Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Flash Gordon was technically a terrorist and Corbyn supports terrorism

Really makes you think

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/865533998902108160

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Please stop replying to Pissflaps.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's more eyecatching due to being inaccurate.

It's entirely accurate.

TACD posted:

Please stop replying to Pissflaps.

Somebody give this guy some attention.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've never notified "The Week" before but I love its front page about the Cult of May (almost as much as I love autocorrect adding an apostrophe whenever I write "its" correctly. It also just tried to change "write" to "wrote" JFC)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pissflaps posted:

Yes it's specifically a sample of wavering labour voters - the opinion of which will be crucial on June 8th.

How could the headline be written to not be 'misleading', in your eyes?

It's a fantastic example of presenting information in a way that pushes a specific narrative. Lets have an example. Say, I wanted to push a poll that suggested that we should deport Pissflaps, specifically to a place with no internet access. Now, the general population is not going to have much of an opinion on this, obviously (I would hope and imagine not one in one million hold this opinion) which both plays against my narrative, but also to borrow my favorite law term, even an idiot in a hurry would question if that's a useful sample or result.

So, instead of picking at random, I ask people who know Pissflaps. Except that's not actually a useful sample for my narrative either because I imagine you being a decent human being in your everyday activities would mean that if we had a representative sample of people who know you, the pro-exile camp is going to be dwarfed by people who would absolutely vouch for you (as would nearly almost everyone). So instead, I am careful in how I select "people who know Pissflaps." Say, I open a poll in this thread. This is going to select for people who have the most likelihood of holding that extreme position, and, once I've done that I can rephrase the results and highlight the elements that most support my narrative.

Like that old Texan sharpshooter who empties a clip at a barn at random and then draws his target where his shots happened to hit, I might be able to say "of the people who know Pissflaps 7/10 would like him exiled to Sealand. This sample was selected from primarily from a demographic of 18-40s, mostly university educated men who classify themselves as politically engaged" and that's true, but at the same time, I could also say "primarily from a demographic who are more likely to own a poster of an animated comedy show, eat nachos as a meal more then once a week on average and have been affiliated with more then five political parties in their lifetimes" because I suspect that might be true as well.

It's the reason you get the Sun polls that prove 90% of the population supports grinding foreigners into a fine gruel which would replace Jobseekers Allowance.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Double post, I finally understand

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 20, 2017

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

CoolCab posted:

It's a fantastic example of presenting information in a way that pushes a specific narrative. Lets have an example. Say, I wanted to push a poll that suggested that we should deport Pissflaps, specifically to a place with no internet access. Now, the general population is not going to have much of an opinion on this, obviously (I would hope and imagine not one in one million hold this opinion) which both plays against my narrative, but also to borrow my favorite law term, even an idiot in a hurry would question if that's a useful sample or result.

So, instead of picking at random, I ask people who know Pissflaps. Except that's not actually a useful sample for my narrative either because I imagine you being a decent human being in your everyday activities would mean that if we had a representative sample of people who know you, the pro-exile camp is going to be dwarfed by people who would absolutely vouch for you (as would nearly almost everyone). So instead, I am careful in how I select "people who know Pissflaps." Say, I open a poll in this thread. This is going to select for people who have the most likelihood of holding that extreme position, and, once I've done that I can rephrase the results and highlight the elements that most support my narrative.

Like that old Texan sharpshooter who empties a clip at a barn at random and then draws his target where his shots happened to hit, I might be able to say "of the people who know Pissflaps 7/10 would like him exiled to Sealand. This sample was selected from primarily from a demographic of 18-40s, mostly university educated men who classify themselves as politically engaged" and that's true, but at the same time, I could also say "primarily from a demographic who are more likely to own a poster of an animated comedy show, eat nachos as a meal more then once a week on average and have been affiliated with more then five political parties in their lifetimes" because I suspect that might be true as well.

It's the reason you get the Sun polls that prove 90% of the population supports grinding foreigners into a fine gruel which would replace Jobseekers Allowance.

Can I get a tldrpls, all I can figure out from that post is that pissflaps sucks and I already knew that

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Marmaduke! posted:

Can I get a tldrpls, all I can figure out from that post is that pissflaps sucks and I already knew that

Cherry picking your sample picks your result.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I'm one of the 3% who want a private sector army lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

If you want to write an article to push a specific narrative, doing a survey of a group of people more likely to agree with you then presenting it as a more general sample is a good way to do it.

E.g. people in this thread are more likely to hold the view of cutting off flaps internet access than the SA population , or the general population. So doing a survey of this thread and disguising us as our demographic group is a way to push that agenda.

gently caress pissflaps

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Namtab posted:

gently caress pissflaps

lewd

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

CoolCab posted:

Cherry picking your sample picks your result.

Never mind all that where do we vote!?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

It's a fun little breakdown of % of libertarians, minarchists, social democrats and communists in a vague way.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

July's thread poll as I suspect June will be voting intention poll with comedy pissflaps option

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Namtab posted:

July's thread poll as I suspect June will be voting intention poll with comedy pissflaps option

Do you approve of voting in this poll?

Yes
No
Pissflaps

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

namesake posted:

Do you approve of voting in this poll?

Yes
No
Pissflaps

goku :xd:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I get to act like the Right Wing press and change the results to whatever I want too. Polls are great

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Have the lovely skewed graphs started appearing in anyone else's letterboxes yet?

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

who are the people who want to privatise the BBC? why?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

and i must meme posted:

You must not read the Daily Mail much. There's been a crusade to privatise the wasteful BBC for decades

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

and i must meme posted:

A lot of the 'kipper types who think the BBC is a left wing conspiracy.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
In other news, apparently regulations are killing vaping in the UK. I'm sure the decision was not influenced by the big tobacco firms in any way

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

It's interesting that less people want a state military than want a state police force. I guess most people can see that private police would turn into protection rackets and Sercory, but maybe those extra 'don't knows' don't want to see a standing army during peacetime and think mercenaries might be the best way to achieve that (it isn't).

It's also interesting that internet/telephone providers is so low compared to other utilities that used to be nationalized like water/gas/electricity. Maybe people don't trust the government not to gently caress around with the internet, but looks like they're planning to do that anyway.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

In other news, apparently regulations are killing vaping in the UK. I'm sure the decision was not influenced by the big tobacco firms in any way

What sort of regulations?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

and i must meme posted:

Surprisingly high. TBH I can't see the point in renationalising the Royal Mail, though maybe it would ensure people living in really remote bits of the UK continue to get deliveries? Otherwise seems like an obsolescent service.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Lord of the Llamas posted:

A lot of the 'kipper types who think the BBC is a left wing conspiracy.

there was a doctor who episode the other day where the doctor destroyed capitalism, maybe they're on to something

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I thought it was private cos we pay the licence fee

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Pissflaps posted:

What sort of regulations?
Limits of strength (nicotine content) - I can understand (although do not agree with) the health argument for that. But, more arbitrarily - there are also limits on the size of the liquid bit and the size you can sell refill bottles in.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/20/vaping-new-laws-stifle-success-curbing-smoking

Although the health effects of vaping are still not entirely understood, I think it's pretty much undeniable that it's better than smoking, and I think have done great things for getting people off cigarettes.

and i must meme posted:

licence fees

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Ewan posted:

Limits of strength (nicotine content) - I can understand (although do not agree with) the health argument for that. But, more arbitrarily - there are also limits on the size of the liquid bit and the size you can sell refill bottles in.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/20/vaping-new-laws-stifle-success-curbing-smoking

Although the health effects of vaping are still not entirely understood, I think it's pretty much undeniable that it's better than smoking, and I think have done great things for getting people off cigarettes.

e-cigs helped me quit, though barely getting any change from a tenner when buying a pack of 20 B&H was the main deciding factor. I've now kicked the vaping off because most of the e-cigs are used were rubbish with poo poo life batteries and leaking cartridges

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Ewan posted:

licence fees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkYUaHOwYqc

A bunch of hired thugs the TV Licensing people are

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

and i must meme posted:

there was a doctor who episode the other day where the doctor destroyed capitalism, maybe they're on to something

Yeah, but there was also one recently where the lesson was that refugees are terrorists and should just shut up and take what they're given

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, but there was also one recently where the lesson was that refugees are terrorists and should just shut up and take what they're given

the bbc are nazbols

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

and i must meme posted:

I do, because I don't watch television and the licensing man keeps turning up trying to catch me out. They can gently caress off if they think I'm paying money to them for a service I don't use just because I own internet devices capable of running it.

Privatise it and make it a subscription service just like every other for profit organisatio, or be honest or call it the tax that it is.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkYUaHOwYqc

A bunch of hired thugs the TV Licensing people are
They sometimes act beyond their powers but gently caress me those people filming on that Youtube channel are all a load of twats (many of whom are not paying the licence fee). They're like the sov cits you get in the US.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

learnincurve posted:

I do, because I don't watch television and the licensing man keeps turning up trying to catch me out. They can gently caress off if they think I'm paying money to them for a service I don't use just because I own internet devices capable of running it.

Privatise it and make it a subscription service just like every other for profit organisatio, or be honest or call it the tax that it is.

Scrapping the license fee and running the state broadcasting service out of normal tax income seems fine. Have to admit I've only given it about twenty seconds thought though.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

big scary monsters posted:

Scrapping the license fee and running the state broadcasting service out of normal tax income seems fine. Have to admit I've only given it about twenty seconds thought though.
The idea of the licence fee was to prevent the BBC's funding from being dependent on the whims of the government of the day.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jose posted:

i got the deposit for my flat from my great aunt who was in care and completely gone from dementia and totally healthy otherwise and expected all the money to go to her care. Then I visited her for the first time in the care home and she dropped down dead suddenly a week later

this is not suspicious at all!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The whole of pistonheads news forum hate the BBC because they truly believe they're extremely left wing biased haha and I'd consider them a pretty decent sample of middle aged blokes. Like the mumsnet of men. People in this country are just tossers I think.

• Locked thread