Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I just found out today in coop that you can kill Orochi before he even goes to his final phase if you beat all the heads. I thought I got disconnected for a second there but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So if you want to be a complete weeaboo and hurl stuff, this dude's build is incredible. It works very well even without being maxed out though, requiring only a little bit of investment.

I ended up working something very similar to it. A bit of extra bonus damage and unlimited ninjitsu then you're ready to go. Storm Shuriken is hilarious against bigger bosses.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

hampig posted:

I wanted to buy this until I saw that it has randomized loot. Farming items is pretty lame in a game that isn't called Diablo, can you play this and get max items without having to grind?

well, considering that important gear drops are mission rewards and when you find the blacksmith, you can soul match stuff you don't want into your favorite weapon to raise it's level, your complaint is actually a non issue.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Well I finally beat Hino-enma. It just took watching like 3 youtube videos and going like 10 levels past minimum to beat her :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The game likes to make its waifus the toughest roadblocks. :v:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
She's a very hard boss for that early in the game, but on the plus side, once you've beaten her you'll be way better at dodging than you were before which helps with most enemies.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Learning to block was a big one too. Instinctively I wasn't blocking at all, having come off of DS3/BB. I found it more worthwhile to just block the whirlwind attack than to spam dodge.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, if you're medium armour then a mix of blocking and dodging is the way go. Heavy armour you're just a goddamn rock, and in light...well, hope you've got reflexes!

Once you get into the game's quirks it snaps together.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Running around with A agility in light armor I just pretend I'm in Bloodborne and have nothing to block with. Any time I try to block anything more than a basic enemy, I run out of ki...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Honestly, come Way of the Demon that'll probably happen regardless of your agility rating.

Not that it matters, mind - I'm at the point now where I can kill anyone in a three piece barrage of shuriken. :black101:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Magus42 posted:

Running around with A agility in light armor I just pretend I'm in Bloodborne and have nothing to block with. Any time I try to block anything more than a basic enemy, I run out of ki...

You can block plenty of stuff including bosses with that setup - it works fine.

Later on you can get your toughness to 100 even with A Agility/Light armor, that will be a discrete jump as well.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You can block plenty of stuff including bosses with that setup - it works fine.

People say that, but it never works out for me. I'm either blocking the wrong things, or blocking when my Ki is already depleted, but either way, it ends up worse than if I'd just dodged :)

It's entirely possible that some/most of the incidents are me screwing up, but for whatever reason, I do better dodging :)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

So if you want to be a complete weeaboo and hurl stuff, this dude's build is incredible. It works very well even without being maxed out though, requiring only a little bit of investment.

I ended up working something very similar to it. A bit of extra bonus damage and unlimited ninjitsu then you're ready to go. Storm Shuriken is hilarious against bigger bosses.

drat :stare: Guess I need to go pick up that 'bonus damage from behind' skill after all. Something like this would be great for the crazy challenge missions. Execute one boss, honor duel the other.

e: Does attacking enemies lying on the ground grant bonus damage? Or was he just doing that so they couldn't block?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Magus42 posted:

People say that, but it never works out for me. I'm either blocking the wrong things, or blocking when my Ki is already depleted, but either way, it ends up worse than if I'd just dodged :)

It's entirely possible that some/most of the incidents are me screwing up, but for whatever reason, I do better dodging :)
I guess hino enma spin was the move I learned to block. I can dodge it now but it was hard back then. It changed the whole fight for me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Takes No Damage posted:

drat :stare: Guess I need to go pick up that 'bonus damage from behind' skill after all. Something like this would be great for the crazy challenge missions. Execute one boss, honor duel the other.

e: Does attacking enemies lying on the ground grant bonus damage? Or was he just doing that so they couldn't block?

It leaves them defenseless. The one weakness, such as it is, of the build is that human enemies and revenants smart enough to play defensively completely neuter its damage - it shreds Yokai by comparison because none of them can block.

Piece Guard (Ranged) and Lifeseal can mitigate it considerably (with the latter active on a revenant, spamming shuriken annihilates the ki meter), but it's still something to work around. I just bust out the old murder knife personally.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I guess hino enma spin was the move I learned to block. I can dodge it now but it was hard back then. It changed the whole fight for me.

Yeah everyone was telling me to block that too, but it always depleted my stamina :)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh god, the co-op version of Return of the Groud. :gonk:

Oda, the Samurai and his Ice Waifu.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Can you not Torii Gate on Way of the Strong?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You should be able to. I've been helping carry a few people through Way of the Demon despite it being their first run through of the difficulty. Torii gate can be a bit awkward at times though!

Also,

Ever get the feeling you should have been doing something important with your life.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
high five for rocking the best transform in the game.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

You should be able to. I've been helping carry a few people through Way of the Demon despite it being their first run through of the difficulty. Torii gate can be a bit awkward at times though!

Also,

Ever get the feeling you should have been doing something important with your life.

How? I dont see a difficulty select and I'm doing it on Strong.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have them host the game. They choose the difficulty and select wait, I then join them and we go through together like that. Unless you're talking about random encounters in which case I think it's a crapshoot and difficulty filtering doesn't work quite right - I still get dropped into Way of the Samurai games.

Snak posted:

high five for rocking the best transform in the game.

There's no other choice. :allears:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I pretend that Tome is finally getting to go on all the adventure she has been imagining.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

I have them host the game. They choose the difficulty and select wait, I then join them and we go through together like that. Unless you're talking about random encounters in which case I think it's a crapshoot and difficulty filtering doesn't work quite right - I still get dropped into Way of the Samurai games.

There's no other choice. :allears:

Yeah, random encounters. Oh well, maybe Ill get lucky.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's unfortunate but yeah, that's the way it'll have to be. I'm in a position where I'm strong enough to mash Restless Spirits and Return of the Gourd, so co-op is glory and fun more than anything else. Game's fantastic.

Snak posted:

I pretend that Tome is finally getting to go on all the adventure she has been imagining.

"AND THEN I KILLED ORACHI WITH ONE SHURIKEN AND-"

"Tome please we have sixty more swords to make today."

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
True patricians use Ginchiyo. :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

everyone should play at least one mission as that guy with the weird-rear end metal ski toboggan hat

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Welp, there goes the idea of an alt character in heavy armor and axe/odachi - i can't handle the slow movement. Couldn't even beat Onryoki x.x

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

You can do it, you just need to invest in Stamina.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You'll be stuck in C agility even with 99 stamina unless you forge weight reduction on some pieces. I did an Obsidian samurai build before the dlc and it was extremely strong even with C agility.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

investing in Ki regeneration speed helps too

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Monolith. posted:

You can do it, you just need to invest in Stamina.

I know people can do it, I just can't adapt to the slow speed after doing so much at A agility.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Playing nioh at A agility makes bloodborne feel sluggish, frankly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I went with Ginchiyo and doing the Odachi grapple attack is the funniest poo poo

If they introduce a Ninja weapon in the next DLC I could try Okatsu next

I switched to Honda clan because the 40% dmg reduction while at full HP is super good on WotD

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 21, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sneaking through a human camp doing the Odachi backstab on everyone is ridiculous.

I can't tell what's actually happening with the Kusa killing blow - they...step on the people, and sometimes another 10k damage happens for no apparent reason on top of the normal 4k.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
They're shoving the sickle into their spine and tearing it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Or do you mean the backstab? For me that's always wrapping the chain around their neck and spinning them towards me while slashing them with the sickle.

I thought it was slamming down with both the weight and the sickle, hence the two damage values.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They should just repeat the axe animation and have Tome punch her victims in the gut, doing one lump of damage. :colbert:

I think there's some weird animation quirk where the enemy's hitbox gets shifted during the initial stab and avoids the secondary hit of damage.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

As much as I love this game, it really has to knock it off with the 2 v 1s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I really love thrown weapons. I've been doing co-op all day joining games and just wrecking bosses with storm kunai :D