Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Inzombiac posted:

But neither let you tank Tyrian masteries. I hate that they are split.

yeah, it sucks, but at least fractals give good tyria exp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, it sucks, but at least fractals give good tyria exp

But then you have to get a Fractals party that isn't garbage :negative:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The barrier to entry of high level fractals is high enough that even pugs will only very rarely fail in my experience. For 80+ you need to be in mostly ascended gear (which means you either take the game serious enough to get that far through normal progression or drop a few hundo on gems) and understand infusion mechanics which aren't really intuitive.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Is the living story worth paying gems to unlock in goon opinion? I'm missing 4 season 2 chapters (640 gems with discount) and wasn't sure if there were any cool rewards for finishing it. I'm largely a casual player so being some additional single player story content for me seemed appealing.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

graynull posted:

Is the living story worth paying gems to unlock in goon opinion? I'm missing 4 season 2 chapters (640 gems with discount) and wasn't sure if there were any cool rewards for finishing it. I'm largely a casual player so being some additional single player story content for me seemed appealing.

Not those chapters IMO. From what I remember most of them were a pain in the tuckus.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

But neither let you tank Tyrian masteries. I hate that they are split.

My problem is never the exp, it's always the mastery points, I never seem to have enough red ones.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a number of the red mastery points are gated behind stuff I'm not thrilled by the prospect of doing.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

graynull posted:

While the content isn't especially wonderful, it is another 4 Tyria mastery points, or 8 if you're hard up enough to do all the achievements for them. Autoloot is wonderful and I understand that the 5th downed skill is pretty good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

While I still wish dungeons would make a return I gotta admit I'm really impressed that ArenaNet kept up with adding a new area with each Living World episode this time, that's pretty cool. I thought HoT was a bit light on zones to explore when it first came out but a steady release of new zones definitely helps, especially because they all seem pretty cool.

I haven't played since Bloodstone Fen though and my new monitor won't be here until Wednesday so hopefully the other ones are also fun to play :v:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Some retard in goon is saying SFD will ban everybody that poo poo talks Star Citizen, and I'm here to say that's absolutely correct. Star Citizen is more than a game, it's a social movement and we won't allow it to be silenced.

Isn't that right Arus, how many thousands did you kick in I forgot.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Visidan posted:

Some retard in goon is saying SFD will ban everybody that poo poo talks Star Citizen, and I'm here to say that's absolutely correct. Star Citizen is more than a game, it's a social movement and we won't allow it to be silenced.

Isn't that right Arus, how many thousands did you kick in I forgot.

Star Citizen can suck a poo poo and piss a brick, mate

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Famous last words. Rip Tacitus.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Star Citizen can suck a poo poo and piss a brick, mate

Looks like we found ban #1001 eh Clankus mate?

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Linking my reddit post here because I don't want to go through formatting all of this again:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6cgzhl/spoilers_there_may_be_a_connection_between_the/

Yesterday I joined Saturday Raid Crew and made a realization.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
hosed up if true

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a) I wonder if they're going to try to give Mesmer a DPS elite spec in the next expansion. I really don't know how that works without fundamentally changing how phantasms work, though.

b) I also wonder if they're going to come even remotely close to balancing the new elite specs versus the HoT ones. I get why the HoT elite specs are stronger than the base classes, but ideally elite specs would be balanced against each other, right?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well you don't sell copies by introducing specs that are on par with others, silly.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Given that phantasms are basically slow ticking conditions that can be killed, I'm sure they could be tweaked to do meaningful DPS. Having better ranged/condi builds would be real nice.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I want a spec that forgoes illusions entirely in favor of heavily increased control options. Something a bit more in the GW1 mesmer vein. I personally hate illusions, they're really rather boring compared to just about anything else you could be doing as a mesmer.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Did any of the elite specs fundamentally change the base classes' gimmick? Turrets to gyros isn't that big of a deal. Rangers still have pets.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

I want a spec that forgoes illusions entirely in favor of heavily increased control options. Something a bit more in the GW1 mesmer vein. I personally hate illusions, they're really rather boring compared to just about anything else you could be doing as a mesmer.

I like illusions, but I definitely would like a spec that changes how they work.

Honestly what I'd prefer would be for phantasms to be one-shot attacks rather than persistent illusions (with their effects and cooldowns adjusted as appropriate for that). That way you always know what you're getting from them. Let regular clones work how they already do and work as shatter fodder. That's true for Mesmer in general, not just for a hypothetical new elite spec.

Aleph Null posted:

Did any of the elite specs fundamentally change the base classes' gimmick? Turrets to gyros isn't that big of a deal. Rangers still have pets.

I could see an elite spec making slight changes to how phantasms or clones work, but definitely nothing that outright removes them.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Anet, make a glass cannon mesmer spec where you no longer summon clones but instead have 3 permanent clones that mirror all your actions at the cost of 2/3 of your health and I'll come back to this game.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Anet, make a glass cannon mesmer spec where you no longer summon clones but instead have 3 permanent clones that mirror all your actions at the cost of 2/3 of your health and I'll come back to this game.

anet please ignore this

WontGetFooledAgain
Nov 5, 2012
So I decided to hop into this game from after barely playing it, used one of those birthday boosters to get to level 30 and now just exploring around. Are there any active goon guilds and is crafting important? Can I get most of what I need from just running around?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

WontGetFooledAgain posted:

So I decided to hop into this game from after barely playing it, used one of those birthday boosters to get to level 30 and now just exploring around. Are there any active goon guilds and is crafting important? Can I get most of what I need from just running around?

Read the OP for guild stuff.

Crafting isn't really important while levelling. You can get some decent gear from it, but you can keep up with content just fine by buying new stuff from Heart/Karma merchants while you level. Crafting gets way more important at 80. You'll get materials from normal play, but not really enough to delve deep in to crafting while levelling.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Rakeris posted:

My problem is never the exp, it's always the mastery points, I never seem to have enough red ones.

Some of them are "free", e.g. diving master.
Many of them are easy, but time consuming, e.g. map completion
Some of them are "easy" but requires a ton of money, like the one where you need 90 cultural armors.

If you want to max your Tyria masteries you either need Living Season 2 (8 free points for completing the story), or you need to do every single available Tyria mastery except 1, as there is 1 spare.
Considering the price and time investment for some of those, i would recommend buying Living season 2.

IIRC this is what i did to max my Tyria masteries:
Triple trouble raid 3 times, once for each color. This will give you 5 masteries.
Living Story all 8 chapters is another 8.
All the various free/easy ones.
Tequatl raid + meta achievement (or however you spell it), another 2.
The easy ones in Silver Wastes; kill 4 bosses and discover all the badges (SW also doubles as a great place to level mastery experience)
All the ones from Fractals (easier than it sounds)

You should not need any of the collection ones.

After this i had maxed my Tyria masteries and had 1 Tyria mastery point spare.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

Elementalists can overload their attunement
Guardians got a bow
Rangers can be a healer

Just a few examples amongst many.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
Literally came here to ask about Tyrian Mastery Points, thanks for the post Ineptitude :love:

My two immediate goals are getting enough MPs to finish the Tyrian masteries, and gearing one character in Ascended for high level fractals and raids and such.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ineptitude posted:

After this i had maxed my Tyria masteries and had 1 Tyria mastery point spare.

This is a great post, i appreciate it

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Incoming Tyria mastery effort post:

Here is the list of mastery points.

I categorized them below.
Easy ones are ones that you either get with little effort, you get "for free" from completing the story or ones that can easily be soloed they just take time
Medium are ones that require a bit more effort and planning but shouldn't be too difficult to complete.
Hard are ones that are actually hard
Stay away are masteries that are extremely difficult and/or expensive

You will need 49 Tyria points in total. If you do all the easy and medium ones you will get 53 which is more than enough. I recommend not doing Koutalophile, the Tequatl meta achievement and skip the fractal ones you aren't able to do in a few tries. Personally i was able to knock out all the fractal ones in a couple of hours in a SFD/GOON group.

Easy: (26 in total)
Koutalophile - can be time consuming depending on luck. One of the items requires spending a bunch of Laurels so save this one for later. I personally do not have this mastery.
Amber Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Cobalt Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Crimson Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Karka Queen Killer - just show up for the event and kill her
Ruler of Shinies - just show up for the event and kill her
Dive Master - just run around and do all the dives
Been There, Done That - explore the map!
Dungeons Discovered - do the dungeons!
Master of Heroics - get to level 80
Hidden Garden - do a easy jumping puzzle
Slaughter in the Swamp - just show up and kill Tequatl
The Annihilator - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Demolisher - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Executioner - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Tormentor - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
Triple Trouble* - Easy to do while you do the great jungle worm
Wurmicidal Maniac* - You get this for free when you have killed 3 different great jungle worm heads.
Story - 8 possible in total - I did not list all these are there are a ton. You will get 8 mastery points in total, out of 25 possible, as you will only get credit for completing the story on 1 race. Playing through the story once will gget you 8 mastery points "for free".

Medium (27 in total)
Living Season 2 (8 in total): Echoes of the Past Episode, Entanglement Episode, Gates of Maguuma Episode, Point of No Return Episode, Seeds of Truth Episode, Tangled Paths Episode, The Dragon's Reach, Part 1 Episode, The Dragon's Reach, Part 2 Completed! - While this is PVE content a few of the encounters can be challenging if your build isn't very good.
Lion's Arch Exterminator - Requires a few tricky jumps, and to complete one of the Lion's Arch jumping puzzles
The Fractal ones (14 in total): Carrier Cacophony, Fancy Footwork, Flawless Fins Foil Foes, Holo-Hornpipe, Hop, Skip, and Jump, Horrik's Horror, If We Only Had Marshmallows, Open Grave, Out of Cluck, Shockwave Skipper, Subject 6 Deep-Sixer, Take a Bow, The Floor Is Lava. Don't Step In It., Weapons Tester - medium because they requires a group, some of them are only available for a short time, and some require you to get a group to want to do it.
Go for the Gold - Requires lots of creative jumps in Silverwastes (and a guide) (can't be done at the same time as the JP)
Retrospective Runaround - A jumping puzzle in Silverwastes with several challenging sections
The Be-All and the End-All - Kill all 4 different bosses in the Silverwastes, can be time consuming.
Tequatl the Sunless - requires you to do a difficult achievement to dodge Tequatls tail swipe. It is completely random whether you get it or not.

Hard (8 in total)
Living Season 2 meta achievements: Echoes of the Past Mastery, Entanglement Mastery, Gates of Maguuma Mastery, Point of No Return Mastery, Seeds of Truth Mastery, Tangled Paths Mastery, The Dragon's Reach, Part 1 Mastery, The Dragon's Reach, Part 2 Mastery - Hard because many of the achievements are very hard, some are nigh impossible. You do not need to do any of the LS2 meta achievements if you do all the easy and medium masteries.

Stay away (6 in total)
The Emperor's New Wardrobe - It is like 500 gold + other resources to finish this one
Ambrite Weapon Collection - extremely time consuming
Ascended Accoutrement - extremely expensive
Bioluminescence - very time consuming
Fractal Master - mama mia
Gold Fractal Master - oh no, just don't

*I listed the great jungle worm masteries under easy. If you find an organized group to do this event these masteries are easy. The event itself is diffucult however and is not possible to do with people randomly showing up. The guild RnT organizes this event twice per day (on US realms). The event that is in the evenings for US time/morning for EU time was always successful in my experience, while the event in US mornings/EU evenings NEVER succeeded.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 22, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

this is a Good Post™

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Papal Mainframe posted:

My two immediate goals are getting enough MPs to finish the Tyrian masteries, and gearing one character in Ascended for high level fractals and raids and such.

Only need ascended weapons and properly statted exotic gear to start raiding.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love you ineptitude

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks for the info, that will help a lot!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd actually like to try GW2 raiding, but the only problem is that I play Mesmer. Obviously raid teams really want a Mesmer, but they want one Mesmer, they probably already have one, and even if they don't I'm told it's a pretty tough role to play in a raid setting. At least, that's what I heard last time I played which was some time last year.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Proper raid teams want two mesmers - one for each party of 5. One of the two typically also doubles as the tank on fights that require it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah yeah, it was the Chronotank thing that was clearly not a good fit for a new GW2 raider. Good to know there's hypothetically another Mesmer slot and that's probably just all about keeping quickness/alacrity up.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ineptitude posted:

Elementalists can overload their attunement
Guardians got a bow
Rangers can be a healer

Just a few examples amongst many.

Elementalists have attunements. Tempests have attunements.
Guardians have virtues. Dragonhunters have virtues.
Rangers have pets that they cannot disable. Druids have pets that they cannot disable.

And.
Mesmers have clones and phantasms. Chronomancers have clones and phantasms.
Warriors have adrenaline. Berzerkers have adrenaline.
Thiefs have iniative and steal. Daredevils have initiative and steal.
Revenants have legends and energy. Heralds have legends and energy.
Necromancers have life steal and minions. Reapers have life steal and minions.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Speaking of endgame mesmer: I got chronomancer mastery like halfway completed. Not really prioritizing mastery points while I farm up to craft my first exotic set and moseyin through the story missions. Should I bite the bullet and learn chono with half masteres because I'm hella comfortable with my subpar condition build?

Also should I prioritize Viper as my first set or minstrel as my first set? I know, year of our Lord 2017 nothing matters, just play, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

Speaking of endgame mesmer: I got chronomancer mastery like halfway completed. Not really prioritizing mastery points while I farm up to craft my first exotic set and moseyin through the story missions. Should I bite the bullet and learn chono with half masteres because I'm hella comfortable with my subpar condition build?

Also should I prioritize Viper as my first set or minstrel as my first set? I know, year of our Lord 2017 nothing matters, just play, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure Chronomancer can do its Quickness/Alacrity job without Minstrel's, so I'd go with whatever you use for damage. Maybe you need one piece of something with boon duration (I usually see Commander's suggested but I dunno)? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

• Locked thread