Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Alonso is ready for q2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Uncle Jam posted:

Wow Bourdais' steering wheel.

? Pic?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Was gonna say that Chaves using Earnhardt's number font exactly is really funny to me but then I noticed his haircut

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I'd like to take this opportunity to remark on how awful Pippa Mann's run was.
Ed Jones qualified 10th, Bourdais probably would've put it on the pole, she was 2+mph slower than Lazier.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nando being in the top 9 surprises no one.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Its the thing against the wall in the pic attached with a cord, and the cord comes out of the cockpit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Nando being in the top 9 surprises no one.

I mean, there's five other Andretti cars, five Penskes, and a couple Ganassis plus the other smaller teams? And this is Are Nando's first time at Indy? He's been fast in practice but being in that too nine is a little surprising.

Really hope Bourdais is okay, that hit looked nasty.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/DaveFurst/status/866065988239994880
If this holds, it's a huge testament to the DW-12 :ohdear:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
He's the most talented driver in this entire field. It isn't really a shock at all. I'd of been far more surprised if he hadn't made it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveFurst/status/866065988239994880
If this holds, it's a huge testament to the DW-12 :ohdear:

Yeah... that was about as nasty as you can get.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

That reminded me of a lot of the wrecks that would of killed someone 30 or so years ago.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/866083196940595200

God bless Dallara, this release could've been way, way worse

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Agreed. That sucks horribly but that hit would've done far worse in years past.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I was watching it live on tv and the impact was a holy gently caress moment. 200 mph right into the wall. They really are making these cars amazing.

thisLambo
Aug 28, 2016

~226mph into the wall and he gets away with a broken hip and fractured pelvis.

10+ years ago probably not so.

Was watching live as well, first time I've actually yelped loudly from a crash in IndyCar.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
That absolutely would have killed him even a decade ago. That was one of the more terrifying hits I've seen in a long time.

Does Indy have SAFER around the whole track?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Missed out on the discussion earlier but: I think my dad first took me to PIR (the road course in the Northwest, not the oval in Arizona) when I was 2 or 3. This would've been in the heyday of IMSA GTP and CART, and I definitely remember things like the 1990 and 1991 seasons and "500s". Pretty clearly remember 1992 too, including the finish. Very clearly remember the shock of Penske missing in 1995, too.

And the most '90s thing in that IOC picture is the caffeine free diet Pepsi can.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mactheknife posted:

That absolutely would have killed him even a decade ago. That was one of the more terrifying hits I've seen in a long time.

Does Indy have SAFER around the whole track?

Only the corners

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

thisLambo posted:

Was watching live as well, first time I've actually yelped loudly from a crash in IndyCar.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his legs if he wasn't in the dw-12

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If anyone's looking for something to wear to the track next Sunday...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/05/20/men-buying-125-patriotic-rompers-indy-500/334313001/

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
INDIANAPOLIS (Saturday, May 20, 2017) - Verizon IndyCar Series driver Sebastien Bourdais was diagnosed with multiple fractures to his pelvis and a fracture to his right hip following an incident today while attempting to qualify for the 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

According to INDYCAR Medical Director Dr. Geoffrey Billows, Bourdais will undergo surgery on his pelvis this evening at IU Health Methodist Hospital. Bourdais was on the third lap of his qualification run at Indianapolis Motor Speedway when his Dale Coyne Racing No. 18 GEICO Honda made hard contact with the Turn 2 SAFER Barrier.

Statement from team owner Dale Coyne: "Sebastien is in good hands here at IU Methodist Hospital with the staff and now we just wait for him to recover."

Additional updates on Bourdais' condition will be released when available.  

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, this was prophetic

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

iospace posted:

Also, this was prophetic

Aflac would have been better

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It just sucked because I think Bourdais would have gotten pole and likely could have had a shot at winning the drat thing.

I wanna see the guy get a cherry to put on top of his career. He SHOULD be with Ganassi at this point in his career at the very least. (Hell part of me wonders if it would have been him in the Penske "12" had he not gone to Torro Rosso in 2008).

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

thisLambo posted:

That's still some seriously crappy injuries, he's going to be bed-bound for quite some time. Fractures are still breaks, he's going to be in heaps of pain. Got seriously lucky. Hopefully he doesn't pick up any infections as a result. I've seen pelvis fractures result in a month+ in ICU from the resulting infections.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Not great but it could have been a LOT worse. He's a lucky boy

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

And Seb has been so good this year too. Ugh, drat it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Think those first two laps shows that they were all in. Unbelievable balls on them to roll out truly on the absolute edge, but they paid the price.

They really are putting their lives on the line to beat the world, and it's such insanely compelling and scary stuff.

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

:smith:

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/bourdais-out-for-the-season-despite-successful-surgery-908796

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~

Dale Coyne posted:

“It’s not so long ago that a hit like that would have been fatal,” he said. “It was a 118G hit, and yet the car did its job. There was no intrusion from the components, and the panel that was added to the car when Justin [Wilson] had his hit in Fontana [in 2013] and broke his pelvis did what it was supposed to do and gave the seat more of chance to absorb a lot of energy.”

:stare:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Really hope that ride goes to Stef, at least for the 500

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's incredible how well the nose of that car held up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Is the 2018 tub is supposed to safer?

Incredible he didn't lose consciousness.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Is the 2018 tub is supposed to safer?

Incredible he didn't lose consciousness.

It's the same tub, isn't it?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
2018 is the same tub, but a consistent aero kit across Honda and chevy. 2019 will be a new car.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ahh I thought next year was the whole new car.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
https://twitter.com/Chad200/status/866307135742914561

:catstare:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

...wait, what's with the "___'S" writing down the side of the cockpit? Bourdais didn't have that.

Did they get somebody ALREADY?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dsriggs posted:

...wait, what's with the "___'S" writing down the side of the cockpit? Bourdais didn't have that.

Did they get somebody ALREADY?

It's their backup car, I imagine it used to say Sonny's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
it's the 18T

• Locked thread