Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that wasn't the question asked (and that'd get you to just under $13 by 2027)

It was, though?

flashman posted:

Once you adjust for inflation and consider the decade of implementation 15 dollars is not much higher than it has been in the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Red Minjo posted:

It was, though?

Yeah, and the comparison doesn't make sense without considering the implementation time in the first place either, since the discussion is specifically over reaching a minimum wage of $15 in 10 years, not right now. So even if flashman wasn't referring to the decade of implementation (which he of course was) a non-disingenuous reply would be one that does take into account the implementation time. And then there's also the fact (mentioned in the part you quoted) where he says $15 is "not much higher", so basically he was completely correct from the beginning.

But actually being accurate or finding solutions to these problems isn't the goal at all, is it? WhiskeyJuvenile(/JeffersonClay, etc)'s goal is just to be relentless contrary against people they have a gut feeling are dumb for, uh, reasons, I guess. Their arguments in this thread transparently reveal a lack of concern for actually achieving positive change (for reasons I've articulated earlier in this thread*), and instead are just contrarianism against people they perceive to be dumb.

*Just to reiterate a bit, the overwhelming majority of their posts are just contrarianism towards other people. And in some cases they're even correct about certain topics, but the way they argue makes it abundantly clear that they don't actually care much about the problems in question. Because if they did, the responses would be along the lines of "I think a better way to deal with this problem is Y, because (reasons)", or at least something indicating acknowledgement that the status quo is unacceptably bad and change needs to come sooner rather than later (if at all possible).

In most cases, this stems from the fact that people with relatively happy, financially stable lives naturally fear negative change more than they desire positive change (since they have more to lose than they have to gain), which ultimately leads to a strong bias in favor of the status quo and against any particular change. Potential future pain is valued above current existing pain. "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know" is particularly true when the devil you know isn't that bad. There's probably a lot more than this that could be written about the psychology behind this sort of ideology.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think the crux of this particular issue is that these neoliberal scum don't see any value in improving the material outcomes in people's lives because they're incapable of empathy, or are bastards of some form. There is no convincing them because they fundamentally cannot think in such a way that would be conducive to improving people's lives instead of jerking off over GDP statistics.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Related to the minimum wage discussion, so the GOP has the most political power since 1928, the income inequality in the country is almost near Depression-era levels, various destructive economic policies will be implemented (major tax cuts, possible trade wars, gutting various financial and business regulations, stripping worker protections, etc.), severe cuts to welfare programs, all this is probably going to accelerate us into another Depression and a massive paroxysm of violence. Add in nixing of political norms that allow more autocracy and a growing authoritarian police state, it's something out of a dystopia novel.

Do I have this right?

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 21, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Confounding Factor posted:

Related to the minimum wage discussion, so the GOP has the most political power since 1928, the income inequality in the country is almost near Depression-era levels, various destructive economic policies will be implemented (major tax cuts, possible trade wars, gutting various financial and business regulations, stripping worker protections, etc.), all this is probably going to accelerate us into another Depression.

Do I have this right?

Comparing the coming depression to the great depression actually downplays the coming depression as I understand it.

All those things you listed + like 6 bubbles popping at once will be fuckin rad.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Comparing the coming depression to the great depression actually downplays the coming depression as I understand it.

All those things you listed + like 6 bubbles popping at once will be fuckin rad.

I just added that "Add in nixing of political norms that allow more autocracy and a growing authoritarian police state, it's something out of a dystopia novel."

But you are right though that the comparison between both is silly, it seems like where we are heading is going to be an incomparable catastrophe.

Oh and throw in any ecological disasters on top of that.

I'm desperately trying to find things I can be optimistic about but there ain't much.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that wasn't the question asked (and that'd get you to just under $13 by 2027)

Exactly.. not much higher than it has been in the past. It's not some sort of Earth shattering raise that has never been seen before, it's like 15 percent higher than it has been.

flashman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 21, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I'm desperately trying to find things I can be optimistic about but there ain't much.

Our deaths are coming soon, and will be quick

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Ytlaya posted:

In most cases, this stems from the fact that people with relatively happy, financially stable lives naturally fear negative change more than they desire positive change (since they have more to lose than they have to gain), which ultimately leads to a strong bias in favor of the status quo and against any particular change. Potential future pain is valued above current existing pain. "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know" is particularly true when the devil you know isn't that bad. There's probably a lot more than this that could be written about the psychology behind this sort of ideology.

This is literally and exactly why the current system is so terrible. Wealth translates so easily to power that the only people who have the power to fix wealth imbalances are the very same people who gain from that imbalance and have the most to fear from a correction. The system is built in such a way that it will never be fixed. Without that fatal flaw the system could be workable, but a system that discourages correction is a loving terrible system on that basis alone. If neoliberals really believed in capitalism they'd be scrambling for a way to politically dis-empower capital right loving quick so some kind of tolerable balance is achievable. But they don't. And they won't. Neoliberalism is just a justification for why the people with money and power deserve to have that money and power. They'll cling to every scrap of power and every scrap of wealth out of fear of losing any of it. The Democrats have been at it so long they are even losing the ability to pretend they're trying. Unfortunately for them they can only keep stomping on the left and its ideas for so long before it eventually won't even be an ideological battle, just pure reaction to the things they are doing and the way people's lives are going. And then... gently caress knows what rises out of that chaos. It's so loving stupid.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Do I have this right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2L1-TgfKb4

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tom Perez Bombs Speech, California Dem Chair Tells Protesters ‘Shut the F**k Up’
http://observer.com/2017/05/tom-perez-california-democratic-party-convention/

https://twitter.com/davidsiders/status/865738858326917121

quote:

The rift within the Democratic Party was on full display at the California Democratic Party Convention on May 19 in Sacramento, California. Progressives joined members of National Nurses United, protesting the Democratic Party establishment’s refusal to support single payer healthcare system. Rather than follow through with Democratic rhetoric that healthcare is a human right, establishment Democrats have responded to voters by scolding and attacking them.

During the first day of the convention, California Democratic Party chair John Burton yelled at protesting nurses to “shut the f*ck up and go outside.” Burton condescendingly told the protesters, “There’s [sic] some people who have been fighting for that issue before you guys were born.”

The California Democratic establishment, like the national party leadership, has favored corporate and wealthy donors, undermining pushes for a single payer healthcare system that would provide Americans with healthcare—not just health insurance. Eric Bauman, the California Democratic Party vice chair and candidate to succeed Burton as the Party’s chair, received $12,500 a month from the pharmaceutical industry to fight proposition 61, which would “cap the price that any state agency or care program could spend on prescription drugs at what the federal Department of Veterans Affairs pays.” Bauman received these payments while earning a six-figure salary as an adviser to California Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon. Proposition 61 failed to pass in November 2016 after the pharmaceutical industry spent millions of dollars opposing it.

During a rally at the state capitol, National Nurses United Director RoseAnn Demoro told supporters not to wait for establishment Democrats to take the lead on healthcare and making medicare for all a reality. “They cannot be in denial anymore that this is a movement that can primary them.”

DNC Chair Tom Perez spoke at the California Democratic Party Convention, offering the same meaningless rhetoric and platitudes that have incited boos, protests, and criticisms of his ability to lead. “We make sure that healthcare is a right for everyone,” Perez claimed. “And not a privilege for a few.”

Despite his claim, Perez and the Democratic Party leadership refuse to support Medicare for All, insisting Obamacare just needs a few improvements. Obamacare does not ensure healthcare as a right, but rather serves to maximize benefits to the pharmaceutical and health industries. Perez claims the Democratic Party supports providing healthcare to all Americans, but is unwilling to support the policies that will actually do so. After pandering to protesters on the issue and jokingly comparing their presence to infighting at Thanksgiving dinner—a stark change from his constant affirmations that the party is united—Perez reverted to the Democratic go-to in lieu of championing stances on actual issues.

“We have a president …. I don’t know who it is, Putin, or Trump,” Perez said to an uninspired crowd. “They’re in a bromance. This is really weird.” On May 20, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, who also doesn’t support single payer healthcare, focused her speech at the California Democratic Party Convention on Russia as well.

In contrast, at a rally for Bernie Sanders supporters at the State Convention hosted by the National Nurses United on May 19, former Ohio State Senator Nina Turner explained the need for the Democratic Party to address the issues impacting working, middle class, and low income Americans. “We need to deal with income inequality, racial justice, but Dems only want to talk about Russia!” she said. “We need a party that stands up for people & doesn’t fake it. In the words of Janet Jackson ‘What have you done for me lately?'”

tl:dr Democrats are a waste

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 21, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tom Perez Bombs Speech, California Dem Chair Tells Protesters ‘Shut the F**k Up’
http://observer.com/2017/05/tom-perez-california-democratic-party-convention/

https://twitter.com/davidsiders/status/865738858326917121

tl:dr Democrats are a waste

We're going to win, and we're going to ensure that sociopaths like JC vote GOP.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
How's the circle jerk going?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've seen multiple interviews with either disillusioned or hopeful trump voters now that have said they were hoping for single payer based on his campaign rhetoric and were disappointed by the ahca as a result. Replace the centrists with them imo.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

flashman posted:

I've seen multiple interviews with either disillusioned or hopeful trump voters now that have said they were hoping for single payer based on his campaign rhetoric and were disappointed by the ahca as a result. Replace the centrists with them imo.

Some solid evidence you got there

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The kind of people who love single payer as long as it's named after a white man are the kind of people you build a coalition around.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Despera posted:

The kind of people who love single payer as long as it's named after a white man are the kind of people you build a coalition around.

:lol:. This is perhaps the laziest poo poo posting in this thread. Whichi s saying something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love how the neolibs itt can't even keep their own talking points straight.

Is single payer a pie-in-the-sky dream for stupid babies who don't understand why the grown-ups in the party are right to write it off, or did the party offer single-payer last election and Trump supporters rejected it because it was named after a black guy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Single Payer will never ever happen, deal with it asswipes"
*Loses every single level of government*
"See single payer just can't win elections"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, and the comparison doesn't make sense without considering the implementation time in the first place either, since the discussion is specifically over reaching a minimum wage of $15 in 10 years, not right now. So even if flashman wasn't referring to the decade of implementation (which he of course was) a non-disingenuous reply would be one that does take into account the implementation time. And then there's also the fact (mentioned in the part you quoted) where he says $15 is "not much higher", so basically he was completely correct from the beginning.

But actually being accurate or finding solutions to these problems isn't the goal at all, is it? WhiskeyJuvenile(/JeffersonClay, etc)'s goal is just to be relentless contrary against people they have a gut feeling are dumb for, uh, reasons, I guess. Their arguments in this thread transparently reveal a lack of concern for actually achieving positive change (for reasons I've articulated earlier in this thread*), and instead are just contrarianism against people they perceive to be dumb.

*Just to reiterate a bit, the overwhelming majority of their posts are just contrarianism towards other people. And in some cases they're even correct about certain topics, but the way they argue makes it abundantly clear that they don't actually care much about the problems in question. Because if they did, the responses would be along the lines of "I think a better way to deal with this problem is Y, because (reasons)", or at least something indicating acknowledgement that the status quo is unacceptably bad and change needs to come sooner rather than later (if at all possible).

that's a lot of words to say "$15 is not much higher than $13" and after all what's the difference between $12 and $15 hillary 2016

(i'm for a $15 wage on a faster time-frame, fwiw)

flashman posted:

Exactly.. not much higher than it has been in the past. It's not some sort of Earth shattering raise that has never been seen before, it's like 15 percent higher than it has been.

I wasn't disagreeing; the minimum wage was also too low in 1968

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The point was it's disingenuous of JC to act as if 15 dollar minimum wage is this unheard of high that is going to have all these unknowable consequences when it's actually just a marginal increase over what has been in place in the past.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that's a lot of words to say "$15 is not much higher than $13" and after all what's the difference between $12 and $15 hillary 2016

That's not what this means. That $3 can be a small increment over minimum wages we've had in the past without a problem, yet make a large difference to the working poor person earning it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

flashman posted:

The point was it's disingenuous of JC to act as if 15 dollar minimum wage is this unheard of high that is going to have all these unknowable consequences when it's actually just a marginal increase over what has been in place in the past.

-ish; i mean i'd imagine setting it to $15 tomorrow would probably cause some shocks

but like it probably should be $15 in 2016 dollars, and it's gonna be more like $13.25 in 2016 dollars Bernie's "$15 by 2024" plan happens

which is to say it should be more like $17 in 2024, then index to inflation

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

That's not what this means. That $3 can be a small increment over minimum wages we've had in the past without a problem, yet make a large difference to the working poor person earning it.

If you use the same inflation calculator posted earlier at the inflation rate of the last ten years on the 11.47 value the projected amount is over 14 dollars. A 15 dollar min wage is a return to the past, not a brave new frontier.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

-ish; i mean i'd imagine setting it to $15 tomorrow would probably cause some shocks

but like it probably should be $15 in 2016 dollars, and it's gonna be more like $13.25 in 2016 dollars Bernie's "$15 by 2024" plan happens

which is to say it should be more like $17 in 2024, then index to inflation

Yes I agree with you there. Any min wage discussion taking place over a ten year implementation scheme will already be falling behind by the time it's achieved. Most likely the plank will be some bullshit 12 dollars over 8 years which leaves no one with any substantial increase in purchasing power.

flashman fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 21, 2017

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

"Single Payer will never ever happen, deal with it asswipes"
*Loses every single level of government*
"See single payer just can't win elections"

Lmao even idiots on The_D know it:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Going to the hard left seems to be working swell for Labour.

So what anyone who thinks the Fed min should be 13 or less is a sociopath? That how it works?

How many of you are refreshing r/justiceforseth right now?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
How the gently caress does everyone voting for republicans come off as a message for full communism now?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Despera posted:

How the gently caress does everyone voting for republicans come off as a message for full communism now?

bernie's america's most popular politician

also $15/hr isn't full communism now

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm refreshing r/justiceforfogle.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why do people put the r/ that doesn't make sense, it's a subreddit right? could you just say the subreddit with out the r/?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Turtlicious posted:

why do people put the r/ that doesn't make sense, it's a subreddit right? could you just say the subreddit with out the r/?

but then what if you didn't know that specific thing is a subreddit? the little r/ helpfully indicates that what is being discussed is both a subreddit and extremely terrible

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Despera posted:

Look at the actual votes, not the results. 3 million more votes for Hillary. Gerrymandering and voter suppression utterly raping democracy itself and causing the House to be red in spite of more D voters than R. Seems like there's room for interpretation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Despera posted:

Lol Canada is a communist state now? Liberals are just straight-up using Fox News talking points.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bernie Sanders' proposals are mostly to the right of Ike Eisenhower, and the so-called Democrat is redbaiting like McCarthy's back in style.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Despera posted:

Going to the hard left seems to be working swell for Labour.

So what anyone who thinks the Fed min should be 13 or less is a sociopath? That how it works?

How many of you are refreshing r/justiceforseth right now?

Lol you'd think spending the entire election being a smug Hillary shill and then watching it all go down in flames would trigger some sort of introspection, but nope! Despera is back to tell everyone why neoliberalism is still the true path

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Centrists have been using "full communism now" as a sarcastic insult to economic leftists for so long that they've forgotten it was supposed to be sarcastic and really believe that anyone left of Hillary is some sort of super commie at this point. LOL at the idea that socialized medicare and $15 an hour minimum wage are some sort of Bolshevik revolution.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
In fairness I am super commie, but I also harbor no illusion that we'd ever get there without an extremely violent revolution and that won't happen. So I'd settle for socialized medicine and a living minimum wage.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yes, but would you even want to live in the dystopia universal, not-for-profit healthcare and a livable minimum wage would bring? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2VxpTMAbas

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Ytlaya posted:

Given that the change occurs gradually, this isn't a reason not to do it, though. If we see things start to become worse when we raise the wage of $13 or whatever, we can go from there. Not that that's going to happen, because it's not like $15 is dramatically higher than inflation-adjusted minimum wages we've had in the past.

edit: Sorry, didn't mean to double post

It takes an astounding amount of raw stupidity to say that only people currently making minimum wage would benefit from a minimum wage increase, especially one of this magnitude. There are a hell of a lot of workers who make between current minimum wage and $15/hr though. I don't know the exact percent off the top of my head, but given that median personal income translates to close to $15/hr it's clearly a lot of people. This is only true if you use some sort of bizarre logic where you assume a minimum wage only helps people currently making minimum wage, rather than everyone between current minimum wage and the proposed future minimum wage (and that's ignore how it would likely drive wages upward some for people making a little over minimum wage).

Yes it impacts people slightly above mimimum, no this doesn't really change the argument. There are still two groups - people who benefit and people who pay.

quote:

edit: Also, there is no reason to believe that the cost of minimum wage would mostly/disproportionately affect poor people, especially when you consider that an increase as much as 15/hr would basically help literally every single poor employed person. You are literally just blindly claiming that because it would help your argument.

You would have to assume that 1. the vast majority of companies affected by a minimum wage increase would translate the increased costs to increased prices for their product/service (which is extremely unlikely) and 2. the extra cost from the said goods/services poor people purchase would end up outweighing the benefit from increased wages (also extremely unlikely).

I can't think of a single reason for making such a blind argument other than the fact that you're defaulting to being against the $15/hr wage increase and grasping around for any kinda/sorta/maybe plausible reason it might be bad.

There is always reason to think costs get passed on which is why over decades prices of all sorts of things change wildly and economy wide profits hold within a roughly similar band. If the subject was oil prices I doubt you'd push back that increases will eventually be passed on.

This study looks into prices and finds they're passed on, probably almost entirely:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=630515

quote:

We offer new empirical evidence using
output prices both at the store-level and aggregated to the city-level. In both cases, prices
unambiguously increase in response to a minimum wage change.

quote:

edit2: For the sake of accuracy, about 63% of people in poverty work, and literally all of those people would probably be effected by a wage increase to $15/hr (since $15/hr is well above what's considered poverty). And that's ignoring the fact that our current definition of poverty is WAY lower than it should be. If adjusted higher, that 37% rate of unemployment would likely decrease considerably.

The 63% is the main thing that stands out in this entire post because higher than what I've seen. I see other numbers like ~61% of poor families have nobody working. It may depend on differing definitions of working.

[https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/typical-minimum-wage-earners-arent-poor-but-theyre-not-quite-middle-class/

fivethirtyeight posted:

How you interpret these numbers depends on your perspective. The data shows a large majority of minimum-wage workers are in low- to moderate-income families, and a significant minority are flat-out poor. These are the people who could use a raise.

A substantial number of minimum-wage workers come from better-off families. Close to half a million minimum-wage earners are in households with six-figure incomes, and a million more are in those that earn at least $60,000. Any increase in the minimum wage would benefit those people, too — and that’s not the goal of an anti-poverty effort.

This is one reason many economists prefer the Earned Income Tax Credit and other programs that more precisely target low-income populations, although others argue that the minimum wage complements those policies.

But it is true that minimum wage workers arn't that poor. That chart doesn't differ much from the economy as a whole (50% of MWW at 40K or below versus ~40% for the whole economy). That's why its so important to figure out who pays for it - it's not very progressive to begin with so there isn't much margin for error

quote:

Yes, and there is no way this would actually happen with all businesses. Your argument is relying on a completely crazy assumption. Certain businesses would likely pass on most of the increased cost to consumers (restaurants come to mind), but this is unlikely to be the case for large businesses that rely on maintaining competitive prices (and are in many cases forced to compete with foreign firms, online shopping, etc). Also, even for businesses that do pass on most/all of the cost, this isn't that important for businesses where labor isn't a major percent of total expenses.

So you're mainly looking at a problem with businesses who 1. have a major portion of costs in labor and 2. are free to pass on that extra cost in the form of prices, due to either lack of heavy competition or their competitors all facing the same wage increase. Restaurants come to mind as a business where this might occur, but those conditions certainly don't apply to all businesses (and probably not even most, since I imagine those conditions aren't true for large retailers like grocery chains).

You're heavily oversimplifying the situation.

Yep there is a way that would happen with all businesses since passing on costs is what business do (and the opposite of what you say - low cost low margin businesses would be first).

The "labor percentage of cost" comment shows you don't understand the basic ingredients of the discussion. We care whether businesses pass on their cost increases to their customers or not - not what the ultimate cost increase percentage actually is (and all costs reduce to labor by the way).

A few closing comments: it remains obvious that minimum wage increases help workers who get it. By definition you can eliminate the working poor this way. But that doesn't mean its clear that this is a good approach to helping poor people overall or at generally redistributing wealth downwards which as far as I'm concerned is the most important goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

asdf32 posted:

We care whether businesses pass on their cost increases to their customers or not - not what the ultimate cost increase percentage actually is (and all costs reduce to labor by the way).

No, moron, if the cost increase is very very very small then we actually don't care about the increase. If Walmart raises prices 0.2% but millions more people are making more money, that is a net gain for society.

• Locked thread