Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

NickRoweFillea posted:

That chuckle after he heard that Klay called him weak was and still is bone-chilling

FYI he still hasn't lost in the playoffs since that chuckle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ghost Dog posted:

also the all ball handlers all passing team was pretty good at not getting bothered by the traps

The Heat traps were tough even for teams like that. You had LeBron and Bosh trapping up front and Wade roaming the passing lanes. Then Wade got old and you could pass around LeBron with impunity.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Shane Battier turning into a pumpkin was also a big deal.

Yeah, him being able to guard/foul opposing 4s and hit corner threes was key to that lethal small ball lineup. But again, those guys were at the end of their career. It wasn't that surprising that Battier sucked or Miller had no more fluke games left in him

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah, him being able to guard/foul opposing 4s and hit corner threes was key to that lethal small ball lineup. But again, those guys were at the end of their career. It wasn't that surprising that Battier sucked or Miller had no more fluke games left in him

loving hell you reminded me that Mike Miller hitting shoeless threes helped cost the Spurs a title

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Remember when Mike Miller did nothing all year and then came in and single handily sunk the Pacers in an elimination game

He was basically a 3pt playoff camel

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The only good thing to come out of the game tonight

https://streamable.com/rw6mv

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I feel like the odds of Kawhi playing in game 4 have to be near 0.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bashez posted:

I feel like the odds of Kawhi playing in game 4 have to be near 0.

Hard to imagine the point if he isn't 100%

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This series proves that Kawhi is the real MVP. Look at the Spurs in his absence.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Will Pop get fined for doing a DNP-Rest in the playoffs????

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

illcendiary posted:

loving hell you reminded me that Mike Miller hitting shoeless threes helped cost the Spurs a title

They amnestied him for tax relief right after that series too. Riley is a cold man and the tax man comes after all teams.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I remember when Miller teased joining LeBron in Cleveland and I was confused why people were making it any kind of a deal

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not gonna call the Warriors cowards because it's' not really their fault they're lucky but a Spurs team sans Kawhi AND Parker can't be that much better than the Celtics, surely?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

If the NBA was a wrestling promotion then it's been poorly booked since the last Lakers title, because the Lakers and Knicks are the money workers and aren't involved in the main event, which means they've left a lot of money on the table, and booking to make money is the actual point of wrestling booking.

Wow that's like saying Vince McMahon was a better promoter than Paul Heyman

It's soulless. There's more to life than money, Rick!

edit:
In case this reference does not make sense Heyman was the owner/promoter for Extreme Championship Wrestling. In the financial sense, it was a failure and it went bankrupt. In the entertainment sense, it was one of the greatest promotions anyone had ever seen and it was hugely influential. The Attitude era in WWE was almost entirely lifting and PG-13ing some of the more entertaining bits of ECW. Check out some of the old PPVs they're fantastic.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 21, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
*shudders in fear at the name Mike Miller*

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Getting enough distance from the Lebron-Heat era is making me miss it.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Welp this is happening, two 12-0 teams. Way to go rest of NBA, y'all suck rear end.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Can we move the Jazz to the East? I'd love to see them play a bunch of those teams.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Spite posted:

Can we move the Jazz to the East? I'd love to see them play a bunch of those teams.

This but Memphis. It's simple geography folks

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spite posted:

Well, part of the Jazz will be moving east anyway

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Getting enough distance from the Lebron-Heat era is making me miss it.

If you were in Cleveland it sucked because you had a Ohio sized chip on your shoulder about the whole thing.

I'm happy LeBron got some rings though and I think it was the right move for him in hindsight. He needed to get away from Cleveland, have his own life, and grow up. He did exactly that. A good move.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I haven't posted my favorite dunk from the last few seasons in a while so I'll redo that

Remember when Russ played so hard he got a dent in his face?

then missed no time and came back masked and did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfuXEBa-Bo
Takes the inbound with all 5 Sixers in front of him then fires up the jets

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Spite posted:

the east playoff teams the cavs have played are about on par with the injured west teams the warriors played. probably better. so really you want the warriors to move to the east so they get some actual competition

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

NickRoweFillea posted:

This but Memphis. It's simple geography folks

It should be Minnesota tbh, they get way screwed by geography and are more natural rivals with the other teams in the Midwest. At least Memphis is close to the other southwest teams

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
NBA isn't going to move anything until the cowboys are out of the NFC east, I feel

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Tae posted:

NBA isn't going to move anything until the cowboys are out of the NFC east, I feel

So never :colbert:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Partially torn patellar tendon for David Lee, btw

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 21, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780548&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=55

from here on is some of the best the NBA and SAS has to offer and i hope something this year gets even halfway close to the tension of the fourth quarter of game 7 last year.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

The end of that game was so crazy with the score basically being stuck on 89-89 for like 5 minutes of game time it seemed like

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

illcendiary posted:

Partially torn patellar tendon for David Lee, btw

Hits keep on coming. Dubs luckiest team.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://twitter.com/samesfandiari/status/866165932028067840

illcendiary posted:

The end of that game was so crazy with the score basically being stuck on 89-89 for like 5 minutes of game time it seemed like

Yea I was making GBS threads bricks and my dad was talking poo poo to me at the end after they lost. I was shook as hell.

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 21, 2017

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not gonna call the Warriors cowards because it's' not really their fault they're lucky but a Spurs team sans Kawhi AND Parker can't be that much better than the Celtics, surely?

I don't watch all that many Spurs games, but it feels to me like they're never actually weak. Every lineup they play is at a minimum pretty good: they defend well, they run the offense well, they shoot well, etc. They can be outmatched, but they're almost never embarrassed. And then you mix in Parker and especially Kawhi and suddenly a lot of their lineups are great and they can keep pace with anyone and just roast them if someone else has an especially good game.

The Celtics, meanwhile, have a lot of weaknesses, to the point where, honestly, I would flip it around and say that their strengths are mostly in consistently tearing up bad perimeter and fast-break defense. Sadly, the Cavs don't give up many fast breaks, and they play very good defense all around, so...

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the cavs are one of the worst defensive teams in the league

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

TBeats posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780548&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=55

from here on is some of the best the NBA and SAS has to offer and i hope something this year gets even halfway close to the tension of the fourth quarter of game 7 last year.

Proud

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

rjmccall posted:

I don't watch all that many Spurs games, but it feels to me like they're never actually weak. Every lineup they play is at a minimum pretty good: they defend well, they run the offense well, they shoot well, etc. They can be outmatched, but they're almost never embarrassed. And then you mix in Parker and especially Kawhi and suddenly a lot of their lineups are great and they can keep pace with anyone and just roast them if someone else has an especially good game.

The Celtics, meanwhile, have a lot of weaknesses, to the point where, honestly, I would flip it around and say that their strengths are mostly in consistently tearing up bad perimeter and fast-break defense. Sadly, the Cavs don't give up many fast breaks, and they play very good defense all around, so...

dude Spurs blew 25 point lead, lost by 36, 18. they bad.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

TBeats posted:

What a thrill ride that game was, how fortunate we are to have witnessed it

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ghost Dog posted:

Yup. 22nd in the league in Drtng by the end of the season.
15th in terms of Opp Fast Break Points Allowed.

Basically went out of their way to prove that coasting in the regular season exists, as if it weren't immediately apparent to folks that have eyes.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

Or they just realize the regular season means nothing and didn't kill themselves on that end for an extra few wins.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Niwrad posted:

Or they just realize the regular season means nothing and didn't kill themselves on that end for an extra few wins.

i dont think they are secretly the defensive juggernaut that guy claimed, despite the fact that they were clearly not trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ghost Dog posted:

i dont think they are secretly the defensive juggernaut that guy claimed, despite the fact that they were clearly not trying.

Yeah, I guess that's true too.
LeBron coasts, but the rest of the team is kinda not very good defensively.

Cavs players with career 0 or lower DBPM:
Kyrie Irving
Channing Fry
Kyle Korver
Kevin Love
Richard Jefferson
James Jones
Kay Felder
JR Smith
Deron Williams
Derrick Williams
Dahntay Jones

(that's everyone except Shumpert, Thompson and LeBron. Also Tavares but I'm not sure if he's actually on the team)

You probably need good defenders to have a good defense. Also a coach might help.

• Locked thread