Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So these are the extremely important character flaws that people couldn't keep their mouths shut about for two updates.

Yeah, I would've swapped Ann and Ryuji's knocked out poses and given Ann a Yamcha one instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Here's what it looks like when Ann is knocked down, for the record:

Well, that is certainly a pose.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

So these are the extremely important character flaws that people couldn't keep their mouths shut about for two updates.
If there's a character flaw on display, it belongs to the costume designer. Ann as a character is fine. The issue is that when you lead with an exploitative creep like Kamoshida, it leaves a really bad taste in the mouth whenever anyone else starts ogling her. On balance I don't think the game is any worse on the sexual politics than Persona 3 or 4 (for whatever that's worth) but Lord knows they decided to front-load it.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
To be entirely fair, re: Anne's knockdown pose, another party member we recruit has almost the exact same pose when he gets knocked down.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
I find it rather telling that absolutely no one has brought up the Thieves Guild assistance mechanic that was brought up at the start of the update. I don't know what Atlus did, but they really dropped the ball in actually making that thing happen. I'm four dungeons in, and it has happened once, at a point I am quite certain it was scripted to do so, and had completely forgotten about it even existing until right now.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Since battles tend to end in the first (surprise) round, and it relies on the enemy attacking you you probably wouldn't see it if you know how to play the game :v:. Especially because since the shadows are also personas, a passing familiarity with the standard weakness and strengths of demons/persona in previous game hold true here too.

SITB fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 20, 2017

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Use Dormina on Berith. It will almost always be put to sleep. Then, let it's turn pass and then smash it's brains in. You should be able to take it out that turn. Doubly so if you got Silphy. This game isn't like megami tensei of old. Status Magics are highly effective in this game.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

The Watercrown posted:

I find it rather telling that absolutely no one has brought up the Thieves Guild assistance mechanic that was brought up at the start of the update. I don't know what Atlus did, but they really dropped the ball in actually making that thing happen. I'm four dungeons in, and it has happened once, at a point I am quite certain it was scripted to do so, and had completely forgotten about it even existing until right now.

Yeah, no, it wasn't scripted, because I literally never even used it until the end of the game. Also the way Arist worded it the Thieves Guild has more than one situation it can be useful in and that's not actually something I was aware of, so I'm kind of looking forward to that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
There are definitely parts of Ann's sexuality that are kinda gross but it all comes down to the fact that a) Kamoshida's arc happens and b) Ann doesn't seem to enjoy it most of the time. When you see cognitive bikini Ann early on and say "I'm so jealous" Ryuji says something like "not the time, dude" and when Ryuji ogles her later on in the game she suddenly likes the attention and ribs on him with a smile for being a perv. (Extremely mild spoiler for a gag in the mid-game) And in those latter cases it doesn't come across as skeevy IMO.

Atlus has the unfortunate habit of ogling female characters (which isn't that bad) but making sure you know they don't like it (which is where it gets weird.) It was especially bad in persona 4 with the camping trip and stuff. If they went all the way with the femme fatale archetype and made Ann enjoy playing that up with anybody who isn't an abusive teacher it would have come across as a lot more natural.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There also haven't really been many 'stereotypical hot dude' party members in Persona history either. The closest you get is maybe Akihiko who's popular with girls.

But just about every game you have the standard popular bombshell smart female, like Mitsuru and Yukiko. Even Yukari was popular in school.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

What, you get Joker, he's so cool.

The coolest guy in all of P5.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

There also haven't really been many 'stereotypical hot dude' party members in Persona history either. The closest you get is maybe Akihiko who's popular with girls.

But just about every game you have the standard popular bombshell smart female, like Mitsuru and Yukiko. Even Yukari was popular in school.

Doesn't Jun Kurosu count?

Though I don't think Ann is meant to be popular

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ann's more infamous than popular, but she's definitely meant to be pretty.

And yes, the main problem I have with the game's treatment of her is that they keep putting her in situations she doesn't like. It'd have been better if she were an actual femme fatale, rapey teacher aside.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Ok so I guess this confirms it doesn't happen automatically here like I thought so I guess I'll spoiler this next bit When I first fused Arsene it wasn't right now, I waited a bit and leveled him up to max. Then when I did I got the little speech he does, but when the guillotine came down it jammed right above his bagged head so Justine sawed it off with a chainsaw. At the time I thought it must be a part of fusing Arsene but I guess it was just what happens when you get an unusual fusion result. I never did see it again though, in two full playthroughs.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

There are definitely parts of Ann's sexuality that are kinda gross but it all comes down to the fact that a) Kamoshida's arc happens and b) Ann doesn't seem to enjoy it most of the time. When you see cognitive bikini Ann early on and say "I'm so jealous" Ryuji says something like "not the time, dude" and when Ryuji ogles her later on in the game she suddenly likes the attention and ribs on him with a smile for being a perv. (Extremely mild spoiler for a gag in the mid-game) And in those latter cases it doesn't come across as skeevy IMO.

There is a world of difference between those two scenarios you mentioned. Also, (spoiler tagging for a later gag) Having a guy you've known since middle school oggle your bikini body is much less gross than discovering a dream version of your teacher has a slut clone of you. That same teacher is trying to blackmail her into sleeping with him in the real world.

Ann is a model. She's not ashamed of her sexuality or her body. Ryuji is her friend and she doesn't see him as a threat like Kamoshida, but she does make it perfectly clear she doesn't like it when Ryuji's perving on her when she's not in a swimsuit.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 20, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You got a fusion accident. That probably doesn't count as a spoiler, since Igor flat-out tells you it can happen, but the odds are pretty goddamn long. I'm 70 hours in and I haven't seen it once. Anyway, the Thieves Guild prompt when you start the game covers all the network features, I think. It's what lets you check how everyone else playing spent that day, or how they answered questions in class, etc. There's at least one more thing you can do with it, but it's pretty far down the line.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Man, I don't know what you all are talking about. I like Ann's thief outfit (PURELY FROM AN AESTHETIC POINT OF VIEW, NOT BECAUSE I'M PERVY) and think she's a great character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bliss Authority posted:

"Aesthetic" is certainly a translation of what Ryuji said.

While that's one of the literal translations of the term, it doesn't have the same connotations as 'aesthetic' has in English: a better way for Ryuji to put it is "That's just how I roll" or "that's my style."

But then again I'm sure we don't want to get bogged down into a discussion of how the sasuga is made.

The "aesthetics" thing was one of the more grating translation blunders for me. It sounds completely unnatural.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The "aesthetics" thing was one of the more grating translation blunders for me. It sounds completely unnatural.

For me, it was most of Kamoshida's dialogue with the principal. Nobody talks like that!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rangpur posted:

You got a fusion accident. That probably doesn't count as a spoiler, since Igor flat-out tells you it can happen, but the odds are pretty goddamn long.

We probably won't cover this because I went the entire game without it happening my first run.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Junpei posted:

I like Ann's thief outfit (PURELY FROM AN AESTHETIC POINT OF VIEW, NOT BECAUSE I'M PERVY)
Sometimes, I wonder if you do this kind of thing on purpose.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Arist posted:

We probably won't cover this because I went the entire game without it happening my first run.

In 137 hours of gameplay, I had it happen to me once, and I ended up having to reload, because I was trying to fuse something specific for a reason that Arist will cover later.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

PMush Perfect posted:

Sometimes, I wonder if you do this kind of thing on purpose.

What I said is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

W.T. Fits posted:

In 137 hours of gameplay, I had it happen to me once, and I ended up having to reload, because I was trying to fuse something specific for a reason that Arist will cover later.

Yeah, I don't know what the chance is for it, but compared to me getting it in P4Golden within the first ten hours, it's a lot rarer.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The 4/20 is a nice touch.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Yea, fusion accidents, while AWESOME to behold (seriously where did those girls get a Velvet Branded CHAINSAW of all things?) is EXTREMELY loving rare. I'm about 80-85 hours into the game (And approaching end-game) and it's only happened once. Maybe twice because of something else that we'll see later, but the first time it happens you don't get to skip the cutscene that happens. Apparently guillotines are more reliable than CARDS when it comes to fusion, who knew?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I am in the "had one happen at the beginning of the game and never saw it again" club. I think the accident created Berith like one level before I could get him.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

dragon_pamcake posted:

I am in the "had one happen at the beginning of the game and never saw it again" club. I think the accident created Berith like one level before I could get him.

Pretty much, but for a persona a few levels away from where we are right now

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I got one fusion accident in my 90 hours of my first playthrough and it was when I wanted a specific persona for a group fusion. :argh:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ill freely admit to being pervy and liking Anns outfit, but I dislike forced deviant situations for the sake of perversion at pretty much all times and have not seen that in my 35 hours of gametime yet, so the games doing pretty good. Her down pose is pushing it though, but theres no dialogue focusing on it so I consider it safe.

Sadly sometimes you have to put up with that stuff for the sake of a great story, so Ive long since gotten over it.

Also I got a fusion accident for the first time a few game hours ago.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

dragon_pamcake posted:

There is a world of difference between those two scenarios you mentioned. Also, (spoiler tagging for a later gag) Having a guy you've known since middle school oggle your bikini body is much less gross than discovering a dream version of your teacher has a slut clone of you. That same teacher is trying to blackmail her into sleeping with him in the real world.

Ann is a model. She's not ashamed of her sexuality or her body. Ryuji is her friend and she doesn't see him as a threat like Kamoshida, but she does make it perfectly clear she doesn't like it when Ryuji's perving on her when she's not in a swimsuit.

Yes, I know these things. Hence I mentioned in my post that she doesn't like abusive teachers perving on her.

What I meant was "The game's treatment of Ann would be less gross if it focused more on situations where she's comfortable than where she's uncomfortable" and in between the whole first arc of the game, her awakening where she's displeased with her outfit, and some later gags in the game, the negative situations far outweigh the positive and empowering part of her sexuality, which we do get a glimpse of at times.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
THIS conversation is still going on? What is this, single issue WANK week?

So we don't go into CIA black bar mode, how bout we can it till we see some more of her social link? There's a bit of an explanation as to why her persona (ie her inner self/ego) picked that outfit.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 21, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

I liked it.

It just gives it a more fancy feel.

Also, Igor talks about all kinds of unnatural things.

Besides, you definitely understand him.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
I get to work with students with disabilities, and it seems like well over half have experienced some form of known sexual violence in their lives. A significant portion of them go on to prey on the younger students at the school, and little to no effort seems to go into actual treatment (the most psych any student seems to get is 2 sessions a month with a social worker). I can't go into any real details because of HIPAA but the attitude towards predatory students (most of whom were preyed on at some point) seems to be to kick the can along until they graduate and end up in prison.

My school is a bit behind the times with the way it does paperwork, but the way it treats sexual issues is depressingly common. With Medicaid cuts looming every year no matter who's in office, it doesn't seem like it'll get better anytime soon.

Kamoshida isn't just scary because he's believable, he's scary because he is extremely common.

Deltasquid posted:

Atlus has the unfortunate habit of ogling female characters (which isn't that bad) but making sure you know they don't like it (which is where it gets weird.) It was especially bad in persona 4 with the camping trip and stuff. If they went all the way with the femme fatale archetype and made Ann enjoy playing that up with anybody who isn't an abusive teacher it would have come across as a lot more natural.

I think you being uncomfortable with it is the point. She's (as many have said) one of the more interesting characters, but is treated as a sex object by the game, her friends, and the player and clearly doesn't enjoy it. It's a way to get you to look at the way she's treated from her point of view.

It's fine to appreciate beauty, but a lot of the time appreciation is pretty commonly carried way too far to the point of dehumanizing the woman involved. It comes across like they are trying to make that point, and that the way people treat her isn't supposed to feel natural.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

McFetusBurger posted:

It comes across like they are trying to make that point, and that the way people treat her isn't supposed to feel natural.
Counterargument, "don't you feel weird perving on this teenage girl" doesn't suddenly justify the back half of that sentence.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

PMush Perfect posted:

Counterargument, "don't you feel weird perving on this teenage girl" doesn't suddenly justify the back half of that sentence.

Japan has different ages of consent to Western Culture.

Can we please stop this topic for now? At least until we get more info in the game? It's starting to feel like a festering boil on an otherwise decent lp.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I am at a loss as to how you think bringing up age of consent in japan is going to result in less posts about how uncomfortable this stuff is

I don't think it's weird to be discussing this stuff seeing as it happened in the last update. It just plain feels really weird to be doing lots of pervy jokes about a teenager who was sexually abused. The birth of a Persona is meant to be emancipating and poo poo, but instead she gets turned into a sexy punchline by the game. I like the design of her persona though. It took me a while to notice she's standing on top of another heart-faced guy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mauman posted:

Japan has different ages of consent to Western Culture.

Can we please stop this topic for now? At least until we get more info in the game? It's starting to feel like a festering boil on an otherwise decent lp.
This isn't ethnocentricism, it's pointing out that the game is guilty of literally the exact thing it's trying to condemn. You don't need to defend the e-honor of Persona's Weird Sex Stuff, the LP isn't suddenly going to stop existing because you didn't come running to the defense of ephebophilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I mean, fair enough if you think her outfit is alright or don't find that enough of a negative to make you put the game down, but it's maybe going a bit too far to step up and say 'I stand with cheesecake' about the whole thing.

I can only remember P4 characters so I wonder what the other party members are gonna be like.