Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Honestly, the story's felt pretty decent so far as well beyond how silly it feels for Alm to just be invited to become rebel leader. Only problem is how the maps either feel super open or utterly claustrophobic.

Also, the Lightning Sword is maybe too good. But there were points in the game where I think I might not have really been able to get through without a second unit that targets Res. And I can't be too mad at it because it is making my favourite dude Gray even cooler, even if his attack stat is almost catching up to it's base.

I thought that was a bit silly too, but keep in mine he was originally planning it to offer the position to Mycen. He just figured he couldn't really back down on it when the dude's grandson showed up instead. They kinda seem to set up Alm as the "public face" of the rebellion anyway while Clive and crew handle the nitty-gritty stuff. Don't know that part for sure. I haven't finished the first act yet.

Also sup fellow "gave Gray the Lightning Sword" buddy?

cheetah7071 posted:

They'll say "hey we're going back to town now" and then if you don't go back to town you don't recruit them

Thank you for pointing this out. The Whitewings are my most wanted units for Celica's route and I would have been super bummed/pissed if I'd missed them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I am a bit disappointed in Palla. Catria at the same level has like +5 spd/+1 str and same everything else.

Get your poo poo together Palla!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ungulateman posted:

The first cantor on Celica's route is pretty tough - are you actually supposed to kill him, or does he go away after a while? I only managed to take him out because Saber rolled a crit on an absymal hit chance.

i have yet to meet anyone unkillable, i even defeated the necrodragon without Seraphim

it took a real long time but it happened!!! Also as soon as Celica killed him she learned Seraphim, it was pretty funny

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are you playing on normal?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah

I guess on Hard you aren't gonna be hitting for more then 1 ever so it would be much harder to defeat the Dragon early

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Dragons double everyone on Hard, otherwise I would just box it in without problem.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I grabbed the free DLC (Mila's Blessing or something?) but I didn't see what it did. What's it do?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I grabbed the free DLC (Mila's Blessing or something?) but I didn't see what it did. What's it do?
you have to hit 'play dlc' in the menu and then mila will spit out some boots for you

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

The Dragons double everyone on Hard, otherwise I would just box it in without problem.

Celica was doubling it on my Hard file. So I nuked the first one and then just surrounded the other with people it couldn't one round and nuked it with Celica.

But my Alm and Celica are stupidly stat blessed overall.

The later map with 4 was a bit harder, but Genny just summoned some meatshields and the idiot AI went after them instead of my dudes.

Genny breaks the goddamn game wide open with her summons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think I need to start grinding. Midway through chapter 3 is kicking my rear end because if there's 3+ gargoyles, I'm dead.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I think I need to start grinding. Midway through chapter 3 is kicking my rear end because if there's 3+ gargoyles, I'm dead.

Yeah maybe. Your Myrmidons should be wrecking them, especially whichever one you gave the blessed sword to on Celica's side.

Are your dude units not at their tier 2 classes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Valbar should be able to tank them, Celica can oneshot one, your mages can thunder another, and whoever you gave the blessed sword to can take out a third. Plus there's Leon and possibly Atlas.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm talking about Alm's team.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ah. Yeah, they have less tools for dealing with monsters since they rarely fight them. The Levin Sword wielder should be able to do good damage to one though, plus there's Python and whatever villager mages you have. Especially Faye, since she learns Seraphim in both her magic classes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm talking about Alm's team.

I have Kliff (mage), Alm and Grey (Levin sword) who can all one round them, 2 knight who can completely tank them and most of the rest of the team can chip one down. If Faye gets a little lucky she can one round them as well with Nosferatu. They only have 10 speed, right?

My Alm is a monster.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zore posted:

I have Kliff (mage), Alm and Grey (Levin sword) who can all one round them, 2 knight who can completely tank them and most of the rest of the team can chip one down. If Faye gets a little lucky she can one round them as well with Nosferatu. They only have 10 speed, right?

My Alm is a monster.

Are you playing on normal, because the gargoyles range from 12-15 speed.

My fastest unit is Clair as a Falco Knight at 14 speed

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Are you playing on normal, because the gargoyles range from 12-15 speed.

Im playing on Hard, but I haven't hit that tier of gargoyle yet I guess. Im in chapter 3 but I've mostly done Celica's stuff.

Though I will say I have Clair at 16, Grey at 17, Alm at 14 and Kliff at 14 speed. Peg/Myrm/level 12/level 11 mage

...looking at averages my dudes are absurdly blessed which may be skewing things.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 20, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just beat the first dungeon! I am a Fire Emblem champion!

Who should I make drink from the Speed and HP soda fountains?

I have seen time and time again it posted to promote immediately. Question is, do you need seals to promote this time, or is that something you just do in the menu in between battles?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have seen time and time again it posted to promote immediately. Question is, do you need seals to promote this time, or is that something you just do in the menu in between battles?

You do it at the Mila shrines at the end of every dungeon.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
just got to end of chapter 2 and wow Alm is not very smart huh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

kliff if you made him a mage or archer or anything that didn't boost his speed. same with faye

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The HP fountain strikes me as worthless compared to the speed one. I gave Faye 2 Speed Boosts and I think Kliff the other one. Not sure if optimal exactly, tbh Faye didn't really need it she's kinda tanky with Nosferatu.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zore posted:

Im playing on Hard, but I haven't hit that tier of gargoyle yet I guess. Im in chapter 3 but I've mostly done Celica's stuff.

Though I will say I have Clair at 16, Grey at 17, Alm at 14 and Kliff at 14 speed. Peg/Myrm/level 12/level 11 mage

...looking at averages my dudes are absurdly blessed which may be skewing things.

Yeah my kliff has 9 speed. Alm has 10. Gray is my fastest at 16 but currently at 13 because he's got the lightning sword.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
*first Alm level up raises everything but Res*

... I thought growth rates were terrible in this game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Supremezero posted:

*first Alm level up raises everything but Res*

... I thought growth rates were terrible in this game.

Alm and Celica are exceptions mostly. They have really good overall growths.

No one has more than single digit res growth though. And several people have 0.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zore posted:

Alm and Celica are exceptions mostly. They have really good overall growths.

No one has more than single digit res growth though. And several people have 0.

Though Faye's second level raised everything but Skill and Res.

So should I be class changing my villagers ASAP?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Turns out there's an auto-level fountain at the end of this dungeon. I leveled Kliff, Faye, and Seliph to promotion and now Gargoyles aren't a problem.

My units must godawful though if it weren't for Gaiden's promotion system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Though Faye's second level raised everything but Skill and Res.

So should I be class changing my villagers ASAP?
you should be class changing everyone ASAP.

TBH this game's class change system just codifies what's always been true in FE games (promoting early is good), so it's funny to see people who cling to kind of untrue gamefaqs advice not realizing it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

you should be class changing everyone ASAP.

TBH this game's class change system just codifies what's always been true in FE games (promoting early is good), so it's funny to see people who cling to kind of untrue gamefaqs advice not realizing it.

It depends pretty heavily on the game. Games with late games that scale hard, like Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn or Fates, really don't do well with early promotion because you'll probably be capping and enemy stats are high enough losing 10 levels of stats hurts bad.

In most games its fine or beneficial though. Like in FE7/8 or this game you aren't capping so early stat boosts are good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FE10 is fine with early promotion because stats are so weighted in that game that everyone rams their caps in the stats they have any hope of gaining. Assuming you aren't BEXP abusing, anyway.

And FE9 only gives you like, five master seals or something. Fair on Fates tho.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The worst part of this game is how tedious the random encounters are, holy poo poo. Especially the ones that spawn on the overworld, they're just the same goddamn thing over and over.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

I would love if Python could hit something. I think that would be cool and good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
If the spells have fixed accuracy, does that mean boosting skill is useless for mages/clerics?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zore posted:

The worst part of this game is how tedious the random encounters are, holy poo poo. Especially the ones that spawn on the overworld, they're just the same goddamn thing over and over.

Eh, if the game didn't have extra EXP after every battle and skill learning, I would be more annoyed.

Extra Tasty posted:

I would love if Python could hit something. I think that would be cool and good.

Python seems to be by far the worst unit on the team. He's slow, inaccurate, and generally doesn't have the stats to survive hits partly because he gets doubled by everything.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Python is awful but Forsyth is a strong contender as well

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

Python is awful but Forsyth is a strong contender as well

Forsyth is at worst a knight that can soak up damage and do formation in a game of open maps. Also, mine turned out similar to Lukas so just slap shields on them and let them be decoys.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The war-cries in this game are so loving lame. It's almost hilarious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The war-cries in this game are so loving lame. It's almost hilarious.
they own extremely hard, actually

"Sure, I'm still hyper! Let's go!"

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Endorph posted:

they own extremely hard, actually

"Sure, I'm still hyper! Let's go!"

Lucina scores a crit and yells "I SAY WHEN IT ENDS!"

Celica scores a crit and yells "i apologize."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Lucina scores a crit and yells "I SAY WHEN IT ENDS!"

Celica scores a crit and yells "i apologize."

it's like their different characters, with different motives and ambitions or something

• Locked thread