Parallax Wave + Parallax Tide in play. lovely Black Deck is so stupidly built - Engineered Plague in particular does literally nothing except against Stompy which can't ever beat you - so move the garbage out of the maindeck to fit all the discard you can and just hope to strip your opponent of all resources and kill them before they draw out of it. The Morphling deck is useless without an early Grim Monolith powering some threat out, and it just folds over to Skittering Skirge + discard which is just sad.

Are they really forced to include completely useless decks? They're stretching across multiple different formats, from Tempest block + Saga, to Tempest block + Legacy, to a bunch of lovely underpowered decks using cards from Masques. The sideboards also make no sense, like what the gently caress is Massacre doing there? Why is the LD Red deck using Scald instead of Pyroblast, Sixth Edition didn't come out to replace Fifth until Urza's Legacy. Stompy I guess is the true example of there being no fail rate on Grizzly Bears, but that's not much fun to play. I'd kind of be down for Stompy, Monoblack, Monored, some lovely White Weenie deck and some lovely Morphling deck battling it out, but throwing that poo poo up against Jar is ludicrous.

Also why the hell is the LD deck not running Mox Diamond, like jesus christ.

i got the monoblack control bullshit 3 times in a row and discovered first hand just how terrible discard is against the top of the deck when basically everyone is drawing an instant win combo.

and hey at least you can pitch the useless loving cards to unmask :shepicide:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

TheDemon posted:

You need one, preferably two Commit // Memory in the 75. Commit is an unconditional counterspell that even works on can't be countered and on every single relevant threat that could accidentally hit the board, and Memory gets you all your fogs back and turns on Fevered Visions.

ManMythLegend posted:

I might have to try it. I've been hesitant though because Commit is just really expensive for a counter and really just delays them casting whatever bomb they were trying to drop and it doesn't end up really delaying them that long if I have a Visions or two out.

So trip report: I was wrong and you were totally right. Commit // Memory is better then Wildest Dreams in every way.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide in Mardu if I should have a 2/2 split between Veteran Motorist and Thalia or remove a single Thalia or both for more Motorist.

Motorist is faster, and scrying is huge. How important is Thalia's effect?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Official MTG stream is trash, 720p only and showing Marvel mirrors.

Starting now, SGC Team Constructed (teams of 3, one Standard, one Modern, one Legacy), looks fun.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

AceClown posted:

Starting now, SGC Team Constructed (teams of 3, one Standard, one Modern, one Legacy), looks fun.

Cannot wait to watch some of this SCG event. They have the best coverage and team is a fun format.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tri format teams sounds phenomenal, that should be the standard

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

AceClown posted:

??? They are showing BW zombies VS UR control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

??? They are showing BW zombies VS UR control.

They must have changed after I switched over to SCG