Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alucardd posted:

An alternative to having to sort through ROMs, just google "smokemonster roms". You'll thank me later. :wink:

It is later, and I am thanking you. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
From my experience Dreamcast games don't really benefit from being on a CRT and don't really look like poo poo on an HDTV using a vga box or even s-video. Consoles that output at 240p I definitely see a benefit but even in 2d capcom fighters I find that the CRT doesn't really add any benefit like it does with the older consoles.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

Why would I play to play a game in widescreen on a 4:3 display though?

Honestly, widescreen becoming the "norm" for games didn't really kick in until the systems went HDMI anyway. On PVM's it's really to have a really quick solution for displaying the correct aspect ratio if whatever's being piped in is anamorphic.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm looking for an arcade stick for my dreamcast. What's the best option? Does anyone make an adapter for modern fightsticks to dreamcast?

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
I want to play Seiken Densetsu 3 or whatever the one is called after 1993 Secret of Mana. I have a small inexpensive setup, real SNES, CRT TV, S Video cable. is a repro cart worth it? would I get the same experience out of a flash cart with a million billion ROMs?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sand Dan posted:

I want to play Seiken Densetsu 3 or whatever the one is called after 1993 Secret of Mana. I have a small inexpensive setup, real SNES, CRT TV, S Video cable. is a repro cart worth it? would I get the same experience out of a flash cart with a million billion ROMs?

Exactly the same experience. (Unless SD3's cart has a rare chip in it but I don't think it does.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sand Dan posted:

The game is fantastic, enjoy! I think the hi-res text rendering can be a bit tough to see but with S-Video it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm looking for an arcade stick for my dreamcast. What's the best option? Does anyone make an adapter for modern fightsticks to dreamcast?

The simplest way to go is the Agetec stick, but it's probably :retrogames:, I haven't checked lately.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sand Dan posted:

Spend the money you would spend on a repro cart and get a flashcart. Unless you're thinking of rolling the dice for one of the really cheap Chinese pirate clone carts out there, in which case go crazy (while having "caveat emptor" banging around in your head).

EDIT:

The only limitation of a flashcart is that games with special chips in this (like the SuperFX chip in some SNES games or audio chips in some NES carts) won't work well or at all, since the functionality isn't in the flashcart hardware. Seiken Densetsu 3 appears to be pretty much standard so far as SNES games go, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 20, 2017

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Baron Snow posted:

The simplest way to go is the Agetec stick, but it's probably :retrogames:, I haven't checked lately.

They're only priced at $50-75 which isn't too bad, it's just the $75 shipping costs that are :retrogames:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Seiken Densetsu 3 may or may not be getting an official translation as part of the recently-announced Seiken Densetsu compilation for Switch.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3 may or may not be getting an official translation as part of the recently-announced Seiken Densetsu compilation for Switch.

An evil part of me wants them to switch out SD3 for Secret of Evermore again if they bring that collection stateside.

I won't hold my breath for an official translation, though.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

liquid courage posted:

Finally was able to grab a GDemu a few weeks back (the guy who makes them seems to make insanely small batches so they sell out in minutes) and just installed it. Also opted for a 3d printed tray and I'm glad I did, because the board just didn't feel terribly secure with the stock plastic stints. Also, the inclusion of slots for multiple SD cards is a nice feature, although I'm able to fit every game I'm interested in on a single SD card (it's in the mail, the ones below were just to give the board a try for the first time). Super easy install, just had to open the DC and remove the drive, no additional parts necessary. And like any retro good console, there were a few dead bugs inside. :D

Did you pull the trigger on it out of sheer luck, or were you notified by some alert or something? I want this bad - but I wasn't sure if I would've ever heard from the creator. Did they send out an e-mail or something?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Paging resident Gyruss pro, Wise Fwom Yo Gwave:

http://www.romhacking.net/news/1880/

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Paging resident Gyruss pro, Wise Fwom Yo Gwave:

http://www.romhacking.net/news/1880/

Hahaha what's to translate?!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Can someone tell me what revision of the Japanese Mega Drive is considered the best? Thinking of grabbing one while I'm in Japan, there seem to be a million model 1s but few model 2s.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

dishwasherlove posted:

Can someone tell me what revision of the Japanese Mega Drive is considered the best? Thinking of grabbing one while I'm in Japan, there seem to be a million model 1s but few model 2s.

oh boy

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Faux pas? Really I just need to know if it is the same as the US models. I have an Australian Mega Drive 2 and figured this would be easier than modding it for 60hz.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

Faux pas? Really I just need to know if it is the same as the US models. I have an Australian Mega Drive 2 and figured this would be easier than modding it for 60hz.

Does anyone really know anything about Japanese Megadrive revisions?

The thing is that in Japan the Megadrive was a flop. So you'd be paying a lot more for the privilege of owning one of them. Also, most Genesis/Megadrive games are not region locked and any of the region locking (including the cart shape) can be defeated by a Game Genie. So if you want a 60Hz system, save yourself the headaches and buy American.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

dishwasherlove posted:

Here's a breakdown of all the different revisions - if in doubt, just get the earliest one you can find: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Great link thanks. If the price is right I'll try and grab an early version

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's a breakdown of all the different revisions - if in doubt, just get the earliest one you can find: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

That page posted:

JAPANESE HARDWARE:

[...]

MegaDrive 2

*no information yet*

:v:

I told you nobody knows anything about Japanese MegaDrives. Even Japanese people!

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Anyway, I broke out Clockwork Knight for the first time in a long time this evening. I don't know what Sega was thinking with this game. It would have been a weak game on the Genesis. It feels like a mid-tier NES platformer, the kind that you wouldn't mind playing but you're be thinking of better games as you did it. Clockwork Knight doesn't live up to the standards of the platformers Sega had been releasing at the time so the only thing I can think is that this was something they knocked together to see what the Saturn hardware could do.

I assume the sequel is just more of the same. Not that I'm remotely tempted to pay the price for that game.

As a life-long Sega fan and early (release date) Saturn adopter, I eventually owned Clockwork Knight 1 + 2, Skeleton Warriors, Mr. Bones, Bug Too! plus both Virtua Cop titles w/ orange light guns. The Clockwork Knights were definitely meant as tech demos to show the Saturn had "3D rendering" capabilities.

Too bad, because there were beautiful hand drawn games for which the system was designed that got promptly overshadowed by Playstation polygons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Smoking Crow posted:

If you're looking for the opposite of the best option you can have this one for the cost of shipping. It's pretty low quality -

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TheMammoth posted:

As a life-long Sega fan and early (release date) Saturn adopter, I eventually owned Clockwork Knight 1 + 2, Skeleton Warriors, Mr. Bones, Bug Too! plus both Virtua Cop titles w/ orange light guns. The Clockwork Knights were definitely meant as tech demos to show the Saturn had "3D rendering" capabilities.

Too bad, because there were beautiful hand drawn games for which the system was designed that got promptly overshadowed by Playstation polygons.

I'd say Astal was a better visual showcase forgotten by time. Like Rayman was pretty but Astal looked like a Roger Dean painting in motion.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Clockwork was hand drawn? Looked pre-rendered fad to me.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

:stonk:

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Worst controller since the Nuon batarang?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Medullah posted:

If you're looking for the opposite of the best option you can have this one for the cost of shipping. It's pretty low quality -

Seeing the button layout popped a very weird question into my head. As the proud owner of the actual good Dreamcast arcade sticks linked earlier, I'm kind of wanting a solution for Genesis, and was wondering if:

1. There is a Dreamcast-controller-to-Genesis adapter somewhere out there
2. If this is even a possible thing, since basically all adapters I know of are older controller to newer console and not newer controller to older console

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Asciiware MD-6/SG-6 Fighter Sticks just not cutting it anymore?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Asciiware MD-6/SG-6 Fighter Sticks just not cutting it anymore?

I don't have $300 for a pair of Paprium sticks :retrogames:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Dreamcast used a special form of USB, so I doubt you'd be able to make an adapter for DC>Genesis

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

univbee posted:

Seeing the button layout popped a very weird question into my head. As the proud owner of the actual good Dreamcast arcade sticks linked earlier, I'm kind of wanting a solution for Genesis, and was wondering if:

1. There is a Dreamcast-controller-to-Genesis adapter somewhere out there
2. If this is even a possible thing, since basically all adapters I know of are older controller to newer console and not newer controller to older console

It's only possible if you wired the grounds of the Dreamcast controller to a Genesis controller, a straight plug converter wouldn't work without demuxing the Dreamcast output. I built a Saturn>Genesis adapter with a demuxe chip and a sacrificial Genesis controller.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I have just made the greatest retrogame purchase of the year and I can't wait for it to arrive from Japan and let you all know about the greatness of the game Kawaii Usagi (or "Cute Bunny"). For those who need to see how cute this bunny is, here is the game's box:

Also, I purchased an unlabeled Game Boy cart so that'll be fun!

Finally, why are there so many Yugioh games for GameBoy and what's the best use for those carts since it's definitely not playing them?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Finally, why are there so many Yugioh games for GameBoy and what's the best use for those carts since it's definitely not playing them?

Yugioh was A Thing around the time of the GBC/GBA, and they were the best (and presumably cheapest) way to push games out to the wee kids obsessed with it? :shrug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yugioh's one of the few games Konami continued to release for gaming hardware after they more-or-less withdrew from the market.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yugioh was A Thing around the time of the GBC/GBA, and they were the best (and presumably cheapest) way to push games out to the wee kids obsessed with it? :shrug:

The more surprising part is that they only ever made 2 video games out of the pokemon card game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

The more surprising part is that they only ever made 2 video games out of the pokemon card game.

The actual cards are more lucrative I guess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

The actual cards are more lucrative I guess.

They are for Yu-Gi-Oh as well, they still made like 40 yu-gi-oh card game video games though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

They are for Yu-Gi-Oh as well, they still made like 40 yu-gi-oh card game video games though.

Fair point, but I assume Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't also have a non-card based adventure series that gets updated every two or so years and an uncountable amount of other merchandise and other such branded stuff (e.g. performances consisting of armies of dancing people in inflatable pikachu costumes).

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 21, 2017

• Locked thread