Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A 15-year-old former private schoolboy accused of raping an intoxicated teenage girl at a party has been allowed to travel overseas at taxpayer expense to visit his parents in the school holidays.

The youth, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, is charged with aggravated sexual assault on the girl at Bellevue Hill on March 4.

Another 15-year-old is charged with making and distributing footage of the attack.

Teachers at Cranbrook reportedly called police after learning mobile phone footage of the attack had been shared among dozens of teenagers via a private Facebook messenger group.

Court documents revealed that the girl had no idea she had been assaulted.

"The victim was intoxicated by alcohol and was not aware of the offence until she was informed by other people by text message the following day," police allege.

On Thursday Bidura Children's Court heard the boy's father has a high-ranking position with an Australian government department and is posted overseas. That country does not have a bilateral extradition treaty with Australia.

The court also heard the father's employer "heavily subsidised" the youth's tuition and boarding fees at Cranbrook.

And the government would cover the airfares for the youth to fly to his parents' country of residence for a visit under "reunion" provisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/BriggsGE/status/865753413472010240

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lid posted:

A 15-year-old former private schoolboy accused of raping an intoxicated teenage girl at a party has been allowed to travel overseas at taxpayer expense to visit his parents in the school holidays.

The youth, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, is charged with aggravated sexual assault on the girl at Bellevue Hill on March 4.

Another 15-year-old is charged with making and distributing footage of the attack.

Teachers at Cranbrook reportedly called police after learning mobile phone footage of the attack had been shared among dozens of teenagers via a private Facebook messenger group.

Court documents revealed that the girl had no idea she had been assaulted.

"The victim was intoxicated by alcohol and was not aware of the offence until she was informed by other people by text message the following day," police allege.

On Thursday Bidura Children's Court heard the boy's father has a high-ranking position with an Australian government department and is posted overseas. That country does not have a bilateral extradition treaty with Australia.

The court also heard the father's employer "heavily subsidised" the youth's tuition and boarding fees at Cranbrook.

And the government would cover the airfares for the youth to fly to his parents' country of residence for a visit under "reunion" provisions.

Burn this loving system to the ground.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/864773871106367488

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bogan King posted:

)))dogfucker(((

What's the hate symbol?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Kurtofan posted:

What's the hate symbol?

They're being sarcastic and referring to the crosses on top of the dome-thingies.

I wonder what Kenny's doing quoting an alt-righter? Makes u think.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
=

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Someone make me an avatar of debt bot killing boomers pls

Do it yourself, leaner

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Anidav posted:

Someone make me an avatar of debt bot killing boomers pls

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

:downsbravo:

YEW TELL EM M8

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

toiletgraph posted:

Men dressed as Chopper Read and Reg Regan win court battle against ‘fun police’

IT was a very Australian national celebration: two blokes dressed up as footy boofhead Reg Regan and stand over man Chopper Read, riding pushbikes between houses during a “fridge to fridge” drinking party on Australia Day.

But a pair of police officers driving past didn’t see the fun in it and ended up arresting the two men.

They later claimed in court they suspected Chopper was going to commit an armed robbery with the weapon he was carrying — a toy plastic rifle.

What followed was a court case that stretched for more than a year and ended last week with the police found to have lied about why they arrested the two men on the footpath outside ­Berowra train station on January 26, 2016.

The pair told their story so long as they were not identified.

According to court documents, Chopper and Reg were riding BMX pushbikes on the footpath from one house to another at 4pm during the “Australian icon” themed celebration to drink more alcohol, when the police approached them.

Chopper, who was drunk, became angry and started filming the police on his phone, asking them why they’d been stopped.

The police charged Chopper with intimidating police, resisting police, offensive behaviour and driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol.

He was facing a maximum penalty of five years jail. Reg was never charged

But Hornsby Local Court heard the police variously gave contradictory versions of why the men were approached and arrested, with Chopper’s phone video used to expose the lies.

Magistrate Reis said: “There is a distinct impression that the reasons put forward in the police notebook, fact sheet, statements and much of their evidence in court is due to a post arrest ­attempt to justify the arrest.”

The charges were withdrawn except for one of riding a pushbike while drunk, to which ­Chopper pleaded guilty.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Literal fun police.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The article fails to do due diligence as it doesn't mention if helmets were being worn or not.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

I hate that accent that's neither British nor 'strayan.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Rowan Dean has one of the most punchable faces in the country.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Wheezle posted:

He's not even the most punchable in that frame. High bar though.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Wheezle posted:

There is a lot of strong competition though.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

A senior Turnbull minister has blasted Catholic schools for running a dishonest campaign against the federal government’s new school funding plans.

Christopher Pyne, who used to be the education minister but now looks after defence industry, said he had not had a single email, phone call, letter or visit from a constituent complaining about how the government plans to change funding arrangements for Catholic schools.

“I am quite disappointed in the Catholic education system nationally for running a campaign, using their parents’ money, that is dishonest and is trying to keep in place a system which is not fair to all Australians,” he told Sky News on Sunday.

The opposition, Bill Shorten, has attacked the Gonski 2.0 funding policy, saying that not all parents who send their children to Catholic schools are wealthy and they should not be “punished” for their choice. The shadow treasurer, Chris Bowen, has referred to the funding model as a one-size-fits-all model that will have “significant ramifications for the 20% of Australian students educated in the Catholic system”.

Have the Liberal's done it? Have they found an actual wedge issue based on Labor's strong base in Catholicism? And it's why Albo said "we should support this budget as a win for Labor over neoliberalism"?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Rowan Dean just looks like Andrew Bolt on meth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's also a shot at the conservatives in the Coalition since many of them (eg Abbott, Joyce, Andrews, Cormann, and formerly Bernardi) are Catholics.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's also a shot at the conservatives in the Coalition since many of them (eg Abbott, Joyce, Andrews, Cormann, and formerly Bernardi) are Catholics.

It must be killing those guys to see that the one policy they've come up with that has some kind of popular support is the one that fucks their mates in the church over

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has given 7,500 asylum seekers living in Australia until October to lodge an application for protection, or face deportation, declaring the "game is up" for "fake refugees".

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Bogan King posted:

The article fails to do due diligence as it doesn't mention if helmets were being worn or not.
I thought five years maximum was a little light.

Anidav posted:

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has given 7,500 asylum seekers living in Australia until October to lodge an application for protection, or face deportation, declaring the "game is up" for "fake refugees".
You missed some of the more appalling parts.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-21/peter-dutton-october-deadline-asylum-seekers-protection/8544890

quote:

Peter Dutton declares 'game is up' for 'fake refugees' living in Australia By political reporter Jane Norman Updated 28 minutes ago

Key points:

Asylum seekers given until October 1 to lodge an application for processing
Otherwise they will be cut off from Government payments, subject to removal from Australia
7,500 asylum seekers costing taxpayers about $250 million each year, Mr Dutton says
Mr Dutton said the asylum seekers had all arrived by boat under the previous Labor government, most without identity documents, and had so far either failed or refused to present their case for asylum with the Immigration Department.

"If people think they can rip the Australian taxpayer off, if people think that they can con the Australian taxpayer, then I'm sorry, the game's up," he said. "They need to provide the information, they need to answer the questions and then they can be determined to be a refugee or not." The asylum seekers have now been given until October 1 to lodge an application for processing or they will be cut off from Government payments, subject to removal from Australia, and banned from re-entering the country. According to Mr Dutton, the group is costing taxpayers about $250 million each year in income support alone and the deadline would ensure the Government is "not providing financial support to people who have no right to be in Australia". South Australian Senator (And complete piece of poo poo) Nick Xenophon said the new policy would have public support, and appeal to the Coalition's support base, but urged the Government to take a "calm, methodical and fair" approach. "I only hope that the Government puts as much effort into dealing with job seekers as it does with asylum seekers," Senator Xenophon said on Insiders.

But refugee advocates have slammed the "arbitrary" deadline as "cruel and unfair".

GetUp's human rights director Shen Narayanasamy said while many of the asylum seekers had been in Australia for years, they were only given the go ahead to lodge an application for protection last November. "Asylum claims are incredibly long, torturous documents," she said. "And what Peter Dutton has failed to tell you is that he has denied them interpreters and access to legal assistance." Of the 50,000 asylum seekers who arrived by boat between 2008 and 2013, 43,000 have now been processed — which means they have either been granted a visa or had their claims rejected — or are currently having their claims assessed. However, there are 7,500 asylum seekers "outside the process" and that is the group now subject to the October 1 deadline.

Asylum seeker statistics

50,000 Illegal Maritime Arrivals arrived in Australia between 2008 and 2013
Labor processed 20,000 of these people
It stopped processing IMAs in August 2012 leaving 30,500 people yet to be processed — this is known as the Legacy Caseload
23,000 of the Legacy Caseload have applied for Temporary Protection Visas or Save Haven Visas
Of those 6,500 have been granted a TPV or SHEV
3,000 have already been found not to be refugees and must leave Australia
13,000 are having their claims assessed
Around 7,500 remain outside the process and have not presented their case for protection

I have been waiting for this particular spin to be applied. It is a pathetic attempt to wedge refugee advocates on the issue of cost. It is doomed to failure as even this but also has the "unintended" consequence of forcing a small group of desperate people into crime or the black economy. :bravo:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

$33,000 per refugee, per year? They must be getting some insanely good welfare benefits!

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Cartoon posted:

I have been waiting for this particular spin to be applied. It is a pathetic attempt to wedge refugee advocates on the issue of cost. It is doomed to failure as even this but also has the "unintended" consequence of forcing a small group of desperate people into crime or the black economy. :bravo:

Not only that, but the government spends billions on off-shore processing. If they're really so concerned about saving money, then they could do in-community processing and save a fortune. Hypocrites.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Tokamak posted:

$33,000 per refugee, per year? They must be getting some insanely good welfare benefits!

What, did you think all these dog whistles were cheap?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
IT CAAAAAAAAME FROM DOMAAAAAAAAIN

https://www.domain.com.au/news/why-young-sydneysiders-are-starting-businesses-rather-than-trying-to-buy-homes-20170520-gw8pso/

The national debate about millennials and their money may have been reduced to a brunch dish, but many young people are becoming more interested in how to grow wealth, rather than talking about how it’s spent.

Smashed avocado aside, without gifts or inheritance there are limited ways people can grow the wealth required to buy Sydney property in 2017. Interest rates are at historic lows and wage growth has flatlined.

Launching a business, although high risk, is one way money experts say it’s possible to turn a small amount of savings into something more substantial. A growing number of millennials have turned to entrepreneurship in a shaky job market, but against the backdrop of rocketing house prices, many see business and property as a fork in the financial road.

CAN'T INVEST IN HOUSES, BEST START A BUSINESS

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

That's a solid pivot there from Domain. Market about to drop out of houses so move into SMB pimping early and hard.

------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/RealMarkLatham/status/866155755975475200

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Imagine filtering all sources of enjoyment through the scope of "how can I try and make 'the left' look foolish in regards to this?"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Lid posted:

Launching a business, although high risk, is one way money experts say it’s possible to turn a small amount of savings into something more substantial. A growing number of millennials have turned to entrepreneurship in a shaky job market, but against the backdrop of rocketing house prices, many see business and property as a fork in the financial road.

CAN'T INVEST IN HOUSES, BEST START A BUSINESS

"Can't afford a housing deposit, better start a loving business" (Nobody et.al, ever)

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/mathaiaus/status/866210602171080704

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

"Can't afford a housing deposit, better start a loving business" (Nobody et.al, ever)

Selling salvaged junk from your stolen woolies shopping cart under a bridge.

Because you're sure not affording rent for a shopfront if you can't afford a loving home.

It's a nice pivot to attempt to remain in relevance but unless their business plans don't require a premises then forget it.

Maybe Domain over the next 12 months will be nothing more than a bunch of "how to start a food van business", trying to cash in on the lucrative TAFE chef course advertising dollars.

Or the "mandarin only edition" of Domain with the actual real estate listings. (apologies to any people with actual Chinese heritage, it's the baby boomers who are to blame but I only have bile instead of jokes for them)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 21, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:eyepop:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Looks like i'm going to Columbia.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
nothing wrong with prostitution imo, just another thing people want to punch down on

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Tom's just mad she was getting more than he is.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Someone must have complained? That tweet's gone and it just says to tune in for major revelations in the Sainsbury case now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Pictured: someone misunderstanding every single one of these platforms! Except communism. Yay workers.

• Locked thread