Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

the unknown is always creepier than the known.

Trying to put the genie back in the bottle and pretend like you've never seen a Xenomorph before is definitely not creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You guys are putting a lot of emphasis on David creating the xenomorph form even though we've seen Deacons evolve spontaneously in Prometheus.

I also don't really like the unnecessary tie-in with David planting the eggs on the derelict, but it really doesn't demystify the xenomorphs that much, the black goo and its derivative horrors could still be spread about the galaxy, particularly if it wasn't the engineers themselves who created it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i kinda wanna see how ridley explains the eggs being on the derelict because it'll at least be good for a laugh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Trying to put the genie back in the bottle and pretend like you've never seen a Xenomorph before is definitely not creepy.

seeing them and knowing their origin are very different things.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

The most evil being in the universe is a thing we humans created. That's creepier to me than Xenomorphs being spread all over the place.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, but that's the great thing about horror anyway - different stuff is scary for different people.

Also I never saw Aliens as "evil", but that's kinda another discussion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

seeing them and knowing their origin are very different things.

The great thing is that origin of the Xenomorphs is just a humorous aside in this movie. There's a scene, for example, where fake Ripley discovers that H.R. Giger's grand vision is roughly the same as an android's notebook scribblings of what sex must be like.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I think it's weird that the derelict/space jockey being thousands of years old is taken as fact based on the use of the word "fossilized" by some stupid space trucking hick. Dallas wasn't a scientist, how could he possibly have been able to date the jockey? For all he knows, that's the jockeys natural state.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The great thing is that origin of the Xenomorphs is just a humorous aside in this movie.

that isn't great. it also makes no sense.

Plavski posted:

I think it's weird that the derelict/space jockey being thousands of years old is taken as fact based on the use of the word "fossilized" by some stupid space trucking hick. Dallas wasn't a scientist, how could he possibly have been able to date the jockey? For all he knows, that's the jockeys natural state.

looked pretty fossilized to me. and i love dinosaurs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, look at the Engineers in this film. They looked pretty crispy, despite only being there for 10 years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

that isn't great. it also makes no sense.

It's both great and makes perfect sense. Checkmate

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The only scientist in Alien was an android who was a huge liar. Nothing anybody says in that movie is reliable space science or whatever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Plavski posted:

For what it's worth, it was intentionally designed to look old, and the film's script outright calls it fossilized. I don't mean Dallas' dialogue, I mean the script's description of the Space Jockey prop. Ridley Scott even acknowledged the Derelict's age in interviews when Prometheus came out.

Could a future movie make it so David crashes the Derelict literally days before 'Alien' takes place? Sure. But let's not pretend like it's not a massive retcon to do so.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's both great and makes perfect sense. Checkmate

it's also not an aside that seemed to be a fairly important scene.

the ship in alien is very very old. it doesn't make sense. stop.

Xenomrph posted:

For what it's worth, it was intentionally designed to look old, and the film's script outright calls it fossilized. I don't mean Dallas' dialogue, I mean the script's description of the Space Jockey prop. Ridley Scott even acknowledged the Derelict's age in interviews when Prometheus came out.

forget it xeno, it's a chinatown.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's also not an aside that seemed to be a fairly important scene.

It's the climax of the film but nowhere near the most important scene in the film.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Could a future movie make it so David crashes the Derelict literally days before 'Alien' takes place? Sure. But let's not pretend like it's not a massive retcon to do so.

Well the only thing in the film itself is that word - the script scene descriptions and Ridley's comments aren't "canon". And Ridley has said so many contradictory things over the years that to say one thing or the other based on him is madness.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is this like where people defend yoda not being obi wan's master in the prequels despite the fact they even say so in the original trilogy with "well they didn't literally say that he wasn't training him in a room full of other younglings and for some reason they're using that obviously improvised training using the helmet from the millennium falcon".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

is this like where people defend yoda not being obi wan's master in the prequels despite the fact they even say so in the original trilogy with "well they didn't literally say that he wasn't training him in a room full of other younglings and for some reason they're using that obviously improvised training using the helmet from the millennium falcon".

Yes, in the sense that it doesn't matter at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like consistency myself.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

An Engineer tracks the colony ship to its destination, a place that will be full of Xenos thanks to David. It fills up its cargo with eggs and goes to LV-whatever.

:ms:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

Because if David creates them, it reduces their presence in the universe down to like 2 planets. Instead of being an unimaginably old, unknowable Lovecraftian cosmic horror that could be lurking in the dark anywhere in the void of space, there's now a finite number of them and anyone could conceivably throw them together given the proper resources and time.

"Person creates monster, monster gets out of control" is one of the most common and played out tropes in horror, having the Alien's origins be a mystery (or even unknowable) is vastly more interesting.

Its like how the prequels added the completely unnecessary backstory to Darth Vader, taking him from an intimidating force of evil to a whiny emo kid in a CPAP.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

sean10mm posted:

An Engineer tracks the colony ship to its destination, a place that will be full of Xenos thanks to David. It fills up its cargo with eggs and goes to LV-whatever.

:ms:

the jockey being david makes the most logical sense in the way that ridley is supposed to be wanting to connect prom to alien directly

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like consistency myself.

I like consistency as well but plot timelines are uninteresting.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Xeno is less special... because it's merely a branch of a much bigger and older cosmic horror tree now. It's just the tip of the iceberg.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dienes posted:

Its like how the prequels added the completely unnecessary backstory to Darth Vader, taking him from an intimidating force of evil to a whiny emo kid in a CPAP.

my feeling as well. i do like the david stuff - covenant is not a good movie but the parts with him are mostly great and wish they had been explored in their own thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sean10mm posted:

The Xeno is less special... because it's merely a branch of a much bigger and older cosmic horror tree now. It's just the tip of the iceberg.

The Xeno became less special when it got shot by a teenage pizza boy in the middle of Colorado.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Plavski posted:

the jockey being david makes the most logical sense in the way that ridley is supposed to be wanting to connect prom to alien directly

It would make David the monument to Ozymandias in the poem basically.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

People are obsessed with the idea that Prometheus/Covenant are meant to explain things from the other movies. Actually, all we really know is that David figured out how to make aliens. The presumption here is now that they must explain how David got aboard another ship and laid like 10,000 eggs.

Between the two movies we've only really established that aliens work roughly like 40k genestealers, where what they look like depends on how many generations in they are, and there's more than one way to make one. Covenant adds "No two are identical, especially at early generations." The aliens that pop out of David's eggs in fact don't look precisely like other aliens, though they are pretty close.

We don't need a scene depicting how the derelict happens, because we already essentially know, and it doesn't require David on the grassy knoll to work.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Alien Covenant:

Plavski posted:

but the jockey in Alien is chestbursted ("Bones are bent outward, like he exploded from inside"). do the facehuggers/aliens even attack synthetics? (besides Bishop in Aliens, but that was the more intelligent queen anyway). the neomorph in Covenant didn't seem too interested in attacking him.

(this is where Xenomrph comes in and tells me which comics and novels had synthetics getting chest bursted).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

People are obsessed with the idea that Prometheus/Covenant are meant to explain things from the other movies. Actually, all we really know is that David figured out how to make aliens. The presumption here is now that they must explain how David got aboard another ship and laid like 10,000 eggs.

Between the two movies we've only really established that aliens work roughly like 40k genestealers, where what they look like depends on how many generations in they are, and there's more than one way to make one. Covenant adds "No two are identical, especially at early generations." The aliens that pop out of David's eggs in fact don't look precisely like other aliens, though they are pretty close.

We don't need a scene depicting how the derelict happens, because we already essentially know, and it doesn't require David on the grassy knoll to work.

Good point. His chestburster was definitely NOT like the one in Alien, for instance.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Alien Covenant:

but the jockey in Alien is chestbursted ("Bones are bent outward, like he exploded from inside"). do the facehuggers/aliens even attack synthetics? (besides Bishop in Aliens, but that was the more intelligent queen anyway). the neomorph in Covenant didn't seem too interested in attacking him.

(this is where Xenomrph comes in and tells me which comics and novels had synthetics getting chest bursted).

well we know that the xenos in covenant are not the final ones we see in alien - they're all bio and not mechanical. there's a chain of logic that says eventually the aliens will have to merge with david's androidness and emerge as biomechanical.

one line of plot that could happen is that david finally realises that to make the perfect weapon he must join with it - he voluntarily takes a modified facehugger, it bursts out of him as a new queen and lays all those eggs. now there are the final bio-mechanical aliens we know and love, david's perfect creatures. the irony being that he won't be "alive" to see them. but as he says, sometimes to create you must destroy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

dont even fink about it posted:

Aliens have always been unique, see alien 3.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think it's a testament to Danny McBride as a dramatic actor that even though his character was underwritten he's still a compelling presence in the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DrVenkman posted:

I think it's a testament to Danny McBride as a dramatic actor that even though his character was underwritten he's still a compelling presence in the movie.

He owns.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Throwing this out here to all the "David didn't neccesarily make the alien" people, but it's really loving clear that's the intention of the movie. Like, come on, I'm a Star Wars fan: this reeks of post PM mitachloriam denial.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish people would watch Jody Hill's films/shows more. He's really excellent in those, far better than he was in Covenant. But he had less to work with there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QgN5iavRk

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Alien Covenant:

Nope, Aliens are consistently uninterested in synthetics in the EU (unless they're hostile, or in the way). There's even a comic series that shows a research station using a workforce of synthetics to freely mingle among an Alien hive. It's a pretty neat story that looks at the ramifications of treating synthetics as second-class citizens, Prometheus touches on some similar ideas.

Covok posted:

Throwing this out here to all the "David didn't neccesarily make the alien" people, but it's really loving clear that's the intention of the movie. Like, come on, I'm a Star Wars fan: this reeks of post PM mitachloriam denial.

On the same coin, it's really loving clear that the Derelict and Space Jockey are intended to be ancient. :)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Covok posted:

It didn't explain what those plants where? Those plants made aliens cause of black goo and a mad robot? He might of found the eggs also. How did he make the eggs without a queen? Added a poop function?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

It didn't explain what those plants where? Those plants made aliens cause of black goo and a mad robot? He might of found the eggs also. How did he make the eggs without a queen? Added a poop function?

you don't need queens to make eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6dSIMFo7iU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tenzarin posted:

It didn't explain what those planets where? Those plants made aliens cause of black goo and a mad robot? He might of found the eggs also.

He pretty much explictly says he created those eggs and that the spores were a previous attempt. This isn't obsfucated in any capacity: he literally says he made them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Covok posted:

Throwing this out here to all the "David didn't neccesarily make the alien" people, but it's really loving clear that's the intention of the movie.

That's not actually the intention of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

How did he make the eggs without a queen? Added a poop function?

One word:bio-enigneering.