Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What a strange concept. To be "weirded out" by life leech. Personally, I think that a game environment where the only methods for regeneration and sustain coming from potions which you need to actively kill things in order to recharge(not very useful for bosses) or passive regeneration(very unreliable unless you can guarantee that you will not be hit by anything during the entire period of regeneration)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only thing that weird me out are paladins who fight throwing barrels that deal thorns damage.

But seriously, zero-dps barbarians and monks being used to spawn health globes when they hit so they can heal the party are at the very least just as weird as life leech.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

terrified of my bathroom posted:

Evasion as a concept is nearly impossible to balance in a game. You have to find the sweet spot where the strength offsets the fact that you will, at some point, get randomly one shot by bad rng but without making it so strong that you're functionally invincible. I've seen other games (mostly mmo's) have abilities where you can force a dodge on the next attack but I don't think that would work in a game like this.

Block on the other hand, they could convert to "block a percentage of damage" on all hits instead of straight up negating damage randomly and it would be a little bit more balanced (and wouldn't be Evasion, But Again)

Not sure if you're aware, but evasion in poe isn't random. If you have 25% evasion against a mob (actual calculated chance to hit, not char sheet etc.), it will miss every 4th attack it takes against you, with some randomness in which of the first 4 attacks happens to be the first miss.

So it's not so hard to balance since you know x amount of evasion will result in y less hits.

Dodge is the stat that's pure RNG.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

megalodong posted:

Not sure if you're aware, but evasion in poe isn't random. If you have 25% evasion against a mob (actual calculated chance to hit, not char sheet etc.), it will miss every 4th attack it takes against you, with some randomness in which of the first 4 attacks happens to be the first miss.

So it's not so hard to balance since you know x amount of evasion will result in y less hits.

Dodge is the stat that's pure RNG.

Oh, neat. I was under the impression that it was psuedo-RNG (which i guess this technically is until the first hit) but that actually makes it stronger than I thought

edit: the wiki says that its entropy/pRNG based, do you have any sources for it being consistent?

terrified of my bathroom fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 19, 2017

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Did you read how the entropy works?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

terrified of my bathroom posted:

Oh, neat. I was under the impression that it was psuedo-RNG (which i guess this technically is until the first hit) but that actually makes it stronger than I thought

edit: the wiki says that its entropy/pRNG based, do you have any sources for it being consistent?

That's because whoever decided to call the way it works "entropy" doesn't know what entropy means. The actual description of how it works in the wiki shows it being consistent.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Qwertycoatl posted:

That's because whoever decided to call the way it works "entropy" doesn't know what entropy means. The actual description of how it works in the wiki shows it being consistent.

Oh, im dumb, I was misreading the process; I interpreted it as it increasing the chance to hit rather than being an actual guaranteed hit/miss

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
How's this look for an Explosive Arrow build?

I want to try out some elemental bow builds because my gut feeling, based on absolutely nothing, is that GGG is gonna buff elemental builds to compensate for all the poison nonsense in the last meta, and I want to try out a few to see how they've worked.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Well you've got no passives or gear, so I'm going to say "fairly poorly" :cheeky:

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Oops!! I meant https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1733131

Other ideas: Inquisitor Lightning Arrow, Chieftain Burning Arrow, uhh, Pathfinder anything I guess!!

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

until 3.0, berserker is absolutely the way to go for EA because you can put another quill rain on swap for igniting bosses and get that sweet 40% more double dip

after 3.0... that skill is going to have trouble killing high tier map bosses probably. especially if you can't wall shotgun, which is kind of mediocre anyway

the skill trees and gear are pretty much identical between variations regardless

edit: for zerker ea you can probably get away with using war bringer instead of cloaked in savagery, and then just use end cry as your life flask, and run all the usual horseshit dps flasks

ndub fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 19, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Juggernaut is really good for EA and the build doesn't really abuse double dipping; though you sure can if you want to. I was able to clear everything in Breach with it, though ignite immune bosses were loving horrible. I'm probably going to run it to start for 3.0 again.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i got pretty far with pathfinder EA in hardcore mode. damage is on the low side but it's very safe and you can put a single target link on swap for boss fights

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I've been looking at Essence Drain... uh, how do you get good DPS with this skill? Does being pure chaos make up for the fact that it maxes out at like 75k dps even with Decay stacking on it? Or is it just that you don't have to constantly cast to get DPS out of it?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 20, 2017

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

McFrugal posted:

I've been looking at Essence Drain... uh, how do you get good DPS with this skill? Does being pure chaos make up for the fact that it maxes out at like 75k dps even with Decay stacking on it? Or is it just that you don't have to constantly cast to get DPS out of it?

If you use a wither totem the DPS gets really beastly. Even without wither, my char gets about 65k DPS on the ED dot, with another 38k from decay. I was playing yellow maps at level 87 and the DOT was going so fast that I couldn't cast contagion fast enough before everything died.

With wither totem on a boss, I was doing 123k DPS for ED and 71k for decay.

Here's a link to my character, if you wanna check it out

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

If you use a wither totem the DPS gets really beastly. Even without wither, my char gets about 65k DPS on the ED dot, with another 38k from decay. I was playing yellow maps at level 87 and the DOT was going so fast that I couldn't cast contagion fast enough before everything died.

With wither totem on a boss, I was doing 123k DPS for ED and 71k for decay.

Here's a link to my character, if you wanna check it out

What's your ES total at with that gear?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

McFrugal posted:

What's your ES total at with that gear?

8.9k when using Discipline.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

McFrugal posted:

I ran an ED Occultist in Breach league and I was able to do all content without too much trouble.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Essence drain also has the soon-to-be-dead effect of applying spell/projectile damage to any kind of DoT dealt by the skill, not just its innate effect. So, poison via consuming dark and/or the essence of <whatever> that causes a chaos DoT on hit both get scaled way high by it.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

If anyone has a BLS character they aren't playing anymore I will gladly buy some of your gear from you as I am levelling a sprinkler at the moment.

Also do you guys think it's smarter to celestial justicar + chaos spam or just buy a 6link outright?

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
Celestial and then use whatever the essence is that guarantees 110+ life.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Bob NewSCART posted:

If anyone has a BLS character they aren't playing anymore I will gladly buy some of your gear from you as I am levelling a sprinkler at the moment.

Also do you guys think it's smarter to celestial justicar + chaos spam or just buy a 6link outright?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/boneghost_/characters

char: LifeMetaOP

if you want anything just message me, i'll cut you a deal

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Is there any reason not to immediately cash in a level 20 gem for a 20% quality gem using the vendor recipe?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
some gems don't really benefit from quality, like auras

it also takes them a bit of leveling for them to reach the same effectiveness (depends on gem but usually lvl 15+ iirc)

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

JerryLee posted:

Is there any reason not to immediately cash in a level 20 gem for a 20% quality gem using the vendor recipe?

If you're trying tor level 21 gems, it'll take you forever that way. If not then...not really no. I usually level up an extra gem of the most important ones for my build while levelling, so when they hit 20 I turn one into 1/20 and use the other one until I've got some levels back. That way the DPS doesn't take a huge dip until you get the gem back up in levels.

It'd probably be better to just level some sought-after gems in my backup weapon set instead though, and sell those off and buy the ones I need for my character, but eh.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Always level gems in your alternate slots. Also try to get 6% Haku weapons for leveling Empower, Enlighten et al. this way.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Spectral throw ranger owns bones. This is so much more fun.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I finally found a use for that "7 powerful undead" prophecy:

:haw:

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Well my bladeflurry life/evasion character ate a crypt boss smash (because i was being dumb) as is no more. So i've decided to spend the 20 exalts or so ive gathered with him on a CI HOWA ST character. Had a reliquary key drop from a shrine (drops 8 currency) in cruel dried lake which was nice and just bought my first ever proper 6 link item (760 ES tri res vaal regalia). I love this league.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
That crypt boss annihilated the one really good occultist I ever made because I had no idea how his curse = huge damage nova worked and rolled up on him with 3 curses going. I thought it was chaos damage because I died instantly with full 4k life/6k ES, but apparently it's just a tremendous amount of elemental damage.

edit: One of the few deaths that really made me mad because it's such a lovely niche mechanic that you can't even figure out if you're using blasphemy. The nova consumes the curses, but they're immediately back on so it just seems like something the boss can always do and surely some random mid tier boss can't insta-kill me like tha-

YoungSexualNorton fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 20, 2017

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

What do you guys think owns bosses harder, lead sprinkler or howa?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I think the average howa build has more defense, better clear and but may be worse vs bosses. When I played it I was never comfortable with slower proj + spec throw (distance is so short....). I never did get a helm enchant for it though so the less deceleration one may help.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You just gotta embrace the leech while you can. Not much can kill a leeching Howa right now!

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

YoungSexualNorton posted:

That crypt boss annihilated the one really good occultist I ever made because I had no idea how his curse = huge damage nova worked and rolled up on him with 3 curses going. I thought it was chaos damage because I died instantly with full 4k life/6k ES, but apparently it's just a tremendous amount of elemental damage.

edit: One of the few deaths that really made me mad because it's such a lovely niche mechanic that you can't even figure out if you're using blasphemy. The nova consumes the curses, but they're immediately back on so it just seems like something the boss can always do and surely some random mid tier boss can't insta-kill me like tha-

Maybe that was it, I just assumed I missed a slam wind up as Id done him before and kept my distance but this time went toe to toe and then suddenly I was dead. I only had 5.7k hp though.

Hyvok
Mar 30, 2010
I'm new to POE and I've been sort of trying out all kinds of different builds to try to kinda pick out something for the upcoming 3.0 (highest level character is a LA ranger at 70). Haven't felt like getting in to mapping since the league will end pretty soon any way.

I feel like I'm missing something but pretty much all melee and non-ranged builds seem feel absolutely terrible to play. Mainly the problem is just dying instantly without even having an idea to what. I'm currently playing a tankytwirl (cyclone CoC EK/bladefall) and this one has been the most awful experience so far. He is like a meatgrinder, just destroys everything you cyclone in to and sort of fun to play but he just keeps dying instantly to something all the time. Like You cyclone in to a pack, most of the time you take very little damage but sometimes you just die instantly (this is in cruel btw. lvl 51). Wtf? This has been my experience with other melees as well (not quite so bad though). I have like 50/50/75% resistances right now. I've literally not managed to gain any experience between sceptre of god - dried lake due to dying so many times now. I'm probably missing something important (I am running and trying to keep fortify up with whirling blades and spamming evasion etc. flasks). Like how do you play a melee in HC?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Cap your resists. How much life do you have? should be around 2-2.5k around A3-A4 Cruel. But cap your resists, 50% on a resist takes double the damage that 75% does.

Edit: If you say "I'm CI tho" i'll let you know that it's about 20 levels too early for you to be doing that.

Budgie fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 21, 2017

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
In addition to that, you'll also want to try to make sure you have your various debuff flasks (bleed and chill at a minimum)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Budgie posted:

Cap your resists. How much life do you have? should be around 2-2.5k around A3-A4 Cruel. But cap your resists, 50% on a resist takes double the damage that 75% does.

Edit: If you say "I'm CI tho" i'll let you know that it's about 20 levels too early for you to be doing that.

CI's perfectly doable in cruel right now thanks to all the dumb legacy items floating around. I had about 2500 ES at level 44 thanks to The Gull and Brinerot Whalers and kicked that up over 5k at 49 with The Covenant. One can also pick up a 5xx destroyer regalia for next to nothing if they feel the need for a bit more ES. Brinerot Flag also helps, but I was using a bow.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Has anyone had an issue with FPS in the game when streaming video on a second monitor, if so how did you fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Hyvok posted:

I'm new to POE and I've been sort of trying out all kinds of different builds to try to kinda pick out something for the upcoming 3.0 (highest level character is a LA ranger at 70). Haven't felt like getting in to mapping since the league will end pretty soon any way.

I feel like I'm missing something but pretty much all melee and non-ranged builds seem feel absolutely terrible to play. Mainly the problem is just dying instantly without even having an idea to what. I'm currently playing a tankytwirl (cyclone CoC EK/bladefall) and this one has been the most awful experience so far. He is like a meatgrinder, just destroys everything you cyclone in to and sort of fun to play but he just keeps dying instantly to something all the time. Like You cyclone in to a pack, most of the time you take very little damage but sometimes you just die instantly (this is in cruel btw. lvl 51). Wtf? This has been my experience with other melees as well (not quite so bad though). I have like 50/50/75% resistances right now. I've literally not managed to gain any experience between sceptre of god - dried lake due to dying so many times now. I'm probably missing something important (I am running and trying to keep fortify up with whirling blades and spamming evasion etc. flasks). Like how do you play a melee in HC?

It sounds like you should just take a single character Into the end game so you can actually learn how to play it/get it to the point where it actually works right.

• Locked thread