Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

The Science Goy posted:

In terms of replacing bass pickups, you really can't go wrong with Nordstrand. Both of my other basses are loaded with Nords (Big Splits and a MM) and they're great.

Agreed. Everything I own has them at this point.

The Science Goy posted:

It's called a single cut, instead of a more traditional double cut where the upper bout has more material removed by the fretboard. The neck joins with the body in the same manner as a double cut bass - there's just no gap between the neck and the upper bout. The trussrod is the same as any other bass.

It balances and plays just like any other bass - maybe even better balanced, since the strap on the upper bout is located close to the neck, there is absolutely no neck dive. It's super comfortable to play standing, or sitting on the thigh.

The single-cut thing first started on neck-through basses, and continuing to glue the body wing up the neck helps to keep it flat and stable.

On a bolt-on single cut, unless there's a screw going into the side of the neck from the upper bout it's mostly for looks and ergonomics, but there should also be a little change in how the strings and body interact due to the extra material in the neck pocket. The majority of singlecuts aim around the 12th fret for the connection point and can get the strap pin a little closer to the neck than a doublecut bass, which definitely helps balance.

(My next build is going to be a singlecut 6. Ash neck, walnut body w/ alder tone block, sinker redwood top, richlite fingerboard, Nordstrand dual blades.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I started to worry about the Celestion fitting into the Blues Jr., because some thread online was asking if the variant I have (the "-55") would fit and no one could say for sure. So I read up on how to get the speaker out and I did that:

...and set the two speakers side-by-side:

A quick test with a level showed that the depths were almost identical, despite the Celestion having the large-looking magnet-cover.

So into the cabinet it went:

And the amp went back together with no problem. Nothing touches the speaker. The closest thing to the speaker is the output transformer; and the replacement OT has the same dimensions as the stock one so no issues there.

Since it was after 1am I did not turn it on to listen to it, but I absolutely will before I take the chassis back out and start the mods tomorrow. I'm glad I got practice with removing the chassis, though, because I can't just lean the PCB out like many modders do; because the stock OT has to go and it's on the wrong side of the chassis to replace without taking everything out. Still, that's one mod done. :)

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Hello I was at a music store and have poor self control for oddball squiers.

e:fun fact, opamp big muff sounds loving great with this

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 21, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Opamp big muff rules.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Antigua loving rules

I don't want or need an "actual" jazz bass, but when I get one anyways it's gonna be Antigua

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I spent seven hours performing atrocious, wonderful surgery on my Blues Jr. tonight.
I drilled holes in it. I opened it up with potentially lethal voltages present and pretended like I wasn't scared. (I made videos, I'll share them soon.)

I went in with nothing but written instructions, BillM's videos, and the understanding that I had to to take it slow and easy. I've been preparing for months for this, I was all pumped to DO IT!

Here are some snapshots of the work. Just little bits of what it was like.

I had a presence control that had to be installed in the control panel. That meant tapping and drilling a hole for it, and I have never done that. End result: it's a hair to the left but otherwise ok. Here's the spot:

I thought that was rough. Drilling it out actually scared the poo poo out of me. Later, I had to drill holes in the PCB to install the bias-trim potentiometer. Now, I remember from previous amp-building days that this material doesn't like to be cut or drilled. A tiny drill-bit is going to break if you let it bend, push too hard, or skip. It also won't cut at all unless you push hard. It's like a Catch-22.
I did it, but I think I lost a year of my life doing it. I can't believe I never broke that tiny drill bit. This image is before the actual soldering of the legs of the pot to the a) ready PCB pad on the left, B) place that had to be jumped-to by a necessarily well-made mechanical and electrical connection (to be shown later) and C) the hole that had to be drilled, with the same tiny drill-bit, through the metal trace in the already stubborn PCB, using this fragile, tiny drill-bit. I was sweating so much I had to stop. If I didn't push it didn't cut, but if I did push it started to wobble and that would break the bit and leave me stuck.
The bent wires you see are the legs of the trim-pot waiting to be soldered. Not pictured: My heart-attack:

A relatively easy part: preparing to replace the stock output transformer with the obviously beefier TO20B:

Jumping way ahead: Here's the chassis with all the new components outlined in yellow. Not shown: The nerve-wracking removal of the previous components, without destroying or lifting the traces in the PCB:

So I did it. I took a video of the moment I turned the thing on to record my victory, ambiguous loss, or total failure. I'll share it.

I turned the amp on, and nothing popped, blew up, or sprayed dialectric material or smoke. When I played my guitar through it, it sounded like an amp. It was facing away from me so I won't claim much right now. More to come later.

By now it's been on for a couple of hours on burn-in and so far I have not needed to run for the fire extinguisher in the outside hallway. Nothing smells like burning.
I took a million pictures and several minutes of video, including the actual moment of truth when I turned the thing on and it didn't kill anyone.

Here she sits, not melting down as far as I can tell:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Antigua loving rules

I don't want or need an "actual" jazz bass, but when I get one anyways it's gonna be Antigua
Antigua does rule. Man, there's an Antigua FSR Strat on Reverb right now for $400 because it's missing its original electronics and I want it so bad, but the last thing I need is a third Strat. Someone hop on it.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

I've always wanted an Electromatic.

Got a good deal on this on Reverb and couldn't resist. Gonna put some .11's on it and I think we'll be good. Love it so far. I haven't played a hollow body in so long, feels great. And it's also pretty.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Antigua does rule.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Somebody tell me why I shouldn't buy a Traveler EG-1 for the occasional office jams.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/traveler-guitar-eg-1-vintage-electric-guitar?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Um... It looks a little funny? The money would be better put into a retirement fund? I hear cocane is pretty fun to try?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Weird BIAS posted:

Also sounds great as a VI, though you gotta switch the strings :coolfish:.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Weird BIAS posted:

Adorama currently is blowing those out for $280 and it's taking all of my self control not to buy one.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like mine. I guess. It's weird and exactly what it seems like but I haven't been playing it much for the last year. It's very clunky in a lot of ways. Of course that is a big part of the appeal.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

Somebody tell me why I shouldn't buy a Traveler EG-1 for the occasional office jams.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/traveler-guitar-eg-1-vintage-electric-guitar?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP

That's only slightly cheaper/smaller than a "real" guitar like some kind of Gibson Junior or M2, either of which you could use in other situations, or easily sell if you don't want it anymore.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
People sell their guitars????

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Apollo posted:

People sell their guitars????

Sometimes it happens, Cap'n. Sold two of mine a little less than a month ago. It was a shame, because both of them were special to me in one way or another. One of them was a "mariachi-style" job Strat made by the Ensenada Factory dudes (and it pretty much the sweetest Strat sound ever: even with the single-spaced humbucker, it was buttery as hell) and the other was a Lefty Korean Ibanez S which was super rare and had an insane neck for soloing. Unfortunately, and from a practical stand-point, I was seldom using them, which was a crime, so I ended up selling them to somebody who I know will give them a better use (hopefully).

Still, I miss that buttery tone. :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This has been quite the journey with bittersweet tears of joy at the results but sadness that we have to part. I have something to tell you: We're breaking up. jk jk aaayyy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That amps looks like a Class Act. Since I've never had a Blues Jr. (Used to have a Bassman and still have a Twin Reverb and played with some other Fender amps along the way), can you guys tell me: What type of sound would I get from a Blues Jr? Is there wiggle room for filthy, FILTHY tones? Or is it a boy-scout amp?

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

You can get sick tones from a blues junior, dog. What degree of filth are you trying to achieve?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

That amps looks like a Class Act. Since I've never had a Blues Jr. (Used to have a Bassman and still have a Twin Reverb and played with some other Fender amps along the way), can you guys tell me: What type of sound would I get from a Blues Jr? Is there wiggle room for filthy, FILTHY tones? Or is it a boy-scout amp?
Stock, it can get into hard rock territory thanks to 3x12AX7s. Put JJs or something better in it. Stock, it may seem a little boxy or lacking in low end. Put a Celestion, or another better speaker in it for beefier rock tones.
Depending on the pedal you put front of it you can get as sick as you want, but you will probably get a lot of noise with it. Well, you will. Get a lot of noise. It loves my Fulltone OCD. I have a DOD Boneshaker and an old reliable Korg Tube Driver that I haven't put in front of it yet. I love that Tube Driver. The stock amp is a blast and it's voiced more like a British amp (hence the EL84s) than an American Fender. You should visit a music store and crank one up. Put your favorite gain/overdrive/distortion in front of it.

I've only had a little time with the modded amp but the presence control is loving astounding. You can get everything from dark jazz to super-bright (yet smooth and musical) screaming blues/rock. The new capacitors and output transformer open up the lows as advertised, it's night and day. I used to play it with the "fat" circuit engaged but now that's just overkill. There's no need to crank the bass, either. I'm :swoon: over this thing right now. I wish I were at home playing it. The Celestion I put in it is so amazing. Like, I've tried a million combinations of the tone settings and everything I try sounds cool.

If you want to mod the amp it's very common and pretty much any amp tech can knock it out for you. The parts aren't very expensive.

*Note: I'm in the honeymoon period right now so grain of salt... I might dim on it later when I'm not so in love.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Demo with Klon/KTR plz.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

The Blues Jr freaking rules. Agreeing with Dr. Faustus on the boxiness and flubby low end though. Swapping the speaker can only do so much for that stuff, but for the size and price of that amp, it's golden. I took mine to my tech to do some BillM mods and we both played it for a bit and he convinced me not to mod it. Love that amp.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Postmaster GBS posted:

You can get sick tones from a blues junior, dog. What degree of filth are you trying to achieve?
At home, I have two "Lunchbox" Mesa Boogies, which have also become my sort-of local gig gear: A Recto-Verb 25 Head which I run into a 2x12 Orange Cab open back and an Express Plus 5:25 Combo. They're both REALLY good, with the clean channel of the Express being actually one of my favorite things ever. However, I mostly use them for metal or mid range-y hard rock. Recently, I kinda started composing a bunch of songs that sound more like dork-rear end, Queens of the Stone Age-wannabes or the more rocking Graham Coxon songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK9Y8DGh5fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC_5Q2--ZfE

Can the Blues Jr. do that on tap? Like, I want to pair down my pedalboard to just 2 noise-makers (OD and Delay) for simpler stuff.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm leaning "absolutely" on the QoTSA, because even after the mod the distortion isn't quite as tight as I might like. It's a tiny bit wooly like that QoTSA sound (I love that album, btw, but that probably makes me lame(r).

I won't comment on the Coxon though, because I can't identify the guitar/pickups so I will refrain from yes or no.

I really do recommend playing one.

You can say it's just because I spent the money and did the mods, but I think the amp is twice as great with the BillM "Basic Kit," Presence-Control, and the TO20 or TO20B output transformer (I did more than just those, but I consider those to be the most important). Together they do so much to what is already a great, versatile, affordable amp.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Yes to Queens. I play a lot of Josh Homme-influenced stuff. You can cover a ton of ground with your OD and delay. Set the delay for a slight metallic slapback, josh uses a DD-20 for this. Without checking, I'm pretty sure he uses an OCD too. I use a DD-3 for that slapback sound and a Fuzzrocious Demon King (based on OCD), and I'm pleased with the Queens-inspired tones I can coax out of just those two pieces of gear.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, color me convinced! Now to hunt one of them amps. :)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Postmaster, I want you to come over and play my amp. Play it hard. Break in my Blues Jr.! If you know what I mean.

Bahbhi, don't leave me until I've posted my "after modding" demo clips, Dang It!

If this amp had an effects loop it'd probably be almost perfect for a 1x12" affordable portable little tube beast. I am definitely tempted to buy another one, do all the same mods (maybe a different speaker) and make a little stereo rig out of them.

Like the way I run my Peaveys (sadly all that rack gear is dead now, so they just sit. They're so old, I probably need to have them both completely re-capped.)

(Ignore the Carvin in the middle, it's a bass combo that's not part of the guitar rig.)

I'm too old to carry this much poo poo around. A couple Blues Jr's and a pedalboard would be greeeat. (I mean, picture the same rig but with a couple Blues Jr's and a cool-rear end pedalboard. I already have some cool-rear end pedals!)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 24, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

i decided I needed a jag

It's a MIM Road Worn model. I'm indifferent to how the relic job looks, but what I love is the nitro finish on the body and how it feels compared to thick glassy poly finishes. Love how the back of the neck is worn down and smooth. These models are almost always very light as this one is. And it has the same pickups as the $2400 American Vintage model. Might get a mustang bridge for it, and maybe a mother of toilet seat pearloid pickguard. It's a good contrast with my LP studio. Will cover a lot of sonic ground between the two.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 24, 2017

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

If you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. And I've also thought about getting another Blues Jr for a stereo setup, but I couldn't justify it against buying something with more headroom. I love the Blues Jr but I play a Travis Bean and it loses a ton of the low end with that amp. That amp and guitar growl together, that's for sure.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My first-ever hand-painted pedal build has come together and the painting could be better lmao.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That's awesome! I wish I didn't suck rear end at pedal building. How satisfying was it to see it all finished?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ChocNitty posted:

i decided I needed a jag

It's a MIM Road Worn model. I'm indifferent to how the relic job looks, but what I love is the nitro finish on the body and how it feels compared to thick glassy poly finishes. Love how the back of the neck is worn down and smooth. These models are almost always very light as this one is. And it has the same pickups as the $2400 American Vintage model. Might get a mustang bridge for it, and maybe a mother of toilet seat pearloid pickguard. It's a good contrast with my LP studio. Will cover a lot of sonic ground between the two.
Dooooope. Get a Mustang bridge IF you need it - like, if your strings are jumping their saddles and you don't feel like shimming the neck to fix it by increasing the break angle.

Also, the Lace Sensors arrived for my Strat on Monday:

And the new body, a Sonic Gray body from an American Professional Strat, showed up today!

As mentioned before, I bought this guitar because I wanted a second strat as a Lace Sensor host because I played an old 90's Strat Plus a bit ago and fell in love. When I first brought this guitar home, it was stupid noisy so when I put the Sensors in, I also shielded it with a big, 60's style aluminum full pickguard shield. It's also wired non-traditional, because I like a bridge tone knob and I never use a normal Strat's position 4:

Anyway, it owns. The Lace Sensors give it a slight midrangey compression, but the Golds still have a ton of single coil character and chime. It and my other Strat don't really step on each others' toes, and it looks rad. It also weighs much less - dropped about 3/4 lb on the body switch.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

That's awesome! I wish I didn't suck rear end at pedal building. How satisfying was it to see it all finished?

It's really fun! I've ruined a few pedals already, but I think I have the hang of it now. Honestly, I should've started with a Rangemaster to begin with. If you want to try it again search for anyone who is selling a Rangemaster pcb or kit.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Have been eyeing off a Gibson Chet Atkins CE for a very long time.

My late grandmother (who passed away last month) brought me this as a gift, and it arrived from Germany today.

It's an Ibanez GA5TCE. Not exactly a Chet Atkins, but drat close, and about a tenth of the price.

(Also I know it needs new strings. Very soon.)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm a big fan of the nylon A string.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It's really fun! I've ruined a few pedals already, but I think I have the hang of it now. Honestly, I should've started with a Rangemaster to begin with. If you want to try it again search for anyone who is selling a Rangemaster pcb or kit.

Yours looked simple enough I think. I might give that a go. I need to get out the box of parts I already have and make a plan for builds. It's really something I'd like to get good at. I have a list of planned pedals but zero ability to make them. Idea men :cool:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm a big fan of the nylon A string.

Hahaha. I didn't realize how much it looks like that in the photos.

It's definitely a wound string, it's just turning black at a faster rate than the E and D strings.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Carbohydrates posted:

The Lace Sensors

Can I ask why you didn't buy a Clapton strat from the 90s to start off with?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Apollo posted:

Can I ask why you didn't buy a Clapton strat from the 90s to start off with?
Good question honestly. I didn't even realize how close to Clapton strat spec I'd gotten until it was done - even down to having a soft V, 9.5" radius neck. The main reason I guess is that doing it this way worked out to be much cheaper, especially once the extra body and pickups are sold, plus I got a project out of it, and I got the wiring and color I wanted (I don't like the TBX setup at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

No purchase here yet, but i am seeking recommendations! I am looking to record bass and all kinds of electric guitar at home and cannot play through amps because i live in a small apartment with walls made of cardboard. Anybody tried amplitube or guitar rig? Any recommendations?