Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EVIL Gibson posted:

Problem is a lot of the free id databases are not populated correctly in all entries or the entry looks good until you realize a year later a song was misattributed (saying this artist did this track when they actually did this one) .

Though this is me and I've been using the folder based system since mp3 vbr just became a thing.

What do id databases have to do with it? You already have the folder structure, make the album artist match what you already decided to sort the album as. Tag&Rename makes it easy to automate taking your existing folder structure's information to determine these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My SMS app Textra is using a lot of space. I suspect that's due to things like MMS photos, but maybe just a whole bunch of text as well? Is there some magic way to pull all the photos out from all the texts and not have them stored in the app data? Or to not have this build up in the first place? Kind of an obscure question I suppose.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

fishmech posted:

What do id databases have to do with it? You already have the folder structure, make the album artist match what you already decided to sort the album as. Tag&Rename makes it easy to automate taking your existing folder structure's information to determine these things.

Eh, I'll just leave it. The main metadata fight I'm in the ring with is really now with Plex because some of their logic is just silly . For music, I'm good with Google Music and my albums fold neatly into the radio system.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm still new to Android. Is there a web browser that doesn't have some sort of crippling flaw?

Firefox has add-ons but I've been having all sorts of weird issues with it (my top sites on a new tab coming up blank to hard crashes)
Chrome doesn't have add-ons (or any ad-blocker) and doesn't let you pick duckduckgo as a search browser
Opera requires data-saving to be turned on to enable the ad-blocker and the ad-blocker is garbage. Also the options are lacking.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Use adguard or netguard to block ads

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

ShaneB posted:

My SMS app Textra is using a lot of space. I suspect that's due to things like MMS photos, but maybe just a whole bunch of text as well? Is there some magic way to pull all the photos out from all the texts and not have them stored in the app data? Or to not have this build up in the first place? Kind of an obscure question I suppose.

For the past photos, using an SMS backup app will save all the previous photos sent to you, so you can then delete them.

Textra has an option to save all pictures it gets to the gallery. Do that and you'll be set to delete them as you go in the future.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm still new to Android. Is there a web browser that doesn't have some sort of crippling flaw?

Firefox has add-ons but I've been having all sorts of weird issues with it (my top sites on a new tab coming up blank to hard crashes)
Chrome doesn't have add-ons (or any ad-blocker) and doesn't let you pick duckduckgo as a search browser
Opera requires data-saving to be turned on to enable the ad-blocker and the ad-blocker is garbage. Also the options are lacking.

Samsung Internet beta (works on most devices, doesn't have to be a Samsung) & an ad blocker like Disconnect

Adhell & Chrome if you own a Samsung device (or Samsung Internet & any ad blocking extension).

NetGuard works, but made my Nexus 6 very unresponsive at times.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 19, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

doesn't let you pick duckduckgo as a search browser

I have to admit I thought you might be serious for a bit but then I got to the joke.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone have recommendations for a time-lapse app? Looking for something that lets me choose a photo interval and can run in the background and with the screen off. This would be for recording over a long period of time (e.g. 1 hour+ while the phone is in a car mount on a road trip), so I believe the app needs to take take pictures to create the time lapse rather create it from video capture like some apps do.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I signed up for Youtube TV, and so far I'm very happy with it. Just one problem though: when I visit the page for the Android app on my Droid Turbo 2 (7.0,) it tells me that the app isn't compatible with my device. Does anyone know why this is? I understand other phones running Nougat can get it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Splinter posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a time-lapse app? Looking for something that lets me choose a photo interval and can run in the background and with the screen off. This would be for recording over a long period of time (e.g. 1 hour+ while the phone is in a car mount on a road trip), so I believe the app needs to take take pictures to create the time lapse rather create it from video capture like some apps do.

DuckConference posted:

The first couple of time lapse apps I tired in app store had awful video quality, so I made a simple free one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.technologyisawful.simpletimelapse

I don't know if that does the stuff you want, but people got pretty excited about it a few pages ago.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a way to set "quiet hours" for a specific app? I installed Outlook to use with my work email (I know I could use Gmail, but I want to keep work and personal as separate as possible). While I don't get a lot of emails, and almost none outside of work hours, I'd still like to set it so it never notifies me after, say 6 pm or on the weekends (I don't get paid enough to deal with work outside of work).

It's not a huge deal as I already have it set to not ding or vibrate and anything I get is really infrequent, but it seems like a common use case. I already use Do Not Disturb, but that's only for night and I don't want to shut my entire phone down on the weekends to stop one app.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Adguard has a sale on it's licenses right now and I'm interested, as I would like to ditch Firefox in favor of Chrome. Anyone have experience with it? Should I expect my battery to be drained and my browser history sent to Russia?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Incessant Excess posted:

Adguard has a sale on it's licenses right now and I'm interested, as I would like to ditch Firefox in favor of Chrome. Anyone have experience with it? Should I expect my battery to be drained and my browser history sent to Russia?

Or you could just grab Netguard from github and get adblocking for free (the store version doesn't support adblocking).
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

Netguard ran fine on my old Nexus 5, without a noticeable drop in battery usage or performance, and on the Pixel, there are absolutely no changes compared to a non-Netguard version.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
FWIW NetGuard never worked all that well for me as an ad blocker.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It worked well for me as an adblocker, but certainly ground my device (Nexus 6) to a halt regularly.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I use it on a Kindle HD 8 (not powerful by any metric) without any noticeable performance hit, it blocks the vast majority of ads but I see one or two from time to time; although they are usually sponsored content on news sites rather than banners or whatever. If you only want it to block ads in your browser, I'm pretty sure you just need the free version; the paid version blocks ads through all apps

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

NetGuard will block 95% of ads, and I never noticed any performance or battery problems because of it.

Though, now I use my own VPN with Privoxy now.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Though, now I use my own VPN with Privoxy now.

This is a good solution too and not really difficult, but very autistic

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Android Apps - a good solution but very autistic

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Incessant Excess posted:

My wife and I have been using it for a while with no issues

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

hooah posted:

FWIW NetGuard never worked all that well for me as an ad blocker.

The only issue I have noticed is, if you had already tried out the version from the Play store, you need to remember to disable auto-updates on that, otherwise your manually installed version, the one with ad blocking, will be overwritten when a new version is released. This is normally not an issue, but at times the dev released new versions every other day.

There are also a shitload of different settings, but you only need to do three things to enable ad-blocking:
1. Enable ad blocking by going into Settings/Advanced options/Filter traffic (switch from Off to On).
2. Download a hosts file through Settings/Backup/Download hosts file.
3. Enable the VPN in the app

There is a prompt for making sure the VPN is not being optimized for battery usage. Follow those instructions (I believe they are shown when enabling the VPN) and that's it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fart of Presto posted:

Or you could just grab Netguard from github and get adblocking for free (the store version doesn't support adblocking).
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

Netguard ran fine on my old Nexus 5, without a noticeable drop in battery usage or performance, and on the Pixel, there are absolutely no changes compared to a non-Netguard version.

It's this.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm guessing outside of rooting my phone there's no way to change the emoji style on my Samsung S7? The Samsung emojis are just terrible.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm guessing outside of rooting my phone there's no way to change the emoji style on my Samsung S7? The Samsung emojis are just terrible.

Your phone is defective; return it

(The new Android O emojis are probably just as bad, though)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Can you use Google Keyboard and use it's emoji pack?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Medullah posted:

Not without root. Emoji are a system-wide thing.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I can pick emoji type in my messaging app without root. How is this different?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

vyst posted:

I can pick emoji type in my messaging app without root. How is this different?

What is your messaging app?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

If you're excite from keyboard on television pocket monster box for communicate (sometimes) just put swiftkey on it. The emoji one.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

syscall girl posted:

If you're excite from keyboard on television pocket monster box for communicate (sometimes) just put swiftkey on it. The emoji one.

Take your loving meds, goddamn

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Android Apps: television pocket monster box for communicate (sometimes)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

nimper posted:

Take your loving meds, goddamn

Dude or madam you're posting about android apps on the world's deadest gayest website

how grey should this place be? What's your contribution?

I just gave a recc for the Swiftkey(tm) brand of emoji keyboard .apks and you want to check your coffee levels on me?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

tight aspirations posted:

Yea I actually like this one

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

syscall girl posted:

Dude or madam you're posting about android apps on the world's deadest gayest website
Point taken, but at least my posts are coherent!

quote:

how grey should this place be? What's your contribution?

:10bux:

quote:

I just gave a recc for the Swiftkey(tm) brand of emoji keyboard .apks and you want to check your coffee levels on me?

Yeah Swiftkey is cool and good

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Sincere apologies though I have not had my coffee yet. Like no joke. It's starting to become a problem that is isolating me from other people and I need to read my Garfield and murder all purveyors of decaff.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nimper posted:

What is your messaging app?

Both Textra and Verizon Messages+ have alternative emojis.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Right but it's not system wide. If I want not Samsung emojis in discord, for example, my only option is to root.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Any suggestions for an Android equivalent to the iPhone's Wallet app? I've tried a few so far and they're all terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

tight aspirations posted: