Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I really liked it! It reminded me of a couple of the more creative Big Finish ones - and I think there were some light jabs at audio drama storytelling conventions, like lots of Nardolle's exposition to the Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Andrew_1985 posted:

I was really loving the episode when they got to the scientists, but christ, that ending. And then they woke up!/And then the computer game ended :< Absolute amateur hour bullshit. Like, that's how you end a lovely story as a kid.

The simulation Doctor didn't wake up. He sent the email, but then he was horribly murdered or whatever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Man there are a lot of dead Peter Capaldis.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

My inner programmer was yelling that the PRNG would only be generating identical numbers if you cloned it across threads instead of sharing it or having unique number generators but uh, maybe the aliens are just bad programmers.

That was a little mediocre, but as a set up episode for the three parter, I can forgive it that it didn't do much more than set up the premise. Hopefully despite the writer, next week will be stronger.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Keisse J posted:

but uh, maybe the aliens are just bad programmers.

I did get a laugh out of,"They're capable of building utterly seamless recreations of reality down to the atom, to the point that the NPCs are sentient.... but then they cheaped out and just made every npc access a singular RNG across the entire simulation."

Thought it was a good episode, but only because the slow start felt somewhat justified by the reveal, and I enjoyed that they didn't wimp out on making Nardole, Bill and the Doctor simulations as well. I do think it may be the weakest episode of the season so far, but still a good continuation of the generally high quality. That said....

Wheat Loaf posted:

(I believe next week is this season's Peter Harness episode).

:pray:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
"I'm doing what everyone does when the world's in danger - I'm calling The Doctor!" was a very good line.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Interesting that the Big Finish sale focused on the Master than the A-plot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if their simulation included the Silence? Would they know if it did?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Jerusalem posted:

Thought it was a good episode, but only because the slow start felt somewhat justified by the reveal, and I enjoyed that they didn't wimp out on making Nardole, Bill and the Doctor simulations as well.

If it had been any Doctor but 12, he'd have been real and clevered his way out. I like
Capaldi as the Doctor that horrible, dark, permanent things happen to.

I loved the pope walking in on Bill's date right after she said they had nothing to feel guilty about. :allears:

Murderion fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 21, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if their simulation included the Silence? Would they know if it did?

One programmer kept getting called into the office to be yelled at for not doing any work, but then they'd forget what work they were mad at him for not doing.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jerusalem posted:

I did get a laugh out of,"They're capable of building utterly seamless recreations of reality down to the atom, to the point that the NPCs are sentient.... but then they cheaped out and just made every npc access a singular RNG across the entire simulation."

I always find it really embarrassing whenever Moffatt tries to write about anything to do with computers. "I'm The Doctor and I saved them - to the hard drive!" still makes me cringe.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I thought it was a fine episode. We kind of knew it was Missy in the box, but I'm happy they fleshed it out. It would be stupid to think they could keep us in suspense when so many hints were dropped. Also liked the twist at the end. It's a good set-up for a two-parter. I actually think it would have worked better as the lead in for the introduction of this season's big bad, but I think we have confirmed that the Cybermen are the season finale two-parter. Perhaps they are related? Computer simulations would be up their alley.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Interesting that the Big Finish sale focused on the Master than the A-plot.

The Master's right at the start and throwing up things like Memory Lane would be a pretty big hint.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody else having a problem with Big Finish's site? It keeps logging me out and no matter what page I go to it just gives a(n internal) 404 page saying they've recently redesigned their website and the page can't be found anymore.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Anybody else having a problem with Big Finish's site? It keeps logging me out and no matter what page I go to it just gives a(n internal) 404 page saying they've recently redesigned their website and the page can't be found anymore.

I was about to say "nope, it was working fine for me"...but sometime in the last hour or so its started having exactly the problem you're describing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I'm glad it's not just me, I just hope it didn't gently caress up my purchase since it happened while the payment was going through.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Half way through I thought I was going to hate this episode and then it turned out to be pretty good. I appreciated the line about the suicides not being the natural reaction also since I know that if I discovered I was a fake person my reaction would be to try to break the simulation since I'm an rear end in a top hat that way.

Missy in the vault is kind of a bland answer to "what's in there?" but I liked the reasons why so I can't complain too much.

I don't think I'd mind blind Doctor until he regenerates. As long as they don't go over the top with it and just use the situation to give the Doctor some new challenges for his last few stories.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'm glad it's not just me, I just hope it didn't gently caress up my purchase since it happened while the payment was going through.

The error is severe enough that I can't even use their app to listen to stuff I have downloaded to my phone. Yikes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't mind Blind 12 because I've always liked his sonic Raybans and how he gets to use them along with his screwdriver to bumble around.

Murderion posted:

I loved the pope walking in on Bill's date right after she said they had nothing to feel guilty about. :allears:

Ya that part was real good, as was Bills reaction to it and subsequent request to the Doctor to never send the Pope to her bedroom.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
This was my favorite episode this season, and I'm hoping the storyline pays off.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Damnit, are they finally cracking down on people accessing iPlayer by VPN? Nothing's playing when I try.

EDIT: Naturally, the moment I post this, it works. Nevermind!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
While watching this, I thought that in atmosphere and execution, this was one of the most engrossing Doctor Who stories since Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone.

Yes, I know that this plot has been used before, I know that there are holes in the plot, but while watching it, I totally believed it and really felt like I was as scared and confused as the characters. I don't know what makes an episode immersive like that, but this one did it for me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Well that was pretty good! At this point I'm just dreading the house of cards of consistently good episodes to fall over, which I'm especially worried about since we're getting into the half of the season with things I'm directly interested in.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I will say this episode has the best version of the "I'm the doctor, look me up" thing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Extremis gifs - click to view

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I plan approximately 5 years in advance; this'd be some time in June or July :v:

I hear you...I live so far into the future that I'm often grateful to discover what my far more competent past self has been up to, in terms of 'the moment has been prepared for' when a deadline does arrive!

I might be recovered by then, if exam papers that aren't, in their entirety, 'The first thing you have to keep in mind about Rome was that they had a Republic' are the exception rather than the rule in this interminable pile. A day out at Gunwharf or the Mary Rose is becoming more and more attractive by the second.

Jerusalem -- I've had more than a few essays that waffled for a sentence about 'the time of the monarchy' and then plunged straight into the Gracchi, as if really nothing of importance happened between 509 and 133 B.C. Oh except that Hannibal guy had some elephants.

Speaking of elephants lumbering over the Alps -- iPlayer's been naughty the past few days:

Cleretic posted:

Damnit, are they finally cracking down on people accessing iPlayer by VPN? Nothing's playing when I try.

EDIT: Naturally, the moment I post this, it works. Nevermind!

Licence holder here -- iPlayer won't work on Firefox this morning, but played ok on IE. Looks as if it's been an issue for a couple of days (combined wth Virgin broadband throwing a rod and reducing our internet speed to dial-up speed, it's been a magical week to work from the house).

Strange little episode...baddies who open, but don't move, their mouths to speak..hmmm. Ah well, if the Doctor was caught in a computer simulation, at least he didn't get his foot caught in a railway switch this time :v:

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 21, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
For a lot of that episode I was saying to myself: Bill's outfit is really nice.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I liked her jacket/coat a lot.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
The Doctor shouldn't have told her to arrange that date, he should have sent her out to get that jacket.

The world might end tomorrow, some things are important :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Finish's website seems to be up and running properly again.

Ms Boods posted:

I liked her jacket/coat a lot.

Yeah I really dig her look, costuming and hair etc always has a lot of style and variety.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I laughed a lot harder than I should have at the dudes freaking out about the Doctor's Fatality Index count

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if they're still attributing every Time War Dalek and every Time Lord to him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

I laughed a lot harder than I should have at the dudes freaking out about the Doctor's Fatality Index count

The one guy trying to maintain his cool then just turning and cheesing it was great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I can't figure out if the Doctor basically told Bill to go out with Penny because he wants her to have a nice time, or if he did it because he decided he has to improbably crash her real date, too.

I mean either one's great, but for very different reasons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jivjov posted:

I wonder if they're still attributing every Time War Dalek and every Time Lord to him.

Gallifrey is in hiding at the end of the Universe, as far as anyone knows the planet still burned.

Plus the Time War is a fix time-locked series of events, and at the very least the Daleks all killed themselves at the end with friendly-fire because of The Doctor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I didn't say the pipes in my bedroom, I said the pope's in my bedroom.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just encountered a Facebook commenter holding up the Zygon 2-parter as "brilliant" and "the best Doctor Who has been". And I just wonder what show they've actually been watching.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

I just encountered a Facebook commenter holding up the Zygon 2-parter as "brilliant" and "the best Doctor Who has been". And I just wonder what show they've actually been watching.

it wasn't me, the zygon two parter is worse than that forest episode

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I waffle on which message is worse. "Be scared of immigrants/refugees" and "hey kids, don't take your medicine" are both pretty lovely...but the latter targets one of the most vulnerable groups of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jivjov posted:

I waffle on which message is worse. "Be scared of immigrants/refugees" and "hey kids, don't take your medicine" are both pretty lovely...but the latter targets one of the most vulnerable groups of people

The first came out during the middle of a massive ongoing immigration issue. That's bonus points of terrible for timing.

• Locked thread