Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
And the other 2 Kfirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

What kind of schizophrenic mechanical geniuses do we have to have to maintain this international motley of planes?

Can you imagine just the number of different wrenches?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

TildeATH posted:

What kind of schizophrenic mechanical geniuses do we have to have to maintain this international motley of planes?

After this campaign I think we are selling some of them to uniform the parts.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Went and fixed the mistakes and added the ADA. I couldn't find an SA-22, so there's an SA-19 instead.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Quinntan posted:

Went and fixed the mistakes and added the ADA. I couldn't find an SA-22, so there's an SA-19 instead.

I think I love you

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

TildeATH posted:

Is it wrong that I kind of like it like this? Really underlines the "mercenary air force" aspect of it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
We had to hire an international team of misfits as engineers.

I don't know where the hell they got a source of bio-jet fuel, but they're indispensible.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TildeATH posted:

Can't be worse than what the German Luftwaffe/Heer had to deal with at the height of WW2.

"Standardization? Nah, gently caress that! Halfassed prototypes for everyone!"

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Our tarmac must look pretty neat with this jumble of aircraft on it.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
We should go for a Noah's Ark theme. Try to get two of every combat aircraft.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TildeATH posted:

Our job here on the ground is pretty easy tbh. Well my job anyways.

Also, American Parts, European Parts, all made in Taiwan. :shrug:

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Quinntan posted:

Nice! Where do you find the shipbuckets ?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Dimitris posted:

Nice! Where do you find the shipbuckets ?

Various deviantart accounts and the shipbucket page itself.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

yurtcradled posted:

We should go for a Noah's Ark theme. Try to get two of every combat aircraft.

The perfect plan.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
That sounds like maintenance hell

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I've just been running with the interpretation that the purchase price of the planes includes a maintenance team that actually understands that particular airframe. It both solves the "maintenance crew goes literally insane" problem and introduces ridiculous levels of unnecessary bureaucracy which seems fitting.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

I've just been running with the interpretation that the purchase price of the planes includes a maintenance team that actually understands that particular airframe. It both solves the "maintenance crew goes literally insane" problem and introduces ridiculous levels of unnecessary bureaucracy which seems fitting.

This.

Initially I'd planned on us hiring a ground crew, support mercs, counting ammunition, basing, and then I realized that it would create a shitload of work for the end result of "maintenance costs reduced by 3%". I might bring back other ground stuff, but not in that capacity.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It could turn into some kind of a soft benefit, like the fluff occasionally gives us benefits if we're consolidating our logistical train, as opposed to some kind of firm benefit. At the very least our shareholders might be impressed and choose to leave more money in the company to take advantage of this newfound efficiency.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Ground stuff that might be interesting if it doesn't introduce too much busywork would be limiting the munitions supplies we start the next theater with and letting us decide whether to replace expended munitions or save up for new aircraft/unforeseen expenses after missions.

Also maybe adjusting pilot experience as way to simulate combat fatigue if we decide to skimp on the booze and whores after a mission.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
I like the variety of planes. It showcase a lot of different and interesting planes, warsaw pact vs nato e.g.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I think it'd be rather dull if we were forced to standardise on a few airframes. I like the fact we've got such an eclectic collection. Aside from the fact that it underlines we're a bunch of scrappy mercs, it also lets us see more interesting aircraft than "F-15s/Gripens/whatever forever and ever".

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Man, I don't care if they're deathtraps circa 2023, I will fly any super sexy Su-27s and derivatives/upgrades if needed.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

This.

Initially I'd planned on us hiring a ground crew, support mercs, counting ammunition, basing, and then I realized that it would create a shitload of work for the end result of "maintenance costs reduced by 3%". I might bring back other ground stuff, but not in that capacity.

I was trying to do some numbers on the size of our logistical tail.

We've got over forty aircraft, including multirole fighters, strike aircraft, electronic warfare, AEW&C, drone, transports, and tankers. At a bare minimum, we've got over 40 pilots and nearly 25 additional aircrew (MQ-9 sensor operator, C-130 navigator, KC-135 boom operator, etc.). Realistically, we'd need more pilots than planes so that number should be even bigger.

They need maintenance, ammo, fuel, and aircrew survival (parachute, etc.) people working to keep them flying.

To coordinate all this, we need a full military staff. We'd have a Personnel shop (basically HR), an Intel shop, to execute missions we would turn to our Operation shop and Plans shop (who all the planning goons are helping), our Logistics guys have been working overtime to keep us supplied with Meteors and SDBs, the Comms guys are keeping our internet, SATCOMs, and radios working, our Finance (i.e. accounting) guys make sure we get paid.

We'd need some basic medical and behavioral health support. And we'd want some construction guys and handymen to fix up the base, cooks to feed us, etc. Even if we hire local contractors to do this, they still gotta be paid.

And as a business, we'd also have sale, marketing, PR, client management, a C-suite, etc, etc.

Bottom line, private air force the size of Hired Goons has daily operating costs in the hundred of thousands of dollars.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean we are basically a small country's entire air force worth of equipment.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Stago Lego posted:

I like the variety of planes. It showcase a lot of different and interesting planes, warsaw pact vs nato e.g.

Soup Inspector posted:

I think it'd be rather dull if we were forced to standardise on a few airframes. I like the fact we've got such an eclectic collection. Aside from the fact that it underlines we're a bunch of scrappy mercs, it also lets us see more interesting aircraft than "F-15s/Gripens/whatever forever and ever".

Airforces of our size (and above) tend to be based around one or two airframes. Yooper was also talking about introducing maintenance a la dice roll for every plane to decide whether it could fly a mission or not. I would like to have a core of 20-24 gripens/tornado's/whatever multirole that can do every job well, for easier mission planning and not being screwed out of capabilities because some planes are out of commission. That would already be a hodgepodge by normal standards. I'm completely fine with using whatever boondoggle planes strike your fancy, given that we maintain the core fleet.

JcDent posted:

Man, I don't care if they're deathtraps circa 2023, I will fly any super sexy Su-27s and derivatives/upgrades if needed.

The Flankers have not given a good showing of themselves so far but modern variants would actually give our gripens a run for their money.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Soup Inspector posted:

I dunno man, having gone through proposing a few ops now, there is nothing I would want more than some rationalisation of our force. As is, we have nine combat aircraft types, most of which we only have one or two of. They all have different loadouts, different IFR capabilities and compatibilities, ranges and speeds. Rationalizing would make planning ops so much simpler.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 20, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

To save on personnel resources, I'll serve all 3 crew positions in my pantsir myself, just running back and forth like a maniac.

Quinntan posted:

I dunno man, having gone through planning a few ops now, there is nothing I would want more than some rationalisation of our force. As is, we have nine combat aircraft types, most of which we only have one or two of. They all have different loadouts, different IFR capabilities and compatibilities, ranges and speeds. Rationalizing would make planning ops so much simpler.

Variety is interesting. We should establish a rule where we don't acquire more than 4 of any type until we have one of everything in the DB going forward.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Proposal: Dragonslayers, Inc.
The Sk 60Bs have proved that they can't survive in a modern air defense environment. And they have to get drat lucky to actually kill anything. But I think they can still be useful to us.

That's why I propose we create a spin-off company: Dragonslayers, Inc. We detach the SK 60s and send them back to the home front. There, they can do some PR work and make us some extra money.

They can make money as they:
-Fly airshows as an aerobatic demo team.
-Take up wannabe fighter pilots for mock dogfights.
-Train new pilots.
-Fly as a private aggressor squadron for other air merc companies and air forces.
-Do VIP transport.
-Help with search-and-rescue.

And we could get some great benefits from this!
-Get sponsored by Saab and get paid a check, plus get discounts on their stuff (Gripens, parts, etc).
-Bribe VIPs with free aerobatic rides to get nicer contracts.
-Make contacts with other air mercs and military units.
-Network at airshows and meet new suppliers and clients

What do you think, Hired Goons?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

glynnenstein posted:

To save on personnel resources, I'll serve all 3 crew positions in my pantsir myself, just running back and forth like a maniac.

Variety is interesting. We should establish a rule where we don't acquire more than 4 of any type until we have one of everything in the DB going forward.

this is an awful idea and anyone who makes mission proposals will hate you for it

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dance Officer posted:

this is an awful idea and anyone who makes mission proposals will hate you for it

Going to post just to explicitly disagree.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dance Officer posted:

I guess we could just have 20 Gripens every mission to fire 40 meteors and drop 80 SDBs and someone somewhere would still think that's cool.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Bacarruda posted:

I like this idea, but that paint scheme is gaudy as hell. Also we should probably wait and make sure the Sk-60Bs survive their Finest Hour. Also also I thought there was a plan to gift them to Von Hoff? Sounds like we'll need a vote during procurement.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

power crystals posted:

Going to post just to explicitly disagree.

I disagree with your disagreement.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Dance Officer posted:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

glynnenstein posted:

I guess we could just have 20 Gripens every mission to fire 40 meteors and drop 80 SDBs and someone somewhere would still think that's cool.

Yeah, this.

Unified forces means that our already fairly similar plans will just become identical. The weird variety gives us character.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

The only reduction in frames I would support as of now is limiting the Tornados to only German, Saudi or British ones.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Bacarruda posted:

The Sk 60Bs have proved that they can't survive in a modern air defense environment. And they have to get drat lucky to actually kill anything. But I think they can still be useful to us.

That's why I propose we create a spin-off company: Dragonslayers, Inc. We detach the SK 60s and send them back to the home front. There, they can do some PR work and make us some extra money.

They can make money as they:
-Fly airshows as an aerobatic demo team.
-Take up wannabe fighter pilots for mock dogfights.
-Train new pilots.
-Fly as a private aggressor squadron for other air merc companies and air forces.
-Do VIP transport.
-Help with search-and-rescue.

And we could get some great benefits from this!
-Get sponsored by Saab and get paid a check, plus get discounts on their stuff (Gripens, parts, etc).
-Bribe VIPs with free aerobatic rides to get nicer contracts.
-Make contacts with other air mercs and military units.
-Network at airshows and meet new suppliers and clients

What do you think, Hired Goons?

I'd be fine with this so long as I'm not one of the guys piloting those loving things anymore. I've done my time, god knows I've been cheating death every time I go up in one of those things, so I'd appreciate the ability to never have to touch one of those things ever again.

(OOC: This seems legit so long as we Sk60 pilots can stick around and transfer to better planes.)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Let's just buy and sell whatever we feel like buying and selling and not worry about variety or lack of variety until it actually becomes an issue.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
I do agree that we should have limit the airframes to one variety. E.g. only saudi Tornados or only F-15E's.

Stago Lego fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think we should aim to keep any attack plane numbers above 1 to ease planning. That single Su-25 is a now an odd duck, for example.