Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Reminder that this game will have sexy hot netcode:

quote:

Famitsu: So how does Tekken 7 solve these problems?

Harada: For instance when the player hits the punch button or perform other actions, we put in a brief buffer period between the button press and when the punch move or action actually starts happening on-screen, as a measure to reduce the perception of lag.

Subsequently, if there is lag online, what the game can do in theory is to skip over certain frames or parts of the move's animation. In other words, in order to keep the amount of time elapsed -- between when the player hits a button and when the move actually hits -- consistent, the game makes adjustments to the move animations accordingly.

But that's not all. That's just one example. There's a bunch of other game system measures like this we've put in place.

By the way, for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Tekken 7 we've actually put in place pretty much the exact same system measures to reduce the perception of lag. So in terms of response times [between when a player hits a button and the move taking place on-screen], nothing has been changed from TTT2 to Tekken 7.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015...ques-explained/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I hope goofy poo poo like that happens often because that is hilarious.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
even if its exactly the same as tag 2's netcode it'd still be very, very good

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
as pretty casual tekken player something I've never really understood is why the movelists of each character are full of canned strings that don't fully combo even on counterhit and don't have some kind of built in mixup

are these just scrub traps to look cool and not something pro players ever consider, or is there some arcane use for this stuff that my scrub eyes can't comprehend?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
variety is the spice of life

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Can't wait to play new and improved edgemaster Bryan also Miguel.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

darealkooky posted:

as pretty casual tekken player something I've never really understood is why the movelists of each character are full of canned strings that don't fully combo even on counterhit and don't have some kind of built in mixup

are these just scrub traps to look cool and not something pro players ever consider, or is there some arcane use for this stuff that my scrub eyes can't comprehend?

some stuff is useful as a frame trap, some stuff is combo filler, some stuff is just there to look cool, so i guess it depends on what move youre referring to

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

Juggles, walls, or they look cool.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Re: tekken 7 netcode: adding input lag is technically what SFV claimed to do. However it will work for T7 because:

(a) T7 appears to add the lag intentionally; (b) Tekken move startups are generally slower than SF, which means that under input lag, players can still react in time; (c) T7 will have network lag eat up the input lag first, which means that if network lag is less than input lag, there will be no technical difference in feel; (d) no garbage asymmetrical rollback system (did TTT do rollback or input delay?)

Is this reasoning correct?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
It's delay based, otherwise yes.

Your move comes out slower because they normalize the input delay so that no matter what, there's always built in input lag. Online, when there's network latency, they have the built in input lag mask some of the network delay, so unless the connection is really poor, it'll feel pretty close to offline because you're already used to input delay.

This works well because i10 is the slowest move so it's a lot easier to hide compared to a 3f jab. Also SF5 hosed up the netcode so that it's additive to the input delay because lol capcom. Either that or it's intentional because ????

Also rollback for 3D games is pretty tough and I've never seen a really good implementation.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

darealkooky posted:

Your question has mostly been answered but if I can offer some more detail, a lot of those types of things are strings meant for use in juggles or to pick up a combo from specific knockdowns (it's a good idea to know which string you need to use to "scrape" an opponent off the ground for weird collapsing knockdowns and such). As has been discussed earlier in the thread, sometimes the strings are meant only to combo in specific situations such as hitting the opponent when they're backturned, or after they splat on a wall.

As I go through a char's movelist in a 3d game I tend to categorize everything as combo starter, combo filler, combo ender, or pokes. Sometimes strings count as pokes (anything with multiple mids that's safe on block, and stuff with built in canned mix-ups comes to mind). It's usually pretty obvious when a move doesn't really fit into one of those categories and is hence a hella specific edge case thing (like 95% of unblockables in the game). At the end of the day you can boil down even a gigantic movelist like King's to 10 - 12 moves you should be using during neutral, and everything else is a follow up after that in some fashion.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

darealkooky posted:

A lot of those are combo filler, some are plus on block.

And some are just bad

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

This works well because i10 is the slowest move so it's a lot easier to hide compared to a 3f jab. Also SF5 hosed up the netcode so that it's additive to the input delay because lol capcom. Either that or it's intentional because ????

Definitely lol capcom, they add extra fixed delay online to mask rollback.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I'm one of those guys who always enjoyed Tekken in my friend circle, but never played online.

How hardware intensive do you recon this game will be? I have a 970 mx.

I don't really feel like buying a new controller just for this game. Will the Switch pro controller do the trick?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I'm one of those guys who always enjoyed Tekken in my friend circle, but never played online.

I don't really feel like buying a new controller just for this game. Will the Switch pro controller do the trick?

The arcade version runs on a fairly cheap PC from around 3 years ago, hopefully you should be fine. I don't know how much of a step down the mx is from a regular 970 though.

The PC version supports dinput so you should be able to use whatever you want. All that matters with your controller choice is that you are able to use it comfortably and accurately.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

You should be fine. Controller requirements for Tekken are basically "has a d-pad that's better than the 360 controller; has 4 face buttons."

T7 is on the Unreal Engine, so it'll hopefully be pretty well optimized in terms of performance.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I wasn't really interested in this game because I'm not really a fan of how the series went heavy into juggling but after seeing that there's a unique skin for King that gives him the loving RAINMAKER as a finisher, I gotta throw this on my steam wishlist.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Greetings, friend.

http://i.imgur.com/0zsNirB.gifv

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

I just realized they even do the camera zoom out as well. :allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I need that
(I knock em down)

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Game looks good. This will be my first Tekken game and my first 3d fighter since Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast; but I'll trust the developers here well enough to have a detailed tutorial and working story mode.

Incidentally, I wonder when the early copies will start being sold by the small shops.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love Feng and have been practicing with him in TTT2 the last days (turns out I had TTT2 on my WiiU even though I've never played it), does he get any noticeable changes to how he plays in T7?

Also, since I'm a complete beginner... anyone got any good, easy tips for him? :shobon:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I'm assuming it's fairly rare to see Really Good Yoshimitsu play so I thought I should share some vids that GreenTekken's been uploading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2IJGAMF4l0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gttlRJdMGSs

If you're not familiar, LowHigh is a pretty strong player that is basically gettin styled upon by this Yoshi, dude's p good.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Here is a more official beginners guide that Namco put together for the game: http://tk7.tekken.com/guides

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Get them drivers ready boizzzz :flashfap:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Is this game good for 2 people to just play each other casually? I'm thinking of buying this but I don't know if I want to get good at Tekken and play online yet. So whether I get it depends on how good it is to just play my brother like we used to in Tekken 3 as kids. If we ever feel the need to go into training mode or get bored of the poo poo we can do without going to training mode then that's a problem because he won't train.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Eddie Gordo is in T7, so yes.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
if youg liked playing tekken 3, just grab it and mash on some buttons with the coolest looking character or pick paul and deathfist for days

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Deathfist For Days was also the most painless way to drop Azazel's annoying rear end

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Your Computer posted:

I love Feng and have been practicing with him in TTT2 the last days (turns out I had TTT2 on my WiiU even though I've never played it), does he get any noticeable changes to how he plays in T7?

Also, since I'm a complete beginner... anyone got any good, easy tips for him? :shobon:

Lei didn't make it in the base roster, so I'm giving Feng a try. From what I've learned, he keeps a lot of good pokes that he has from past games, but his combos are different due to the universal changes in Tekken 7, such as the new tail spin/screw attack stuff.

ATP has an old article that tries to translate "Nobi's Beginner's Guide" video for the characters, including Feng. It seems worth a watch even if you don't understand the language, and it shows a bit of what you'll be aiming for when devising up a viable combo. Unfortunately I haven't come across a very detailed or complete video on how to handle Feng, but I'm fairly sure such character videos will emerge once the world gets their hands on the game. It's also worth watching some matches with Feng players going at it to see what gets used. TakTak's (now BattleFinger) channel is good for such things.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Your Computer posted:

He's pretty similar, he got a great new move in f+1+2 thats a homing mid with great range and gets use in combos as well.

He's viable at all range, has some great lows and pokes in general, although his hopkick is kinda stubby, so he's not always the best at whiff punishment.

I'd link to some useful guides but TZ is down right now, though if you want something to watch Aris from avoiding the puddle did a great youtube series on the character thats super in depth.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lothire posted:

Lei didn't make it in the base roster, so I'm giving Feng a try. From what I've learned, he keeps a lot of good pokes that he has from past games, but his combos are different due to the universal changes in Tekken 7, such as the new tail spin/screw attack stuff.

ATP has an old article that tries to translate "Nobi's Beginner's Guide" video for the characters, including Feng. It seems worth a watch even if you don't understand the language, and it shows a bit of what you'll be aiming for when devising up a viable combo. Unfortunately I haven't come across a very detailed or complete video on how to handle Feng, but I'm fairly sure such character videos will emerge once the world gets their hands on the game. It's also worth watching some matches with Feng players going at it to see what gets used. TakTak's (now BattleFinger) channel is good for such things.
Thanks for the links! I've tried looking at some match videos but it can be a bit hard to follow when it's pro stuff and everyone's moving at lightspeed, but I'll check out that channel! Like you say, it's still useful to see what gets used (even though in Feng's case that seems to be "almost every move"). I'm looking forward to character guides and such, and it sounds like Namco wants to make Tekken 7 a little more beginner friendly? I heard they're sponsoring guides and stuff, which is great news for me! It's currently very hard to find resources and guides aimed for complete beginners, so hopefully some of those guides will help.

Spuckuk posted:

He's pretty similar, he got a great new move in f+1+2 thats a homing mid with great range and gets use in combos as well.

He's viable at all range, has some great lows and pokes in general, although his hopkick is kinda stubby, so he's not always the best at whiff punishment.

I'd link to some useful guides but TZ is down right now, though if you want something to watch Aris from avoiding the puddle did a great youtube series on the character thats super in depth.
Thanks! Looking at the new move, that seems really useful. I like a lot of Feng's moves, but like you say the hopkick is... kinda hard to use? I still have no idea what I'm supposed to do if someone whiffs and they're out of range of the hopkick, since he doesn't seem to have a lot of good mid-long range punishers (but maybe I'm not looking hard enough).

I've watched the Avoiding the Puddle videos, but they're pretty hard to digest for a complete beginner. It's almost 4 hours long! In the part about "key moves" he goes through literally the entire movelist, so it's also hard to pick up which moves I should try to focus on to begin with.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
B+1+2 is one of the best punishes in the game for that, long range and good damage at like i13. He doesn't really get launch punishes without whiffs or close range

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ixiggle posted:

B+1+2 is one of the best punishes in the game for that, long range and good damage at like i13. He doesn't really get launch punishes without whiffs or close range

F+3, 4 is a really good whiff punishing launcher as well

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I've watched the Avoiding the Puddle videos, but they're pretty hard to digest for a complete beginner. It's almost 4 hours long! In the part about "key moves" he goes through literally the entire movelist, so it's also hard to pick up which moves I should try to focus on to begin with.

You may want to check out this video if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJ8PJXoaM

It's practically a direct answer to the issue you're having.

Knowing which moves to focus on can come from a variety of places (internet discussions, match videos, frame data numbers, experimenting in training mode, etc.) but the information is out there you just have to ask.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 23, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BattleHamster posted:

You may want to check out this video if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJ8PJXoaM

It's practically a direct answer to the issue you're having.

Knowing which moves focus on can come from a variety of places (internet discussions, match videos, frame data numbers, experimenting in training mode, etc.) but the information is out there you just have to ask.

You're totally right, that was a good video. A lot of the guides and stuff I've found (even aimed at beginners) just lists glossaries, frame data and movelists, like he mentions in that video. Makes it hard to get started, and I think Tekken already has a steep learning curve. The rest of the "Basics of Tekken" videos look pretty good too, and basically what I've been looking for so thanks! I guess the OP wasn't wrong about his videos being helpful :v:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
That's good information but I never knew that he sounds like daxflame.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
There's also the T7 top 15 moves google doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14QszwNxYv5VpTq2BY9jAN972SeZRbbw-oqj2dONWINI/edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

You're totally right, that was a good video. A lot of the guides and stuff I've found (even aimed at beginners) just lists glossaries, frame data and movelists, like he mentions in that video. Makes it hard to get started, and I think Tekken already has a steep learning curve. The rest of the "Basics of Tekken" videos look pretty good too, and basically what I've been looking for so thanks! I guess the OP wasn't wrong about his videos being helpful :v:

Yeah, I'll admit for my part that it's really hard to just teach people how neutral is supposed to work (really in any fighting game, not just Tekken). If I try to translate what I'm doing during neutral, it's a lot of jockeying for position (making sure that their back is to a wall instead of mine, moving in and out of poke range to see if anything gets baited out), mixed with throwing out pokes of my own or trying to read when they're going to try something so I can get a counterhit or block it. If it's against someone who's less likely to know how to escape pressure, I can focus less on movement and whiff baiting and more on constant mixups. That means using quick mid pokes to keep them stand blocking so I can sneak in free low hits or throw attempts, or tying them up in strings that give me good high/low options and that they won't know how to get out of.

The neutral game shifts a lot as the skill level of both players goes up, which is why people say it seems like people only use a few moves at high level; they have to play a lot safer if they think the other guy knows how to sidestep certain strings or will otherwise blow up their pressure, and it becomes much more about movement and whiff punishment instead of mixup pressure.