Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

no, if she wanted to do that she could easily have done it without freeing georgia power and murdering her way through faq's leadership corps. she's here to fetch jillian because she foresaw wanda would be in trouble in the MK and has some plan to deal with it involving jillian.

Jillian may not have accepted her offer to turn before seeing her murder Power. In fact I'd say it's overwhelmingly likely she wouldn't, given her general stance toward Decrypted.

It's also an issue of timing. Yeah she could have tried to turn earlier but that wasn't the right time to do it. Predictamancy v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

She might need no witnesses so they can discuss the Deal freely. Might be that Marie saw that openly colluding with Jillian would make Powers shoot them both and claim the city to start her own side.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Is the capitol now completely clear of people other than Jillian and Marie?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"Hardly any soldiers matter," indeed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
plates are wobbling everywhere it seems

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay I am officially done naively liking or trusting the motives of any character wrapped up in this Fate bullshit. Hoping Parson finds time to break the entire concept of Fate over his knee at some point in the process of ending war.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
What are the odds Charlie gets stuck with Wanda, Parson gets stuck with Jillian, and the two gently caress-ups make the Overlord and Warlord regret it?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zoe posted:

Okay I am officially done naively liking or trusting the motives of any character wrapped up in this Fate bullshit. Hoping Parson finds time to break the entire concept of Fate over his knee at some point in the process of ending war.

I really like the concept of Fate as Predictamancy constructs, personally

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rygar201 posted:

I really like the concept of Fate as Predictamancy constructs, personally

Some rear end in a top hat made an extremely detailed prediction about a billion turns ago and neglected to tell anyone about it, and this luck golem has been slaving away like Sisyphus ever since.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

isndl posted:

Some rear end in a top hat made an extremely detailed prediction about a billion turns ago and neglected to tell anyone about it, and this luck golem has been slaving away like Sisyphus ever since.

That rear end in a top hat was probably one or more of the Titans.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

White Coke posted:

That rear end in a top hat was probably one or more of the Titans.

Barbarian Predictamancers in the MK getting blackout drunk one night and one-upping each other with the most hilarious predictions they can think of. Then they pass out and nobody remembers a thing.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The Great Minds should've tapped a few Predictamancers to join their chorus and make some mega-Linked Predictions as safeguards against literally anything.

The second Parson figures out how Fate works, you can bet he'll abuse the poo poo out of it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don't think that is actually how Fate works. I think it's how Thinkamancers perceive it, but that's because it fits their narrative of a universe where G-strings are the be-all and end-all of reality-- a Unified Field Theory-- and thus any sufficiently powerful being is only powerful because it can manipulate those strings. Every discipline thinks it has all the answers. I think Erf is sufficiently gamelike that there may indeed be some higher intelligence controlling things, but whatever it is is more spiritual and less banal than simply a kind of invisible physics golem.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goddammit

i wanted jillian dead

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the quality of the story varies inversely with the amount of Jillian in it.

She is such, such a bad character, and the author's obvious fixation on her keeps in the spotlight far more than deserved.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It doesn't feel like she's in the spotlight too much, but that might be because the spotlight can't stay anywhere for more than a couple updates lately. Parson is nominally the protagonist and he's been more like a MacGuffin than anything else.

Anyway, I like that Marie's attempt to persuade Jillian starts by killing everyone else in the entire city. Pretty good opening argument.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Oh good, Jillian found another benefactor who just wants to make sure she remains relevant and in power after hitting the skids yet again. Heaven forbid she achieve anything on her own merit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
People on the forums are theorizing that the idea is that Wanda will align with Faq, getting her out from under the terms of the contract with Charlie and then she can croak the Archons.

EDIT: so does this mean the free casters are heading to Gobwin Knobs old portal? I take it Charlie and co. can get in and out no problem due to the splintered fragments. Now see, this feels like the end of the battle for Spacerock and GK.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Onmi posted:

People on the forums are theorizing that the idea is that Wanda will align with Faq, getting her out from under the terms of the contract with Charlie and then she can croak the Archons.
That's certainly what Marie is saying here.
But I wonder if you can just arbitrarily turn to a side that has no units near you. Or if some convoluted series of events will bring Wanda near a Faq unit?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

But I wonder if you can just arbitrarily turn to a side that has no units near you. Or if some convoluted series of events will bring Wanda near a Faq unit?

I mean, Wanda is right now discussing terms with Charlie. If her term is "I do not wish to be Chief Caster of Charlescomm, but Chief Caster of Faq" that would work. Even though Charlie's always insisted that he's not assisting Jillian.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Ditocoaf posted:

Parson, Claud and Ivan all turned to Charlescom without any units nearby, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. It might just be a case of communicating with the leader of a side, which can be performed with a thinkogram.

Edit - It just occurred to me that another reason that Marie killed all of those units was to help Faq survive into the next turn. If Wanda turns and decrypts the fallen soldiers, then they won't have upkeep that needs paying. Jillian will just need the cash to pay for Wanda, Albert, and the Giants (if they are still around).

DeadBonesBrook fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 20, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Just remembered that the Pliers are in Spacerock, so if Wanda turned now she'd have to steal them somehow.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Just remembered that the Pliers are in Spacerock, so if Wanda turned now she'd have to steal them somehow.

Well, they're likely with sizemore, if any decrypted turned, they'd be able to kill him and take them.

Though I guess... they need a caster to take them. So Ace Hardware? Are there other Decrypted Casters in GK?

I dunno, I can't see the turning happening because there are so many units who are Decrypted who like... would get dusted if they turned.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the problem with Jillian is that from her actions we see she is selfish, impulsive, stupid, and cruel. But from the way people treat her we are told she is kind, wise, noble and lovable. No fewer than four major characters are known to be in love with her (Ansom, Wanda, Jack, Marie). It's the biggest show/tell mismatch I've ever read and it's insanely jarring. That and for some reason she always, always avoids any consequences for her bad behavior while everyone around her bends over backwards to bail her out.

I normally hate this term but Jillian is almost the textbook definition of a Mary Sue, and not a particularly well written one at that. I keep waiting for the subversion, for the other shoe to drop, but it never does.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think anybody has ever implied that Jillian is wise or kind. Most of the people who have to deal with her find her incredibly irritating. Charlie seems to need her for some reason but it seems pretty obvious he's sick of her when his professionalism cracks. ("Not feeling it.")

What Jillian is is perfectly adapted to Erfworld's military setup. She's powerful, largely amoral, and doesn't really care about anything except the things she cares about personally, so she doesn't get entangled in disputes about Canon or whatever. She'd be Erfworld's apex predator if Erfworld didn't keep trying to top itself in that regard.

People do seem to fall in love with her a lot. I guess it's the muscles?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the problem with Jillian is that from her actions we see she is selfish, impulsive, stupid, and cruel. But from the way people treat her we are told she is kind, wise, noble and lovable. No fewer than four major characters are known to be in love with her (Ansom, Wanda, Jack, Marie). It's the biggest show/tell mismatch I've ever read and it's insanely jarring. That and for some reason she always, always avoids any consequences for her bad behavior while everyone around her bends over backwards to bail her out.

I normally hate this term but Jillian is almost the textbook definition of a Mary Sue, and not a particularly well written one at that. I keep waiting for the subversion, for the other shoe to drop, but it never does.

Yeeeaahhh, not really looking forward to more focus on Jillian. I can handle her in small doses but things are aligning now to making a whole whole lot of comic events center around her going forward.

If it was just that so many major characters were in love with her for no explicable reason, or just that there are never any lasting consequences to the way she treats people or anything she does, it wouldn't be so bad, but it's both of those things combined with the author being so infatuated with her.

Wanda and Jillian's relationship is so toxic and uncomfortable too. I kind of figured there was no way to avoid them getting back together at some point because Fate etc etc but I haven't been looking forward to it.

e: Never mind, if everyone's out to get Charlie they shouldn't be in conflict with Parson/GK. But, that then removes a lot of the challenge, with Charlie at his absolute weakest right now. And Parson gets shoved further to the sidelines.

...I think I'm going to stop speculating now and go drink some coffee.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 20, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think Jillian is meant to be "The Hero" in Erfworld the way that Gobwin Knob was the 'Villain' faction. She embodies traditional protagonist characteristics and traits, this manifests by making her incredibly annoying and infuriating.

EDIT: It's funny how Jillian's hatred of Stanley is born from her blaming him for murdering her father. When that is literally all Wanda's fault.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 20, 2017

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder if Jillian kills Marie that would be a huge severing of Fate.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Donkringel posted:

I wonder if Jillian kills Marie that would be a huge severing of Fate.

No, her predictions would still be out in the world, shaping events.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I find I enjoy this comic much more when it sticks to Parson's POV and focuses on his decision-making and trying to get by in Erfworld.

It just feels a lot tighter and more cohesive when it's Parson's story rather than the ongoing FAQ-fest that the entire setting seems to be boiling down to. Also, the magic system has eaten the main game entirely. Though I guess that does mean it feels true to life to what happens when min-maxers get going in an RPG - everything slows the hell down and none of the original game concepts seem to matter much.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

How much do you guys want to bet that the whole thing about only casters being able to get into the Magic Kingdom was just the Great Minds killing every non-caster who tried until people believed it?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

wiegieman posted:

How much do you guys want to bet that the whole thing about only casters being able to get into the Magic Kingdom was just the Great Minds killing every non-caster who tried until people believed it?

Except Charlie and the engineer dude think they hacked his portal to remove its restrictions. A bunch of stuff has been riding on the engineer being important because he knows how to do that. Do you think they just didn't actually do anything? This idea would also neutralize the whole thing with Jed being ridiculously hung up over Charlie modifying his portal.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 20, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Also people like Queen Bea would occasionally use their portal as a painless suicide device, so the Great Minds would have had to keep watch 24/7 for non-Caster visitors.

Also why wouldn't they have killed Charlie's archons when they went through their portal during the Battle of the MK? We even had an update from the linked Great Minds' perspective during the Battle in the MK, it would be difficult to justify why they wouldn't even mention such a practice.

I actually think it's a very cool idea, but it would clash with too many past updates.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

we watched bullets flying out of Charlie's portal and ping off the other ones so we know that there are very specific, laws-of-Erfworld rules about what can and can't pass through them.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Thinking about it more, I'm going to hold in my groan of despair at the thought of FAQ being our new main side, and just wait to see how things develop. Marie may very well not be being completely honest here, or things could happen even a Predictamancer can't foresee. There's too much going on at once right now to say for sure how any of it will play out.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I mean, if things do play out the way they seem do be, will we at least get a narrative focus shift back to Parson as he deals with the fallout?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

XkyRauh posted:

I mean, if things do play out the way they seem do be, will we at least get a narrative focus shift back to Parson as he deals with the fallout?

More than likely, this is a shift to put GK back on the backfoot. I mean this entire chapter has been turnabouts of each side getting the upperhand. It's why it's called the Hamster Dance vs the Charlie Foxtrot. Each side looks like they have the upperhand, then the other one turns it around on them. We went from thinking Parson had Charlie to Charlie holding all the cards. And more than likely, Parson will twist this around again somehow and seize the power.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Update.

The line that's really key here, I think, is "I want to make you miserable." She didn't intend to turn, she just wanted to pry at every single point of Charlie's pride, and probably demoralize the archons as well. Maybe getting Charlie to admit to considering all this in front of them is going to force a Loyalty check, and she's counting on a little nudge from Fate to make them fail it? A little out there, but probably the least contrived way for Fate to intervene right now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Update.

The line that's really key here, I think, is "I want to make you miserable." She didn't intend to turn, she just wanted to pry at every single point of Charlie's pride, and probably demoralize the archons as well. Maybe getting Charlie to admit to considering all this in front of them is going to force a Loyalty check, and she's counting on a little nudge from Fate to make them fail it? A little out there, but probably the least contrived way for Fate to intervene right now.

She's certainly doing something, it's just a wonder how Fate's going to play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My guess is on Marie and Jillian going down to the portal chamber and Marie kicking Jillian in at INSTANT ZERO just as deiform Isaac wanders into Portal Park and sticks his neck into the gobwin Knob portal, also at INSTANT ZERO while Roger goes through the Transylvito portal and cuts Parson's string at INSTANT ZERO and also the archons shoot and croak Wanda at INSTANT ZERO and deiform Isaac grabs all their whiplashing g-strings along with his own disaster of a g-bramble and squeezes them all together into a new being with all four characters in control of one physical body with all individuals functioning as co-rulers, causing Wanda to technically be in service to Jillian, allowing Wanda to appear out of the portal that the casters are all hustling to after her new physical form materializes half in and half out of the Gobwin Knob portal, allowing Parson to continue working to defeat Charlie and break the rules of Erfworld, and making the thing that comes into being after Wanda's death to be much worse than she ever was.

If you got a better idea, let's hear it.