Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

I did a sweet flip at the start of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRFzk-KSGS8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Kibbles n Shits posted:

How can you tell what direction you're being shot at from? I've noticed several people saying that if you hear the pop in one or the other ear, the shot is coming from in front of or behind, and if you hear it in both, it's from the left or right. Is there any truth to this or is it just another example of people assuming that features from ArmA are in this game?

The sounds overall seem very inconsistent. I've been shot point blank from behind by a shotgun that made no sound, run over by cars that sounded a half a kilometer away, been duped into thinking someone was in the same house as me when they were actually closing doors in the neighboring house, and trying to judge the direction and distance of gunfire is an exercise in frustration

Generally just take the whizzes as an indicator that I'm being shot at, then listen for the report aka the gunshot itself. I don't have time to be running calculations about what 90 degrees is compared to where I was just looking depending on what ear I heard it in first.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Rookoo posted:

Is it just me or does that video have no sound?

(I've been messing with some audio stuff today, so it might just be me)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm having a good time here now that I'm dropping in the first town available. So intense.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

How can you tell what direction you're being shot at from? I've noticed several people saying that if you hear the pop in one or the other ear, the shot is coming from in front of or behind, and if you hear it in both, it's from the left or right. Is there any truth to this or is it just another example of people assuming that features from ArmA are in this game?

I have no clue what any of this one-ear, two-ear theory is. Sounds sound generally like they're coming from the direction they're coming from, for me. I hear footsteps or a pop and it'll sound like it's coming from my left or my right, or behind on one of those sides, and it typically is. I use wireless headphones (Actis 7) but no other special sound gear.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm having a good time here now that I'm dropping in the first town available. So intense.

Been enjoying dropping into what I've taken to calling The Sunken City, which is just Northwest of the school. But it's more of a flooded town than anything. Still, it's mine.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skoll posted:

How mod friendly is this game supposed to be?

Word is that the release version is supposed to have healthy mod support; and it's UE4, so it should be easy to implement and do.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Is it just me or does that video have no sound?

(I've been messing with some audio stuff today, so it might just be me)

Nah it's me, I listen to music and podcasts while playing at times and don't want to subject anyone watching to them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any of you guys using software to save replays of your gameplay? If so what are you using? I've been trying to use OBS with the Replay Buffer but it only likes to save like a minute of footage when I have it set to the last 10 minutes. Before I tried Geforce Experience but since I use push-to-talk it doesn't offer a way to bind that stuff to mouse and the file sizes it saves tend to be a bit too big.

Am I just not using replay buffer correctly or something?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aww beans. I changed my password and now I can't trade anything for a week.
I get why that's a good idea but... Ugh.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ashrik posted:

Been enjoying dropping into what I've taken to calling The Sunken City, which is just Northwest of the school. But it's more of a flooded town than anything. Still, it's mine.

I've started doing this pretty frequently as well, lots of concentrated loot but generally very little traffic. You're close enough to go knock heads in town, it's central so the first circle is usually not a problem, and you get to watch the road to the north and the open field to the south which are both common routes for people to take.

And by that I mean it's a horrible place don't ever go there, stay out.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Any of you guys using software to save replays of your gameplay? If so what are you using? I've been trying to use OBS with the Replay Buffer but it only likes to save like a minute of footage when I have it set to the last 10 minutes. Before I tried Geforce Experience but since I use push-to-talk it doesn't offer a way to bind that stuff to mouse and the file sizes it saves tend to be a bit too big.

Am I just not using replay buffer correctly or something?

I use plays.tv since it'll just record everything in a match and I can edit it inside the program itself. They really hosed up Shadowplay when GFE went to 3.0.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

unfortunately i didn't clip it, but i was playing a squad game with two buggies and i rammed into my teammates and flipped over which made me rage out and start shooting out my buggy until I saw them spin around and ram the downed one back which caused it to explode and they went flying. They were fine when they landed.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
First one! I was so focused that I didn't realize that there was only one left almost till the end. Then I saw him behind a tree and 'naded him into 2nd.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I got this today. my best so far was #6 where I played super aggressively with a shotgun, then ironically got killed when i decided to camp in a cargo container.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

got so close to a loving chicken dinner today. I found an M249 in an airdrop and murdered several people with it, all the way till there were only two left. I charged for the circle as the blue wall started closing, and was directly across a field from the guy who was also charging for the safe zone. I saw him first, put a couple of rounds into him, but I didn't let off the trigger and my m249 jumped around just enough to miss the guy. Then the guy finally killed me.

God drat it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

went back and played a little BF1 after having exclusively played pubg for a while and man, it is light years smoother...hope they eventually get to that level of quality here. never thought i'd say that a battlefield game comparatively good gunplay and i know it's apples and oranges but i'd say pubg has a while to go before they can jack up the price point.

also, i think playing this game has made me better at that game, because it's made me value an individual spawn so much more than before.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So right before my first solo win I went to this site:
http://www.144hzmonitors.com/games/best-settings-for-pubg-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/
And did all the things it said to do to improve my game except the ini stuff. My game was noticeably smoother and I really think that contributed to my win.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

I use plays.tv since it'll just record everything in a match and I can edit it inside the program itself. They really hosed up Shadowplay when GFE went to 3.0.

What's wrong with Shadowplay? It's been good to me, personally, when it comes to recording video. If plays.tv is capable of only recording game audio and not any other sound (Podcasts/music) i'm playing I'd switch to it in an instant.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Ashrik posted:

I have no clue what any of this one-ear, two-ear theory is. Sounds sound generally like they're coming from the direction they're coming from, for me. I hear footsteps or a pop and it'll sound like it's coming from my left or my right, or behind on one of those sides, and it typically is. I use wireless headphones (Actis 7) but no other special sound gear.

I use a lovely $30 pair of headphones and if I hear a shot near me I immediately alt and swivel until I center it. It's really straightforward and the only way I can figure people can't tell is if they don't use alt or use speakers

jubjub64 posted:

First one! I was so focused that I didn't realize that there was only one left almost till the end. Then I saw him behind a tree and 'naded him into 2nd.

drat nice round!

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 21, 2017

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Someone needs to fix the bullet collision on those wooden beams in the middle of windows. Nothing like being trapped in a shack you can't shoot out of while everyone is free to shoot in at you.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Roki B posted:

The looting system seems strange. My team and I usually drop, loot, find a few rifles some basic optics and sidearms and then....

then it feels like the smartest move is to, once you have some tier 2 vests and maybe helmets, gently caress off to the boonies and wait around for everyone else to kill themselves. Hope some shithead with good gear rolls by but if they don't you're still on nearly square footing for endgame.

Seems like an artificial time-sink but I can't quite describe why. The early game seems either too long or too lacking in mechanics when you're not engaged in a firefight.

Yes you're correct that low risk looting and then waiting in the hills for someone to maybe come by and for the circle to maybe close in you is a suboptimal strategy.

This game has weird mechanics that have lulled bads in to thinking that hiding and playing super risk averse is good because it leads to consistently OK results. But they are just that, only OK to mediocre results. You could literally never shoot your gun and probably make it to the top 25% super consistently but you will almost always get owned at the end by the dudes who have been aggressively pushing most of the match and taking strong positions/other nerds loot. It's also way more fun to push on dudes and try to be the aggressor than it is hoping you get lucky waiting waiting for rounds that you get a strong position due to RNG.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The sounds overall seem very inconsistent. I've been shot point blank from behind by a shotgun that made no sound, run over by cars that sounded a half a kilometer away, been duped into thinking someone was in the same house as me when they were actually closing doors in the neighboring house, and trying to judge the direction and distance of gunfire is an exercise in frustration

I can usually tell what general direction sounds are coming from, but I've also been duped by someone walking around the house next door. I knew they weren't close but couldn't say for sure if they were in my house or not.

Rookoo posted:

This makes me want the ability to lay down across 2 seats in a vehicle now. Not only to try to avoid getting shot, but also to be able to surprise people looking for a quick get away vehicle.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 21, 2017

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

causticBeet posted:

Yes you're correct that low risk looting and then waiting in the hills for someone to maybe come by and for the circle to maybe close in you is a suboptimal strategy.

This game has weird mechanics that have lulled bads in to thinking that hiding and playing super risk averse is good because it leads to consistently OK results. But they are just that, only OK to mediocre results. You could literally never shoot your gun and probably make it to the top 25% super consistently but you will almost always get owned at the end by the dudes who have been aggressively pushing most of the match and taking strong positions/other nerds loot. It's also way more fun to push on dudes and try to be the aggressor than it is hoping you get lucky waiting waiting for rounds that you get a strong position due to RNG.

True. I usually go for a middling ground where we push local loot spots then go hidey hole.

Anyway game is fun and I want bipods.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

jubjub64 posted:

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/games/best-settings-for-pubg-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/
And did all the things it said to do to improve my game except the ini stuff. My game was noticeably smoother and I really think that contributed to my win.

I did all this and now have around 60-70 fps on an i5 2500/760gt. Shits smooth as its gonna get. And while testing I did this in solo:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

jubjub64 posted:

Managed to get 6 kills after the two other squadmates I had drove off and died. Snuck up on a Jeep with 3 people in it and got 3 more in the closest house shortly after. Then my five AR bullets lost to a shotgun blast. I'm gonna say it's because of these settings and not me getting lucky.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Got my chicken! Got a bit dicey at the end. The last guy had a molotov prepped for me, but he was off the mark and I was able to take him down.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 21, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rookoo posted:

What's wrong with Shadowplay? It's been good to me, personally, when it comes to recording video. If plays.tv is capable of only recording game audio and not any other sound (Podcasts/music) i'm playing I'd switch to it in an instant.

It's really finicky on some games, BF1 for a while gave it problems because of the menu resolution being just long enough to screw up the works. In this game a couple friends I know stopped using it because it was causing random freezing. YMMV of course.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Add me to the chicken club!

Final circle just happened to be in this building. There was a guy on the top floor already but I got him with a grenade from below that reaaaaly should not have killed him, seeing as how from my perspective, it bounced harmlessly off the wall. But i'll take it!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

drat nice round!

Thanks! I kinda felt like Mr Magoo just stumbling into good fortune/cover the whole game.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Man yall can kiss my rear end, chicken is a poo poo meat and I don't want it anyway /grapes

Those nVidia control panel tips are ace, btw. rock solid now that my 970 isn't flailing to render FPS above my monitor's 60 cap

EDIT: to find this later:

jubjub64 posted:

Chard fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 21, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I still haven't bothered to get my solo chicken dinner, closest I've gotten is second and I only lost that one because it was me with an ump and an uzi vs a dude with an M24 from 250m :argh:

Every single person I killed that round had shotguns and other poo poo loot and I killed six dudes

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Add me to the chicken club!

Final circle just happened to be in this building. There was a guy on the top floor already but I got him with a grenade from below that reaaaaly should not have killed him, seeing as how from my perspective, it bounced harmlessly off the wall. But i'll take it!

This is a known bug that they are apparently fixing Soon

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So if you know your going to end up in a field in the last few rounds get a vehicle of some sorts and park it right at the edge of the circle each time, you'll have the luxury of mobile hard cover that you can knee behind and see other people laying down in the grass

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Scarecow posted:

So if you know your going to end up in a field in the last few rounds get a vehicle of some sorts and park it right at the edge of the circle each time, you'll have the luxury of mobile hard cover that you can knee behind and see other people laying down in the grass

This is a bad idea. Every time somebody tries that poo poo with me I just dump a few mags into the engine block and they get killed by the explosion.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
:whitewater: the 4x scope sucks balls

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jerkface posted:

For me it is exactly the right amount of zoom that I will always overcompensate when zooming in, either too much or too little, and die. Give me the 2X or a holo.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Orv posted:

For me it is exactly the right amount of zoom that I will always overcompensate when zooming in, either too much or too little, and die. Give me the 2X or a holo.

Red dot or any X scope, holo takes up way too much screen

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alright DAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

its actually really, really good