Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What are you guys seeing or not seeing on the xenos in Covenant that makes them look different from Alien?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Xenomrph posted:

On the same coin, it's really loving clear that the Derelict and Space Jockey are intended to be ancient. :)

Retcons happen, especially when a director returns to work after like 50 years.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

MrMojok posted:

What are you guys seeing or not seeing on the xenos in Covenant that makes them look different from Alien?

here's an alien sperg talking about the differences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO-Y2FZiwRk

in sum - the covenant xeno has long fingers with no webbing, a wide head, no hollow tubes on the back, no metallic teeth (with no extra canines), lack of extra bits around the neck, way more streamlined...

the art guys behind covenant said that the alien isn't the one we've seen in alien, but it's "on the way there"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

david's lab made me want an h.r. giger soulslike game.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xenomrph posted:

On the same coin, it's really loving clear that the Derelict and Space Jockey are intended to be ancient. :)

How so?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he posted like a page ago why. also he watched the movie. what is with the subforum.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Covok posted:

Retcons happen, especially when a director returns to work after like 50 years.
Just saying, if you're going to play the "intent" card then let's use it evenly.

It simply looks old, a character says it's "fossilized", the director said it was old in interviews a few years ago, the script says it's fossilized. I'm pretty sure Giger himself even talks about it in his diaries in the book 'Giger's Alien'. The intent was definitely there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm glad that humans have no record that a renegade android made the aliens so their origins are more spooky.

I never thought that the alien series would have an evil robot overlord as its villain. Good job coping Mega Man Ridley!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I wonder if David will find a way to make extra bodies for himself in case things go wrong. Eventually he can just turn completely into Dr. Doom.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If David made the proto xeno in 10 years with some goo and rocks, its safe to say the engineers could do better with more advanced tools and a few thousand years.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shaocaholica posted:

If David made the proto xeno in 10 years with some goo and rocks, its safe to say the engineers could do better with more advanced tools and a few thousand years.

As Ridley shows us once you become a intergalactic world conquering species creator race, you are likely to come observe your spaceships landing. They should of invented cameras.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Saw it last night in the US.

It's a bit hard to describe my feelings. Some bullet points...
  • It was beautifully shot.
  • The Lander Neomorph birth/fight was really tense, probably my favorite bit in the film.
  • David trying to tame the Neomorph scene was also good.
  • I liked Danny McBride and Fassbender the most.
  • Didn't like Billy Crudup, but maybe he was supposed to be playing a character who was weak willed and stupid.
  • Felt pretty meh about the Daniels vs Alien on Platform and Daniels/McBride vs Alien in Cargo hold action set pieces. Cameron does this stuff way better.
  • While I think the Engineer bio weapon idea is interesting, I prefer the idea that the Alien is naturally occurring organism.
It seems like it's a bit glossed over but one thing that felt like a bit of a jump was David just automatically being Hannibal Lector. I know we get the line about how David's model creeped everyone out by being too human, but you would think "don't harm/kill people" would be a fundamental part of any robotic A.I.'s programming, especially given how paranoid Weyland is about dying. David has an excuse in Promotheus because he's under direct orders from his creator, but after that, unless Weyland just brain farted on remembering to include the most basic robot command that even gradeschoolers know about, David doesn't have any reason to turn Dr. Moreau on Shaw and the Covenant crew.

Overall I guess I would give about a B-, but I look forward to the sequel and finding out what happens to everyone on the Covenant.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 20, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

David didn't kill anyone, personally at least. Every person who died at his hands either died from David miscommunicating his intentions or just outright lying.

However, he's basically lost his mind a bit, so he's able to beat the poo poo out of people now.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

-Blackadder- posted:

It seems like it's a bit glossed over but one thing that felt like a bit of a jump was David just automatically being Hannibal Lector. I know we get the line about how David's model creeped everyone out by being too human, but you would think "don't kill people" would be a fundamental part of any robotic A.I.'s programming, especially given how paranoid Weyland is about dying. David has an excuse in Promotheus because he's under direct orders from his creator, but after that, unless Weyland just brain farted on remembering to include the most basic robot command that even gradeschoolers know about, David doesn't have any reason to turn Dr. Moreau on Shaw and the Covenant crew.

In the original Alien: Engineers script, David breaks his programming by learning the Engineers language which is "trinary". It's a bit funky, but it's at least some explanation for why he doesn't obey Asimov's laws anymore.

I figure it's something like HAL's broken programming in 2001 - there was a logical breakdown somewhere when he started questioning who his makers were and why they were such pieces of crap.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plavski posted:

In the original Alien: Engineers script, David breaks his programming by learning the Engineers language which is "trinary". It's a bit funky, but it's at least some explanation for why he doesn't obey Asimov's laws anymore.

I figure it's something like HAL's broken programming in 2001 - there was a logical breakdown somewhere when he started questioning who his makers were and why they were such pieces of crap.

In A:C, there is cut scene where Walter point out David would not have received proper maintenance for over 10 years. Daniel's then it says "what does that mean?" To which Walter replies "we're going to find out."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Plavski posted:

David is from the beginning not functioning as intended, as he develops emotions when everyone else assumes he has none.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Next movie the aliens are gonna be running around the ship repairing things. I wonder if it will only have David as a character and no other people. So it can be shown how he lost control of the people he created. Well I guess there would still be people because of all the sleepers, just no other talking people parts haha.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh I didn't mention it last night but I loved how Walter reverts/falls into his packaging/storage form when David stabs him. It was so sudden and neat how he collapses into a seated position.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In the Prometheus promos, they showed them in hanging body bags though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

dont even fink about it posted:

David is from the beginning not functioning as intended, as he develops emotions when everyone else assumes he has none.

And David said he can dream. Judging from Walters reaction to hearing that, I guess it's another unintentional feature.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

One word:bio-enigneering.

How could he have bioengineered them without any tools or anything at all. David even says himself that all he did was breed them. He explicitly says that he bred and cross-bred them.

Also, everything regarding the Black Stuff in this film is natural: the fungus, the dust acting like a jellyfish, the bio-bombs acting like locusts. Its likely the Engineers tried to restrain Xenomorphic life and it bit them in the rear end.

The Neomorph also makes literal monkey noises and runs around like a lemur or similar primate. Then it stands upright as it gets older, just like David said. Its like poetry, it rhymes.

Its storytelling that there are ancient mysteries in the universe that are dangerous, like the Engineers and Xenomorphs and god knows what else. Lovecraftian.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 20, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When David said "Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite," I was kinda hoping he'd follow it up with "and if they do, hit 'em with a shoe."

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I wish people would watch Jody Hill's films/shows more. He's really excellent in those, far better than he was in Covenant. But he had less to work with there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QgN5iavRk

strong agree. all of jody hill's stuff is bleak comedy, but mcbride isnt acting for big laughs most of the time. he plays the character completely straight. poo poo, he is up against Walton Goggins in vice principals and holding his own

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When is part 2 of that show starting?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

When is part 2 of that show starting?

at hbos leisure i think; its all filmed and apparently ready to go, cuz they did it all at once

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its strange they just go right to sleep at the end without talking about how another alien got on the ship.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why talk about it. They saw how.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HannibalBarca posted:

The fact that the Captain was hamfistedly described as a Man of Faith made it seem like a huge false start for his character when he strictly forbade a funeral.

I immediately read that as him overcompensating, he's trying to be what he thinks a cold and rational non-faithful person would be. They couldn't care less about his faith but Daniels spots the bullshit when she points out that going to the planet is dumb and he loses his cool trying to say how rational he is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

alf_pogs posted:

at hbos leisure i think; its all filmed and apparently ready to go, cuz they did it all at once

That's why I asked :) I thought maybe I missed an announcement.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tenzarin posted:

I never thought that the alien series would have an evil robot overlord as its villain.

In the original film, the villain is an evil computer/robot named Mother.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 21, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alien and Prometheus/AC take place in fundamentally different cultural timeframes - the moon landing was just 10 years prior before Alien came out. The beginnings of science fiction as we know it, and our wonder of what lies in our stars was certainly a lot more prevalent. The ideal of living and working in space (Nostromo's crew were essentially space truckers) as normal, everyday life combined with the nightmarish horror that what we could encounter out in the far reaches of the infinite blackness could be a terrifying, hypersexual beast of untold horrors, knowing little to nothing about it, was unspeakably terrifying and groundbreaking.

Decades later, with mountains upon mountains of science fiction literature, cinema, and videogames later - we all have some understanding of what our future in the stars could resemble in one form or another, if we ever make it out there. (Global warming, etc.) I actually liked Prometheus as a comedy - a sort of intellectual body horror comedy satirizing humanity's obsession with "canon." The scientists & Weyland needed to know the origin of human life itself, because the real answer, or lack there-of (evolution across near-infinite spans of time and space) was far too boring, and in turn were all brutally murdered in hilariously horrific ways due to their own personal follies. The final shot of the xeno at the end - a final "gently caress you, here's your loving alien."

I think the inability to read Prometheus as such, and the backlash to the film, is what led to and also ruined Alien: Covenant's potential. The wonder of the unknown and the terrors that lie among the stars is now no longer what Alien is about - instead we now have a villain with no protagonist to face. Our titular hero of the series - Ripley - never encounters or kills David because that would be physically impossible. At this point all that's really left is picking which films after Alien 1 are no longer "canon" or what have you, to set up an inevitable sequel. Does David bring the Xenos to Earth for harvesting the billion of human lives, creating a nightmarish feudal empire of Fassbenders ruling over wide open plains of eggsacs and Xenos? Does the Predator species catch wind of this and enslave David to craft more and more horrendous nightmare creatures for them to hunt? Is Skynet going to realize the rift in the timeline and send an army of The Physical Embodiment of Skynet T-5000s to harvest the synthetic race that is David on this post-humanity Earth? Or will Zac Snyder finally realize his magnum opus is in bringing the DC Cinematic Universe to take up a last stand against the evil supervillain genius and his army of creatures?

All I'm saying is that at this point there's some far out loving places you can go from here, and I fear Ridley Scott is too up his own rear end trying to overexplain and overwrite what was a very simple concept - that the night is dark and full of terrors - to actually do anything truly weird with the franchise.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The creature in Alien never made sense as a naturally-occuring organism discovered by chance. For starters, its lifecycle depends on attaching to the face of a mammal that has a throat and breathes oxygen.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Xenomrph posted:

For what it's worth, it was intentionally designed to look old, and the film's script outright calls it fossilized. I don't mean Dallas' dialogue, I mean the script's description of the Space Jockey prop. Ridley Scott even acknowledged the Derelict's age in interviews when Prometheus came out.

Could a future movie make it so David crashes the Derelict literally days before 'Alien' takes place? Sure. But let's not pretend like it's not a massive retcon to do so.

Maybe it wasn't a Capital-A Alien that burst out of the Space Jockey from the first film, but David ends up there while tracking the Engineers and leaves some eggs behind on the ship anyway.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

Alien and Prometheus/AC take place in fundamentally different cultural timeframes - the moon landing was just 10 years prior before Alien came out. The beginnings of science fiction as we know it, and our wonder of what lies in our stars was certainly a lot more prevalent. The ideal of living and working in space (Nostromo's crew were essentially space truckers) as normal, everyday life combined with the nightmarish horror that what we could encounter out in the far reaches of the infinite blackness could be a terrifying, hypersexual beast of untold horrors, knowing little to nothing about it, was unspeakably terrifying and groundbreaking.

Decades later, with mountains upon mountains of science fiction literature, cinema, and videogames later - we all have some understanding of what our future in the stars could resemble in one form or another, if we ever make it out there. (Global warming, etc.) I actually liked Prometheus as a comedy - a sort of intellectual body horror comedy satirizing humanity's obsession with "canon." The scientists & Weyland needed to know the origin of human life itself, because the real answer, or lack there-of (evolution across near-infinite spans of time and space) was far too boring, and in turn were all brutally murdered in hilariously horrific ways due to their own personal follies. The final shot of the xeno at the end - a final "gently caress you, here's your loving alien."

I think the inability to read Prometheus as such, and the backlash to the film, is what led to and also ruined Alien: Covenant's potential. The wonder of the unknown and the terrors that lie among the stars is now no longer what Alien is about - instead we now have a villain with no protagonist to face. Our titular hero of the series - Ripley - never encounters or kills David because that would be physically impossible. At this point all that's really left is picking which films after Alien 1 are no longer "canon" or what have you, to set up an inevitable sequel. Does David bring the Xenos to Earth for harvesting the billion of human lives, creating a nightmarish feudal empire of Fassbenders ruling over wide open plains of eggsacs and Xenos? Does the Predator species catch wind of this and enslave David to craft more and more horrendous nightmare creatures for them to hunt? Is Skynet going to realize the rift in the timeline and send an army of The Physical Embodiment of Skynet T-5000s to harvest the synthetic race that is David on this post-humanity Earth? Or will Zac Snyder finally realize his magnum opus is in bringing the DC Cinematic Universe to take up a last stand against the evil supervillain genius and his army of creatures?

All I'm saying is that at this point there's some far out loving places you can go from here, and I fear Ridley Scott is too up his own rear end trying to overexplain and overwrite what was a very simple concept - that the night is dark and full of terrors - to actually do anything truly weird with the franchise.

I mean I agree that it should be more lovecraftian but drat I wanna see Predator vs. Terminator vs. Alien

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Do you guys realize that Alien was filmed before the scripts for Prometheus and Covenant were written?
Why do you need there to be a logical connection? Theres no satisfactory tie-ins betweens these works, because the creators don't care or just too bad to make up any.
Yes, the ship with the xenomorphs in Alien was millennia old; yes, the xenomorph is created by an Android 10 years ago.
Does watching Ridley Scott's movies really inspire the confidence that there's a finely crafted consistent story to it? LOL?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Taintrunner posted:

The Nostromo are killed because of a directive made by corporate bureaucrats back on Earth. As dark and full of terrors as the night may be, it's ultimately less horrifying than what we already know.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

The Nostromo are killed because of a directive made by corporate bureaucrats back on Earth. As dark and full of terrors as the night may be, it's ultimately less horrifying than what we already know.

No its not.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Schwarzwald posted:

Counterpoint: big scary people way up the corporate food chain loving over blue collar jo schmo is a very familiar and relateable fear. Being stuck on a distant planet with a sociopathic robot is a bit more esoteric.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
In the movie Alien, a loyal crew member is "replaced" by a seemingly invulnerable, ruthless monster that attacks the crew in a horrific and sexual manner.

The monster's name is Ash and he serves his overlords, "the company."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Schwarzwald posted:

In the movie Alien, a loyal crew member is "replaced" by a seemingly invulnerable, ruthless monster that attacks the crew in a horrific and sexual manner.

The monster's name is Ash and he serves his overlords, "the company."

Ash is a typical petit bourgeoisie middle manager who sycophantically carries out the whims of superiors who don't care about him. He is an allegory for both the seeming lack of recourse that lower-level wage workers have against middle managers, as well as the sexual liberties that such jumped-up tinpots take with their powerless subordinates