Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I got stomped in my first game. I was Vodyani, and another Vodyani empire suddenly rolled up to my doorstep with medium ships and ate everything I had alive. I was able to repel their ground forces for a long time, but they eventually rolled over me. I was too busy taking tons of economic techs to build up my military and I was still messing around with the small ships. Restarted as the UE and gonna try to be aggressive this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Not that it's ever been much more than window dressing, but they kinda took out all the unambiguously moral playable factions this go round. The Scottish tree folk come close, but they're a little pushy when it comes to "harmony." Wonder if that's commentary or just to be funny.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, drat, something's not right. Game hangs every time I try to go to the diplomacy screen. Unless I plan on playing nothing but Cravers this is gonna be a problem.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Aurubin posted:

Not that it's ever been much more than window dressing, but they kinda took out all the unambiguously moral playable factions this go round. The Scottish tree folk come close, but they're a little pushy when it comes to "harmony." Wonder if that's commentary or just to be funny.

The sophons aren't really villainous and the UE...well, it depends on how you handle their story quests. They get...interesting.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
The Sophons are not evil at all. They're just naive and reckless. An entire race of Leonard of Quirms from Discworld.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Speedball posted:

Well, drat, something's not right. Game hangs every time I try to go to the diplomacy screen. Unless I plan on playing nothing but Cravers this is gonna be a problem.

Even the Cravers need diplomacy to move from Cold War to Hot War.

Speaking of Diplomacy though, I've been playing Hard and have had a lot of success just bribing people into Peace. It may seem extreme to offer themm all my dust and manpower and Titanium or whatever, but it pays off in the long run because once you're at Peace they stay that way for the entire game. So I don't need to invest anything in military technologies or ships.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
How do you build the obelisks for a wonder victory? I figured completing my quest (as UE) would grant me access to them, but all I got was a useless +approval improvement. I can't find anything in-game or in the manual that hints at how you actually access the wonders.

Edit: Also, has anyone else had the AI fake-apologize for something and not have any idea what they did? I had the Lumeris send messages to me with no idea what they were talking about. I also seem to get a lot of requests for alliances, trade, or tribute with nothing to actually accept or counter-offer.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 20, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Speedball posted:

Looks like the Horatio got the one interesting trait the Sowers had in ES1, being able to colonize anywhere. Their ability to harvest other species for more FIDS output is creepy but awesome. Looks like the Cravers aren't the only ones who eat people. I might enjoy this.

That's not a Horatio trait. That comes from having the Ecologists as your party in power. Any faction can do this if they can pump up the Ecologists. That said, it's really hard to pump up the Ecologists because the Ecologist techs and buildings all suck a lot.

Clarste posted:

Speaking of Diplomacy though, I've been playing Hard and have had a lot of success just bribing people into Peace. It may seem extreme to offer themm all my dust and manpower and Titanium or whatever, but it pays off in the long run because once you're at Peace they stay that way for the entire game. So I don't need to invest anything in military technologies or ships.

I think diplomacy is just broken in general in 1.0. I've never had the AI demand a truce or offer anything, just occasionally say things to me without making any offers or demands. And this was even after spending about 100 turns at war with a faction.

DoubleDonut posted:

How do you build the obelisks for a wonder victory? I figured completing my quest (as UE) would grant me access to them, but all I got was a useless +approval improvement. I can't find anything in-game or in the manual that hints at how you actually access the wonders.

Finish your faction story.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cease to Hope posted:

Finish your faction story.

Is that the Academy-related thing?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

I think diplomacy is just broken in general in 1.0. I've never had the AI demand a truce or offer anything, just occasionally say things to me without making any offers or demands. And this was even after spending about 100 turns at war with a faction.

I've had the Cravers repeatedly ask for truces while I crushed them beneath my tree-boots. If you won't make Peace then you're worthless to me!

I've never seen anyone else make any kind of offer though. When they talk to you about deals they're basically just telling you that they'd accept a deal from you. I suppose that's a smart way to save Influence for them?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, I've beat the game twice now without any sort of Academy quest popping up. Is it too late-game to happen before someone gets an Economic victory?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

Is that the Academy-related thing?

It depends on the faction. It's the one tagged "faction quest" in your mission log.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Avasculous posted:

The Sophons are not evil at all. They're just naive and reckless. An entire race of Leonard of Quirms from Discworld.

Yeah, I'd even say the Sophons can be unambiguously moral if you're playing them that way. I mean, in their quest you can even try to teach ENFER that tolerance is a good thing.

I haven't played as the Riftborn to see what their quest is like, but I think there's a case for them being good guys? They're just a species that wants to fix their home and get out from this mess.

Also the trees are chill.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cease to Hope posted:

It depends on the faction. It's the one tagged "faction quest" in your mission log.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, then; I finished all of the United Empire quests the game gave me. On the last turn, I have two random side quests I never completed and a quest for whether I want to support or oppose the Academy, which seemed unrelated to the UE quests.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Flipswitch posted:

Cheers mate. This worked after some fiddling about.

Does anyone know where the soundtrack saves to?

Check the ES2 steam folder. All knick-knacks (digital art books, ost, Tim Cain's cookbook etc) for a game are deposited into their respective folder.

Speedball posted:

Looks like the Horatio got the one interesting trait the Sowers had in ES1, being able to colonize anywhere. Their ability to harvest other species for more FIDS output is creepy but awesome. Looks like the Cravers aren't the only ones who eat people. I might enjoy this.

Ecologists are a senate group that any race can have. You can customise your citizens traits in the faction editor and create ecologist cravers to lovingly deplete all planets from the get-go or make an ultra capitalist human race that drain worlds of resources like cravers.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I'd even say the Sophons can be unambiguously moral if you're playing them that way. I mean, in their quest you can even try to teach ENFER that tolerance is a good thing.

Do the faction quests only have 4 steps?

I'm 4 steps into the Sophons military path (which appears to be the end), and they're not even evil there. It's just them repeatedly giving ENFER power and then having to blow up ENFER.

The final quest was actually really anticlimactic- literally just invade an undefended system spawned next to my capitol.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So is there a goon consensus on Endless Space 2? I've heard the first Endless games were pretty bad, but the developers have learned from their mistakes. I'm itching for a 4X Space game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The game just came out. Give it a bit so people can actually finish their second game. Most of the talk so far has been early access

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Serephina posted:

The game just came out. Give it a bit so people can actually finish their second game. Most of the talk so far has been early access

Ah, my mistake, I thought it had been out for a day now. Sorry.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Node posted:

So is there a goon consensus on Endless Space 2? I've heard the first Endless games were pretty bad, but the developers have learned from their mistakes. I'm itching for a 4X Space game.

I don't know about consensus but it's extremely derivative of Endless Legend, which was pretty well-received. It isn't very much like Endless Space, which sucked a lot.

It's better than the MOO remake, Galciv 3, or Civ: BE. I dunno if it's better than Stellaris (or Civ6, for that matter), but unlike those two games, factions in ES2 are clearly defined with different personalities and playstyles. It has a bunch of 1.0 release bugs still if you care about that, but there should be patches coming soonish.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I have to say games2gether really need to get their poo poo to together in terms of interface. And tutorial. In fact the interface needs a tutorial. It ranges from simply annoying like if every window can be closed by right clicking than why even include an X that you can left click? to interface dead-ends like "Cannot afford 1 probe". Ok? Now what? You want me to go google what it means and how do I "afford" it?

Instances like that could have been solved by a proper tutorial but the tutorial is awfully picky about what it chooses to explain to you. And it chooses poorly, there is a tutorial for a very straightforward and intuitive tech screen which requires no explanation but 0 info about things that are not intuitive, for example "Curiosity expedition Pow. 2". WTF is that?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sekenr posted:

Instances like that could have been solved by a proper tutorial but the tutorial is awfully picky about what it chooses to explain to you. And it chooses poorly, there is a tutorial for a very straightforward and intuitive tech screen which requires no explanation but 0 info about things that are not intuitive, for example "Curiosity expedition Pow. 2". WTF is that?
Oh my god this. The interface seems to take great joy in just throwing huge boxes at you filled with info that hide each other. I'm barely fifty turns into my first game and right now everything feels and looks excellent but I can't tell if the actual game is good, or whether the excellent presentation and aesthetic is hiding mediocrity, if that makes sense.

The main reason I'm checking this out is for diplomacy. Crusader Kings 2 utterly spoiled me when it came to the sheer amount of ways you could interact with other factions and Stellaris just seemed to ignore all of that. Hoping this game has some real meat on those fronts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh, haha, the Riftborn get Reverse Terraforming. They turn Fertile worlds into Sterile ones. That's awesome.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it still worth building small ships once you can roll out medium ships on the regular? Apart from filling out fleet caps, it feels like the larger ships just pack more firepower and health into each fleet point than the smaller ships.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Sekenr posted:

I have to say games2gether really need to get their poo poo to together in terms of interface. And tutorial. In fact the interface needs a tutorial. It ranges from simply annoying like if every window can be closed by right clicking than why even include an X that you can left click? to interface dead-ends like "Cannot afford 1 probe". Ok? Now what? You want me to go google what it means and how do I "afford" it?

You have a number of probes per ship module (the default scout always has one), they take movement points to deploy and can only be deployed if you're in system orbit. Curiosity expeditions are tied to scouts and there is a strength requisite presumably so you have to upgrade your scout ships with better scanners in the exploration tree.

If you have suggestions to improve the UI, post them on the amplitude forums. I posted one about the lack of info on citizens and starting techs in the faction editor. Reporting bugs got attention pretty quickly for ES1.

Pierson posted:

The main reason I'm checking this out is for diplomacy. Crusader Kings 2 utterly spoiled me when it came to the sheer amount of ways you could interact with other factions and Stellaris just seemed to ignore all of that. Hoping this game has some real meat on those fronts.

I don't think you can realistically expect a similar degree of diplomacy in a 4X game as you would in a grand strategy title such as CK2, as the former focuses on expansion, more detailed combat and multiple victory types like scientific, wonder or cultural so you can bring a game to a close. The latter has inter-generational intrigue and conflicts, the former has score victories so someone wins before the 20 hour mark (though if Civ is any indicator, people call a winning lead much earlier).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Delacroix posted:

I don't think you can realistically expect a similar degree of diplomacy in a 4X game as you would in a grand strategy title such as CK2, as the former focuses on expansion, more detailed combat and multiple victory types like scientific, wonder or cultural so you can bring a game to a close. The latter has inter-generational intrigue and conflicts, the former has score victories so someone wins before the 20 hour mark (though if Civ is any indicator, people call a winning lead much earlier).
I don't see why not though! Like yeah you're right trying to match them one-for-one wouldn't work but real life diplomacy and intrigue between nations has so many hosed-up situations there's no reason there can't be a similar level of depth in 4X games.

Fund nationalist or independence movements in other factions to break off their planets
Infiltrate spies onto planets to lower production, increase build times or get info about their military forces (something GalCiv2, an eleven year-old game let you do)
Lots of 4X games have Federation/UN-style features but you have to play them straight, why can't you try and use them to gently caress with other nations to weaken them and seize ultimate power?
Players who want to build tall and not wide setting themselves up as information/war brokers using spies etc to stay relevant and sell tech to both sides and not get steamrolled.

It just feels like Diplomacy in 4X games gets turned into "offer enough money to make the sliding bar go to +1 to make the trade deal/alliance" and it's such a missed opportunity. Even Stellaris which makes great use of the positive/negative traits to influence how others think about you still ends up doing this.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 20, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

Oh, haha, the Riftborn get Reverse Terraforming. They turn Fertile worlds into Sterile ones. That's awesome.

The sensory deprivation chambers were a really nice touch too!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm playing through my first game and loving the atmosphere and visuals so far.

The political system seems fairly elaborate with all the factions, pops and events etc., but unless I'm missing something the only thing it actually affects is which representatives get elected? Which in turn only affects your access to fairly mediocre laws? Like +10% industry but it costs 2 influence per pop. Unless more laws unlock that are super powerful and important?

There's some kind of small happiness modifier labelled "same ruling political party" or something but I'm not sure what it means. In one system I have that modifier twice, causing +6 and -3?

Am I safe to use the "auto design" button for ships? Do the the designs auto-upgrade when new modules are researched? I've never really enjoyed designing ships in 4X games.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What are the different factions in Endless Space 2, and how do they play?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So, whats the hot take people have for Endless Space 2? how does it compare to Legend?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
People asking for hot takes should wait for a month for some cool takes, because this is a game with a billion numbers in and it might take a while to figure out what this game is doing well and where it's lacking.

For what it's worth, it's immediately better than ES1.

Comstar posted:

This is a quick overview of everyone, nothing indepth.

Sophons: Science nerds with no self-preservation. Gain a bonus to researching techs inversely proportional to the number of players in the game who have already researched it. Try and grab key infastructure techs before others and leverage that into your victory condition.

Cravers: Angry space insects. Craver populations slowly eat the worlds they live on and enslave other populations for double benefit. Can't make peace. Go eat people.

Lumeris: Mafia frogs. Buy planets instead of sending colony ships. Trade routes can't be blockaded by anyone in cold war. Make hilarious amounts of money.

Vodyani: Religious nanobot ghost vampires. Populations live on ark ships and exploit all colonisable planets in a system simultaneously. They grow super slowly and must drain life from other populations to grow and build more ark ships. Eat the first minor civ you come across and be aggressive assholes to others.

United Empire: Space Hitlers. Gain influence when you finish building something, and can use influence to rush construction and technology. Can basically do anything.

Horatio: That one Simpsons comic where Smithers clones himself. Can assimilate other populations into the Horatio gene pool to improve the Horatio population's base stats. Ships are more expensive. Try and befriend all the minor civs and assimilate them so you can improve your Horatio into whatever you want to win with.

Riftborn: Extradimensional octagons. Hate color and life and flourish on sterile worlds. Can build and deploy time-altering bubbles that affect the output of a system in different ways. Pretty flexible but need a stream of strategics to keep using the time bubbles to get ahead.

Unfallen: Chill tree people. Don't expand borders or colonise normally - instead, they grow celestial vines over systems, allowing them to colonise any planet once the vines reach that system. Have a sub-set of tree people that are randomly placed in the universe, providing morale boosts for you and assisting you when invading enemy planets they live on. Probably not great at war as they can't invade planets with no vines, but good at other stuff.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 20, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

fuf posted:

The political system seems fairly elaborate with all the factions, pops and events etc., but unless I'm missing something the only thing it actually affects is which representatives get elected? Which in turn only affects your access to fairly mediocre laws? Like +10% industry but it costs 2 influence per pop. Unless more laws unlock that are super powerful and important?

There's some kind of small happiness modifier labelled "same ruling political party" or something but I'm not sure what it means. In one system I have that modifier twice, causing +6 and -3?

Am I safe to use the "auto design" button for ships? Do the the designs auto-upgrade when new modules are researched? I've never really enjoyed designing ships in 4X games.

Political parties "level up" over the course of the game based on how many votes they get. They eventually unlock better laws. The leftmost slot is also dedicated to a major gamechanging law that depends on which faction is the most in power. For example, the Ecologist mega-law lets them colonize any planet without the necessary tech, and the Scientist mega-law lets you research one step above your tech tiers.

The happiness modifier comes from the fact that each individual population unit is given a vote. If you have one planet that all Industrialist while the rest of your empire is Ecologist and the Ecologists won, then that Industrialist planet is gonna be super-unhappy. It's usually not a huge deal since the most popular party wins anyway, but if you're in a Dictatorship and do things that your entire civilization hates you can run into some problems.

Auto Design is fine, imo. I hate designing ships too. It's a bit different for the Vodyani though, since you also have to design the Arks, which are colonies.

Comstar posted:

Sophons: Science faction focused on exploration and research. Their gimmick is that they get bonus research points when going after techs that no one else has yet (and they can tell if people have them). They're hard to use well, imo, since they'll naturally end up with a billion techs but no infrastructure to actually build them.

Lumeris: Pacifist faction focused on money and trade. Their gimmick is that instead of building colony ships they just immediately buy the planets with dust (and can trade outposts will other factions, if you want to be especially rude). Sit back and build up trade routes, I guess. They're pretty vanilla.

Vodyani:
Religious faction focused on being space vampires. Their gimmick is that they don't settle planets at all, they just sit in spaceships and leech stuff from worlds they orbit. Including enemy worlds, with special Leech ships. They drain essence from enemy colonies, which they use to build more Ark ships or raise their population (they're bad with food). Being Religious also lets them ignore borders and attack without declaring war. They're really really weird and I wouldn't recommend playing them first.

Cravers: Militarist faction focused on expanding and enslaving. Their gimmick is that they get excellent output in every category (food/production/dust/science), but at the cost of permanently depleting their worlds and their slaves. Keep expanding and keep eating. The Hive hungers.

United Empire: Industrialist faction focused on Influence. Their gimmick is that they can spend Influence to rush production or science. They're pretty vanilla, although their abilities have really good synergies with other.

Horatio: Ecologist faction focused on expanding and growing (ie: food). Their gimmick is that they can harvest other species for their genes to improve their main species (so they can eat Sophons to get better at science, etc). Fill the universe with perfection.

Riftborn: Industrialist faction focused on being extradimensional robots? Their gimmick is that they hate food and build their population manually out of production. They have inverted planetary preferences, being able to colonize Barren and other Sterile worlds immediately while needing research to colonize Terran and Forest, etc. Oh, and they also have a weird time bubble thing.

Unfallen: Pacifist faction focused on steadily expanding their influence. Their gimmick is that unlike the other species they don't generate borders by producing influence. Instead, they manually expand their territory by stretching psychic space-vines towards nearby stars. This is also the only way they can colonize. The upside is that they can control where their influence extends, and if they're at peace with their neighbors they can even extend their influence through other people's borders.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 20, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Deleter posted:

Probably not great at war as they can't invade planets with no vines, but good at other stuff.

Actually, they can invade planets that don't have vines. It automatically creates the vines afterward. Although I haven't tried invading somewhere that wasn't already adjacent to me.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just started the game and then went to bed. I clicked the tech screen then quit. Thanks for reading.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I seem to have a mistake - I assumed after loading the game it would present SOME kind of tutorial on what to do, how to play and what anything means. I selected the tutorial level "I have played 4X games before" and it explains nothing. The first thing that comes up says "click the tech screen". "You can buy tech, but you don't have enough money of some tech icon (I presume science) to do that, so the tutorial will now stop".

I also get a tutorial that says "You can buy buildings, but you don't have enough cash icon Y to do that, so the tutorial will now stop".

Clicking on random icons gives a blizzard of information and icons that look pretty and are somewhat incomprehensible. Ah, you click on a fleet (I think it's a ship?) and it goes off somewhere. There's a planet I can colonise in system...and I've started to colonise it, I think? Do I need to send my colony ship there? I can't see how to. Wait, if you colonise ONE planet you can do that for other planets in the same system? I can't tell.

The Military page has a icon highlighting "Empire Manpower" like it's a tutorial to click on, which does nothing. Oh- the tutorial for THIS screen is in the bottom left, not top right, and sits where EVERY OTHER INFO SCREEN usually is and covers up part of the screen with information on it.

I can update the, patrol ship, save it, and come back to a screen that tells me I can't do that because I haven't researched the technology to do that yet.

There's no way to set the tutorial back to "Oh god I've never played a 4X game before, please send help" either. I can turn it off, leave it as it is, or set it to "You played our earlier games so must know everything already".

My fleet found a minor faction, but the screen to tell me that disappeared immediately. The only option is to open diplomatic ties, so ah..ok?

Is there a quest or something that's supposed to fix to explain anything? In any other game I'd expect that to happen but my 1st quest is to do something to some rebels, but gives little clue on how to increase my resource of what's needed.

Now, I presume there is a manual somewhere that might explain all this, or the basic tutorial (which I can't enable) might explain things a lot better, but the introduction to the game is very very bad.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

The Deleter posted:

People asking for hot takes should wait for a month for some cool takes, because this is a game with a billion numbers in and it might take a while to figure out what this game is doing well and where it's lacking.

For what it's worth, it's immediately better than ES1.

This is a quick overview of everyone, nothing indepth.

Sophons: Science nerds with no self-preservation. Gain a bonus to researching techs inversely proportional to the number of players in the game who have already researched it. Try and grab key infastructure techs before others and leverage that into your victory condition.

Cravers: Angry space insects. Craver populations slowly eat the worlds they live on and enslave other populations for double benefit. Can't make peace. Go eat people.

Lumeris: Mafia frogs. Buy planets instead of sending colony ships. Trade routes can't be blockaded by anyone in cold war. Make hilarious amounts of money.

Vodyani: Religious nanobot ghost vampires. Populations live on ark ships and exploit all colonisable planets in a system simultaneously. They grow super slowly and must drain life from other populations to grow and build more ark ships. Eat the first minor civ you come across and be aggressive assholes to others.

United Empire: Space Hitlers. Gain influence when you finish building something, and can use influence to rush construction and technology. Can basically do anything.

Horatio: That one Simpsons comic where Smithers clones himself. Can assimilate other populations into the Horatio gene pool to improve the Horatio population's base stats. Ships are more expensive. Try and befriend all the minor civs and assimilate them so you can improve your Horatio into whatever you want to win with.

Riftborn: Extradimensional octagons. Hate color and life and flourish on sterile worlds. Can build and deploy time-altering bubbles that affect the output of a system in different ways. Pretty flexible but need a stream of strategics to keep using the time bubbles to get ahead.

Unfallen: Chill tree people. Don't expand borders or colonise normally - instead, they grow celestial vines over systems, allowing them to colonise any planet once the vines reach that system. Have a sub-set of tree people that are randomly placed in the universe, providing morale boosts for you and assisting you when invading enemy planets they live on. Probably not great at war as they can't invade planets with no vines, but good at other stuff.
Even if I make an aggressive xenophobic repulsive race in Stellaris by the endgame I always end up doing the same poo poo as always so I am 100% down for races that force me to do different stuff.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I like the Craver that looks like it's packing Adam Jensen's cyber arms.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Comstar posted:

Now, I presume there is a manual somewhere that might explain all this, or the basic tutorial (which I can't enable) might explain things a lot better, but the introduction to the game is very very bad.

Are you playing United Empire (ie: humans)? Because it sounds like some of those tutorials were for their unique mechanic of buying research or production with Influence (purple star icon).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why do all my ships look like wire frame models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Clarste posted:

Are you playing United Empire (ie: humans)? Because it sounds like some of those tutorials were for their unique mechanic of buying research or production with Influence (purple star icon).

Yes, I am. Random tutorial's fire off when I go to random screens, at random times. One tool tip says "%putsomevaluehere". I can start diplomacy but don't have enough PURPLE MONKEY DISHWATER resource to do anything. There's no hints I read yet that say how to increase PURPLE MONKEY DISHWATER resource.

This was asked above, but I didn't understand the answer- how do I build more probes?