Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is that what we're describing Trump as now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Benagain posted:

This means that foreign countries recognize they're dealing with an America that doesn't take poo poo again Is extremely temperamental, erratic, and extremely susceptible to superficial rear end-kissing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Benagain posted:

Apparently what's going around is that the Saudi king bowed to Trump, as opposed to Obama who bowed to the king.

This means that foreign countries recognize they're dealing with an America that doesn't take poo poo again.

lol

https://twitter.com/JSwiftTWS/status/865959841906470916

Anyways, today will be boring. Donnie is surrounded by gold poo poo with his face everywhere and Saudis sucking his dick all day, so he's happy. The trouble will be on days 4-9 when he's tired, cranky, news keeps happening, and he's not surrounded by Saudi gold. He'll make the connection that our other allies don't like him as much as the Saudis.

Edit: oh man https://twitter.com/RogerJStoneJr/status/865963547314073601

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 20, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Big in normal times: 18-20 Chinese sources for the CIA have been killed from 2010-2012.

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/865964775137849344

FBI thinks the Chinese have/had a mole in the CIA, the CIA isn't sure. Yikes.

quote:

But there was no disagreement about the damage. From the final weeks of 2010 through the end of 2012, according to former American officials, the Chinese killed at least a dozen of the C.I.A.’s sources. According to three of the officials, one was shot in front of his colleagues in the courtyard of a government building — a message to others who might have been working for the C.I.A.

Still others were put in jail. All told, the Chinese killed or imprisoned 18 to 20 of the C.I.A.’s sources in China, according to two former senior American officials, effectively unraveling a network that had taken years to build.

Assessing the fallout from an exposed spy operation can be difficult, but the episode was considered particularly damaging. The number of American assets lost in China, officials said, rivaled those lost in the Soviet Union and Russia during the betrayals of both Aldrich Ames and Robert Hanssen, formerly of the C.I.A. and the F.B.I., who divulged intelligence operations to Moscow for years.

Wow this is sloppy

quote:

Those who rejected the mole theory attributed the losses to sloppy American tradecraft at a time when the Chinese were becoming better at monitoring American espionage activities in the country. Some F.B.I. agents became convinced that C.I.A. handlers in Beijing too often traveled the same routes to the same meeting points, which would have helped China’s vast surveillance network identify the spies in its midst.

Some officers met their sources at a restaurant where Chinese agents had planted listening devices, former officials said, and even the waiters worked for Chinese intelligence.

This carelessness, coupled with the possibility that the Chinese had hacked the covert communications channel, would explain many, if not all, of the disappearances and deaths, some former officials said. Some in the agency, particularly those who had helped build the spy network, resisted this theory and believed they had been caught in the middle of a turf war within the C.I.A.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 20, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Trump is such a fuckup he's taking Fox News down with him. Their ratings are in a dive because only the craziest of the crazies that are choosing to be willfully ignorant of reality are watching. Their ideological dedication to not portraying anything as negative means everyone else is tuning in to other networks to watch the dumpster fire.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

E: Actually, I'm kind of peeved. Didn't change anything != fielding literally every helo with Mode 4 and determining that it required a GO waiver to fly without Mode 4 in combat zones is a pretty big change. It just took literally a decade or more (more like 2+ decades) to field all the upgrades.

Maybe big Army learned, but the crews didn't. Or, more likely, the lessons faded over the intervening years. Mode 4 is one of the smallest pieces of the puzzle, frankly. In another venue we can discuss why.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sure, but bottom line is that the pilots made a supposed VID. Sucks for the AWACS community, but IMO, if pilots want to keep their special "shooter" status, they should've owned those 2 loving missiles they plowed into the blackhawks.

But you shoot down one little RAF jet without its IFF, diving at your radar....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

Big in normal times: 18 of the 20 Chinese sources for the CIA have been killed from 2010-2012.

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/865964775137849344

FBI thinks the Chinese have/had a mole in the CIA, the CIA isn't sure. Yikes.

Wow this is sloppy

18-20, not 18 OF 20.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

bird food bathtub posted:

Trump is such a fuckup he's taking Fox News down with him. Their ratings are in a dive because only the craziest of the crazies that are choosing to be willfully ignorant of reality are watching. Their ideological dedication to not portraying anything as negative means everyone else is tuning in to other networks to watch the dumpster fire.

Good.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Oh, in a surprise to no one, Betty Shelby was found not guilt of shooting an unarmed black man

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

18-20, not 18 OF 20.

That's what I get for trying to read too fast :downs:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Are they really tanking ? I would have guessed higher ratings despite (or because of?) the sexual harassment issue and trumps dumbass, that even the average conservative would be retreating further into the echo chamber because big bad liberal media being bullies. Glad to hear it tho

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dont forget hospital waiting rooms, gyms, and DFACs

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

glad to see the south is getting rid of their participation trophies for the civil war finally

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
RE: Those PRC assets we lost 2010-2012. I'll buy sloppy craftwork and bad field work over "China hacked our encryption"

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Genocide Tendency posted:

Yea, when I heard that on Maddow from probably the same dude. "Spent too long chasing the white whale" I think is how the guy put it.

I'm not a pilot but from pilot talk that I heard.. I thought 1000 foot misses was pants making GBS threads territory? 30 loving feet sounds like a mid air that everyone just managed to walk away from.

Don't you run into wake issues at that range? Like the wash will put you into the dirt? It sounds really loving close and.. Bad.

Helicopters, dude. We generally flew formations measured in rotor discs. This was not that, though. I could probably whip up a quick video for another thread later.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

dont forget hospital waiting rooms, gyms, and DFACs

Anecdotally, I'm starting to see a lot more such TVs with either CNN or MSNBC on. Or waiting areas with multiple TVs have a mix of Fox and CNN/MSNBC. Or they just say "gently caress it" and put on ESPN.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Weather channel for waiting rooms or GTFO.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Anecdotally, the conservative side of my family has stopped watching Fox because it's part of the lamestream liberal media. They prefer Breitbart for their real hard hitting journalism.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Sure, but bottom line is that the pilots made a supposed VID. Sucks for the AWACS community, but IMO, if pilots want to keep their special "shooter" status, they should've owned those 2 loving missiles they plowed into the blackhawks.

But you shoot down one little RAF jet without its IFF, diving at your radar....

That's the thing that gets me. Mode 4 shouldn't have even been a factor since those dudes "visually identified" the aircraft. It is impossible to confuse two Blackhawks for two Mi-17s.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Anecdotally, I'm starting to see a lot more such TVs with either CNN or MSNBC on. Or waiting areas with multiple TVs have a mix of Fox and CNN/MSNBC. Or they just say "gently caress it" and put on ESPN.
loving History Channel garbage.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Anecdotally, the conservative side of my family has stopped watching Fox because it's part of the lamestream liberal media. They prefer Breitbart for their real hard hitting journalism.

Oh yea that's gotta be what it is. I've a few friends like this now

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

That's the thing that gets me. Mode 4 shouldn't have even been a factor since those dudes "visually identified" the aircraft. It is impossible to confuse two Blackhawks for two Mi-17s.

It's even worse, they confused them for 2 Mi-24s.

http://www.gao.gov/assets/160/156037.pdf

quote:

On April 14, 1994, two U.S. Army Black Hawk helicopters and their crew
assigned to the Military Coordination Center were transporting U.S.,
United Kingdom, French, and Turkish military officers; Kurdish
representatives; and a U.S. political advisor in the TAOR. The Black Hawks
had departed Zakhu enroute to Irbil, Iraq. (See fig. 1.1.) At the same time,
two F-15s were sanitizing the area that the Black Hawks were in; and the
AWACS was over Turkey providing airborne threat warning and control. The
AWACS was aware that the Army Black Hawk helicopters had departed
Zakhu and were proceeding east into the TAOR. However, the F-15 pilots
were unaware that Black Hawk helicopters were already in the area and
were not advised of the presence of friendly aircraft. The fighters twice
informed the AWACS that they had unknown radar contacts in the TAOR, and
the AWACS had access to electronic information regarding the presence of
friendly aircraft in the vicinity of the F-15s’ reported radar contacts.

Throughout the incident, the helicopters were unable to hear the radio
transmissions between the F-15 pilots and the AWACS because they were on
a different radio frequency.
According to the Aircraft Accident Investigation Board President’s
opinion, when the F-15 pilots were unable to get positive/consistent
electronic responses, they performed a visual intercept with each making
a single identification pass over the Black Hawks to identify the
“unknown” aircraft. However, the Board President concluded that the
identification passes were carried out at speeds, altitudes, and distances at
which it was unlikely that the pilots would have been able to detect the
Black Hawks’ markings. The pilots said that they did not recognize the
differences between the U.S. Black Hawk helicopters with wing-mounted
fuel tanks and Hind helicopters with wing-mounted weapons.
The Board
President determined that the pilot in the lead F-15 aircraft had
misidentified the U.S. Black Hawks as Iraqi Hind helicopters and the
wingman did not confirm, when asked by the lead pilot, that he had been
unable to make a positive identification. The flight lead fired a single
missile and shot down the trailing Black Hawk helicopter. At the lead
pilot’s direction, the F-15 wingman fired a single missile and shot down the
lead helicopter. All 26 individuals aboard the two helicopters were killed
in the fratricide.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 20, 2017

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

RE: Those PRC assets we lost 2010-2012. I'll buy sloppy craftwork and bad field work over "China hacked our encryption"

Everyone always blames HUMINT

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hey, can we start a thread for identifying aircraft chat? It seems like there's enough interest that it can have it's own space

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to WEFT chat.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Looking forward to WEFT chat.

REFT > WEFT because helicopters are cool and good

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Fox's problems aren't as much Trump as its losing Ailes. The only reason Fox News is a thing is because of him. Trump being a poo poo flinging monkey is making it worse, but the wheels came off the minute the Murdoch sons and the board took out Jabba the Hut.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Helicopters, dude. We generally flew formations measured in rotor discs. This was not that, though. I could probably whip up a quick video for another thread later.

Oh. I thought you were talking fighters or heavies.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Weather channel for waiting rooms or GTFO.

gently caress the Weather Channel. Bullshit sensationalist trash. You shouldn't use them for a drat thing. If you want weather info use the NWS website or Weather Underground if you need an app. All TV weather is garbage.

Also H&G TV for wait rooms.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My Radar app is kinda fun. Chugs when poo poo gets real though and is a battery hog.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Man the weather channel app on my iPhone gives me a heads up 15 minutes before rain starts and poo poo, and usually gets the 3 day window of weather right.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

gently caress the Weather Channel. Bullshit sensationalist trash. You shouldn't use them for a drat thing. If you want weather info use the NWS website or Weather Underground if you need an app. All TV weather is garbage.

The Weather Channel bought Weather Underground years ago. Even had an afternoon show named after it for a while.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Weather Underground's app feed pulls from the NWS in the best layout for an app. That and they provide the easiest access to credible tropical model data if you live on the east or gulf coast. At least until they gently caress it up in 6 months.

TWC is the Fox News of weather.

Get your weather from the NWS, skip the sensationalism.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gently caress yeah give me Jonathan and Drew

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Buca di Bepis posted:

gently caress yeah give me Jonathan and Drew

gently caress if I don't enjoy watching that show, but damned if I don't get a Hardly Boys vibe from the two of 'em.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
I like Chip and Joanna. She's smoking. Talks way too much about shiplap though.

But seriously gently caress that guy named Tarek, who pronounces his name "Tair-ek." Sorry rear end in a top hat your name is pronounced "Tah-reek" you yuppy gently caress. What the gently caress kind of name is that anyway.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Vulcan iirc

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Bored As gently caress posted:

I like Chip and Joanna. She's smoking. Talks way too much about shiplap though.

But seriously gently caress that guy named Tarek, who pronounces his name "Tair-ek." Sorry rear end in a top hat your name is pronounced "Tah-reek" you yuppy gently caress. What the gently caress kind of name is that anyway.

May Current Events

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Current events: that yuppy gently caress Tarek got divorced and doesn't have a show anymore because his wife divorced his yuppy rear end.

In my defense they started HGTV chat.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Didn't really like him either but dude got Jodied so RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What is happening