Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I appreciate the tips, but I was mostly just asking because TC hammers are a fairly simple early-game option for clearing out large rooms inside a mountain. I do find most of the other tools finally usurp TC tools as "obvious best".
Also not sure what I'll need the energy for in the context of that post, but it's nice to know about this stuff. The game mentions that lots of generators have been rebalanced, but doesn't say how. It just says to mess around with them but without bottom lines it's hard to figure. I got a Draconic Core early on as a lootbag drop so I considered making a simple Draconic Evolution Generator, but I guess a steam dynamo is probably more efficient? Again the only way to mess around with them is to build them all and that's going to end up with a lot of "wait, this one sucks" after sinking an investment cost -- or better yet, just not knowing it was an option because naming conventions in different mods means you can't simply type "GENERATOR" in NEI and expect to get a comprehensive list. I mean hell, you'd miss dynamos entirely that way.

On the other note, are there better ways to get mending in this pack? I know it was a chore to get it in vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'd suggest veinmining with the pickappa really. Will have to fill a few spots back in but it works quite well

Actually how I've been mining in general too, go down to lava level, make a giant tunnel revealing a shitload of ores, grab what you need.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Copying enchantments with the Atomic Reconstructor and Disenchantment Lens costs 250k RF per enchantment. It's just a nice alternative to investing your minerals in Tinker's Construct gear. You can create the enchantments you need with the Ender IO enchanter, including Mending. Just search for "book" in the JEI interface, and you'll find the recipes for just about every enchantment. You can then just migrate the enchantments from item to item with some RF and experience. Lapis seems a bit more rare in CoTT, and maxing out fortune in one or more Tinker's Construct tools is expensive.

Ore Excavator is great. You're only limited by the durability of your tool and your hunger. The pickappa is a great suggestion to take care of the durability issue. An Armor Imbuement Table lets you enchant a helmet with infinite hunger replenishment. That's also useful if you find a big excavation spell in an Artifact Loot Bag.

The Lens of Disenchantment is nice because it doesn't cost xp to disenchant, and does not damage the item like the Draconic Evolution Disenchanter.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 20, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man i am just not equipped for COTT at all

i can't even figure out how to cast ars magicka spells because i get pestered by ants any time i stand still and start losing hunger into the "don't regen" zone any time i do more than two jumps

i feel i have a different ruleset to internalise and that it may take some time

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

reignonyourparade posted:

I'd suggest veinmining with the pickappa really. Will have to fill a few spots back in but it works quite well
Actually how I've been mining in general too, go down to lava level, make a giant tunnel revealing a shitload of ores, grab what you need.
It's good, but by far too haphazard, and doesn't create the kind of box shapes I need, even with the shape modifiers (they go on too far and frequently punch through the mountain).
I'm just going to use the TC tools for minor base shaping anyway, seems worth the investment for a little convenience. Not like I'm going to be stacking modifiers.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Just a PSA that mob x-ray vision is disabled in grimdark by default

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also since it comes up a lot in regards to CotT: Why is Colossal Chests a bad mod? Genuine question since I haven't touched it yet -- should I just get the quest out of the way and not use it at all, or what?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
In FTB Beyond and Grimdark I can play for about 10-20 minutes before my CPU starts spiking and I get a second or two freeze about every 5 seconds. CoTT and Infinity Evolved both work fine. Any ideas why it would do that?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Also since it comes up a lot in regards to CotT: Why is Colossal Chests a bad mod? Genuine question since I haven't touched it yet -- should I just get the quest out of the way and not use it at all, or what?

It seems to cost a while lot for what skins to a large chest with no other improvements and requires a multi block structure to do so. Also no search function in the large ones you can make

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

It's good, but by far too haphazard, and doesn't create the kind of box shapes I need, even with the shape modifiers (they go on too far and frequently punch through the mountain).
I'm just going to use the TC tools for minor base shaping anyway, seems worth the investment for a little convenience. Not like I'm going to be stacking modifiers.

You can define your own shapes with I think Ctrl plus the mode switch key. Just change the -1 to however deep you want the mining to go. It'll still only mine a single material at a time, unfortunately.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Is Grimdark supposed to have quests?

It's got Better Questing, but no quest trees are set up.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ego Trip posted:

It's got Better Questing, but no quest trees are set up.

They haven't been made yet.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I just used the big chest for all of the miscellaneous gear and non-stackable stuff that I didn't want to waste a drawer on. The interface is awful, though.

Has anyone been able to use the Ancient Tomes from Quark? Supposedly they let you enchant items with higher level enchantments than vanilla. I read that you combine them with an item that already has the max level enchantment, and it'll add a new level of the enchantment. In CotT, I have trouble telling if some things are disabled on purpose, glitched, or if I'm just doing it wrong.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I just used the big chest for all of the miscellaneous gear and non-stackable stuff that I didn't want to waste a drawer on. The interface is awful, though.

Has anyone been able to use the Ancient Tomes from Quark? Supposedly they let you enchant items with higher level enchantments than vanilla. I read that you combine them with an item that already has the max level enchantment, and it'll add a new level of the enchantment. In CotT, I have trouble telling if some things are disabled on purpose, glitched, or if I'm just doing it wrong.

Quark Website posted:

Ancient Tomes are a rare loot item from dungeons and stronghold libraries. They come only in the highest level of an enchantment and can be combined with an Enchanted Book of the same enchantment to create one that's a level higher than the max. This costs 35 levels to create the book and an extra 35 to apply it.

Combine it with a max-level enchanted book (I believe in an anvil).

The tomes can not be directly applied to an item. They also never contain enchantments that have no level or "Protection" type enchantments.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

COTT, oh man.

So im searching for rubber. I still cant go too far over land so im digging tunnels. No matter how far i go im always under desert, and popping up is instant death due to ants.

So after a few hours i say stuff this, hit creative mode and fly around. My entire local area is surrounded by desert as far as i bothered to go (with the exception of a small area of savannah in the far north.

Oh, and i changed everything i thought would help with breeding seeds. Nothing changed. I still cant increase them and i get magical seeds instead...

Is there a way to cheat in 10/10/10s?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

COTT, oh man.

So im searching for rubber. I still cant go too far over land so im digging tunnels. No matter how far i go im always under desert, and popping up is instant death due to ants.

So after a few hours i say stuff this, hit creative mode and fly around. My entire local area is surrounded by desert as far as i bothered to go (with the exception of a small area of savannah in the far north.

Oh, and i changed everything i thought would help with breeding seeds. Nothing changed. I still cant increase them and i get magical seeds instead...

Is there a way to cheat in 10/10/10s?

Do you mean that when you plant any sticks, you're getting random seeds from Mystical Agriculture? That's a bug with current Agricraft: all the MA seeds have accidentally been set to a 0.1 spawn chance (spawn chance = possibility that they'll randomly grow in an empty plot). This totally breaks the entire mod, but is an easy fix (apparently)

quote:

Check the config/agricraft/.../mod_mysticalagriculture/ folder, because by default, all the Mystical Agriculture plants generated files with "spawn_chance": 0.1, where all other plants have been "spawn_chance": 0.0. With this on, the only thing a random plot can become is a MA plant. Turning them all to 0.0 (for instance, with Notepad++ find and replace in all open documents) should solve that problem.

If you're playing singleplayer you can just fix this yourself, otherwise the server admin needs to do it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I just had a crazy thought. I'm sure quite a few people here also play Factorio, so I have a question: Is there a logistics bots mod equivalent for Minecraft (1.10 pref).

For the uninitiated, logistics bots fly around carrying items from provider/storage chests to requester chests without needing conveyor belts or physical entities connecting the two.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ambaire posted:

I just had a crazy thought. I'm sure quite a few people here also play Factorio, so I have a question: Is there a logistics bots mod equivalent for Minecraft (1.10 pref).

For the uninitiated, logistics bots fly around carrying items from provider/storage chests to requester chests without needing conveyor belts or physical entities connecting the two.

Of all things, Pneumaticcraft kinda does this.

You can also probably program OpenComputers drones to do it too.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

naptalan posted:

Do you mean that when you plant any sticks, you're getting random seeds from Mystical Agriculture? That's a bug with current Agricraft: all the MA seeds have accidentally been set to a 0.1 spawn chance (spawn chance = possibility that they'll randomly grow in an empty plot). This totally breaks the entire mod, but is an easy fix (apparently)

If you're playing singleplayer you can just fix this yourself, otherwise the server admin needs to do it.

That might be it. Infact it will be. all the changes i made were in agricraft, not mystical agricraft.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Quick CoTT tip: rubber can be made from turds and slag. Instead of searching forever for a stupid tree just make the mystical agriculture seed. As a bonus you know deep down that your machines are in some small way made from actual poo poo.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just took to the sky via the magic of slime boots and slingshot when I decided I needed some rubber trees.

Seriously, get these two items, always travel by them. gently caress worrying about enemies when you can bounce over hundreds of blocks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Do slime boots negate all fall damage? If so they are a lot better than i thought.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Do slime boots negate all fall damage? If so they are a lot better than i thought.

They not only negate all fall damage, they bounce you almost as high as you fell and with momentum preserved. It's like a Portal portal.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Ego Trip posted:

Yes, with all the mods in grimdark it's a good platform but this also means quest creation is a huge undertaking and would benefit from crowdsourcing so if anyone is interested in creating quests hop in the discord and I can set you up. Betterquesting has a fairly straight forward GUI and I'll add you as a contributor to the pack on curseforge. Ideally we'd have a number of questlines showcasing different mods but they can be whatever you want and I'm totally open to ideas especially if they're crazy.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Serifina posted:

Combine it with a max-level enchanted book (I believe in an anvil).

The tomes can not be directly applied to an item. They also never contain enchantments that have no level or "Protection" type enchantments.

Thanks! I was combining with the enchanted item and not the enchantment apparently.

I have yet to see any rubber trees so far in CotT. I just made rubber with the slag + turd recipe, then crafted rubber mystical agriculture seeds.

It's good to get the coke oven + blast furnace early on. Even if you don't need steel, the coke, creosote and slag are very useful.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm still in the very early stages, since I've had to restart a few times, but I keep getting tripped up over what prerequisites are where. I wanted to set up an ore grinder or pulverizer for ore multiplying before I set spent a huge chunk of metal on making the blast furnace, only to find out that TE machines need RS cables, which require nether quartz, and I'm sure as hell not ready to hit the Nether yet. Other grinders and machines need steel, so I figured I'd just have to spend the metal directly and take the loss for now.

Then I remembered Tinker's Construct smelteries automatically increase ore yield, without the need for machines. :doh:

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

The TC Smeltery also triples ore in CoTT.

For an easier start, chop wood and complete the quest that gives you a home blueprint. Place the home. Take the bed, and climb down the ladder. Live at the bottom of the hole until you save up enough reinforced stone to make a home on the surface. If you keep the tunnel lit, you're just about perfectly safe. You can store a few things in TC crafting stations until you get creosote for chests. You get tons of free food from completing quests.

Once you get a reinforced stone home and some decent equipment, the difficulty is much less ridiculous. I built in the open, and just put spikes around my home. Extra Utilities 2 stone spikes are cheap, but time consuming to craft. The iron spikes from mob grinding utilities cause dead enemies to drop loot AND experience. I placed water source blocks 7 blocks away from my home, so the spikes are just barely covered by water. Haven't lost any spikes since. You don't even need a solid wall of spikes. Leave a space or 2 between each spike, and they'll still do the trick. I disabled nerd-poling zombies, because they were messing with the flow of my water. If you add an overhang to the walls, the zombies can't scale them anyway.

Before I added Absorption Hoppers to automatically harvest items and xp, I just ran around outside my base every morning for free loot. I'm at full difficulty now, and never even bothered with turrets. The biggest hassle was the massive craters from creepers. I just slowly covered the craters with reinforced stone. Now I have a big flat area around my base, which allows enemies to walk right into my spikes. So far, they've only broken about 5 reinforced stone blocks.

It's all about getting that safe haven. Even a small area surrounded in reinforced stone will let you work through the quests.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a regular means in 1.10.2 to mine at the obsidian level without using machines for steelmaking or diamonds? Alumite was a nice one for this but it got removed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a regular means in 1.10.2 to mine at the obsidian level without using machines for steelmaking or diamonds? Alumite was a nice one for this but it got removed.

Knightslime. Get some purple leaf saplings from a slime island and some slimy dirt, bring em back to base, and harvest purple slime. Alloy with iron and cobblestone.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Diamonds are still pretty good, you only need one on a TC tool. If it's the limited number of modifier slots you're concerned about, Tinker Tool Leveling will help there (if you don't have it already).

But Knightslime is probably easier to set up. I've just never messed with those islands.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The purple slime saplings are producing green slime with the occasional drop of a purple slime ball. Is that about right?

FWIW I just proceeded to steel.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
In 1.10.2 the TE pulverizer shows as the redstone furnace in WAILA and the EU watermill shows as a solar panel.
Is this just in mine or the same for everyone? The second day I have noticed it.
Also, whats a good low level item transport before I can get to conduits?

e: I accidentally chose bounce in AM2 but the /respec doesnt work nor does the /give skillpoints. But thats all I can find on the wiki.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 22, 2017

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OgNar posted:

In 1.10.2 the TE pulverizer shows as the redstone furnace in WAILA and the EU watermill shows as a solar panel.
Is this just in mine or the same for everyone? The second day I have noticed it.

I noticed that, as well as the supplemental machine that takes coolant and speeds up neighboring machines appearing as the Aqueuouououous Accumulator.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The purple slime saplings are producing green slime with the occasional drop of a purple slime ball. Is that about right?

FWIW I just proceeded to steel.

Yes.

You can also find slime islands with blue/purple trunk trees and blue/purple liquid and congealed slime. That's where I got the majority of purple slime I needed for Knightslime.

I really like using a Knightslime/Cobalt/Sponge combo for my pickaxes and shovels in 1.10, the new TiCon stuff is super cool.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

OgNar posted:

Also, whats a good low level item transport before I can get to conduits?

e: I accidentally chose bounce in AM2 but the /respec doesnt work nor does the /give skillpoints. But thats all I can find on the wiki.

Dareon posted:

I noticed that, as well as the supplemental machine that takes coolant and speeds up neighboring machines appearing as the Aqueuouououous Accumulator.

It shouldn't be doing that. It doesn't, in any of my instances (both personal packs, FTB Beyond, or the DW20 pack). What packs are y'all using?

Edit: Wait, are y'all actually using WAILA? If so, stop. Switch to The One Probe. WAILA is not being updated/maintained anymore and is badly out of date.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Serifina posted:

Edit: Wait, are y'all actually using WAILA? If so, stop. Switch to The One Probe. WAILA is not being updated/maintained anymore and is badly out of date.
There's a version called HWYLA that's been forked from WAILA and being developed actively still. Latest update was in April this year.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Having a bit of a weird issue on the Direwolf20 pack. I've set up a Vanilla-style wheat farm (where the villager breaks the wheat and a hopper minecart comes underneath to pick it all up) but it's not working, like at all. The hopper minecart won't pick up items through the block above it.

I booted up a creative world to do some testing and it won't pick up any items that aren't literally in its path, not even items thrown on top of it. Meanwhile, in Vanilla it'll pick up through fully solid blocks above it. Any idea what mod is causing this? I'd assume Railcraft but that just messes with the recipes as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: Some more testing and it is indeed Railcraft.

I guess I'll just slap on a vacuum chest. I was hoping to be able to do something more creative but of course the vanilla mechanics couldn't be left well alone.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 22, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Quick CoTT tip: rubber can be made from turds and slag. Instead of searching forever for a stupid tree just make the mystical agriculture seed. As a bonus you know deep down that your machines are in some small way made from actual poo poo.

Problem is making the tier 3? crafting seed. You need the middle thingy to turn the inferium up a level (or 2?)

I make some rubber using the above method, i just need 8 green inferium or get lucky with the crafter thing from a loot bag

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
I'm running a locally hosted server for myself and a few friends. Mobs move in discreet bursts instead of smoothly moving from block to block. Players both local and remote lag behind on their location inputs by a fraction of a second, an example is trying to enter a pressure plated activated door, showing they pass through it, only to have them standing back in the door square with the door closed in their face. TPS is 20, avg tick rate never gets above 10 unless someone does something extreme.

I've tried hosting the server on a different computer on my home network, but it has the same behavior for myself, as I was hoping it might have been due to resource issues.

This is for 1.7.10, not listed are Baubles-1.7.10-1.0.1.10.jar and CodeChickenLib-1.7.10-1.1.3.138-universal.jar on a machine with 8 gb of memory, 2.6 gb taken up by the client and so far no more then 1 gb by the server. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011
I haven't played Minecraft in over 5 years.
What are the currently popular mod packs? Back then I always enjoyed the packs that had pretty much every mod possible like Never stop toasting but I'd also be up for a more focused experience as long as I can gently caress up the landscape with giant machines and gather countless resources that I'm never going to need.