Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
The looting system seems strange. My team and I usually drop, loot, find a few rifles some basic optics and sidearms and then....

then it feels like the smartest move is to, once you have some tier 2 vests and maybe helmets, gently caress off to the boonies and wait around for everyone else to kill themselves. Hope some shithead with good gear rolls by but if they don't you're still on nearly square footing for endgame.

Seems like an artificial time-sink but I can't quite describe why. The early game seems either too long or too lacking in mechanics when you're not engaged in a firefight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
You always have the choice of dropping at one of the big hotspots and fighting for your loot instead.

I think if your sole aim is to place as highly as possible, that strategy is probably optimal. It's what I tend to find myself gravitating towards, too, but it can get boring so I mix it up by deliberately jumping in busy places from time to time and just seeing how many kills I can get. Some of the tensest and most awesome times in this game come from landing at the school, scrambling to get a weapon, and then stalking the halls and picking off everyone else who landed there one by one. And if you come out victorious, you're looted to the gills and have set yourself up really nicely for late game.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Bardeh posted:

You always have the choice of dropping at one of the big hotspots and fighting for your loot instead.

I think if your sole aim is to place as highly as possible, that strategy is probably optimal. It's what I tend to find myself gravitating towards, too, but it can get boring so I mix it up by deliberately jumping in busy places from time to time and just seeing how many kills I can get. Some of the tensest and most awesome times in this game come from landing at the school, scrambling to get a weapon, and then stalking the halls and picking off everyone else who landed there one by one. And if you come out victorious, you're looted to the gills and have set yourself up really nicely for late game.

There is definitely the 'biggest goldfish at the end of a long weekend' strategy where you gobble up other idiots gear. Its fun but its a gamble whereas you can place generally much higher with the previous strategy. Gear is important but the difference between vests and helmets isn't nearly as important as communiction, shot placement and strategy. Which, don't get me wrong, I love but it leaves the early game looting side feeling like a countdown clock until the game begins.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If I get bored of being terrible at sneaky snaking my way across the map, I like to adopt the strategy of charging towards the nearest gun shots and interfering in firefights. I'm terrible at that too but it's more fun.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Gunplay more dynamic than peaking behind trees and firing semi-auto would be nice too.

Bipods, more guns, etc.

Still, game is a lot of fun and shows great promise.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Roki B posted:

Gunplay more dynamic than peaking behind trees and firing semi-auto would be nice too.

Bipods, more guns, etc.

Still, game is a lot of fun and shows great promise.

You mean like throwing smoke and using the landscape to move around them while they still think you are behind the tree?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Smoke is kind of 100% useless because it renders clientside, so it might be blowing one way on your screen and another on your opponent's. Its fun to throw in enclosed spaces or as a distraction but for tactical purposes it doesn't really work

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 20, 2017

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I'm trying to say make the guns more like Arma while preserving the feel of the game

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
I want to be able to collect gold rings.

These gold rings could potentially act as armor of some sort - maybe getting knocked off of you as you get hit? Also they need to have full physics computed server-side.

I'm also 100% for the berries.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Twist And Pout! posted:

I want to be able to collect gold rings.

These gold rings could potentially act as armor of some sort - maybe getting knocked off of you as you get hit? Also they need to have full physics computed server-side.

I'm also 100% for the berries.

with loop da loops for the dacia

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Played a game where I found a 8x scope, sniper silencer, 4x scope, assault rifle silencer, pistol silencer, smg silencer, level 3 backpack, level 2 helmet, and level 2 vest in the first area I dropped.

Only gun I found was the p1911 and 12 rounds. Used those on a guy who jumped into the same complex as me. Still made top ten with my attachments and empty pistol.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I have been collecting vehicle incidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26B5Avi4Uag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19t0dBGsEQ4

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Berries are the future of this game. Imagine sitting in a bush and a guy comes up and starts munching on your cover. Also, they would have to cover the ghillie suit in berries that are edible.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Berries won't happen because it's unrealistic, nourishing fruits don't grow in eastern European hell holes. It's already stretching immersion by having the sun shine.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Skoll posted:

I am glad I made this terrible thread take notice of me over my opinions.

Streaming is still dumb and your custom game is probably going to be dumber.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a way to buy specific items? I opened my first crate and got some lovely camo pants.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a way to buy specific items? I opened my first crate and got some lovely camo pants.

yeah for cash on the Steam marketplace, where you can also sell your shitties and dupes

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is the initial safe zone randomly placed or is there any sort of bias towards the map center? I've never seen it in quadrant 2 of the map, but It's been as far south as the middle of the island at times.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Is the initial safe zone randomly placed or is there any sort of bias towards the map center? I've never seen it in quadrant 2 of the map, but It's been as far south as the middle of the island at times.

Not that I've seen. I usually break the top 15 and the final area is usually a goddamn field. I've seen the initial gravitate towards the river and then suddenly shift towards the harbor.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think it's randomized but it might have something to do with the plane's route

wait until you get a game finishing on Military Island, it owns

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Yesterday I've had a game where the plane flew horizontally across the map right over the military base island, the initial circle was placed on the mainland on the west of the map.

There were 40 people left alive after the first contraction, most dying outside the play zone. I nearly made it in myself :(.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Best final area I've gotten was in the quandary with teams of four. People sniping each other left and right- very nerve wracking.

I just played a game where I got a bunch of kills and was feeling really sassy- got to the final ten and got stuck on a rock in the ruins. I even tried shooting a bunch to try to get people to come fight me so I could at least go out guns blazing but no one came. The blue eventually got me :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it really does feel like games are weighted towards ending in a big open space, though

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I've yet to see a final circle that wasn't a field with very little cover. I've cracked the top 5 a few times but it seems like whoever is lucky enough to be there first is always the winner. I'd almost rather the last guy be hiding in the toilet with a shotgun because at least that's more or less a coin flip, where as getting sniped by people I have no hope of seeing is guaranteed death.

Speaking of being unable to see people, I installed the adaptive sharpening and clarity shaders and it's much easier to spot dudes in the distance, at the cost of some strange artifacting around my character's beard. Worth it.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I've yet to see a final circle that wasn't a field with very little cover. I've cracked the top 5 a few times but it seems like whoever is lucky enough to be there first is always the winner. I'd almost rather the last guy be hiding in the toilet with a shotgun because at least that's more or less a coin flip, where as getting sniped by people I have no hope of seeing is guaranteed death.

Speaking of being unable to see people, I installed the adaptive sharpening and clarity shaders and it's much easier to spot dudes in the distance, at the cost of some strange artifacting around my character's beard. Worth it.

Had a squad game end with my team and the other team trapped in separate buildings due to how the blue shrunk

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The map is huge, flat and empty.

If they had a smaller, danser map the circle system would probably be more interesting.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Sweet, I will submit an application once it's available.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

the map isn't flat, and it being empty is sort of the whole point

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
An all suburb or city map would own. Would cut down on a lot of prone camping on a hill top waiting for someone to cross and probably encourage some epic building to buiding firefights.

Although I know in my heart everyone would just hold down one room or floor of a building with shotguns, I can stil dream.

How mod friendly is this game supposed to be?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Skoll posted:

How mod friendly is this game supposed to be?

i'd say 'not at all'

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I would like to see berries in this game that you can eat for a slight health boost

Because I need even more incentive to live in a bush while people die all around me.

Bardeh posted:

I think if your sole aim is to place as highly as possible, that strategy is probably optimal. It's what I tend to find myself gravitating towards, too, but it can get boring so I mix it up by deliberately jumping in busy places from time to time and just seeing how many kills I can get long it takes me to get beat to death with a frying pan or get UMP'd while I'm loading grandad's pistol. Some of the tensest and most awesome times worst moments in this game come from landing at the school, scrambling to get a weapon, and then stalking the halls and picking off everyone else who landed there one by one. And if you come out victorious, you're looted to the gills and have set yourself up really nicely for late game. getting shotgunned in the face.

I agree, but had to make some minor edits based on my experiences.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 20, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Skoll posted:

I love when people double down on their misunderstandings and loneliness

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skoll posted:

This isn't the man Twitch streamer Mr. Rogers taught you to be

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I was driving a dacia with a full squad and I jumped across the river using a rock near Rozhok and kept going.

I was going for the crash into the water then seal team into the city strat but that worked too.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Plane path and final circle location have nothing to do with each other, but I think that it makes for a fun dynamic in the game that sometimes just totally fucks people with the circle.

A few nights ago we had a team game where all twelve of the remaining teams were running into the circle. We were dropped W->E on the military base island, and the circle ended up in the very NW corner of the map. The teams on foot (including ours) that were just panic running from south to north would all crabs-in-a-bucket machine gun anyone driving in a car, and the last five people were all just packed on the SE edge of the circle.

It just kept going more and more NW, so every time the new circle would pop you would just lose throngs of people trying to run across open fields, getting shot in the back, and then the guys who were doing the shooting would die to the circle because they spent time shooting instead of running.

The match was absurdly intense and totally unfair to the entire server as a whole, but it was a blast to play because every second of healing, shooting, and running counted, and any imbalance in those by a small margin would get you killed.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

8x

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

I was driving a dacia with a full squad and I jumped across the river using a rock near Rozhok and kept going.

I was going for the crash into the water then seal team into the city strat but that worked too.

Related tip: some of the shallow parts of the rivers can just be forged with a Dacia. Just boost through the water.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Skoll posted:

An all suburb or city map would own. Would cut down on a lot of prone camping on a hill top waiting for someone to cross and probably encourage some epic building to buiding firefights.

You'll be happy to know that's exactly what they are doing with the new maps. Well, one of them at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
How can you tell what direction you're being shot at from? I've noticed several people saying that if you hear the pop in one or the other ear, the shot is coming from in front of or behind, and if you hear it in both, it's from the left or right. Is there any truth to this or is it just another example of people assuming that features from ArmA are in this game?

The sounds overall seem very inconsistent. I've been shot point blank from behind by a shotgun that made no sound, run over by cars that sounded a half a kilometer away, been duped into thinking someone was in the same house as me when they were actually closing doors in the neighboring house, and trying to judge the direction and distance of gunfire is an exercise in frustration

• Locked thread