Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm more think of it being your duty as a person to get a job.

Do it now.
gently caress college. gently caress the "right job" Mike Rowe says just work yourself to death and smile.

I think he's speaking more towards people who wait rather than advance. Like, you work as a cashier for five years because you're waiting for your shot to go to art school or something; the message I'd take away is that he's saying you should put your effort and energy into the job you have at hand, and excel at it. You may not end up making a career out of it, but it is better to take pride in yourself and your work, even if it isn't work you'd like to be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think he's speaking more towards people who wait rather than advance. Like, you work as a cashier for five years because you're waiting for your shot to go to art school or something; the message I'd take away is that he's saying you should put your effort and energy into the job you have at hand, and excel at it. You may not end up making a career out of it, but it is better to take pride in yourself and your work, even if it isn't work you'd like to be doing.

The enlighten ditch digger ideology

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

The enlighten ditch digger ideology

And what's your philosophy then, o captain of industry?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

vyst posted:

to be fair unions are dumb

Lookit dis scab ova here

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

And what's your philosophy then, o captain of industry?

Whitey can get out.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

No. He literally says go out any get and poo poo job you can find and be the best poo poo job haver you can be.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

Whitey can get out.

But we do the jobs nobody else wants to do

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

is this like the mexican version of an anime tshirt?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Bombadilillo posted:

No. He literally says go out any get and poo poo job you can find and be the best poo poo job haver you can be.

No it's the first one, you're just being dumb.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mike Rowe was at his best shilling for QVC.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rChjMRfi40c

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nah he's saying he needs more grunts to do menial labor so he can film more episodes of "You work Hard and Die for The Machine​ to Continue" season 8

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah but he also says gently caress you, you aint got no right to be happy, unless you have "values" Also be early, stay late. Sure if you pay me. Otherwise no lol.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Also he went to bat for united after they freaked out on that doctor. He is no friend of the people!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Mike Rowe has gone from a reasonable "Not everyone has to have a college degree, trade schools are great!" a few years ago to promoting dystopian poo poo shoveler jobs so we may serve our corporate overlords.

Wonder what broke.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Zelder posted:

Also he went to bat for united after they freaked out on that doctor. He is no friend of the people!

Known "leftist" poster moridin did this as well and got banned for it lol

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Known "leftist" poster moridin did this as well and got banned for it lol

Good.

Give it two years and Mike Rowe will start earnestly endorsing selling your organs to the ultra rich

Edit: in the dirty job reboot his first job will be a pinkerton

Zelder fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 21, 2017

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nobody "works their way up" anymore

You get hired for the job you do and you remain their until you quit or are fired.

This just speaks to the general trend toward contract work in recent years

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

shut the gently caress up you uncool jokers.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Dreddout posted:

You get hired for the job you do and you remain there until your company can program a computer or train someone in India to do it.

Is increasingly the case in white collar industries.

I see the total number of (global) employees go up every year for major firms while local offices get closed and consolidated. The service from India is a lot worse, but those savings!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Mike Rowe has gone from a reasonable "Not everyone has to have a college degree, trade schools are great!" a few years ago to promoting dystopian poo poo shoveler jobs so we may serve our corporate overlords.

Wonder what broke.

When he said the first one tons of people high fived him on social media and shared his thing. So he has a few 'open letters' that get viral amongst people who believe millenials are lazy and thats what's wrong with America.

Its attention and positive reinforcement.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mike Rowe, like Adam Carolla, needs a smart guy to be next to him at all times to tell him to shut the gently caress up about stuff he knows nothing about and just be funny.

That's why loveline was good and the Carolla podcast sucks, and that's why Mike Rowe is good on shows with producers and poo poo on social media.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mike Rowe is barely funny though, so he should probably just shut the gently caress up about everything forever imo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Mike Rowe, like Adam Carolla, needs a smart guy to be next to him at all times to tell him to shut the gently caress up about stuff he knows nothing about and just be funny.

That's why loveline was good and the Carolla podcast sucks, and that's why Mike Rowe is good on shows with producers and poo poo on social media.

Nah Adam Carolla was never funny.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

He was funny on the man show sometimes but not often enough to justify his existence

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I never listen to Adam carollas show. What brand of shitheal is he?

My guess is boohoo PC police don't like me being an rear end in a top hat.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

He is a more whiny and annoying Howard Stern

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I went from being a high school dropout in Oklahoma who worked in fast food for ten years to having a PhD in biology and getting to travel all over the world working on ways to save threatened and endangered species. My life has been immeasurably enriched by that both financially and in terms of my own happiness, and I might actually be making the world a better place maybe a bit. If I had listened to advice like this, I would probably be managing a Taco Bueno right now, so gently caress Mike Rowe and gently caress anyone who tells people they shouldn't try to have the life they deserve. It doesn't always work out, but if you piss away your life not trying you might as well be a farm animal. Unreasonable dreams are the only way big things can happen.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Climate change gonna wipe out everything your life is meaningless

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
But it's a hell of a lot more fun.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean seriously that's why I said "maybe a bit"; I honestly don't think we have it in us to do the right thing. At least not the USA and China, and without them it's kinda meaningless. Nevertheless on a personal level my career has been one of the most enriching things in my life, and I never would have even started had I listened to jackass advice like that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fun anecdote about fatalism in climate change researchers: I was talking to a very famous person in the field, saying that often I get a bit depressed about the futility of trying to do great science that never affects policy . She said "when I feel like that I say to myself 'well at least when they gently caress everything up, I'm going to make sure the motherfuckers can't say nobody told them what they were doing'". Which is a pretty good fallback motivation for when you run out of faith in humanity. It's bleak but I legit find it inspirational sometimes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dreddout posted:

Nobody "works their way up" anymore

You get hired for the job you do and you remain their until you quit or are fired.

This just speaks to the general trend toward contract work in recent years

This may very well be true; I certainly saw no true upward mobility at the service industry workplaces I did. I had better options working in a warehouse, but only marginally so.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Trig Discipline posted:

I went from being a high school dropout in Oklahoma who worked in fast food for ten years to having a PhD in biology and getting to travel all over the world working on ways to save threatened and endangered species. My life has been immeasurably enriched by that both financially and in terms of my own happiness, and I might actually be making the world a better place maybe a bit. If I had listened to advice like this, I would probably be managing a Taco Bueno right now, so gently caress Mike Rowe and gently caress anyone who tells people they shouldn't try to have the life they deserve. It doesn't always work out, but if you piss away your life not trying you might as well be a farm animal. Unreasonable dreams are the only way big things can happen.

Do you like working from home?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's a mixed bag. I work best from home, but at my last gig in Australia my commute was 1.5 hours each way so I ended up working from home most days and really didn't interact with my colleagues face to face very much. That gets a bit isolating after a while.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk

e: or did I just miss the joke and you were going to try to convince me to join your multilevel marketing scheme?

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 22, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
a bunch of facebooks internal moderation guidelines got leaked to the garda

so of course they proceed to wiggle their finger at how bad facebook is and how good Guardian moderation is

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/may/21/revealed-facebook-internal-rulebook-sex-terrorism-violence

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I like when Mike Rowe talks to me about the hard work it takes to get me my delicious crab.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

I like when Mike Rowe talks to me about the hard work it takes to get me my delicious crab.

I prefer my crab from boats harvest from fishermen that were eventually lost at sea

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
SHUT UP, SCAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, if Rowe's gone off a deep end that's unfortunate, I enjoyed Dirty Jobs and I thought that it was pretty nice to have a TV personality advocating that people study the trades and honor manual labor more. We live in an era where everyone is basically educated by society to be clerks, and people sneer at being, say, a plumber, despite how much money that job earns and the skill and craft required to perform it well.

• Locked thread