Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My 12 year old daughter talks about the anime all the time so either she's watching old poo poo or they've made a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The old one is pretty enjoyable in teruns, but they've made like 4 spinoffs already. One was a crazy bike racing tournament that used booster cards!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I learned today that my Gyruss Arcade play is absolute garbage while I am sitting. If I play standing, though, I am mostly untouchable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

univbee posted:

Seeing the button layout popped a very weird question into my head. As the proud owner of the actual good Dreamcast arcade sticks linked earlier, I'm kind of wanting a solution for Genesis, and was wondering if:

1. There is a Dreamcast-controller-to-Genesis adapter somewhere out there
2. If this is even a possible thing, since basically all adapters I know of are older controller to newer console and not newer controller to older console

The dreamcast controllers actually use some weird packet switching thing to communicate iirc, like a small LAN, so I bet they'd be hard to convert to work with the genesis

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

In a twist that will shock nobody, Battlecruiser Millennium Gold is an unplayable trainwreck to the point that I'm not even attempting to figure it out enough to talk about it. You'd think after four bites at the apple they might have made an interface that made sense. In my half hour of stabbing at it trying to do anything I've managed to crash the game twice and there's non-stop visual glitches. Even the tutorial requires that you already know the interface to be able to learn to use the interface.

If I really wanted to put a ton of effort into it, I might figure out how to play the game, but since I know there's no reward of having fun at the end of that, I'm not going to bother.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Random Stranger posted:

In a twist that will shock nobody, Battlecruiser Millennium Gold is an unplayable trainwreck to the point that I'm not even attempting to figure it out enough to talk about it. You'd think after four bites at the apple they might have made an interface that made sense. In my half hour of stabbing at it trying to do anything I've managed to crash the game twice and there's non-stop visual glitches. Even the tutorial requires that you already know the interface to be able to learn to use the interface.

If I really wanted to put a ton of effort into it, I might figure out how to play the game, but since I know there's no reward of having fun at the end of that, I'm not going to bother.

You should post this in the Star Citizen thread so Derek Smart can read it.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

univbee posted:

Seeing the button layout popped a very weird question into my head. As the proud owner of the actual good Dreamcast arcade sticks linked earlier, I'm kind of wanting a solution for Genesis, and was wondering if:

1. There is a Dreamcast-controller-to-Genesis adapter somewhere out there
2. If this is even a possible thing, since basically all adapters I know of are older controller to newer console and not newer controller to older console

The closest we've gotten to a universal board was the Cthulhu by Toodles. It's original intent was to take a PS3 arcade stick and add support for the Playstation, PS2, Saturn, Dreamcast, XBox, PC Engine, 3DO, NES, SNES, and GameCube. It wasn't an adapter really, but a whole separate board. You had to have multiple cables, which people managed by rigging a RJ45 connection. They never added 360 support because 360 controllers had a license verification chip (or something) that wasn't cracked by the time Toodles stopped development.

Edit: It looks like Akishop Customs sorta picked up where Toodles left off with the PS360+. It added 360 support but lost stuff like the 3DO and the PC Engine.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 21, 2017

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i got problems

I've played SNES games on PC for probably fifteen years, but I finally bit the bullet and bought a USB controller and HDMI cable. ZSNES quit working when shifted to the television; the game window is off-center, immovable and freezes, so I switched to SNES9X. Everything looks good, but I've lost a lot of time from unsaved progress. I save often in-game and with save-states, and it seems totally random whether it 'takes' or not. This has ruined a couple playthroughs of Earthbound and FFVI because (ironically) I hate replaying poo poo I had just done. What's the problem here, and what can I do about it? Is there an emulator the thread recommends?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aliquid posted:

i got problems

I've played SNES games on PC for probably fifteen years, but I finally bit the bullet and bought a USB controller and HDMI cable. ZSNES quit working when shifted to the television; the game window is off-center, immovable and freezes, so I switched to SNES9X. Everything looks good, but I've lost a lot of time from unsaved progress. I save often in-game and with save-states, and it seems totally random whether it 'takes' or not. This has ruined a couple playthroughs of Earthbound and FFVI because (ironically) I hate replaying poo poo I had just done. What's the problem here, and what can I do about it? Is there an emulator the thread recommends?

You should use Higan or BizHawk to play SNES games now, unless your PC is actually really old and won't run them. SNES9x is pretty strictly something you'd run on old hardware these days.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fishmech posted:

You should use Higan or BizHawk to play SNES games now, unless your PC is actually really old and won't run them. SNES9x is pretty strictly something you'd run on old hardware these days.

Thanks, I haven't updated my knowledge of this stuff since 2002.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Aliquid posted:

i got problems

Is it saving to localdata or some cache that gets cleared frequently? I'm not well-versed on how emulator saves work.

If you're computer can run it, Higan is the most accurate SNES emulator (it has fair-to-bad support for many systems, but the SNES portion is top-notch). Being accurate means it takes a lot of system resources so it isn't light weight, but sound and graphics will tend to be more 'correct.' I haven't had any issues saving with Higan in playthroughs of DQ3 and BoF2.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BoF2 is one of my all-time favorites, warts and all. Not many actually challenging RPGs from that era. I've never seen a savefile and have no idea how it works between savestates and in-game saves.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Higan won't open for me after downloading, can't figure out why. I tried BizHawk and it works fine, but only detects the B button on my controller. I can't change the inputs because the "Controller" tab is grayed out. Tried restarting a few times with various plugged in/unplugged configurations and it doesn't change. How do I set controller buttons in this program?

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
So I recently got a sweet deal on a Turbo Express in dire need of a cap kit and now that I've restored it, I've come to play the thing quite a lot and am hoping to find a reliable but cheap AC adapter for it. Anyone have any thoughts?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just got the HD cable for the Xbox. Crimson Skies looks nice and clean and Dark Alliance 2 doesn't look like blurry poo poo anymore.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Aliquid posted:

BoF2 is one of my all-time favorites, warts and all. Not many actually challenging RPGs from that era. I've never seen a savefile and have no idea how it works between savestates and in-game saves.

Loading a save state also resets the battery save file to what it was when the state was saved. It has to, because most games use the SRAM during gameplay as well. You shouldn't ever use both save states and the in-game saves at the same time. Stick to one or the other.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I bought the cheapest wireless controllers for my NES Classic I could find($5) just to get me though till the SNES Classic comes out, then I was going to get a solution for both if the SNES Classic uses the same Wii nunchuck ports.

I was blown away. The Dpad is perfect. It's the exact feel of an NES controller. The buttons are too. I'm not a super fan of the button layout, I'd much rather have turbo switches, if I'm going to have turbo, like on a Turbografx controller. Really the only issue I had was trying to hold turbo B while jumping with A. You can use two at once with no issue.

Also, hitting start and select at the same time take you to the menu.

Took forever to get here, but still loving amazed at the price.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

James Woods Fan posted:

Just got the HD cable for the Xbox. Crimson Skies looks nice and clean and Dark Alliance 2 doesn't look like blurry poo poo anymore.
When you say HD cable, what do you mean? I've got my Xbox hooked up with Component cables.

Thanks for reminding me to replay Crimson Skies, that was literally the game I bought the console for and it still might be my favorite Xbox game of all time. I logged a stupid number of hours on Xbox Live in that game and even made it to the top of the global leaderboards for a while. Devastators 4 lyfe.
I would kill for another Crimson Skies game, I love that setting and its videogames.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

James Woods Fan posted:

Which component cables? I'm scared to buy a cheap China one but really don't feel like spending a ridiculous amount on the original ones.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zarikov posted:

So I recently got a sweet deal on a Turbo Express in dire need of a cap kit and now that I've restored it, I've come to play the thing quite a lot and am hoping to find a reliable but cheap AC adapter for it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Per this Gamesx.com table, the Turbo Express has a 7V DC power supply with 700mA of current and a 3.5mm x 1.35mm (or vice versa) plug. Looking at pictures of the OEM adapter, the voltage and amperage bear out. So you could try to find a generic adapter that meets those specs. An amperage higher than 700 mA is fine, but less than that and you may have issues.

You may also be able to use a 7.5V DC adapter, per the site selling one as such below:

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/products/power-supply-for-nec-pc-engine-gt-turboexpress

In that case, something like the Velleman PSSMV1USA would be a good bet. DON'T HOLD ME TO IT, but considering that the Turbo Express uses 6 AA batteries (which are nominally 1.5V each for 9V total), I suspect a 7.5V adapter might be well within the power spec of the Turbo Express.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Still having trouble using my usb controller with more modern emulators. Any ideas?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

When you say HD cable, what do you mean? I've got my Xbox hooked up with Component cables.

Thanks for reminding me to replay Crimson Skies, that was literally the game I bought the console for and it still might be my favorite Xbox game of all time. I logged a stupid number of hours on Xbox Live in that game and even made it to the top of the global leaderboards for a while. Devastators 4 lyfe.
I would kill for another Crimson Skies game, I love that setting and its videogames.

I never played the Xbox one but the PC version was the bomb, I bought a Sidewinder joystick just to play it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Aliquid posted:

Still having trouble using my usb controller with more modern emulators. Any ideas?

What controller is it? If it's not using XInput that might be why.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

What controller is it? If it's not using XInput that might be why.

I picked up these guys.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Cliche Guevara posted:

Did you pull the trigger on it out of sheer luck, or were you notified by some alert or something? I want this bad - but I wasn't sure if I would've ever heard from the creator. Did they send out an e-mail or something?
I got lucky. I subscribed to receive email updates whenever he posts but he didn't bother to post when they were going up. I just happened to be up for work that day and was checking my phone every half hour. From what I'm aware, he seems to open sales at like 1-3 PST in the morning so it's generally a pain in the rear end to get.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Aliquid posted:

I picked up these guys.

They're most likely dinput which is deprecated and will probably require an xinput wrapper to make them work.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Well poo poo, thanks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aliquid posted:

I picked up these guys.

It's really weird that those would work in ZSNES and SNES9x and not show up at all in BizHawk, they all use the same method for accessing the USB controllers, more or less.

You might try redownloading Higan. Also you wouldn't still be running a 32 bit version of Windows would you? The default executable download is 64 bit only, and won't run at all on 32 bit Windows.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They're most likely dinput which is deprecated and will probably require an xinput wrapper to make them work.

BizHawk works just fine with my early 2000s DirectInput based logitech USB controllers, that shouldn't be a problem.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 22, 2017

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I must be 32-bit, it says it won't "run on this version of Windows". I have a 3-year-old laptop, i5, 4gb ram, internal graphics, Windows 10 (which was a mistake to download, memory use is heavy). So, lovely but should be able to run most things. That makes more sense than the BizHawk controller problem.

Tried a couple others, isnes/bsnes, and they won't run games faster than 50% speed but the controllers work fine.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pablo Gigante posted:

I never played the Xbox one but the PC version was the bomb, I bought a Sidewinder joystick just to play it
The PC Crimson Skies game is amazing, the one for Xbox is pretty watered-down in comparison but it's still a good time. It was originally going to be singleplayer-only, and then it got massively overhauled late in development once Microsoft decided that it should be a launch title for the new Xbox Live service. A lot of the singleplayer content got gutted (although the basic plot remained the same) to make room on the disc for the multiplayer stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
On the plus side, the single player is still real fun and the MP was also. It's pretty different to the PC game, but it's a blast.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
The xbox version is far more arcadey and filled the void Sega made when they dumped Propeller Arena.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aliquid posted:

I must be 32-bit, it says it won't "run on this version of Windows". I have a 3-year-old laptop, i5, 4gb ram, internal graphics, Windows 10 (which was a mistake to download, memory use is heavy). So, lovely but should be able to run most things. That makes more sense than the BizHawk controller problem.

Tried a couple others, isnes/bsnes, and they won't run games faster than 50% speed but the controllers work fine.

Well your laptop is capable of running 64 bit windows, basically any CPU newer than 2008 is, and absolutely every Core i5 is. You'll have to reinstall Windows from 64 bit media though.

This should also help with the speed issues you have in general, as 64 bit is necessary to get the most out of recent systems. It also really helps a decent chunk of emulation.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They still make a 32-bit version of Windows 10? I don't think you can even buy a 32-bit processor (or a computer that comes with one) anymore.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Every computer that comes with less than 4GB of RAM and cheap tablets use the 32-bit version, usually because you're not actually getting anything from the 64-bit version even though you can run it.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/866285758428176385

This ad made me wonder if there's ever been a shmup that uses a trackball to maneuver.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/866285758428176385

This ad made me wonder if there's ever been a shmup that uses a trackball to maneuver.

Does Centipede count as one?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pablo Gigante posted:

They still make a 32-bit version of Windows 10? I don't think you can even buy a 32-bit processor (or a computer that comes with one) anymore.

Yes, it's meant for use with very old hardware and weird older software.

Elliotw2 posted:

Every computer that comes with less than 4GB of RAM and cheap tablets use the 32-bit version, usually because you're not actually getting anything from the 64-bit version even though you can run it.

No, 64 bit versions of software are usually faster these days, even when they don't need extra RAM.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fishmech posted:

Yes, it's meant for use with very old hardware and weird older software.

No, 64 bit versions of software are usually faster these days, even when they don't need extra RAM.

It's even getting more out of just 4GB of RAM than the 32-bit version, because the 32-bit version can only address 3.2GB of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Xenomrph posted:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Which component cables? I'm scared to buy a cheap China one but really don't feel like spending a ridiculous amount on the original ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F2JUOK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're not very sturdy and there is audio distortion when a game isn't running (at least for me) but they work.

• Locked thread