Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

My boss sent me a friend request on Facebook. Lmbooooooooooooooooo NOPE.

once I had a potential coworker at an interview send me a fb request

his profile was like all obummer 2nd amendment poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I'd rather just not have been told a concrete timeline than to have one and watch the days creep by without contact worrying over how soon is too soon to reach out / the usual imposter syndrome concerns.

I really need to leave before I'm in a bad way next time around though.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I had a phone interview on april 4th that ended with the interviewer (my 3rd phone screen, allegedly the last one before a panel interview) telling me that he was going to move me forward in the process. Since then i have heard nothing, and emails to the recruiter and the guy who asked that I email him some links to previous work of mine have gone unanswered. I even pinged friends who work there and they're like "huh that's weird, I don't know."

so it's been 6 weeks since last contact.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

DuckConference posted:

google waited a week and then called me to let me know that I didn't pass the phone screen. I feel like that's something you can email
Same. And this is after I had to do a second full phone interview, because the first one was somehow inconclusive. The recruiter was super nice, but considering the whole process lasted about three months it was hard not to be annoyed.

I've been talking to some startups recently, and for all the bad things about them, at least they don't force you to wade through red tape just to get a rejection.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
when google rejected me the recruiter also made a big effort to sound all sorry

I get the sentiment but honestly I want your figgies, not your sympathy

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sweeper posted:

yeah what do you want to know?

phone screen is standard. if you get the on-site it is an all day deal. You meet with members of the team and some management. They all have different competencies they are interviewing for which line up with the company "values" for developers. Be sure to explain what you are doing and why. Ask questions. Dig into the interview question if you feel it is vague.
seconding this as a 100% accurate description of my recent amazon interview. they send you a packet in advance with information about the company values that were mentioned, and the questions are generally leading toward one of those.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I had a phone interview on april 4th that ended with the interviewer (my 3rd phone screen, allegedly the last one before a panel interview) telling me that he was going to move me forward in the process. Since then i have heard nothing, and emails to the recruiter and the guy who asked that I email him some links to previous work of mine have gone unanswered. I even pinged friends who work there and they're like "huh that's weird, I don't know."

so it's been 6 weeks since last contact.

:same:

I interviewed at a place towards the end of April that really liked me and said multiple times I'm on the short list for the next round, but nada.

Ghosting applicants is bad enough, I expect it now, but ghosting them after communicating a positive timeline is especially frustrating.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raminasi posted:

when google rejected me the recruiter also made a big effort to sound all sorry

I get the sentiment but honestly I want your figgies, not your sympathy

if you made it to the onsite they'll happily let you try again a year later. supposedly most googlers are not hired at their first onsite

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

cis autodrag posted:

im proud you went to bww instead if trying to convince yourself that hooters has good wings, honest.

Lol if you ever do a take out order at Hooters I mean COME ON.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
woot finally got an approval from the company dragging its heels :woop: time to plan moving

so long florida may you burn before the ocean swallows you!

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I need to stop being picky about where I end up, because starting back at square one with interviews is starting to burn the parts of my soul that my current job hasn't found yet.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Iverron posted:

I need to stop being picky about where I end up, because starting back at square one with interviews is starting to burn the parts of my soul that my current job hasn't found yet.

no its the opposite

be the most picky, you just have to steel yourself and manage the pace of the search so that it doesnt make you want to die

less picky = you gonna end up doing it again, sooner

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah i should go back and see how long my last job hunt took me. cjs was yelling at me the whole time to find a new job because my old one sucked so bad but i stayed patient and it's really paid off. the good places are out there, you just have to be really patient and diligent in your search

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya i noticed that big in my last job hunt. my friends were giving me poo poo because it took me more than a year to find a new job when tech is like on fire but like the goal was to find a better job, not just a job and there's a big difference

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Rex-Goliath posted:

the good places are out there, you just have to be really patient and diligent in your search

Or you could create a linked.in profile and immediately fluke your way into it like I did.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

last job search took me like 2.5 years all said and done, including multiple (6 month) breaks when i was all 'hell yeah this place is actually good! I should stay!' before the creeping awful came back

I really wish I'd kept this info in a spreadsheet, would be rad to know, just going off memory probably like

• no idea how many i applied for, 30? 50?
  • really high % of phone screens, like 95% of apps
  • probably turned down about 60% of them over next rounds
  • probably got turned down by about 40% of them

actually finished process at 6 places I think

• 2 sorry went with someone else
  • 1 'we're gonna make you an offer, oh actually we hired this guy i know, can we hire you in 3 months?' [still emails me]
  • 1 'we're gonna make you an offer, actually we're going to get rid of that division, but we'll make this other role for you, actually can you move to sf?'
  • 2 actual offer letters

this list brought to u by adderall

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's month 5 since I got serious and started searching. getting pretty tired of the process. lots of phone screens (I've lost count, maybe 30), of varying quality. though it seems that the better the company, the better I tend to do on the phone screen. several went well but ended with "I don't think we can meet your salary demands". I declined a few of them that wanted to continue for being bozos.

4 in person interviews. one passed (I royally screwed up one of the coding questions, so not surprised). one said they like me but have a person further along in the process that they're going with. one great offer that I couldn't take because it involved moving. one currently in talks, and I want to take it but they're really blowing it when it comes to compensation (their first offer was below my current salary lol). and they're so slow that it takes forever to turn anything around.

the search continues.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
sorry, we don't need more managers

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

must  be  willing  to  relocate  to  san  francisco

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm willing to commute to San Francisco for a truckload of money. but gently caress living there

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

jre posted:

Or you could create a linked.in profile and immediately fluke your way into it like I did.

I must be doing something wrong, because i don't get many people lining up to give me jobs. maybe not having a bs cs does it :(

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

actually now i'm wondering if most job applications suck rear end because the companies that need to hire the most are the ones who are in constant crisis because they can't retain anyone :thinkingemoji: and the ones that can retain only need to hire once every few years or if most of the industry really is that bad

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rex-Goliath posted:

most of the industry really is that bad
its this

also every company ive ever worked at has had the hr department be the sump for all the mediocrities and dumbasses in the organization. theres just something about hr that attract the least capable people

im always struck by how bad and completely untrained most managers are at interviewing

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

actually now i'm wondering if most job applications suck rear end because the companies that need to hire the most are the ones who are in constant crisis because they can't retain anyone :thinkingemoji: and the ones that can retain only need to hire once every few years or if most of the industry really is that bad

companies also hire people if they're growing tho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DuckConference posted:

companies also hire people if they're growing tho

sometimes growth is organic and you can just hire by networking

sometimes you got a truckload of vc cash and just need to desperately hire because the vc said you should

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rex-Goliath posted:

most applicants suck. good people already have good jobs and are only rarely interviewing for new positions. good companies retain better but have a very hard time finding people to grow.

bad people are interviewing all the time. they keep floating between bad companies. these companies can't retain any good people and their bad people keep leaving for multiple reasons. so the bad companies are always hiring.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
jfc the hotel for the apple interview hosed up and billed my card instead of apples and made me overdraft.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's pretty much what all hotels do today, bill you at reception rather than what was booked with.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MrMoo posted:

That's pretty much what all hotels do today, bill you at reception rather than what was booked with.

the guy at the desk specifically said "for incidentals". i called but they're gonna take forever to fix it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

the guy at the desk specifically said "for incidentals". i called but they're gonna take forever to fix it.

contact your apple travel booker and tell them to fix it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

jfc the hotel for the apple interview hosed up and billed my card instead of apples and made me overdraft.

you failed the interview, poor

also get a god drat credit card, using debit cards at hotels/car rental agencies is always a bad idea because of holds

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mishaq posted:

you failed the interview, poor

also get a god drat credit card, using debit cards at hotels/car rental agencies is always a bad idea because of holds

my credit cards are full lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
is it lecture me about money time again?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sure looks like it!!!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

sure looks like it!!!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

sure looks like it!!!

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if you have credit card debt you are loving up at life hth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

my credit cards are full lol

when you give a debit card to a hotel or rental car agency, if they accept debit cards they effectively "charge" you for one night/whatever as a deposit and then refund it to you at the end. same things happen on credit cards, but it's transparent to you since the real charge never settles

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

cis autodrag posted:

is it lecture me about money time again?
Yeah why don't you go get a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

down at the jobs factory, where they grow jobs on trees

• Locked thread