Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What'd be neat for FH4 would be optional FM6/7 physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

And tuning!

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

geeves posted:

And tuning!
But FH2/3 already have tuning? H1 didn't cause it was just straight up arcade racer that really didn't resemble Forza gameplay that much.

Probably not all that much difference between them these days besides all vehicles/tires having way better grip than they would with equivalent upgrades in motorsport, and the magic "anti-pitting" physics that prevent other vehicles from causing spins.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 18, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

But FH2/3 already have tuning? H1 didn't cause it was just straight up arcade racer that really didn't resemble Forza gameplay that much.

Probably not all that much difference between them these days besides all vehicles/tires having way better grip than they would with equivalent upgrades in motorsport, and the magic "anti-pitting" physics that prevent other vehicles from causing spins.

No. What I mean is I can tune my own cars and run top 1000 times in FM6. The same tune in FH is hilarious garbage.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I know it's partly physics too, but the track styles in Horizon is completely different than in 6. The tracks have a much bigger focus on speed than being able to stop and turn.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I figure for a FH4 with realistic physics, they probably also have to clone actual road geometry. Kind of like TDU2 did in part. The city bits felt rather natural compared to open world games with synthetic road layouts, ignoring crappy physics.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

XBone likely doesn't have the CPU or even GPU to do environments as nice as FH3 at 60fps with non-trivial AI drivers. I think the reason S2 cars feel so off compared to FM6 R/P is that the framerate can't keep up with them.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
60fps is incredibly important to the sophistication of a game's simulation physics.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Shumagorath posted:

XBone likely doesn't have the CPU or even GPU to do environments as nice as FH3 at 60fps with non-trivial AI drivers. I think the reason S2 cars feel so off compared to FM6 R/P is that the framerate can't keep up with them.

They should put the driver ai in the CLOUD

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not much talk about the Hot Wheels stuff. Not good?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not much talk about the Hot Wheels stuff. Not good?

It's easier to post about things that suck

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my biggest problem with is that there are more places where cars can get really stuck, otherwise its pretty fun

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's a lot of fun if you turn manual shifting off because it's annoying to either jam the clutch in or shift to top gear the speed burst rollers. The exception of this is driving the isetta. You'll go much faster on the rollers if you clutch in when going over the rollers because engine braking screws you. It's the only way it makes it through the loops.

Taking massively underpowered cars and failing to complete stupid stunts is really fun.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

financially racist posted:

i guess i can accept new york because it was so dumb that it produced hilarious races.

motegi was inexcusably horrible in every single way a track can be, especially compared with the other two japanese tracks we lost. the only thing it has going for it is that at least it isn't the tilke-ified fuji, aka the actual worst race track in the world.

Fuji is fun and still a good technical circuit, come catch these hands.

I now also really want Forza Horizon 4 to be set in Japan, combination of highway racing, wide city streets (ala Yokohama from PGR2) and mountain/valley roads. Only hard part is it may be more difficult to have off-road racing, without a massive open desert, but could just make a few wider beaches and let you drive through tons of rice paddies instead. Could be as loving a note to car culture for Japan as Horizon 3 has been with Australia.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

harperdc posted:

Fuji is fun and still a good technical circuit, come catch these hands.

I now also really want Forza Horizon 4 to be set in Japan, combination of highway racing, wide city streets (ala Yokohama from PGR2) and mountain/valley roads. Only hard part is it may be more difficult to have off-road racing, without a massive open desert, but could just make a few wider beaches and let you drive through tons of rice paddies instead. Could be as loving a note to car culture for Japan as Horizon 3 has been with Australia.

Some day someone will put a game in the Seattle area and I will have so much fun.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
The hot wheels thing is cool. I might be the minority but I think blizzard mountain is better if you had to chose one or the other though.

Hot wheels is super colorful and unique in that it feels like you're driving a rollercoaster/ waterslide. Falling off the track sucks.

I have not beat all the single player stuff.
Online racing is fun and very populated (xbone).

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I heard that Horizon 3 was a turd when it was released on PC due to bugginess and glitches.

Has this been fixed? I downloaded the demo and performance seemed pretty smooth and stable there, but I read a lot of bad performance reviews from when the game first came out, so I thought I'd check here first before I buy the thing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

I heard that Horizon 3 was a turd when it was released on PC due to bugginess and glitches.

Has this been fixed? I downloaded the demo and performance seemed pretty smooth and stable there, but I read a lot of bad performance reviews from when the game first came out, so I thought I'd check here first before I buy the thing.

I still get the weird hitching every once in a while for no reason in particular, I haven't crashed in a while though

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a pretty beefy gaming pc (overclocked 6600k and GTX 1080) and when it first came out I didn't have performance issues but it would just freeze up a lot. Now it's pretty rock solid. I never get crashes or glitches. Unfortunately it will only accept input from one USB game controller so my thrustmaster shifter doesn't work alongside the wheel and I have to use paddles to shift instead. If you have a Logitech wheel the shifter should work fine because it plugs directly into the wheel instead of plugging into the computer so it sees it as one device.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've started taking my mr2 to the local road course to do autocross events.

all i gotta say is, real life would be way easier if i had a chase cam. also i cannot fit comfortably in the car with a helmet on.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
We've been telling you that third person view in any driving game is for bad people for like 5 iterations of this particular driving game now. Next you need to buy a wheel and let your vidjagaming make you better at autocrossing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I could play with the chase cam if it was completely locked and bolted to a fixed position relative to the car. I can't do Forza chase cams because of the lag time between the car turning and the chase cam slowly reorienting itself back to being directly behind the car. It makes the controls seem way too sluggish.

The chase cam is fun for dicking around off road but that's about it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bumper cam or GTFO

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Cockpit cam all day every day, even on that Audi LMS with the roll bars running through the windscreen.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I find cockpit cam really off in FM games. Maybe its because the steering wheel doesn't rotate 1:1 with you (and you can't turn off the wheel like in other games), and it just feels overall... disconnected. No idea why. I just use the bumper cam.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Hood cam 4 lyfe.

The benefits of the bumper cam with the added bonus of feeling a little more connected to whatever current sweet rear end car you're driving.

edit:

Also, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with Forza Horizon 3 right now. There's so much to do and absolutely no direction, which is awesome if you know what everything does and what everything you do will eventually get you, but I'm pretty lost at the moment.

Are there any good guides out there that, say, list every kind of activity you can do and what they get you, what the benefits of upgrading your festivals are, etc?

edit 2:

I am so proud of my offensive idiot redneck mobile:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 4, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cockpit seemed really good to me in Forza 3 & 4, but I don't like it in Forza 6. I use Chase cam instead.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cockpit in the forza games has always not had a good fov for me. even uncomfortably squashed in my car with a helmet on i feel like i have way better visibility than i do in forza's cockpit camera. that's always been my issue with it, otherwise i might have used it more often.

also another observation: dude who told me i should get a racing harness to help keep me steady in the seat rather than for safety, saying it'd make me more easily get fast times. i thought he was blowing smoke up my rear end but after driving hard for a few laps he was fuckin totally right and now i need to put that on my shopping list. like if you've never driven a car that way before it's kinda shocking how poor a stock shoulder belt keeps you centered in the seat and how much effort you need to put into staying there.

Ether Frenzy posted:

We've been telling you that third person view in any driving game is for bad people for like 5 iterations of this particular driving game now. Next you need to buy a wheel and let your vidjagaming make you better at autocrossing.

i won't deny i'm a bad person but at least i'm fast bad person in forza with my heretical chase cam. only panda and harrison could consistently beat me back in the day when goons actually raced together, with whatcubed being the guy i usually raced for 2nd if panda was with us (until i inevitably binned it due to my insistence on always using sim steering and how often that hosed me, especially in that evil, evil tesla roadster i loved so much). i hope when forza 7 comes out more goons play consistently, especially with it being on pc.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 4, 2017

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Chase cam when playing with a controller, cockpit when playing with a wheel. I almost always play Forza with a controller though.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I like cockpit or hood cam in forza 6 but in Horizon I like using chase because I don't really take it as seriously.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

i won't deny i'm a bad person but at least i'm fast bad person in forza with my heretical chase cam. only panda and harrison could consistently beat me back in the day when goons actually raced together, with whatcubed being the guy i usually raced for 2nd if panda was with us (until i inevitably binned it due to my insistence on always using sim steering and how often that hosed me, especially in that evil, evil tesla roadster i loved so much). i hope when forza 7 comes out more goons play consistently, especially with it being on pc.

Hmm so what you're saying is driving in third person is a crutch that makes people artificially fast, I wonder if anyone's ever noticed that before.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hmm so what you're saying is driving in third person is a crutch that makes people artificially fast, I wonder if anyone's ever noticed that before.

in fact i what i am saying is that

cockpit in the forza games has always not had a good fov for me. even uncomfortably squashed in my car with a helmet on i feel like i have way better visibility than i do in forza's cockpit camera. that's always been my issue with it, otherwise i might have used it more often.

that's not to mention specific cars like the esprit which have especially lovely cockpit cams where you can't see a fuckin thing. the cockpit cam in this series is just flat-out not good.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I guess it's me saying that then because all of my RL and internet friends who drive 3rd person are reliably 'faster' than people who drive in bumper or cockpit cam because you can see further down the road than you can in the 1st person views, but from the same set of people, those who drive cockpit view are all reliably faster with no quotes in actual driving events using actual cars.

I'm not knocking 3rd person drivers, there's a lot of actually very fast ones here that do so - I'm just saying "It's an assist, not a handicap" and I feel you're missing out on a lot of transferrable skills by not driving in 1st person with a wheel.

I like the cockpit cam just fine and have been using that exclusively since Forza 2 and that includes the cars you can't see out of. Try the bumper cam if you don't like it. I'm trying to offer chances to find more enjoyment, not knock how you play your videogame.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

Bumper cam or GTFO
Me, since Gran Turimo 1.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

dentist toy box posted:

I like cockpit or hood cam in forza 6 but in Horizon I like using chase because I don't really take it as seriously.

Chase cam is acceptable for Horizon, as is an automatic gearbox. Honestly the racing in Horizon is real who gives a gently caress on the whole.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ughhhhhhh almost a week until Forza 7 reveal. I'm already very hard right now.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Boy, someone's bitter about people being faster with chase cam.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

Ughhhhhhh almost a week until Forza 7 reveal. I'm already very hard right now.

if they brought back suzuka, camino, maple valley and the storefront and made literally no other changes or additions i'd pay full price for forza 7

though i would really love to see more obscure sports cars and especially would love to see the insane kei sports car trio of the capuccino, beat and az-1 (which is a car i will someday own irl)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

if they brought back suzuka, camino, maple valley and the storefront and made literally no other changes or additions i'd pay full price for forza 7

though i would really love to see more obscure sports cars and especially would love to see the insane kei sports car trio of the capuccino, beat and az-1 (which is a car i will someday own irl)

Praying for Maple Valley to make a return. I would take anything, I just want more Forza Motorsport. So excited for the next game and will absolutely pay full price for whatever the ultimate edition is. Hopefully it'll be like the previous games too where you get to play a few days early if you pre-order the most expensive edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Guys they made an entire game out of Maple Valley called Forza Horizon

• Locked thread