Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Because I was I dick to Jerry Cotton, I shall post my own terrible terrible opinion. I have to phrase this carefully.

Back during the election, when the Billy Busch/Trump tape leaked, I was underwhelmed. Of course it is terrible and unacceptable, but when I was a teenager my friends and I used to say stuff way more awful than that, just to be as transgressive and offensive as possible. It's seems kind of like code-switching to me. There was a lot of "locker room talk" like that when I was in the army.

This feels pretty indefensible though, and I don't talk like that now, so I'm completely wishy-washy.

The key is "when I was a teenager," not a 60-something public figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Michael Jackson and Prince are so similar and occupy the same slice of pop culture in both era and lasting influence, so they can be directly compared. Prince is better than MJ in every single way, except MJ was a better dancer - and IMO his super-technical dancing was less exciting than Prince's (still amazing but) less polished moves.

I just got into both of them after always avoiding each of them so I was a blank slate when I started to compare them. I know music is subjective, but it seems like it's an unpopular opinion to say anything other than MJ was on his own level and is untouchable. Prince is right there being the same as Michael Jackson in genre and time period, but while having legendary musical skills, better showmanship, cooler subject matter, a more confident persona, and more.

MJ is not on his own level, and was beaten at his own game by a more talented person.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Mj could sing and dance well but Prince was the whole package.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Prince was a really strong all-rounder. I remember after he died, Craig Charles did this episode of his radio show dedicated to him where he played the entire Purple Rain album and described him as an artist really well: he could (iirc - he might have cited slightly different artists) write songs like Stevie Wonder, he could sing like Marvin Gaye, he could dance like James Brown and he could play like Jimi Hendrix.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Craig Charles has a radio show??

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Craig Charles has a radio show??

Yeah, the Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show has been on 6Music, it's on Saturdays 6pm-9pm. Been going on for 15 years straight - he's been on 6Music since it started in 2002. I like it a lot - there's one episode I liked a lot where he had Benjamin Zephaniah on as a guest and they swapped stories about the performance poetry scene in the 80s. He has another one on Radio 2 (the Craig Charles House Party), also on Saturdays, that's been going for about a year.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 22:09 on May 20, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
All deplorable people (right-wing conservatives, neo-nazis, truthers, flat-earthers, etc.) should be deported to the Australian outback.

How they survive is up to them.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I like a lot of songs that critics have arbitrarily decided are the "worst ever written", including: Ob La Di, Ob La Da (Beatles); True (Spandau Ballet); Don't Worry, Be Happy (Bobby Darin).

There are some objectively awful songs out there, like Achy Breaky Heart, but these lists really seem like pretentious snobbery sometimes. There's nothing wrong with the songs listed above.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I like a lot of songs that critics have arbitrarily decided are the "worst ever written", including: Ob La Di, Ob La Da (Beatles); True (Spandau Ballet); Don't Worry, Be Happy (Bobby Darin).

There are some objectively awful songs out there, like Achy Breaky Heart, but these lists really seem like pretentious snobbery sometimes. There's nothing wrong with the songs listed above.

Counter point: I kind of like achy breaky heart. I mean I wouldn't seek it out to listen to, but if it comes on the radio I don't change the station.

There is no such thing as a song you could get everyone to universally declare it bad (or good). Someone out there, no matter what the song is, will like it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We Know Catheters posted:

All deplorable people (right-wing conservatives, neo-nazis, truthers, flat-earthers, etc.) should be deported to the Australian outback.

How they survive is up to them.
The British tried that already.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Most songs that are widely hated are just mediocre. Truly bad songs don't get enough exposure to make anyone's "worst songs ever" list.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Time zones are stupid and I support a One World Clock.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Munchables posted:

I agree 100%. Also there should be ten hours a day, 100 minutes an hour, 100 seconds a minute.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

I agree 100%. Also there should be ten hours a day, 100 minutes an hour, 100 seconds a minute.

How do you divide up three shifts to cover a ten hour day?

Think before you post next time.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

How do you divide up three shifts to cover a ten hour day?

Think before you post next time.

Play an LP at 1 rpm. When it's time to flip the disc, everyone gets to go home.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wait. No.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, those are just inoffensive pop songs that got way overplayed.

On a similar line, I think Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music is a perfectly good ambient noise album that was on the cutting edge of music when it was originally released.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Glitter is overrated but pastels are underrated. And Chappie was a great movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

And Chappie was a great movie.

When I first saw it I was wondering what the hell they were thinking making it basically a Die Antwoord promotional movie, but it slowly grew on me. It definitely doesn't deserve the level of hate it usually seems to get.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Twitch posted:

Yeah, those are just inoffensive pop songs that got way overplayed.

On a similar line, I think Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music is a perfectly good ambient noise album that was on the cutting edge of music when it was originally released.

Along those same lines is Sitting On the Dock of the Bay. One of Otis Redding's best and most original songs, but it's been overplayed so much by oldies stations that it's just background noise at this point.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think the standard green jar kraft grated parmesan cheese is a lot better than freshly grated real parmesan cheese.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Guess you do eat rear end.

:discourse:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That was done by a Bobby, but it wasn't Bobby Darin; that one was Bobby McFerrin!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was done by a Bobby, but it wasn't Bobby Darin; that one was Bobby McFerrin!

Well that's just, like, your opinion.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When I first saw it I was wondering what the hell they were thinking making it basically a Die Antwoord promotional movie, but it slowly grew on me. It definitely doesn't deserve the level of hate it usually seems to get.

What if I hate Die Antwood though?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh thanks! I hadn't even noticed that until you pointed it out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Don't Worry, Be Happy" is exactly the kind of song I could imagine Bobby Darin covering if he'd lived that long, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Field Mousepad posted:

What if I hate Die Antwood though?

That's a personal failing, you can't fault the movie for that

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Munchables posted:

Do you think the Earth is flat too

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Death Note kinda goes to poo poo when L dies and Evil L and Little L get introduced

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

I like In The Year 2525.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

bradzilla posted:

Do you think the Earth is flat too

No, but if you have an argument in favor of time zones I'm willing to listen.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Munchables posted:

No, but if you have an argument in favor of time zones I'm willing to listen.

Because the world spins around so the sun isn't always up at the same times for everyone. Or do you not understand that?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

Because the world spins around so the sun isn't always up at the same times for everyone. Or do you not understand that?

I know that, which is why I think if we just had one clock things would be easier than having to convert everytime you try to set up a conference call or some poo poo with people in different parts of the globe. "Will 6:00 work for you?" "No it's too dark around then, how about 2?" "Sounds good." Instead of "Will 6:00 PST work for you?" "Hm let me check, I have to convert to my timezone, oh jeez."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So who's timezone would become the standard? Zulu time?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Solice Kirsk posted:

So who's timezone would become the standard? Zulu time?

Whatever time zone this guy is in, clearly. People usually only have these ideas when they'll be benefiting the most, or when it would be most convenient for them.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Or just pick a random one, idk why you assumed I want my timezone as the only timezone

e: it doesn't even matter which one since there would just be one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Converting between time zones is super easy and you don't have to do it often, you do it once and then you're set and everything makes sense. Every time you travel east or west and having to re-learn when lunch is or when it's considered "evening" or "morning" would be a huge pain. "Open 2:00 till 11:00" can I eat lunch there? Maybe it's a late night place? Who knows because times have some local meaning anymore. In fact now you have to in your head convert the time for everything in your new location. 3:00 used to be dinner time, but in this place it's 9:00 so I guess +6 to everything based on what you were use to?

Or you know, just set your watch ahead +6 once and now time makes local sense.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Would obviously be Des Moines, Iowa time zone. Idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Munchables posted:

I know that, which is why I think if we just had one clock things would be easier than having to convert everytime you try to set up a conference call or some poo poo with people in different parts of the globe. "Will 6:00 work for you?" "No it's too dark around then, how about 2?" "Sounds good." Instead of "Will 6:00 PST work for you?" "Hm let me check, I have to convert to my timezone, oh jeez."

Time zones aren't that big of a problem for normal people