Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Aren't you supposed to just bail after that boss goes down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Fruits of the sea posted:

Keldorn is a paladin who can cast true seeing and an extra powerful dispel magic, as well as use the best sword in the game.

Mazzy is actually surprisingly good as a fighter.

Valygar gives you access to a cool quest but you don't need him to be alive for that.

Alright I'm curious.
What does Mazzy have going for her that makes her passable? Because I saw 'Halfling Fighter with 15 strength' and was like 'I can fix the strength but not the small."

Also: Korgan. Grumpy brutal bastard.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Mazzy has 18 dex, 16 CON and innate remove fear, haste, lay of hands and a 4th I forgot. Her proficiencies are rear end though, you'll probably want to shadowkeeper them. Being short also gives her a -4 bonus to saving throws against Death, Spells and Wands (via the 16 CON).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright I'm curious.
What does Mazzy have going for her that makes her passable? Because I saw 'Halfling Fighter with 15 strength' and was like 'I can fix the strength but not the small."

Also: Korgan. Grumpy brutal bastard.

You get some good short sword's early on, and eventually get an awesome shortbow that Mazzie's specced for perfectly, and her pseudo-Paladin powers are useful.

Korgan is a murder dwarf.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, do not underestimate the power of a halfling fighter spewing out arrows/bullets with grandmaster proficiency.

Also d&d loves halflings, they always get nice bonuses to saves. And AC too, depending on the edition.

Halfling barbarian is a lot of fun as a player character.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Mazzy's short sword is also one of the very few items that grant immunity to stun.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Suspicious posted:

Aren't you supposed to just bail after that boss goes down?

Couldn't. Needed to pick up my inventory.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Valygar has poo poo for content outside the planar sphere quest, but he's decent in combat, particularly if you use his backstabs well. Give him celestial fury and one of the +APR weapons in his offhand and he's really strong.

Also if you have the EEs then all of the new NPCs are useful, maybe with the exception of the thief woman.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

bike tory posted:

Valygar has poo poo for content outside the planar sphere quest, but he's decent in combat, particularly if you use his backstabs well. Give him celestial fury and one of the +APR weapons in his offhand and he's really strong.

Also if you have the EEs then all of the new NPCs are useful, maybe with the exception of the thief woman.

I don't know what they were thinking making Hexxat just a single-class thief. She's got a giant slate of bullshit Special Snowflake bonuses, but despite her illegally high stats, special race with all sorts of benefits and immunities, and suite of special abilities on par with or superior to level 5 spells, she's still the worst NPC in the game mechanically because at that level single-class thieves are just that bad. She's even worse than Cernd.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't know what they were thinking making Hexxat just a single-class thief. She's got a giant slate of bullshit Special Snowflake bonuses, but despite her illegally high stats, special race with all sorts of benefits and immunities, and suite of special abilities on par with or superior to level 5 spells, she's still the worst NPC in the game mechanically because at that level single-class thieves are just that bad. She's even worse than Cernd.

Yea, but modded to a Shadowdancer she is kinda fun if you don't mind babysitting all the time.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
for all the flak that Beamdog got for new content, I really liked all but one of the new NPC's, and I usually try to pick up one or two of them when I'm doing a run. Hexxat was the one that really made me roll my eyes and the fact that she has a Bag of Holding just makes it worse

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Neera was the only one I could stand, but I'm a sidequest whore and only missed Hexxat because I screwed up getting her quest at the start.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't know that she's worse than Cernd. You do actually need thieves for trap finding and unlocking poo poo, and regardless of their combat ability once they get HLAs their traps make up for any other shittiness. Multiclass or dual class is better but I wouldn't say she's the worst. She also gets decent backstabs with her ridiculous stats.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man I'm enjoying Hordes of the Underdark fine so far but drat the henchman system is starting to piss me off. Why the gently caress do you have so many skillpoints wasted on Spellcraft and Concentration Deekin? Your Perform is barely 28, WITH stat-boosting items! You need 35 for your level! And now I lose my rogue and get some drow who theoretically has half her levels in Rogue/Assassin but Disable Trap/Open Lock doesn't even show up on her character sheet. Great.

Surely there's some way to edit their skills that google doesn't want to tell me about right? At least I could just cheat myself infinite open lock/disable trap/search in protest but poor Deekin's lagging Perform has no such easy fix.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Man I'm enjoying Hordes of the Underdark fine so far but drat the henchman system is starting to piss me off. Why the gently caress do you have so many skillpoints wasted on Spellcraft and Concentration Deekin? Your Perform is barely 28, WITH stat-boosting items! You need 35 for your level! And now I lose my rogue and get some drow who theoretically has half her levels in Rogue/Assassin but Disable Trap/Open Lock doesn't even show up on her character sheet. Great.

Surely there's some way to edit their skills that google doesn't want to tell me about right? At least I could just cheat myself infinite open lock/disable trap/search in protest but poor Deekin's lagging Perform has no such easy fix.

Presumably you could just open up the modules in the toolset

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Insurrectionist posted:

I've always brought Valen along as soon as he becomes available, all he can really do is murder people but as a Weapon Master he's real good at that job. Pop him into some permahaste gear and he'll run all over the opposition.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Insurrectionist posted:

If you use Leto you can open up your save file and edit your companions' stats/skills/feats to your taste.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

If you use Leto you can open up your save file and edit your companions' stats/skills/feats to your taste.

I haven't fiddled with save-editors yet, but this sounds like a worthy cause

And Valen seems lame as hell + my AA already kills poo poo like a machine-gun so I definitely don't need more combat power, which is why I'm real mad my utility henchmen are so bad at utility

E: that was surprisingly simple, now to hope it actually sticks through leveling up and the like

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 20, 2017

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, another stupid question about an idiosyncrasy re: Planescape: Torment

I recruited Nordom in the Maze, but I had to leave a party member (morte) behind. What do I do when/if I want him back? Do I have to never reset the Modron dungeon again? Will he eventually go back to the Mortuary (because he isn't there now)

(I'm starting to think this game would have been better as a visual novel)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 21, 2017

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
A better question is why didn't you boot Vhailor or Ignus instead of Morte?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think if the character is stuck in the randomised portion of the maze it's RIP mort. Can't remember if it re-randomises upon entry in to the cube.

If you can go back to the maze and it's still in the same configuration you should be able to get him.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Entropy238 posted:

Playing through NWN has made me wonder wtf Wizards of the Coast were smoking when they created 3E Clerics:

– Implosion (Best AoE Death Spell in the game, +3 DC Bonus, Works on Death Immune and Mind Immune)
– Holy Word, no save AoE party friendly blind
– Heal and Mass Heal
– Harm
– Can increase BAB to level of fighter with one spell
– Massive Accuracy/Damage Boosts
– Undead Turning
– Buffs out the gills
– Ridiculous Synergy with Monk

Was NWN a relatively faithful implementation of the 3E ruleset on Clerics?

Reminds me of how I spent considerable time as a teenager theorycrafting how to get the maximum amount of implosions to speed up boss fights on the AW Path of Ascension servers. If I remember correctly, I ended up dual-wielding kamas or some stupid poo poo and had like 8 implosions per rest, which gave me a pretty good chances of one-shotting the bosses.

Smol fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 21, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Smol posted:

Reminds me of how I spent considerable time as a teenager theorycrafting how to get the maximum amount of implosions to speed up boss fights on the AW Path of Ascension servers. If I remember correctly, I ended up dual-wielding kamas or some stupid poo poo had like 8 implosions per rest, which gave me a pretty good chances of one-shotting the bosses.

The multiclassing system in the game as implemented is really compelling, trying to balance saves, AC, AB, damage, feats etc is fun ...

Monks get additional attacks per round than other classes using unarmed/kamas which means if you mix them with a Cleric you get Monk APR with crazy buffs, nice feats as well as the bonus to wisdom from AC.

There's a completely insane build that mixes the Dragon shape that you get from being a Druid with Cleric buffs and the Monk AC Bonus. You can get an AC of around 80 (making you unhittable) and AB in the high 70/80s depending on magic level of the server.

Atm I'm doing a more or less pure Paladin with the Aielund Saga. It uses a mod that makes Paladins a more faithful version of the PNP version which means much nicer buffs and holy avenger gives you +1 spell resistance per Paladin level and dispels at your Paladin level. Mages are getting absolutely poo poo on :getin:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Suspicious posted:

A better question is why didn't you boot Vhailor or Ignus instead of Morte?

Because I don't have Vhailor and Ignus is more useful than Morte until I can get him an upgrade to his base weapon since all he can do is hit for 1-3 damage and do his taunts a few times right now.
Ignus is a pretty boring character though.

So wait, just so I have this clear. You go into the Maze with 6, you get Nordom, but then you can't ever reset the maze again despite needing to reset the maze to beat the Modron Wizard?

This GAAAAAAME!

Edit: Oh wait, I just can boot somebody, go back into the maze, pick up Morty, then drop off Morty somewhere I can get him again.

Double Edit: I didn't know about the Fixpack/content restoration mods when I started. Is it worth starting over to use them? Now that I mostly know what to do not much in the count to this point counts as drudgery (except getting Nordom)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 21, 2017

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

ChrisBTY posted:

Because I don't have Vhailor and Ignus is more useful than Morte until I can get him an upgrade to his base weapon since all he can do is hit for 1-3 damage and do his taunts a few times right now.
Ignus is a pretty boring character though.

So wait, just so I have this clear. You go into the Maze with 6, you get Nordom, but then you can't ever reset the maze again despite needing to reset the maze to beat the Modron Wizard?

This GAAAAAAME!

Edit: Oh wait, I just can boot somebody, go back into the maze, pick up Morty, then drop off Morty somewhere I can get him again.

Double Edit: I didn't know about the Fixpack/content restoration mods when I started. Is it worth starting over to use them? Now that I mostly know what to do not much in the count to this point counts as drudgery (except getting Nordom)

You don't have to reset the maze to fight the Wizard Construct. He's located somewhere in the Hard version of the maze, which is the same version that Nordom is in.

If you don't reset the maze, your character will stay where he is (as you discovered).

Keep Ignus if you need a dedicated mage, but whenever I played I found Morte to be a beast - he has a ton of passive bonuses that made him my hardiest fighter for most of the game, and his taunt is ridiculously good, basically eliminating some of the nastiest enemies (spellcasters) with barely a fight. Also, why do you need a dedicated Mage? Surely your Nameless One is a mage? :P

If you're playing the ORIGINAL PS:T, not the EE, then I found the Fixpack/Unfinished Business/Tweaks absolutely great (just avoid the 'Morte Restored Mortuary moments', it's bad and doesn't fit the flow of the start of the game at all). However, it's a pain to have to start over, and I don't think it's VITAL. I've finished it before without them.
The EE doesn't really need the fixpack, and unfortunately there is no working Unfinsihed Business/Tweak Pack specifically for it yet (which is actually what's keeping me from installing it at present).

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 22, 2017

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ah Keldorn, you motherfucker. I remember when he decided it was a good idea to pick a fight with Viconia *in the Underdark*. Like, this is not the place for that, you buffoon

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't so much need a dedicated mage at the moment, but Morte seems really limited. His taunt and his damage resistance are all he has going for him. I wasn't able to upgrade his teeth at all yet (I've only seen one upgrade and I dont' have the coppers for it). But yeah, thinking of it if my TNO is a mage that gives my party 3 mages. I'm at the point where I going to fight Ravel and I decided to stick with Ignus because he can attack from outside her spell range and his ranged attack deals about as much damage as Morte's melee and he has spells to go with it.

I'm playing the original and I'm still vacillating on whether to start over. Because, and only because, of the Modron Maze. That place on it's hard more suuuuuuucks and it will suck even more if I can't get a lens to drop early.

DeathChicken posted:

Ah Keldorn, you motherfucker. I remember when he decided it was a good idea to pick a fight with Viconia *in the Underdark*. Like, this is not the place for that, you buffoon

Choosing Viconia or Keldorn is a decision I take into consideration while I'm rolling my character. They're awesome and I want both every time but yeah they will do this and they will do this at a bad time and it will suck.

If I do BG II again I'm rolling a Paladin, just to give you a hint of my personal preference.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 22, 2017

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Keldorn and Viconia fighting isn't inevitable, it's pretty random. I did several complete playthroughs with both and just reloaded my last save if they started fighting.

Unless the EE change this somehow.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I actually reloaded that several times trying to avoid the fight. Nope, he always went after her.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Does the PC's Charisma influence the chances of your party members fighting or is that just a myth I heard?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's a timer after one of their banters, I think.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Maybe that's it. Maybe I reloaded whenever they would banter to avoid the timer of doom.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't so much need a dedicated mage at the moment, but Morte seems really limited. His taunt and his damage resistance are all he has going for him. I wasn't able to upgrade his teeth at all yet (I've only seen one upgrade and I dont' have the coppers for it). But yeah, thinking of it if my TNO is a mage that gives my party 3 mages. I'm at the point where I going to fight Ravel and I decided to stick with Ignus because he can attack from outside her spell range and his ranged attack deals about as much damage as Morte's melee and he has spells to go with it.

I'm playing the original and I'm still vacillating on whether to start over. Because, and only because, of the Modron Maze. That place on it's hard more suuuuuuucks and it will suck even more if I can't get a lens to drop early.

To make Morte useful, find and be nice to Ingress. You'll find her running around the memorial in the Hive.

I love the game and personally think it's worth playing with the various mods and fixes but your tolerance for replaying may vary. My recommended mods to maximize the content of the game without making any major changes were as follows. Note that I'm a bit of an oldschool gamer and don't get put off by 640x480 graphics:

Framerate Fix - Yes (otherwise game is about 33% too fast) (if you've got the GOG version of PS:T, it sets the framerate to 40, when it should be 30. Just edit "Maximum Frame Rate =" in the Torment.ini file to fix this)

Gibberlings Widescreen Mod - No (unless you really can't stand low res graphics)

Ghostdogs UI Mod - No (unless you installed the Widescreen Mod)

Fixpack

Fixpack - Yes
Dialogue Spelling/Grammar Corrections - Yes
Subtitled Cutscenes - No (looks rubbish)

Unfinished Business

Install All Recommended Components - No (so you can select individually)
Expanded Deionarra's Truth Mod - Yes
Restored Cheat Items - No
Restored Able Ponder-Thought Research - Yes
Restored More Morte Mortuary Moments - No (dialogue is too long and clumsy, and has lots of redundancy with later dialogues)
Restored Candlestick Quest - Yes
Restored Deionarra's Truth Conversations - Yes
Restored Pendant of Yemeth Quest - Yes
Restored Elyce's Company - Yes
Restored Curst Citizens - Yes
Restored Curst Prisoners - Yes
Restored Carl Parfidor - Yes
Restored Mrote-Ingress's Teeth Banter - Yes
Restored Alley of Dangerous Angles Thugs - Yes
Restored Items - Yes
Restored Party Comments and Banters - Yes
Restored Mebbeth - Yes
Restored Lower Ward Encounters - Yes
Restored Bestiary Entries - Yes

Tweaks

Banter Accellerator - Yes, 30 mins
Dustmen Robes Area Restriction Removal - Yes
BG2-Style Thac0 display - Yes
Stackable Rings, Charms, Bracelets, Scrolls - No (can potentially change game balance)
Explore City Areas - No (removes some of the mystery from the game)
Scale of Souls - No ('cheat' item)
Save Nordom! - Yes
Disabled Stat Minimums - Yes (opens some new info dialogues and doesn't have to be used)
Maximized HP Per Level for TNO and Party - No (changes balance of game if wanting to play 'fair')
Maximized Friends Spell - No (changes balance of game if wanting to play 'fair')
No Battle Music - No (less music in game)
Use Floating Text Font Globally - No (no need)
Idenitfy All Items - No (makes game easier, removes Lore usefulness)
Early Glabrezus Tweak - No (makes game easier in a way)
Power Action Leprechaun Annah - No (looks dumb)
Easter Egg Morte - No (looks dumb)
Quick Load (Experimental) - No (could screw up)
Rest Anywhere - No (makes game easier)
Tome of Cheats - No (makes game trivial)

Those are just my personal recommendations though, go with what you like.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I thought NPCs put that poo poo on hold until you escaped? Or is it just reminders/complaints about time-sensitive quests that go on hold until you get out? Maybe I'm used to a mod that does both idk

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Korgan has no problem with starting fights in the Underdark.

I also vaguely remember Aerie having a baby around Ust Natha? Awkward.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Soul Reaver posted:

To make Morte useful, find and be nice to Ingress. You'll find her running around the memorial in the Hive.

I love the game and personally think it's worth playing with the various mods and fixes but your tolerance for replaying may vary. My recommended mods to maximize the content of the game without making any major changes were as follows. Note that I'm a bit of an oldschool gamer and don't get put off by 640x480 graphics:

Those are just my personal recommendations though, go with what you like.

I installed the stuff and started over. I turned on 'rest anywhere' because of the 3-4 dungeons in the game to the point I got to, 2 of them don't even allow you to backtrack out of them so if you run out of raise dead, you're effed. That's killed 2 of my runs now and I'm not letting it claim a 3rd.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

I also vaguely remember Aerie having a baby around Ust Natha? Awkward.

That shouldn't be happening until Throne of Bhaal, unless there's a mod to speed that up.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Can someone help me out please? I was riiiiiight at the end of the main game of Baldur's Gate 2 (before ToB) and had to change hard drives. I backed up my saves, reinstalled the game (via Beamdog client) and thought I copied the saves to the right place but they're not showing up.

What is the default location you guys have for BG2 saves so I can pick this up again?

Thanks

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

What is the default location you guys have for BG2 saves so I can pick this up again?

my amazon cloud linked backup folder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Where can you set this for the individual games?

I have it in Dropbox doing the same thing but I can't 'see' any old saved games when in-game.