Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Burkion posted:

It is a spoiler for the fact that this won't be a one episode gag, like many are hoping.

This is the real deal. This is reality.

Where was this mentioned? I just caught up with the episodes and haven't kept up with the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

zelah posted:

Where was this mentioned? I just caught up with the episodes and haven't kept up with the thread.

The episode descriptions for the next three were leaked a little while ago.

After that, people found hidden images of the thing that we all pretty much know now. A fair amount of people thought it was going to be a gag, but the toy catalog just further proves that not to be the case.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I like the american dub beerus better than the japanese one, although they're both good, but the american whis isn't as perfectly aloof as the japanese one.

I think Japanese Beerus is better because he seems to have more range, going from a similar voice to the American one to a really deep, soft and icy voice that sounds terrifying whenever he's really mad. American Beerus just sounds gruff and growly 24/7 without any range. American Whis won me over during the ramen tasting scene though, it's a great fit for the character.

Regarding the spoilers: if this was any other writing team coming up with the spoiler plot point I'd throw up my hands and say "gently caress it, this franchise has jumped the shark, I'm done", but the writing for Super has been insanely good for what it's working with so I'm eager to see how it plays out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm still expecting Toei to pull our legs with that one. It can't be straight THAT.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

I'm still expecting Toei to pull our legs with that one. It can't be straight THAT.

Never attribute to malice what can more easily be explained with incompetence.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

There's just one fear lingering...I will be legit pissed if Frieza becomes part of the main cast and is New Vegeta. Then Old Vegeta will be demoted to Piccolo, and Piccolo will be demoted to, I dunno, Yamcha.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Goku's new friend is Jiren

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

zelah posted:

Something that was confirmed last week has been double confirmed and while it was dumb last week this somehow made it absolutely unbearably dumb as though anything has changed regarding it at all.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It's a level beyond Dumb. We call it Dumb 2.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

extra row of teeth posted:

There's just one fear lingering...I will be legit pissed if Frieza becomes part of the main cast and is New Vegeta. Then Old Vegeta will be demoted to Piccolo, and Piccolo will be demoted to, I dunno, Yamcha.

Hit was already starting to do that anyway.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

frieza's being tortured by happy teddy bears and faeries on the regular. i doubt he's gonna see earthling life and say "well gee maybe i should give up this all this murder"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Regarding the spoilers: if this was any other writing team coming up with the spoiler plot point I'd throw up my hands and say "gently caress it, this franchise has jumped the shark, I'm done", but the writing for Super has been insanely good for what it's working with so I'm eager to see how it plays out.

The thing about Dragonball is that its been in a state of suspension above the shark for more than 20 years at this point, at least since it turned out Goku is actually an alien, they can really do whatever the gently caress they want and noone will bat an eye.

Having said that, oh man, looking at reddit the salt over this twist makes the Dead Sea look like a fresh mountain spring.

Personally I think Frieza won't get much more of a look in after this arc. Either he'll get erased from existence after pushing his luck one last time or he'll learn to leave well enough alone so long as his lot in the otherworld isn't so nightmarish.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's basically no redemptive arc for that character that isn't dumb as gently caress and completely show-breaking so I really hope they're not going to go there. I have that much trust in the writers/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

There's basically no redemptive arc for that character that isn't dumb as gently caress and completely show-breaking so I really hope they're not going to go there. I have that much trust in the writers/

Why does he need to redeem himself? Beerus is a much worse monster and they are friends with him and don't want him to reform himself. Buu has blown way up more planets and its not like anyone is trying to punish him.

As long as Frieza doesn't try to conquer Earth specifically I don't think they really care what he does with the rest of the universe.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Why does he need to redeem himself? Beerus is a much worse monster and they are friends with him and don't want him to reform himself. Buu has blown way up more planets and its not like anyone is trying to punish him.

As long as Frieza doesn't try to conquer Earth specifically I don't think they really care what he does with the rest of the universe.

Beerus blows up planets as part of his divinely appointed duty, just in a lazy, fickle and inconsistent way and Buu literally separated into two entities, the evil destructive side who wanted to blow up planets being quite firmly punished via Spirit Bomb disintegration. Frieza does it for the sheer pleasure of causing pain and destruction and has never once shown a single once of regret or remorse for his actions. The Frieza revisionism has to stop.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Beerus isn't a much worse monster.

Beerus does his job, which to us is morally unjustifiable but he's also a literal God who is beyond the confines human morality. If he doesn't do it, he'll be killed and replaced by something or someone who will do it and perhaps more wantonly.

He's a dick about it at times, but he's not monster and we have no insight into why he has destroyed the planets he does, even though he appears aloof about it. We have seen that he can and will take his duty seriously when need be though.

Freeza is dog poo poo with no justification for what he does.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'But I want to see Frieza be forced to babysit Pan-chan and get into all kinds of crazy japes which he grumbles about but secretly you can see his icy heart start to melt :allears: :allears:'

No. Stop writing fanfic about ultra-Hitler.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Beerus does his job, which to us is morally unjustifiable but he's also a literal God who is beyond the confines human morality. If he doesn't do it, he'll be killed and replaced by something or someone who will do it and perhaps more wantonly.

All of those justifications are poo poo and don't make it any better.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I just want to see Frieza to screw Universe 7 somehow. That's all that I ask Toei.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

havenwaters posted:

I just want to see Frieza to screw Universe 7 somehow. That's all that I ask Toei.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I can kinda see a redemption arc for Frost while contrasting him with Frieza, but yeah, I don't see Frieza himself getting any redemption.

My impression is that a large part of the reason for this is just to remind people again that Goku is kind of the baddie in this arc after a couple months of him just messing around with his buds. Plus there's room for comedy by forcing Frieza to co-operate with people he hates the poo poo out of and vice versa.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

multijoe posted:

'But I want to see Frieza be forced to babysit Pan-chan and get into all kinds of crazy japes which he grumbles about but secretly you can see his icy heart start to melt :allears: :allears:'

No. Stop writing fanfic about ultra-Hitler.

I wouldn't choose to make a moral stand about forgiving Frieza for being dog poo poo by saying he's ultra-Hitler, considering one of these people is not real and the other was a real life genocidal dictator but you do you.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

One thing to keep in mind is that Saiyan-era Vegeta was pretty much irredeemable too, wasn't he? So spoilerguy could be redeemed in a similar way if they handled it very well and over a long period of time. I seriously hope not though, there are two resident grumpy-Gus former bad guys who deserve the airtime (Vegeta and Piccolo, even though Vegeta's growth as a character is arguably complete).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

multijoe posted:

Beerus blows up planets as part of his divinely appointed duty, just in a lazy, fickle and inconsistent way and Buu literally separated into two entities, the evil destructive side who wanted to blow up planets being quite firmly punished via Spirit Bomb disintegration. Frieza does it for the sheer pleasure of causing pain and destruction and has never once shown a single once of regret or remorse for his actions. The Frieza revisionism has to stop.

He's a dick about it at times, but he's not monster and we have no insight into why he has destroyed the planets he does, even though he appears aloof about it. We have seen that he can and will take his duty seriously when need be though.

Freeza is dog poo poo with no justification for what he does.

My point isn't that Frieza is good and can be redeemed, my point is the Z-Fighters are a selfish amoral bunch who do not mind hanging out with genocidal killers. Half of them are genocidal killers themselves, and the other half are a collection of assassins/pedophiles/thieves. Zeno destroyed a planet by accident last time Goku went to go visit him and he didn't give a poo poo.

So long as Frieza doesn't interfere with the Z-fighters interests they should not care about his morality.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I wouldn't choose to make a moral stand about forgiving Frieza for being dog poo poo by saying he's ultra-Hitler, considering one of these people is not real and the other was a real life genocidal dictator but you do you.

It's okay to compare fiction characters to real life personalities and in particular comparing Frieza to Hitler is pretty common, even TFS do so in Kai abridged. But really it would just annoy me to undercut the biggest most unapologetic piece of poo poo in the series to fill a role already being covered by two other former villains, both of whom had far better setups for their villainy and eventual redemption, just to do some twee slice of life antics.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Outside of the context of a joke, it's a bad comparison.

It's arguable if it's a good joke but that's subjective.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Frieza is gonna join the Galactic Patrol and be assigned as Jaco's partner

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rutibex posted:

My point isn't that Frieza is good and can be redeemed, my point is the Z-Fighters are a selfish amoral bunch who do not mind hanging out with genocidal killers. Half of them are genocidal killers themselves, and the other half are a collection of assassins/pedophiles/thieves. Zeno destroyed a planet by accident last time Goku went to go visit him and he didn't give a poo poo.

So long as Frieza doesn't interfere with the Z-fighters interests they should not care about his morality.

I think you're overstating the case slightly. Tien never killed anyone as far as we know and then explicitly renounced the Crane school, Piccolo is a separate entity to his father and again is never depicted killing any innocents, Yamcha was an incompetent comedy bandit and Vegeta, the only guy who actually did a good number of very bad things, had the longest and most drawn out redemption arc of any character in the series and was given extensive context for why he was originally such a rotten guy. Ironically though, Roshi is probably the one with the strongest moral core, at least outside the realm of sexual violence, and given the course of recent events it would be cool to see him as Goku's mentor again rebuking him for his irresponsible quest for and use of power and reminding him of the consequences of his actions. Given his last appearance though, I'm not living in hope.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Should have brought Cell back instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vegeta killed literally billions and laughed about doing it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Freeza's going to spend eternity babysitting Bra and having Bulma make him weed her garden.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

He's a dick about it at times, but he's not monster and we have no insight into why he has destroyed the planets he does, even though he appears aloof about it.

Yeah we do, he destroys planets because their food isn't good enough or they didn't give him the most comfortable pillow.

Lets not beat around the bush, Beerus is pretty much worse than Frieza, no amount of 'But Gods!' will change that. He's selfish and arbitrary in the extreme with next to no sense of temperance or self control, he exploits his immense power for personal gratification first and foremost. Heck, the series even shits on the idea that there is some kind of unknowable, divine reasoning for his destruction when Kibito Kai asks Old Kai if this is part a cycle where destruction begats creation and Old Kai is like 'Not really, he's just an rear end in a top hat'.

We tend to forget this because we've been treated to a lot of funny scenes of him lazing by the pool spinning straws in his mouth.

Anyway, its not really redemption, its more Frieza forgoing his endless quest for vengeance in favor some other selfish outcome that results in his story being put to rest permanently.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm excited for life to dunk on history's greatest monster freiza again

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I mostly just wanna see Frieza feeling super humiliated that he has to play nice with Goku and friends and there's nothing he can do about it lest he piss off Beerus.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

One thing to keep in mind is that Saiyan-era Vegeta was pretty much irredeemable too, wasn't he? So spoilerguy could be redeemed in a similar way if they handled it very well and over a long period of time. I seriously hope not though, there are two resident grumpy-Gus former bad guys who deserve the airtime (Vegeta and Piccolo, even though Vegeta's growth as a character is arguably complete).

i don't think anyone needs to be redeemed in dragon ball, they just have to want to accept redemption. goku and crew seem to be fine with just about anybody as long as they stop being murderous assholes. problem is, frieza's already been shown the lifestyle of peace and love living on earth could (theoretically) afford him. it's his punishment! if he comes to life he's not gonna think "ok i guess i'll chill here on earth next to majin buu" even though goku would totally go along with that. frieza just isn't interested in that sort of life and can't wait to get back to killing (and making himself immortal)

thank you for reading my brief psychological profile of freeza

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

multijoe posted:

I think you're overstating the case slightly. Tien never killed anyone as far as we know and then explicitly renounced the Crane school, Piccolo is a separate entity to his father and again is never depicted killing any innocents, Yamcha was an incompetent comedy bandit and Vegeta, the only guy who actually did a good number of very bad things, had the longest and most drawn out redemption arc of any character in the series and was given extensive context for why he was originally such a rotten guy. Ironically though, Roshi is probably the one with the strongest moral core, at least outside the realm of sexual violence, and given the course of recent events it would be cool to see him as Goku's mentor again rebuking him for his irresponsible quest for and use of power and reminding him of the consequences of his actions. Given his last appearance though, I'm not living in hope.

Emperor Pilaf had dungeons full of skeletons, they are fine hanging out with him now. Uulong captured little girls for sexual slavery, now a valued member of the team. Launch robs banks for fun. Beerus destroys planets for annoying him, cosmic being or not thats monstrous as hell.

All Gokus good friends.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 20, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The cruelest outcome is Frieza ends up as the new God of Destruction due to impressing Zeno.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Condiv posted:

goku and crew seem to be fine with just about anybody as long as they stop being murderous assholes.

I think you're right, but even if he somehow did decide to settle down I don't think Frieza would ever be accepted by the Goku crew because his crimes specifically involved the Saiyans. While you can argue that the Z fighters are a fairly amoral group (because they definitely are), even within the realm of "what killing is cool" Frieza would never be accepted because he wiped out Goku/Vegeta's entire race. It wasn't just his bodycount, but how specifically the body count affects them.

Could you imagine Vegeta feeling anything other than frothing hatred for Frieza, like, ever? If they do go into the Battle Royale I wouldn't be surprised if Vegeta goes into a blind rage, forgets that his entire loving universe is on the line, and just attacks Frieza instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frieza would never be accepted because he wiped out Goku/Vegeta's entire race. It wasn't just his bodycount, but how specifically the body count affects them.

Several members of the current crew murdered or murdered the murder other members of the crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
okay but the real reason is that freeza is not going to suddenly decided to stop trying to kill goku and everyone else on earth and using a like forty minute tournament to rewrite that part of his character would be ridiculous

again I don't actually think they're going to try that because I don't think the writers are idiots

• Locked thread