Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Growth rates are low and a level of just attack or speed is honestly pretty drat sweet. Alm and Celica are the main exceptions.

tell that to my celica who's only gotten 1 and 2 stat levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

:rip:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Tae posted:

Are gold coins that rare in the game? I got like 1 on Alm's route and can possibly get infinite on Celica's route because Golden Dagger produces infinite trade ins. I was gonna change the golden dagger into zofia but saw some that require 5 gold pieces.

I am pretty sure the gold coin requirements are DLC bait; I am honestly not sure how else the game expects you to get some of the higher ones without foregoing everything else.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

neongrey posted:

I am pretty sure the gold coin requirements are DLC bait; I am honestly not sure how else the game expects you to get some of the higher ones without foregoing everything else.

Well you can get infinite gold coins with Celica at least.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, but at that conversion rate, I am not too enthused.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How exactly do skills work? I equipped Alm with the Leather Shield and he leveled up the Shield to make and learned Swap. When I then gave the Levin Sword to Alm, Swap was grayed out on the skills menu. Does this mean I can only use Swap with the shield equipped? If so, boooooo. I thought you could bank up skills and use them whenever once learned.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

my alm has only remained relevant by being a warm body I could attach a shield to and jam into a choke

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
whoa when you promote kliff to a mercenary he goes from being the doofy one to being the brooding sexy one

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I beat the Necrodragons at the ocean shrine, but it was messy. Celica couldn't one-round them even with Seraphim and everyone else just got destroyed. I had to distract the dragons with Genny's summoned soldiers, then I picked them off while they chased after literal ghosts.

Cheesy, but it worked.

It would have been easier if Celica could use Seraphim on the Enemy Phase. She can't... right?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Ruggington posted:

my alm has only remained relevant by being a warm body I could attach a shield to and jam into a choke

To be fair that's how you beat half the maps.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My Atlas has like 26 str and 17 speed. Anything he looks at melts.

Making him a myrm is crazy good.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Zore posted:

My Atlas has like 26 str and 17 speed. Anything he looks at melts.

Making him a myrm is crazy good.

What up Atlas-using buddy :hfive: Wait until you get to Dread Fighter, he can tank magic as well on top of all that.

Dread Fighters are cool and good and Celica can get five of them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Uh, I hope Deen is supposed to be an awesome unit, because the choice is basically between a powerful mage and a brave sword or...a swordsman with a steel shield

not much of a decision

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Boey's secret is he gives Mae +20 hit, he could have straight zeroes and still be worth deploying for that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you recruit deen, he comes with the brave sword.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If the enemy is doing a "Oh poo poo too much damage' and retreat to a healing tile, will they literally never try to attack during that process?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

If the enemy is doing a "Oh poo poo too much damage' and retreat to a healing tile, will they literally never try to attack during that process?
they won't, near as i can tell.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Yeah, that retreating to a heal point thing is kind of dumb imo. It's unsatisfying and even out of character for some enemy units to turn tail and run on low HP, and usually it just means that I use my Sniper with 5 range to finish them off while they scrabble back to safety.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I only use the turnwheel if a character like Alm or Celica gets a bad level up. The RNG doesn't change until the next map, but that's okay I'll wait.

I've actually used a few of the revival springs, mostly on Clive's "no RES gets hit by 40% magic 100% of the time" rear end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I've been whittling archers down with Leon until they retreat and was asking if they suddenly turned around and shoot my whitewings.

Which uh by the way, I hope they reach that point where they hit hard and/or survive more than two hits.

I might also switch back to the Iron Bow for my archers because +30 hit is waaay more important than extra power.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Generic "bow" isn't effective against fliers, and flier effectiveness is only +4 damage

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Enemies having anti-flier skills is great because they prioritise fliers over other units with much less defence, and so Faye can just tank them all day while squishier units avoid hits from like 5 squares away.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean the Whitewings in general can't take more than 1 enemy if they're lucky. They're really fragile, and they don't do a lot of damage. I assume once they go Falco they're way better but eh.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tae posted:

Are gold coins that rare in the game? I got like 1 on Alm's route and can possibly get infinite on Celica's route because Golden Dagger produces infinite trade ins. I was gonna change the golden dagger into zofia but saw some that require 5 gold pieces.

Wait what's this about trade ins now?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Wait what's this about trade ins now?

You can trade in provisions and items for silver. The golden dagger has an ability to increase power and make any killing blow drop a provision. You then convert those trade-ins into silver marks, which then can be converted into gold coins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also one neat feature that most people iwll probably miss is the death post-battle lines. basically if you let a unit die a unit related to them will comment on it after the battle.

like if you let python die Forsythe will go "Oh, for pete's sake Python, get up. The battle's won. ... Python?"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Endorph posted:

also one neat feature that most people iwll probably miss is the death post-battle lines. basically if you let a unit die a unit related to them will comment on it after the battle.

like if you let python die Forsythe will go "Oh, for pete's sake Python, get up. The battle's won. ... Python?"

You still get them if you play casual mode funny enough.

15h in I'm not a big fan of the two army approach. In the end you have one army you like a lot more (Celica's in my case, she's basically the Tactician class and has amazing mages and isn't a plot idiot like Alm except for one scene) and tend to play more. Returning from your lvl 16 Celica with Tier 2/3 units with a wide range of spells and combat arts that melt anything to a lvl 8 Alm with a poo poo army of Tier 1/2 and poo poo equip makes for quite a whiplash. Also I have the "poo poo, I don't have a bataillon of super mages in this army" "drat, no cavalry killing Faye Paladin on this battlefield" "Oh, no, Silque doesn't have Physic, Genny over there does, you're screwed Forsyth"-syndrome .

Otherwise a fun game, with a bit of jank and some questionable design descision which I charitably chalk up as caused by the original from 1992.

Decius fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 21, 2017

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright something that is mildly irking me on an early subquest (chapter 3).

The dude is the Zofia treasury wanting a Mila Charm from the undead in a graveyard. Does he just mean for me to go back to the Deliverance HQ and murder things until the Charm (or whatever it's called) drops?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

The dude is the Zofia treasury wanting a Mila Charm from the undead in a graveyard. Does he just mean for me to go back to the Deliverance HQ and murder things until the Charm (or whatever it's called) drops?

Unless it's random, it should be in the big room to the left, where you have to break down the rubble to enter the doorway. That's where the enemy was for me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm pretty sure I got mine from a chest in some back room area in the dungeon area.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Dang. That's rough. :smith:

Also unrelated to that, gently caress THIS DESERT!!!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

How long are each act because i just finished celica's half of act 3 and I'm 20 hours in

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Does Devil Axe have a use or is it basically just free 50 silvers?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I feel like this desert is worse than other FE deserts.

Because Ceclia can only move one space at a time orz

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

I feel like this desert is worse than other FE deserts.

Because Ceclia can only move one space at a time orz

It is worse, by like a lot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Do peddlers respawn?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I gave the boots to Celica and the realization that that meant she wouldn't gain any move speed on promoting is crushing.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Celica doesn't gain Mov when she promotes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"Hi, welcome to our headquarters. Just so you know, it's crawling with zombies. That's not gonna be a problem, is it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Celica doesn't gain Mov when she promotes.

Well that's terrible. Though it does mean my decision to give Celica the boots is vindicated at least!

• Locked thread